Ruben Selles

Dusic

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

No chance does he deserve to be our manager next season.  New broom please

I'll reserve judgement until the end of the season, although I still expect us to go down.

As I see it:

Stay up - the Board will offer him the job, and if he manages that he'll have deserved it from what he inherited. (concern re a repeat of the Hughes situation).

Go down fighting - he'll start next season and we'll have the give him  10 games type of situation hanging over us (very Saintsy type of management from the top showing the dithering that has helped get us in this mess)

Go down, with limp displays - 'thank you and we're looking elsewhere'. (but please don't let Rasmus W. Ankersen near the selection as he is probably the single most dominant factor in our demise this season).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

100% this. After what we've had to endure this season, we look so much better under Selles. We won't win every game, but we are battling and grinding out points.

Credit to Selles for the improvements certainly,but we're grinding out the difficult points, but not the bread and butter ones you need to win. 

• Like 2

We are still hopeless as we still don’t have a player who can score goals and we have a keeper with whom you know how many we conceded by knowing the number of shoots on target. Despite our busy and splendid January transfer window, we did not play anyone we bought in January for the starting. What is the problem with Tall Paul and Orisc? The latter wasn’t even on the bench. 

Edited by HKsaint
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, HKsaint said:

We are still hopeless as we still don’t have a player who can score goals and we have a keeper with whom you know how many we conceded by knowing the number of shoots on target. Despite our busy and splendid January transfer window, we did not play anyone we bought in January for the starting. What is the problem with Tall Paul and Orisc? The latter wasn’t even on the bench. 

And yet we've picked up 8 points from 6 which if we continue at that rate may be just enough to keep us up? Not sure what your point is? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, HKsaint said:

Confusing post. We scored 3 goals, Adams and Theo from open play. I don't think you can look at Bazunu for any of the goals y/day, if you're really nit-picking maybe, but the first for example was down to a wandering Perraud and a non-tracking back Ely.

I've seen Orsic play a few games, against Grimsby the last one, and to say he was inept is being generous. He's done nothing to get mins ahead of anyone else. It's another mysterious case of ''they're not playing, so they become world-beaters''.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Confusing post. We scored 3 goals, Adams and Theo from open play. I don't think you can look at Bazunu for any of the goals y/day, if you're really nit-picking maybe, but the first for example was down to a wandering Perraud and a non-tracking back Ely.

I've seen Orsic play a few games, against Grimsby the last one, and to say he was inept is being generous. He's done nothing to get mins ahead of anyone else. It's another mysterious case of ''they're not playing, so they become world-beaters''.

Yeh mainly Elyonoussi completely switching off, Perraud had gone round on the cover so don't think you can fault him. Porro then absolutely hammers it and from that close Bazanu has no chance, you either hope it hits you or the guy skies it. Honestly all 3 of their goals had a little bit luck in them, the way Porro hit it it could have gone anywhere not sure it was the most composed finish. Then the Kane header probably isn't a goal if we don't lose two centre-backs to injury and the other one it's the bounce that takes it over the keeper, he's not really hit that cleanly but the bounce takes it into the top corner. 

Not sure it can be claimed we are 'hopeless', not very good certainly but the team are working hard, they seem to be better organised and there is plenty of fight there, but overall just not enough quality to make the difference especially in the 'on paper' easier games against teams that defend deeper. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I don’t think it is the case of not playing so become world beaters at all, all of us pretty much thought Orsic looked the nuts when we’re signing him . His pedigree was good having scored hatrick against spurs a beautifull curled effort against West Ham and vs morocco and also scored vs chelsea  so his pedigree is there ..ok he looked off the pace in the games he did play but could be just a not fit thing and there’s also the chance he had a fall out behind the scenes so silly to cross him off.

what I find frustrating is we would rather revert to playing moi every week who is concrete rock solid proven in offering absolutely nothing, then giving games to the likes of edozie Orsic arribo even sulemana yesterday ..

these players should have been bought to oust moi and make him about 6th choice Am but instead they don’t get much of a chance and he’s still there offering nothing every game 

it’s better to try something that could work and give you something differant then sticking with proven poor ?

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Yeh mainly Elyonoussi completely switching off, Perraud had gone round on the cover so don't think you can fault him. Porro then absolutely hammers it and from that close Bazanu has no chance, you either hope it hits you or the guy skies it. Honestly all 3 of their goals had a little bit luck in them, the way Porro hit it it could have gone anywhere not sure it was the most composed finish. Then the Kane header probably isn't a goal if we don't lose two centre-backs to injury and the other one it's the bounce that takes it over the keeper, he's not really hit that cleanly but the bounce takes it into the top corner. 

Not sure it can be claimed we are 'hopeless', not very good certainly but the team are working hard, they seem to be better organised and there is plenty of fight there, but overall just not enough quality to make the difference especially in the 'on paper' easier games against teams that defend deeper. 

For their first goal we could both see that their right hand side had plenty of room as there had been several times earlier. There was so much space that I said to my grandson that it must be a deliberate way of playing and then a fraction of a second later Porro scored, off the underside of the bar if one report is correct. I didn’t notice that Elyonoussi was missing but it’s not unusual not to notice him. 

