Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Midfield_General

The team just looked more confident, which is a large part of the game.

Yes Chelsea had control of most of the 2nd half but considering the players they had thats no surprise. Guys battled hard and showed us what they can do!

Look forward to MOTD (Yes can say that now living back here!)

• Like 1

Have to admit I thought we were buggered when I saw Bednarek and Ely, and also thought the subs were puzzling at the time, but some heroic defending and a classy first half won the game.

A real cliche but if we play like that the rest of the season we will escape

Up the Ruben, 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Was at the bridge wen Shearer made his debut for us .. Graham baker worldy saw us win 0-1 .. wot was the score at the dell ? 

That’s the second reference to shearers debut against Chelsea - surely it was against Arsenal when he scored a hat-trick? (Or is it a came on as sub/full debut thing) 

I think on the stream they said the last double against Chelsea was in the season he made his debut. 

anyway - great result!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Somehow Selles instilled some belief back into the team. Never showed Chelsea any respect. First half especially we played the game our way and kept on battling all the way. 

First half we looked like Saints at our best under Ralph. High pressure, hunt in packs, put pressure on the opposition and control play high up the field. More of that please. Even the initial 3 subs made were positive, three attacking players coming on rather than retreating to a back 5. Brave sub choices all day. 

JWP is high class, Lavia just so good, those two need to keep fit and on it. It looks like we, finally, just might have something to build on. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Stud mark of doom said:

That’s the second reference to shearers debut against Chelsea - surely it was against Arsenal when he scored a hat-trick? (Or is it a came on as sub/full debut thing) 

I think on the stream they said the last double against Chelsea was in the season he made his debut. 

anyway - great result!! 

Came on for Danny Wallace vs Chelsea for debut. Full debut starting vs Arsenal (hattrick).

• Like 4

BBC interview is up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64607244

Very cool customer. Sounds like he very much wanted the job after Ralph. Good. He holds himself very well, doesn’t seem like a caretaker boss. I like him. A lot. I thought appointing him might be negative from SR, the cheap and easy option, but today’s first half performance and result have changed all that. Loved the first half display, it’s everything I want Saints to be.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 9

4 minutes ago, Stud mark of doom said:

anyway - great result!! 

Yes, Shearers debut and hat-trick was against Arsenal at the Dell. I was there…..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Nice to see we actually took the full allocation at Chelsea for a change.

We have done the last 2-3 times to be fair, when the club don’t shit themselves for a midweek game. 

35 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Just a brilliant footballer.

It’s a real shame that even if we stay up, we probably only have a few months of him left. Be very surprised if he doesn’t end up at Chelsea.

yep, proper shame. Gone cost Chelsea a huge amount if they want though, probably a bit less if we go down.

Remind me. How much was it suggested that City can get him back for?

5 minutes ago, Chez said:

yep, proper shame. Gone cost Chelsea a huge amount if they want though, probably a bit less if we go down.

Remind me. How much was it suggested that City can get him back for?

Buy back in region of £40m but also includes a sell-on clause should he go elsewhere. Imagine the sell-on will be quite hefty as they were reported to be reluctant to let him leave in first place.

3 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Buy back in region of £40m but also includes a sell-on clause should he go elsewhere. Imagine the sell-on will be quite hefty as they were reported to be reluctant to let him leave in first place.

And it wilL need to be enough to stop them just buying him back for 40m and then selling him to Chelsea, for me he looks like a 50-60 million player.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Sadly working today, amazing win!

How did we play? Saw the team which was a bit debatable, but wow, who’d have thought it!?

Just don’t want to trawl through several pages in an hours time. 😅

More together, more forward looking, faster ball movement, passed more than they did first half.

A good performance first half, more backs to the wall second.

Overall an excellent performance and result. Lots of positives.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Why would he want to do that?

Because it’s the same end result of a move to Chelsea and he probably gets a double dip in bonuses and I bet his agent would make a packet!  Money makes the world go round!

I’ve never really worked out how these buy back clauses work if the player says no, it’s something that hasn’t really been tested I guess!

3 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Today was a free hit, Leeds away is the important one. Taking 3pts from Leeds is more important than 3 from Chelsea today 

What an opportunity.  6 points from 2 games?  Potentially out of the bottom three and barrelling momentum. 

• Like 1

First half we bossed it, best since spurs last season.  Second half was backs to wall but fantastic effort and team spirit.  Shout out to Baz - as others said his best game for us.  Tall Paul I thought was excellent but has only 40 mins in the tank.  
All did well though and subs pretty good - thought Theo did well and was both an outlet and disciplined. 
Finally some hope. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Definitely not keeping one eye on the mighty Saints job then.

Don't need him now. Wow, what a difference. Last week, we literally had players running into each other. Today, the same players and everyone knew their place; they were well drilled and when Selles made his triple substitution of Mara, AA & Theo, there were a few in the crowd looking bemused, but they all did a job. Great atmosphere, could see how much it meant to the players when they came over to us at the end of the match - and not once did I hear about Pompey getting battered 4-0 at home. Bring on Leeds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Don't need him now. Wow, what a difference. Last week, we literally had players running into each other. Today, the same players and everyone knew their place; they were well drilled and when Selles made his triple substitution of Mara, AA & Theo, there were a few in the crowd looking bemused, but they all did a job. Great atmosphere, could see how much it meant to the players when they came over to us at the end of the match - and not once did I hear about Pompey getting battered 4-0 at home. Bring on Leeds.

The difference was that the school bs were given specific instructions and they all knew the job that was required of them. It's simple stuff but it's the clarity we need if we are going to get out of this. For the first time this year there's a bit of hope that we could maybe do something. 

