Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

He’s been following me about for months and strangely has never asked who always or chapel end are, which would be the first thing I’d ask if I was being accused of being someone I’d never heard of

Oh he has been me as well - guessing you get the usual laughing emoji to every comment also..? 

It's 100% him. Mickyboy made a comment about a post a 'former' poster made about bertrand in about 2018. The same comment Always use to make and the same one which caught Chapel end out. 

The numpty isn't even smart enough to hide it 🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, goodymatt said:

What do Mason Holgate and Ryan Fraser have in common? It’s been about 4 years since they looked like decent players.

If they aren’t coming in for squad depth and are expected to be starters, that seems a bit of a gamble?

I guess that's why they're loans, a free gamble as such. If it works out, great, if it doesn't, cheerio and we've not lost out financially. That's how I'll look at it anyway.

I personally think Fraser is desperate to prove people wrong. Both of these guys have clean slates in my eyes, judging them solely on how they perform for us at this level and not what went on before.

• Like 8

Sounds like Genk are playing silly buggers with everyone -

Leeds considering withdrawing Paintsil offer

Leeds United considering withdrawing their offer for Genk forward Joseph Paintsil.

The Championship side feel they have made a good and fair offer, but believe Genk have "moved the goalposts" on their valuation.

Genk wanted to do a swap deal with Southampton involving their striker Paul Onuachu but could not come to an agreement.

I’m not a fan of either Fraser or Holgate, both in terms of ability and on-field character. But people are judging them on their ability in the Premier League. They’re playing for us in the Championship, in a team full of players people couldn’t stand in the Prem but now don’t want to leave. We haven’t seemed to include an option to buy in either deal, so it doesn’t seem like we see them as options for the future but for the here and now instead. Both signings make sense, the circus around Tella/Che is just taking people away from that. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Sounds like Genk are playing silly buggers with everyone -

Leeds considering withdrawing Paintsil offer

Leeds United considering withdrawing their offer for Genk forward Joseph Paintsil.

The Championship side feel they have made a good and fair offer, but believe Genk have "moved the goalposts" on their valuation.

Genk wanted to do a swap deal with Southampton involving their striker Paul Onuachu but could not come to an agreement.

I suspect Genk are pretty keen he comes here if that bags them Onuachu. Don't know anything about this bloke though, so not too bothered if we don't get him. We've got enough depth on the wing anyway, even if / when Tella is off. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 1

I've always felt Holgate could be good. If anything i'd have preferred a permanent move. A loan does let us out if he is bad but equally it will be annoying if he is good.

Fraser, not at all a fan of. 4 years ince he's been decent. I'll be especially annoyed if he's meant as a sop for us unnecessrily losing our young quality goalscoring winger.

Saints playing a risky game allowing our better players to leave now clubs are closely matching the prices we set.

I personally expect Tella, Adams to leave and surprisingly Smallbone if someone comes back with an improved offer.

Still say 21 players out which means many loan deals to slash the wage bill.

PS Piroe, what a fuck up because Everton messed us about with Adams as he had to be sold first before replacing. No idea who’s gonna come in but strikers win games and get teams promoted.

• Sad 1

I think Fraser and Holgate would be solid, experienced signings: good for the Championship.

We've all been crying out for some experience to sit alongside the kids for a while: Mee, Coady etc. Now we've got it.

Are they world-beaters? No. But they bring some useful qualities and, um, experience.

The frustration is the assumption of 'Tella is going, and Fraser is the replacement '. Personally I am going to wait a week and see what happens before shitting the bed and kicking the cat.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Saints playing a risky game allowing our better players to leave now clubs are closely matching the prices we set.

I personally expect Tella, Adams to leave and surprisingly Smallbone if someone comes back with an improved offer.

PS Piroe, what a fuck up because Everton messed us about with Adams as he had to be sold first before replacing. No idea who’s gonna come in but strikers win games and get teams promoted.

Any news on Wood?

I haven't really seen much of Fraser recently but doesn't he usually play on the left and cut inside?  Just thinking that would make him more like competition for Edozie (or replacement for Sulemana) than a replacement for Tella.  Obviously they can all play on either wing to an extent but would have thought we would be looking for someone more used to playing on the right if it's to fill a Tella shaped hole.

Edited by revolution saint
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

I suspect Genk are pretty keen he comes here if that bags them Onuachu. Don't know anything about this bloke though, so not too bothered if we don't get him. We've got enough depth on the wing anyway, even if / when Tella is off. 

Would swap Onuachu for an Aunt Sally to be honest. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Suhari said:

I think Fraser and Holgate would be solid, experienced signings: good for the Championship.

We've all been crying out for some experience to sit alongside the kids for a while: Mee, Coady etc. Now we've got it.

