Brentford 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

AlexLaw76

5 hours ago, BotleySaint said:

Granted new signings need time to bed in. But given our position I don't think we can afford them that time. We need quality out on the field right away not the same poor players again and again. 

If we grant new signings time to bed in, how come Bree walks into the starting line-up against Newcastle in a cup semi-final?

• Like 9

Just now, Viking Saint said:

If we grant new signings time to bed in, how come Bree walks into the starting line-up against Newcastle in a cup semi-final?

And by the same token, how does Bednarek just swan straight back into the starting 11? It's no surprise that the flood gates have opened with him in the side by the way, there is a reason the club wanted shot of him in the summer. For some reason we've painted it as a positive that he's back, in place of the players we signed to improve on him FFS.

• Like 20

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

And by the same token, how does Bednarek just swan straight back into the starting 11? It's no surprise that the flood gates have opened with him in the side by the way, there is a reason the club wanted shot of him in the summer. For some reason we've painted it as a positive that he's back, in place of the players we signed to improve on him FFS.

We seemed to have cut out the ‘collapse after conceding’ habit, no shock it’s back the last two games when he’s started. He is dire, I can’t believe he’s back.

• Like 5

Some fans, not many admittedly, stuck up for Janny B after the Newcastle game. The guy is useless. Just watched highlights from today and on their second goal the ball is out wide and he has a fellow defender in front of him trying to block. So what does our Janny B, an international defender no less do, well he adopts a position on the same parallel as his team mate instead of trying to block a different line. It is just schoolboy stuff.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Now this is confusing. Is Janny B back because corporal fucking Jones wanted more experience in the team (like he clearly said), or because he listened to those meddling kids when he shouldn't?

He needs to tell us when the meddling started so we know exactly what he is and isn't responsible for.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Now this is confusing. Is Janny B back because corporal fucking Jones wanted more experience in the team (like he clearly said), or because he listened to those meddling kids when he shouldn't?

He needs to tell us when the meddling started so we know exactly what he is and isn't responsible for.

Amusingly in his post match interview he talks about how we couldn’t defend before he was here and highlighted a few of these things in his interview for the job now he’s picking one of the biggest culprits of shite defending for the last 3-4 seasons over a player who has been out best defender this season or is it because he’s being told to do it by other people? I can’t keep up 🤣🤣

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Amusingly in his post match interview he talks about how we couldn’t defend before he was here and highlighted a few of these things in his interview for the job now he’s picking one of the biggest culprits of shite defending for the last 3-4 seasons over a player who has been out best defender this season or is it because he’s being told to do it by other people I can’t keep up 🤣🤣

His pre match presser, he said that HE would be picking the BEST team based on the players available.

What else is he lying about now he's admitted that isn't true and the pesky meddling kids are in charge at the moment?

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He contradicts himself all the way through that really, but that's just a consistent theme with everything he does. The main takeaway is that he's thrown a lot of players under the bus there, and maybe some coaches - he's not named names, but people will know who he was referring to and trust me this will not have gone down well.

Mutiny in the camp is not far away me thinks.

He even said that he was baffled why the crowd was booing lavia's substitution as if he was "running the game". How the hell did we end up with him? I mean Ralph did run out of ideas sure but this guy is simply incompetent. I guess SR didn't care to find out what sort of person this loon actually is before hiring him.

• Like 1

That BBC interview has left me fuming. The "It's all my faut" caveat followed by four minutes of explaining why it is in fact the players' fault.

I'm so fucking over listening to this fucking tool play out his fucking imposter syndrome over and over again post-match. I do not give a solitary flying fuck about what he believes he's achieved in his career and am utterly, utterly bored of hearing him self-obsess and fold himself inside out every time a microphone is stuck in his face because he knows deep down that no-one believes he's up to the job. I'm convinced that the reason he sounds like a fucking lunatic every time he opens his mouth is that he's terrified he's not good enough for the Prem, either.

So I really wish everyone would just face facts and admit what we can all see - that the experiment hasn't worked. It's time to shake hands and move on. Of course, we've totally fucked ourselves by allowing a relegation rival to hire the fella who most likely could have saved us, but if SR really have got the mustard to protect their investment they'll fork out for Poch or Benitez and prey to Nathan's fictional fucking god that there's a miracle left for us.

Such fucking needless vandalism of the club, honestly.

Edited by Ralph Fastenbüttl
  • Like 22

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

His pre match presser, he said that HE would be picking the BEST team based on the players available.

What else is he lying about now he's admitted that isn't true and the pesky meddling kids are in charge at the moment?

I don’t get why statistically the best manager in Europe is letting himself be bossed around by people who don’t know what they’re doing?

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Amusingly in his post match interview he talks about how we couldn’t defend before he was here and highlighted a few of these things in his interview for the job now he’s picking one of the biggest culprits of shite defending for the last 3-4 seasons over a player who has been out best defender this season or is it because he’s being told to do it by other people? I can’t keep up 🤣🤣

Haha you couldn’t make this shit up. He is a fucking clueless loon. Never wanted him,  but never in my wildest imagination did I think he would be or could be this hilariously bad.