19 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

I like Selles think he is doing okay 👍 players seem to like him and are playing for him. 

I'm willing to give him a chance to build something even if we go down

This is how I feel, too. He hasn't really had a chance to shape his own team so would be good to see his side with a pre season in the Championship.

I very much doubt we will be in the PL next season, which in a weird way makes me a little bit excited, somehow? Not sure my excitement makes sense really, as it will be a bit of a shitter for the club. 

52 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I don’t think it is the case of not playing so become world beaters at all, all of us pretty much thought Orsic looked the nuts when we’re signing him . His pedigree was good having scored hatrick against spurs a beautifull curled effort against West Ham and vs morocco and also scored vs chelsea  so his pedigree is there ..ok he looked off the pace in the games he did play but could be just a not fit thing and there’s also the chance he had a fall out behind the scenes so silly to cross him off.

what I find frustrating is we would rather revert to playing moi every week who is concrete rock solid proven in offering absolutely nothing, then giving games to the likes of edozie Orsic arribo even sulemana yesterday ..

these players should have been bought to oust moi and make him about 6th choice Am but instead they don’t get much of a chance and he’s still there offering nothing every game 

it’s better to try something that could work and give you something differant then sticking with proven poor ?

All of us is a bit of a stretch. Personally I doubt many of of us knew anything about him, bar his pedigree in Europe and Internationally. He was a punt at that price, there is something not quite right somewhere though - never been linked with any big clubs, only flatters of interest from WBA and Burnley in recent seasons (which never came to fruition either).

Not quite sure what it is, but I have a feeling there is something off in his makeup which has put clubs off of him. We just panicked I think.

For me RS offers pretty much more of the same. Simply put if we want to stay up we have to do things differently. Attacking sides, taking the game to the opposition and starting to be a little bit ‘horrible’. Certain players that are constantly picked, like ME don’t offer this. He may be a ‘safe’ player but at the moment we don’t need ‘safe’, we need game changers.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

All of us is a bit of a stretch. Personally I doubt many of of us knew anything about him, bar his pedigree in Europe and Internationally. He was a punt at that price, there is something not quite right somewhere though - never been linked with any big clubs, only flatters of interest from WBA and Burnley in recent seasons (which never came to fruition either).

Not quite sure what it is, but I have a feeling there is something off in his makeup which has put clubs off of him. We just panicked I think.

Out of all of our January signing he was the one I’d say most of the fanbase were across the board happy with .. look at the Orsic thread,zero questioning or negativity towards this signing .. many thinking he could be our next tadic, and how he actually looks like he has end product unlike most of our options 

I have a suspicion maybe he had a fall out behind the scenes or that  his fitness is way way below par .. he looked like he had such finesse in his shots when cutting in 🧐

16 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Out of all of our January signing he was the one I’d say most of the fanbase were across the board happy with .. look at the Orsic thread,zero questioning or negativity towards this signing .. many thinking he could be our next tadic, and how he actually looks like he has end product unlike most of our options 

I have a suspicion maybe he had a fall out behind the scenes or that  his fitness is way way below par .. he looked like he had such finesse in his shots when cutting in 🧐

Agree, think there has to be something else beyond just not good enough, he's hardly had a look in and he's clearly caused trouble to good teams in the past as shown by his European performances, plus the guy is a regular in one of the best international sides around. Got to be an injury or he's having a really tough time settling or something or he's had a falling out with someone. 

17 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

For me RS offers pretty much more of the same. Simply put if we want to stay up we have to do things differently. Attacking sides, taking the game to the opposition and starting to be a little bit ‘horrible’. Certain players that are constantly picked, like ME don’t offer this. He may be a ‘safe’ player but at the moment we don’t need ‘safe’, we need game changers.

Sounds like you think we ought to be more aggressive and on the front foot

• Haha 2

When Nat Jones was here it felt throughout like he was attempting to learn on the job.  Selles is also obviously learning on the job, but there are promising signs that he is actually capable of learning and improving.  Personally, in the main enjoying the football again despite our current purgatory.   

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You really do have to question people who continuously select Elyounoussi as our attacking threat and then wonder why we can't score.

At least he's finally done away with Lyanco, but I'm still totally and uttery baffled by what managers see in Elyounoussi. Quite bizarrely I imagine he will have a lot of interest as a free agent in the summer, can't quite put my finger on why anyone rates him.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

Absolute shit, don't worry he's a nice guy who players like, he is Ralph mk2 slow boring shit sideways 4222, we needed to go all out and leave nothing on the pitch for last 15 games instead we get that half arsed tripe, massive clear out needed including the clown Ankerson and bellend Semmens 

Edited by danjosaint
  • Like 3

He's done ok but ok was never going to help us out of this mess with the dross in the squad. Having said that I'd have liked him to have really gone for it from the first whistle in every game but I don't think that's in his DNA. Get someone new in for next season but, under no circumstances, allow Rasmus Ankerssen and his fancy algorithms and spreadsheets any say in who we appoint.