Are they world-beaters? No. But they bring some useful qualities and, um, experience.

The frustration is the assumption of 'Tella is going, and Fraser is the replacement '. Personally I am going to wait a week and see what happens before shitting the bed and kicking the cat.

It's a pretty reasonable assumption to make. 

42 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If we find out tomorrow that we've lost Adams and Tella, I think it is reasonable to start publically questioning what Sports Republic are doing. 

Disagree initially, questioning them in eight days time when we have no players join or players of less quality, then yes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trousers said:

One sec, I'll ask the missus if she has any plans for later this evening...

She does, sorry mate.

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's a pretty reasonable assumption to make. 

All window we've been talking about how we have to sell BEFORE we bring people in. Now we sign Fraser and we're assuming he's tellas replacement?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Disagree initially, questioning them in eight days time when we have no players join or players of less quality, then yes.

They will definitely bring players in. They will definitely be of lesser quality. The club will make a big noise out of being stronger. Many in the fan base will lap it up. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, James said:

Wait until the window closes but if the Che replacement is in the same vein as Ryan Fraser on loan then questions should start to be asked. 

What sort of questions?

Q: "Oi! Do you intend to replace all our players with highly experienced loanees who have a good chance in excelling in this division? Do you? And you call that a 'strategy', do you?"
A: "Erm, yeah, quite possibly."

Q: "And I suppose you have no intention of spending the £100m+ made in player sales in the next week?"
A: "I mean, we're in the Championship. Not sure we even could if we wanted to? Especially when we're trying to reduce squad size, not increase it."

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Just now, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

What sort of questions?

Q: "Oi! Do you intend to replace all our players with highly experienced loanees who have a good chance in excelling in this division? Do you? And you call that a 'strategy', do you?"

Q: "And I suppose you have no intention of spending the £100m+ made in player sales in the next week?"
A: "I mean, we're in the Championship. Not sure we even could if we wanted to? Especially when we're trying to reduce squad size, not increase it."

Deluded. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

The evidence of the window suggests we will sell both. 

Yep, that's definitely a possible outcome, maybe even more probable than not. We'll find out for sure in the fullness of time...

Edited by trousers

I do get we have to cut our cloth and all that. But I think with Tella and Che we go up. So selling them is massive (perhaps unnecessary?) risk and for the money we get for them it’s peanuts compared to a return to the prem. 

Hoping for good replacements if they go but who is going to sell good players this late on in the window (apart from us it seems)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Why on earth does the club, who've made the best part of £200m, have to sell before they can buy. Fuck Sports republic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Was quite enjoying my Friday until I read this….

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

Why on earth does the club, who've made the best part of £200m, have to sell before they can buy. Fuck Sports republic. 

I don’t know, I’d have to find out who this other mystery club is and ask some of their fans if they have any idea.

9 minutes ago, Dman said:

Have you not considered it's more about numbers/squad size, rather than finance?

We'd have Adams, Mara, Ballard, Onuachu and Armstrong who can play there - and then we sign Piroe who also wants to play first choice. We almost certainly needed one to go before we can add another, just basic squad management.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Have you not considered it's more about numbers/squad size, rather than finance?

We'd have Adams, Mara, Ballard, Onuachu and Armstrong who can play there - and then we sign Piroe who also wants to play first choice. We almost certainly needed one to go before we can add another, just basic squad management.

For some of those I assume you’re using the phrase “can play there” in the loosest possible sense. 

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Had anyone heard of Pantsil prior to the “link” last week?

Just curious.

Always funny to see during the transfer window how everyone has suddenly watched every league across Europe. 😂

Or could be like you and never heard of anyone but JWP who is definitely staying….

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

At this point I'd be offering Paul out on a free and loaning Mara. 

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Ballard is completely untried, could be another Ryan Seager. You wouldn’t him making much more than cameo appearances this season, he’d be better off going on loan.

Mara, it has been made out in recent weeks, doesn’t have the right attitude.

Onuachu who doesn’t fit our style of play, was brought in for a long ball manager who was replaced a week later.

42 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

What sort of questions?

Yeh, you're right, everything is AWESOME. #wemarchon

it's not often I'm ITK but I can reveal that Tella has just handed in his gear at the training ground and said his goodbyes to the staff.

He's off to Germany.

(EDIT: Gear as in fob and Saints training stuff etc...Not gear as in anything illegal you understand)

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

it's not often I'm ITK but I can reveal that Tella has just handed in his gear at the training ground and said his goodbyes to the staff.

He's off to Germany.

No surprise really - a top German side, working with Xabi Alonso and probably earning a lot more. Good luck to him.

• Like 2