Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Bit off topic but Adam Armstrong has recently sold his house in Winchester and his family have bought a house up north. Should we be worried? 

Perhaps we have a  cunning plan to sell or our players and buy most of Swansea's, the clubs could merge and would be called Southsea, hey, wait, that really doesn't work! 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Bit off topic but Adam Armstrong has recently sold his house in Winchester and his family have bought a house up north. Should we be worried? 

No idea if that was true, but they were looking at houses in Ipswich at the start of the summer as they were fully expecting to move.   But thought that had been binned now. 

Can't see it personally.

Just now, Saint Garrett said:

No idea if that was true, but they were looking at houses in Ipswich at the start of the summer as they were fully expecting to move.   But thought that had been binned now. 

Can't see it personally.

Martin seems to love him. 

16 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Che leaves on a free next year. Means he would likely get a sign on bonus from whoever bought him and very tasty wages. Stay at saints score lots of goals take your pick of the clubs. 
versus : get a bigger wedge than he is on currently with Everton and an extended contract. 
versus : accept saints offer and contract extension. 

it’s clear the third option is the non starter. It’s between the first and second and given he needs relocate to Liverpool and Everton’s recent bad form it’s not clear cut to me he would be delighted to join them. 

I think you also need to factor in the possibility that he gets a long term injury whilst in the last year of his contract. For his own security its probably a wise move taking a new 3 year deal at improved wages. The thing is he has to get his head around is he is at club that has reasonable chance of going down. Bournemouth would be a better move for him.

Personally i think the club are in a better place with regards identifying decent talent and letting him go isnt a big risk.

8 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Can't see it personally.

It definitely is true. Isn't he from the north originally? Maybe just organising things for when he retires and coukd be renting in the meantime. 

The other consideration is are we building a team to get us in to the premier league and then make adjustments or are we building a team that can mainly stay together once in the premier league?

Agree it's not necessarily that simple, but if the thought process is the former, I'd consider keeping Che. But if we're looking to build a team that can stay together and compete in the premiership, Che's not our man. Maybe Piroe is but I'm convinced there's a striker out there somewhere with all the hold up, guile and poaching qualities required.

I just don't want us going in to the next few games with no target man up front. We don't want to be like Leeds who are already playing catch up. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It definitely is true. Isn't he from the north originally? Maybe just organising things for when he retires and coukd be renting in the meantime. 

Considering he's from Newcastle, buying property to rent in East Anglia is a bold strategy on that basis.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

I know him and his family are very close to Che and his, as they're always together...!

Maybe he’s off the Merseyside too? After his performance against Plymouth maybe Liverpool have lined him up instead of Lavia, Caicedo and about 80 other people to play in midfield?

He does indeed hang out a bit with Che, they certainly play golf together. Before the season he was near the top of my ‘please go’ list (McCarthy, Aribo, Mara, Djenepo in case you’re wondering about the others) but he has started well. Probably more impressive v Plymouth despite not scoring. I’d happily keep him around but if he went, even at the same time as Che, I wouldn’t be worried. Long term he doesn’t have a future here IMHO … because long term I hope our future is premier league and he’s just not up to that standard.

Perfectly good attitude, just not good enough. The complete opposite of Mara.

Che not signing a new contract and getting a transfer is a big financial risk for him especially if he suffered a career ending injury. A new contract with a decent salary increase and big incentives may be attractive to him. A really low release clause should we not go up would also mean that he could move on for a big pay day. I honestly believe there is a scenario where everyone can have their cake and eat it.

7 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

Che not signing a new contract and getting a transfer is a big financial risk for him especially if he suffered a career ending injury. A new contract with a decent salary increase and big incentives may be attractive to him. A really low release clause should we not go up would also mean that he could move on for a big pay day. I honestly believe there is a scenario where everyone can have their cake and eat it.

I'd have thought that's us getting a decent fee for him. He is not a Premiership striker. And he's got a bit stale with us. Anyone pointing to his recent goals: the first, decent. The second, my gran could have scored. And she died over a decade ago.

#nosheisnotavailableonafree

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

No, I think he'll have made a hefty profit as house prices in the north are much cheaper.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

VG in Norway reporting that we are close to signing Johan Hove from Groningen. 22 year old CM/AM, No 8 for Groningen and Norway int'l up to U21 level.

The best part about this article is that it translates one of the writers names into English as Eyelash The Lord's Bread.

• Haha 3

For those that are unsure about Shankland, I would say he would be a great signing. For years I have taken a bit of an interest in Dundee United and before he moved to Hearts he played for them and scored shed-loads of goals, just as he is doing now at Hearts.

This article in the Daily Record about him demonstrates how well rated he is: www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/lawrence-shankland-priceless-hearts-asset-30756159

Of course, the likelihood is that these rumours are just made up by some TeamTalk football journalist but we shall see!

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth
Linking the link!!

Out of the players we were linked to earlier in the summer, this is one I was keen on. Will do a great job now and has a shot at stepping up in the PL if we made it - that's what we need to be looking for.

Wonder if it means Bednarek would head off if this went through. Unlikely to want to sit on the bench behind Wood and Stephens.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

VG in Norway reporting that we are close to signing Johan Hove from Groningen. 22 year old CM/AM, No 8 for Groningen and Norway int'l up to U21 level.

Song suggestion All You Need is Hove by the Beatles.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Very disappointed that the Circle of trust are not bragging about their inside information and seem as vague as the circle of the rest of us

Rest assured Nick the CoT have left cryptic clues as we cannot five too much information on the public domain. A member recently posted “we Wood sign a centre back before the end of the window” make of that what you will

• Haha 1

Not sure about Woods which I assume is our main cb signing. It you read Swansea forums he seems like their best cb but they don't really rate all of them and they think Woods is alright and no frills. Not sure they will be devestated to lose him. 

Edited by hypochondriac

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Rest assured Nick the CoT have left cryptic clues as we cannot five too much information on the public domain. A member recently posted “we Wood sign a centre back before the end of the window” make of that what you will

Another said our transfer business looks somewhat messi.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not sure about Woods which I assume is our main cb signing. It you read Swansea forums he seems like their best cb but they don't really rate all of them and they think Woods is alright and no frills. 

Compared with some of our lot he looks like Bobby Moore in his prime.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Very disappointed that the Circle of trust are not bragging about their inside information and seem as vague as the circle of the rest of us

I believe "Circle Jerks" is the most accurate terminology.

but good to see with two decent young players strongly linked.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1