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

That BBC interview has left me fuming. The "It's all my faut" caveat followed by four minutes of explaining why it is in fact the players' fault.

I'm so fucking over listening to this fucking tool play out his fucking imposter syndrome over and over again post-match. I do not give a solitary flying fuck about what he believes he's achieved in his career and am utterly, utterly bored of hearing him self-obsess and fold himself inside out every time a microphone is stuck in his face because he knows deep down that no-one believes he's up to the job. I'm convinced that the reason he sounds like a fucking lunatic every time he opens his mouth is that he's terrified he's not good enough for the Prem, either.

So I really wish everyone would just face facts and admit what we can all see - that the experiment hasn't worked. It's time to shake hands and move on. Of course, we've totally fucked ourselves by allowing a relegation rival to hire the fella who most likely could have saved us, but if SR really have got the mustard to protect their investment they'll fork out for Poch or Benitez and prey to Nathan's fictional fucking god that there's a miracle left for us.

Such fucking needless vandalism of the club, honestly.

Yep, that's exactly it. Even Luton fans are getting fed up with him, and he's not even there anymore! They don't want him bringing up Luton in every single interview he has with us, because that's all he's doing.

You could script his pressers.

Reporter - ''So, Nathan, you've lost again - this is your 14th loss on the bounce, what are your views?''

Nj - ''With the greatest of respect this club has been losing a lot of games before I came here. At Luton we achieved amazing things on a shoe-string budget, I was statistically the best manager in the world.''

Reporter - ''But Nathan, that doesn't really explain why you are losing now does it?''

NJ - ''I mean this with the greatest of respect, but as I said these players have been losing for a long time. They were bad before I came here. At Luton we lived and died by hard work, aggression and passion. We need that here, because at Luton we achieved so much on a shoe-string budget. God-willing I can turn it around''

Reporter - ''But Nathan, you've been relegated. You haven't turned it around'''

NJ - ''That wasn't down to me, look at what happened at this club over many years. When I was given time just look at what I did at Luton, did I mention I was the best manager in Europe?''

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Before I've read any comments - I knew we'd lost that game before a ball was kicked when I saw Ely, Diallo and Bednarek starting. In fairness, I thought Bednarek did ok, but ELy and Diallo were predictably woeful. I'd really like to know just what is Jones's thinking when that was the most important game of his managerial career with us? Why would you not want to start your best players in the best team you can put out? 

Thought Suleman looked good. Bree worked hard. Salisu played well. 

Our new giraffe guy - well, doesn't matter if you're 6'7" tall, if you don't jump you'll be beaten in the air by a 5'10 defender who jumps. Looks a lump. Hopefully will get up to speed with the physicality and speed of the PL fast.

Che...ha,ha,ha,ha,ha, errr not!...stopped being funny now. Think the guy is trying to create his own entire blooper reel of missed sitters. Contrast between his conviction and Mee's there for all to see.

Bazunu did what Bazunu does best, picking the ball out of the net.

We are so down with this joker it's not funny. After the uplift and hope of our closing day transfer window, he managed to suck all the air out of the room - genius.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Quick look on the Brentford forum and many of them saying they didn't play well and that we are the worst team they've seen since promotion. That's our level now. Thanks a lot Sport Republic, you bunch of fucking clowns. 

They didn't even need to get out of first gear. In fact they weren't great at all. You don't have to be to comfortably beat us these days though. 

If we are to get out of this we need everyone in unison and all fighting for the cause.

A manager the fans are behind and the players will run over hot coals for is what we need to give us any chance. 

Edited by EBS1980
Typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

If we are to get out of this we need everyone in unison and all fighting for the cause.

A manager the fans are behind and the players will run over hot coals for is what we need to give us any chance. 

Also need a manager who doesn't constantly blame others for his own tactical retardation. I've already had enough of him. He's so unlikeable as a person let alone a premier league manager.

• Like 4

Systems don't win games? Is he for real? When Ralph was here we had a identify and style of play which included formation. What's the point of having a manager or training sessions? 

That's just like saying: 

" what you want us to do gaffer ? "

" hoof it up top to Les lads! " 

Is Rasmus picking the squad and formation ? 

Or is Jones just this useless 

42 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Does anyone know where I can listen to post match reactions from solent? I've listened to the Jones and jwp interviews but I wanted to hear what the analysts had to say. 

Jo Tessem was pretty scathing.

Basically said that Brentford were better than us in every department.

6 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

Jo Tessem was pretty scathing.

Basically said that Brentford were better than us in every department.

Just had a listen. Adam seemed pretty shell-shocked by the interview with Jones. Said he's never owned being a Premier league manager. Reading between the lines I think Adam is quite shocked about what Jones is like. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, coalman said:

Here's the full BBC interview
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64486322

He starts off better (suspect he got a bollocking) but then goes back to blaming the players. It's because he's tried to give players what they want and it's about a system that suits him, not the players.