13 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Keeps picking the wrong side

What does that even mean? We've had three managers picking the "wrong side" this season.

What exactly is the right side from this squad of slurry? Everyone that doesn't get selected suddenly becomes a theoretical world beater - until they get picked and it turns out they're not. 

It seems painfully obvious that we're just rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic at this stage. The quality isn't there, no matter how you configure it.

Whether Selles is a long term bet as manager is a separate issue. But he's not doing any worse than his predecessors this season, which suggests the problems don't begin or end with who the manager is.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

What does that even mean? We've had three managers picking the "wrong side" this season.

What exactly is the right side from this squad of slurry? Everyone that doesn't get selected suddenly becomes a theoretical world beater - until they get picked and it turns out they're not. 

It seems painfully obvious that we're just rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic at this stage. The quality isn't there, no matter how you configure it.

Whether Selles is a long term bet as manager is a separate issue. But he's not doing any worse than his predecessors this season, which suggests the problems don't begin or end with who the manager is.

Bang on 

58 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

He is fucking shit.  Keeps picking the wrong side and keeps with the recycling shit.

No way can he be our manager in the Championship.  Get shot of that Ankersen clown as well.

Yeah just get rid of one of the owners just like that 

• Like 1

For him to have watched us all season and to still think that moi is gonna offer us anything is criminal ..

it’s also fairly obvious that Alcaraz should be starting in a 433 

no sulemana after he looked electric last week too..

Majority of his team selections seem to be going towards playing the players who are proven to be not good enough..

I can’t get on board with this guy 

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Surely if we've all learned anything by now, it's that there is no manager who can get what's needed so survive out of these players.

For me, the biggest lesson or mistake is, don't promote from within on a long term basis. Needed a new manager who knew nothing about these players in my opinion. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, saintant said:

He's done ok but ok was never going to help us out of this mess with the dross in the squad. Having said that I'd have liked him to have really gone for it from the first whistle in every game but I don't think that's in his DNA. Get someone new in for next season but, under no circumstances, allow Rasmus Ankerssen and his fancy algorithms and spreadsheets any say in who we appoint.

It's alright he's probably got Kolo Toure next on the spreadsheet

• Haha 1

Honestly I feel really pissed with selles right now ..

all the signings we made in January .. he starts none of them ..Alcaraz has looked one of our best players recently why is he on the bench?

how can u possibly watch us all season and think yeah elyonoussi is a good idea as one of our attacking tens 

I know there is people who think the likes of Paul Orsic and Sula haven’t been great so far but I’d rather see the likes of these giving a proper try then to keep putting out the same crap every man and his dog have witnessed are not good enough for years.. at least try something differant .. edozie also seems frozen out atm 

It’s like every thing we tried to do in the January window selles is thinking nah I’ve got a better idea let’s bring back the players we know are not good enough instead .. 

Jesus Christ 😱

• Like 8

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

What do you think it means?  A large part of why we are bottom is 3 shit managers who keep picking the wrong players and are tactically inept.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

There is no way this guy can get the gig full time at the end of the season. 

I agree to be honest, he's been there with a prominent role the whole of this sorry season, obvious the recruitment team take huge slice of blame for all the duds we've wasted money on but Selles played his part and needs to go. 

That’s one win in five now for Selles. Relegation form in a relegation dog fight.

He’s been given the job full time on the premise he keeps us up. He won’t be here next season in any capacity. He’s too proud to become an assistant again, and who can blame him?

I think we will struggle in the Championship next season with this team and fear it’ll be a few years until we’re back in the PL. 

Unfortunately I have little hope in this board making the right appointment for us. Unless they totally blindside us with an appointment like Brendan Rodgers (it’ll never happen but it’s the type of boost we need to get this club on track again). 

Lavia and JWP will go, which are big blows. I can’t see other clubs coming in for the rest. 

• Like 1

i think we are making to much about what selles has done,chelsea we nick a goal and then chelsea refuse to score,leicester played us off the park then refuse to score,man united down to 10 men and what are the common denominators over the season,rubin selles and a squad of players with no character

56 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Sack Selles now and offer Potter a project he can’t refuse - rebuild us and rebuild himself 

No way of breaking it to you gently, but it is a project he can, and even if offered, will refuse.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've been pretty warm to Selles. No doubt we have improved marginally, which tbf wasn't that difficult based on the previous shower.

Yesterday did finally confirm to me though he's not the man to bring us back next season imo. The Leeds, Brentford and WHU games are as bad as any other performances this season. Just completely lacking in any type of attack plan.

I hope we can get a few more points and not get completely embarrassed but we need to be thinking for next season now and for me, that shouldn't be with Selles as manager.

I like Selles as a person (hard not to when the previous incumbent was as unlikeable as it gets) but surely we are going to need some fresh impetus to bring us back next season. If Boro don't go up I would go all out for Carrick. He's the kind of guy that might just turn us round and surely the fans would get behind some kind of project.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles