Paul Onuachu

niceandfriendly

5 hours ago, Chez said:

You can sit on the fence. The club can't. Will he score 25 goals next season. Yes or no?

Only one player did on the championship this season. You’re setting the bar pretty high. Mid teens is, seemingly, adequate if others contribute .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Blokes a donkey, and we shouldn’t be gambling on whether he can or can’t cut it in the Championship. Sell him and put that money towards a striker that has been a success in that league previously.

Who’s going to buy him for anything like what we paid or are you suggesting we should give him away?  Tall Paul has a chance of being a successful striker at championship level there are plenty of examples of outstanding championship strikers who have failed to make the step up (Armstrong, Adams, Billy Sharp, Jordan Rhodes etc).  Buying someone proven at that level will cost a fortune top level championship strikers don’t come cheap just look at what we paid for Adams and Armstrong!

Edited by a1ex2001
  • Like 4

Could be a Raziak type poacher, but the concerns over his fitness are even higher in the Championship. You don’t really want to have to sub someone after 60m unless they are something special. 
Depends on what we end up being, if we are a team who creates loads of chances it might work as he can clearly finish looking at his record, 

8 hours ago, SaintZamboni said:

Only one player did on the championship this season. You’re setting the bar pretty high. Mid teens is, seemingly, adequate if others contribute .

fair enough, I just used 25 because Sir Rickie scored about that number in the championship. That is a high bar. Maybe 20 goals would have been more realistic, but Tella got what, 17? 15 goals in 46 games isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Che scored 22 for Brum, Armstrong 28 for Blackburn. Piroe scored 22 and 19 the last two seasons for a very average Swansea.

He’s literally been given 1 half chance since he signed for us. 

I have absolutely no idea how good or bad he is; and neither does any other saints fan (unless you’ve watched a lot of Belgium football.)

impossible to have an opinion on this one. We just have to trust that the muppets in charge that see him on the training ground can make an informed decision. 

• Like 7

I just don’t think he fits with the style of play or tactics Martin will employ…too immobile, although he can see a good pass now and again. One things for sure, there appears to be a lot goals scored in the Championship (I’m sure some stato will correct me if I’m wrong), so chancing our arm on a striker who has lost his way seems a big risk. Despite all of this, we’ll probably end up keeping him another season to ‘replace’ the departing Che.

6 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

He’s literally been given 1 half chance since he signed for us. 

I have absolutely no idea how good or bad he is; and neither does any other saints fan (unless you’ve watched a lot of Belgium football.)

impossible to have an opinion on this one. We just have to trust that the muppets in charge that see him on the training ground can make an informed decision. 

Too many decisions have been based on performances on the training ground. There is a big gulf between there and a real game.

I feel sorry for him. He's come here, presumably been told that he's the player we want to score the goals to get us out the shit, sees the manager who supposedly wanted him basically sack himself the day he made his debut, then, gets fed scraps, hits the woodwork what? twice? Barely sees a cross other than that stuck on his head and is asked to play a style that doesnt suit him in a league he doesnt know !

Hardly set up to succeed was he ?

• Like 8

I'm of the opinion that he simply hasn't had a chance, I find it hard to be overly critical or overly positive about him - I have no idea how he plays, and neither did we as a squad I don't think.

I'm sure he'll do well at a club where he can play again, as he's always scored goals.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

He scores most of his goals, and there have been plenty, getting across defenders and being first to a cross or pass in the penalty area. Selles was a twat trying to use him in a press and neutralising him. Get him into the box with pace out wide and plenty of service and he'll get goals for us or sombody else.

• Like 17

6 minutes ago, derry said:

He scores most of his goals, and there have been plenty, getting across defenders and being first to a cross or pass in the penalty area. Selles was a twat trying to use him in a press and neutralising him. Get him into the box with pace out wide and plenty of service and he'll get goals for us or sombody else.

Exactly this. He has not been given a chance to be effective because of Selles tactics.

• Like 9

23 hours ago, Chez said:

Selles immediately recognised he wasn't good enough for the Prem, which is why he didn't pick him.  And I don't blame him. Poor man's Kev Francis. You can see that in his youtube video. Yes he scored some goals, but he just ain't good enough for the Prem. It annoys me so much that someone actually got paid to scout players and they came up with him.

In fairness that doesn't mean much, since Selles was clueless.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

How can people call Onuachu awful. If he’d played every game and not scored then yes I can see why.

He didn’t choose to not play. He wasn’t picked.

He was signed for a manager for a certain style of football and subsequently that style was tossed out the window two weeks later.

It was a bizarre signing all round but calling him crap and awful is a bit far fetched given he played about forty minutes since January.

Che Adams and Adam Armstrong have been fucking abysmal (if we’re using this Onuachu logic), and yet there are people on social media saying they’re going to smash it in the Championship next season. 😂

Good luck to Onuachu wherever he goes next, but I imagine it’ll only be a loan, or a hefty cut price fee, probably like Orsic.

• Like 28
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

How can people call Onuachu awful. If he’d played every game and not scored then yes I can see why.

He didn’t choose to not play. He wasn’t picked.

He was signed for a manager for a certain style of football and subsequently that style was tossed out the window two weeks later.

It was a bizarre signing all round but calling him crap and awful is a bit far fetched given he played about forty minutes since January.

Che Adams and Adam Armstrong have been fucking abysmal (if we’re using this Onuachu logic), and yet there are people on social media saying they’re going to smash it in the Championship next season. 😂

Good luck to Onuachu wherever he goes next, but I imagine it’ll only be a loan, or a hefty cut price fee, probably like Orsic.

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

• Like 4

I get that he hardly played but when he did his first touch was on a par with a dumper truck 😊 !

Having said that we are going to be in a lower league which may afford him a chance to shine but it really will be down to the manager to see if he can fit him into a regular system or perhaps even groom him as an 'impact sub' !!

Personally I have my doubts but it might be worth keeping him rather than taking a whacking loss !!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Whose Moi signed for then ?

He won't want to be out of pocket from July so let me guess some shitty Turkish (not the poster) team

Swear I saw him at the drive through in Hedge End.  Apparently his work out of the kitchen is outstanding.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Wonder how Tall Paul got on with the pre season 'Bleep' tests?

Narrowly beaten by one of the ground staff at Staplewood using a ride on lawnmower on an adjacent pitch. 

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Haha 1