Heading home after enjoying a lovely day out in the capital. Cheeky little Gregg's for lunch, decent pint before kick off and made the earlier train home. Oh and a bloody tremendous performance from the team, full of the guts, character and skill we've been crying out for, for ages. And clever tactical stuff from Selles too. Sulemana running at speed off big Paul whose ability to hold the ball up, win headers and use a decent amount of skill in possession meant the ball wasn't always coming straight back at us. A gutsy defence and keeper and even Bednarek stood tall. Having ABK back was important and he did well to last an early yellow card. And, in the middle, Prowsey doing Prowsey things plus another free kick to add to the catalogue. And alongside him was the gem that is Lavia. If Chelsea thought Fernandez was worth £107m, they can double it for Romeo. All in all, rather chuffed!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Because it’s the same end result of a move to Chelsea and he probably gets a double dip in bonuses and I bet his agent would make a packet!  Money makes the world go round!

I’ve never really worked out how these buy back clauses work if the player says no, it’s something that hasn’t really been tested I guess!

I don’t think that really follows, it just means that Man City are getting a slice of the pie for no real benefit to him or his agent. I would have thought they’d be able to negotiate a much larger slice for themselves with fewer people involved, signing directly for Chelsea.

Just now, Marino said:

There must be a reason why Mo is usually one of the first names on the team sheets of Ralph, Jones and now Selles.

Perhaps we should leave it to the guys who see him training day in day out rather than we armchair idiots.

Off the ball positional work, 100%. That's why he's in there, helps us retain a shape.

I'd say it's a means to an end, in the summer we need someone who can do that job but also offer a threat.

1 minute ago, Marino said:

There must be a reason why Mo is usually one of the first names on the team sheets of Ralph, Jones and now Selles.

Perhaps we should leave it to the guys who see him training day in day out rather than we armchair idiots.

Ralph picked him because he had very little choice, it was either him, Redmond, Djenepo, Aribo or Walcott most of the time. It remains to be seen what Selles’ team looks like long term and how that plays out but Jones I wouldn’t trust to pick his own nose.

Overall, I’m not reading much into it. He’s crap.

18 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Today was a free hit, Leeds away is the important one. Taking 3pts from Leeds is more important than 3 from Chelsea today 

well, taking 3 points was pretty damn important today with everyone around us winning. The table would have looked very dire without getting points today.

13 minutes ago, Manuel said:

What an opportunity.  6 points from 2 games?  Potentially out of the bottom three and barrelling momentum. 

What the heck, i'll drink the kool-aid... Statistically possible to be 17th at the end of the day next Sat.

53 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Sadly working today, amazing win!

How did we play? Saw the team which was a bit debatable, but wow, who’d have thought it!?

Just don’t want to trawl through several pages in an hours time. 😅

We came out of the blocks quickly and created a great early chance and never looked back.

We passed it out of the back very well. Every pass was spot on, very crisp and the players touch was great. Lots of really brave stuff in possession, especially from Lavia (who had a great game). We played 4-4-2 and everyone seemed to know what they were doing. Work rate was good, it forced Chelsea to make mistakes, and they made a lot of them. We didn't create much, but we dominated the ball and the play. Onuachu had a very good first half, showing a great first touch, hold u play and keeping possession under pressure. He gave Chillwell a torrid time and almost scored from a nice cross from JWP. Chelsea posed a threat on the break, but not overly scary. We were pretty physical. Lots niggling fouls that unsettled them. We took a couple of `good yellows'. It was a decent attack that forced the foul and JWP did the rest. 

Second half we lost our way a bit. Onuachu was subbed (rightly as he was out on his feet) as was Sulemana (who wasn't overly impressive) and Armstrong. We had fresh legs, but they spent a lot of time chasing after Chelsea who stepped it up. Sterling caused us a few problems, they got behind us a couple of times and they looked sure to score from pull back crosses, but we got bodies in the way, rode our luck a little and fought hard. The goal gave us something to hold on to and we gave it our all. 

Mara went for an overhead kick and basically kicked Azpilicueta's head off. He was down for a long time. 12 minutes of added time made it a nervy end. We wasted a lot of time. The sort of stuff that would do your head in if the roles we reversed. For some reason the ref played 13 minutes, which summed up his performance - not terrible, but ever so slightly annoying - booking ABK and then allowing a similar foul to go unpunished. It matters not.

We were worthy winners. A great backs against the wall second half, but a quality first half.  We didn't create a lot, which is going to bean issue if we are to have any hope of surviving. At least we looked solid, and if we can dominate the middle like we did in the first half today (it bit like when JWP and Romeu were on song) then we can give teams a game. That said, on another day Chelsea could have scored a couple and it could have been as painful as last week. We haven't turned the corner yet... but we have stopped the rot.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Soggy Bottom said:

That makes no sense 3pts is 3pts

I read it as he was referring to taking 3 points 'from' Leeds to get above them/avoid them pulling away, as opposed to it being solely about 3 points for us.

It's a relevant point, but still as you said 3 points for us is 3 points, we just hve to control what's in front of us.

Edited by S-Clarke

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Off the ball positional work, 100%. That's why he's in there, helps us retain a shape.

I'd say it's a means to an end, in the summer we need someone who can do that job but also offer a threat.

he's got a great first touch, so always looks comfortable. His problem is that he just doesn't offer much in terms of creativity. He lacks pace, doesn't dribble and hardly ever picks a pass. There was a great break opportunity in the second half and with more quality we'd have been in but his through ball was pathetic. There is too much of that. If you are going to play in a more attacking midfield role, you have to deliver and he just hasn't. Maybe in a flat four man midfielder the expectation to do that is less.