Watching that he seems like he's losing it. Doubting himself, listening to fan criticism, taking all that and the pressure too much to heart. How can he seriously manage when he can't control his own headspace and emotions. He's just gone on national tv and said a load of emotional untempered comments (some of which read like threats to the players / criticisms of player behaviour behind the scenes), with seemingly no thought for man management of player confidence. Even if its only for his own mental well being, surely time for him to be gone? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Serious question: If SR tried to hire a manager to sabotage any chance of us staying in the Premier League, could they have done any better than Nathan Jones?

Yes. But that doesn't change the fact that they sacked Ralph and hired this guy. In effect relegating us.

Jones is a poor manager and the interviews today were a car crash but the responsibility for relegation sits with the senior management team. The owner has backed us with the cash but the decisions at management level have been shite and that is what has condemned us. It’s sad really as there is a decent lower mid table team there but the decisions at management level have been atrocious .

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

Jones is a poor manager and the interviews today were a car crash but the responsibility for relegation sits with the senior management team. The owner has backed us with the cash but the decisions at management level have been shite and that is what has condemned us. It’s sad really as there is a decent lower mid table team there but the decisions at management level have been atrocious .

Couldn't have put it better myself

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Viking Saint said:

In fairness, Bree know how Jones wants him to play from Luton. Don't know why Bednarek has come straight in though

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I don’t get why statistically the best manager in Europe is letting himself be bossed around by people who don’t know what they’re doing?

Good managers live and die on the decisions they make. Not on how or what advice brought them to that decision. 

Edited by Toadhall Saint

42 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Just had a listen. Adam seemed pretty shell-shocked by the interview with Jones. Said he's never owned being a Premier league manager. Reading between the lines I think Adam is quite shocked about what Jones is like. 

Like a rabbit on speed caught in the headlights of a juggernaut?

• Like 1

Jones comes across as someone who knows he has fallen into a fantastic job but also knows he is way out of his depth. This is why we have no systems or shape and results are bombing. He then has to face being interviewed after games and is clearly either winging it or, he's thinking pre-interview of a new excuse for the latest debacle. To protect himself he is resorting to the comfort blanket of blabbering on about what he achieved at Luton and almost imploring people to believe that he is really a brilliant coach. The harsh reality is Ankersen made a catastrophic error in appointing him and this whole sorry saga can only end one way. Ankersen now needs to man-up, bite the bullet and admit he got this completely wrong before it does any more damage to the club we love and, not least, the mental state of the man he wrongly appointed..

• Like 7

2 hours ago, coalman said:

Here's the full BBC interview
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64486322

He starts off better (suspect he got a bollocking) but then goes back to blaming the players. It's because he's tried to give players what they want and it's about a system that suits him, not the players.

Just a thought, maybe this interview could give SR a reason to sack Jones without making it look like they made a mistake by hiring him. 

SR could say, after the post match interview mr Jones did with the BBC that his position became untenable.

“Mr Jones damaged the relationship and trust between him and the players of SFC that together with Mr Jones we, the board, have mutually agreed it’s best to part ways. SFC would like to thank Mr Jones bla bla bla wishes well bla bla bla”

Just wishing we sack him sooner or later.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

No pressure on that game, I think this is a consistent theme with this team. They'll get the win in the headline games, but when the pressure is on and they need to perform (i.e the league) they wilt. It's been a theme for years.

My thoughts entirely. That's why I wasn't going along with all the bollocks spouted about our second half at Newcastle. When it matters, this lot crumble. Bring back Nigel Adkins. Basics - hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard, trust each other in possession, support each other and play as a team. If we go down with him I'd trust him not to get us relegated to League 1, which looks a possibility right now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, saintant said:

Some fans, not many admittedly, stuck up for Janny B after the Newcastle game. The guy is useless. Just watched highlights from today and on their second goal the ball is out wide and he has a fellow defender in front of him trying to block. So what does our Janny B, an international defender no less do, well he adopts a position on the same parallel as his team mate instead of trying to block a different line. It is just schoolboy stuff.

I said he was the better of our back line on the night, which I still think he was. I'm by no means a fan of him though and never have been.

His defending for their second goal, where Baz left himself completely at sea for too, is worth watching back a few times. Laughable effort. Didn't have the faintest idea of anyone around him so just drifted into a space to just... be in the mix. He is, genuinely, awful.

26 minutes ago, Kingsbridge Saint said:

My thoughts entirely. That's why I wasn't going along with all the bollocks spouted about our second half at Newcastle. When it matters, this lot crumble. Bring back Nigel Adkins. Basics - hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard, trust each other in possession, support each other and play as a team. If we go down with him I'd trust him not to get us relegated to League 1, which looks a possibility right now.

I'd go with this. He'd unite the fan base without question and if we're going down at least let's do it with some fight and organisation