New Manager Thread v3

Dman

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

got Derby to the play off final in his one season there, albeit they finished 6th and miles behind Leeds in 3rd.

He brought in young talent on loan from top Prem clubs, with Mount, Wilson and Tomori particularly successful. Sounds like that (bringing in young talent) will be are continued transfer philosophy next season. 

And along with Mel Morris crippled them financially 

Semmens will be coach.

Anderson will be DoF.

Half time team talks will be replaced by a powerpoint presentation.

Squad numbers are out in favour of this season's overall xG - these will be updated weekly with a green 'up' arrow or a red 'down' arrow to signify the player's current trend on the geeky app that SR own.

No more money needs to be spunked up the wall.

Edited by Weston Super Saint
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

This morning’s Athletic article says Selles to go in the summer to be replaced by a coach rather than a manager. 
Personally I am old school and think a manager works better in domestic football. The players need guidance as well as coaching. Many still hold dear Poch’s abilities to man manage. 
Apparently we also considered Gerrard and Lampard post Jones which is a worry. 
This summer is going to tell us a lot as to the direction we will be going. Tanswell also anticipates Tella leaving. 

That’s good. For what it’s worth I agree with every word.

6 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Surely our new Director of Football would have the main say on our new coach?

Don’t want some vaping hipster with a wanky beard.

Prepare yourself for a young 'tracksuit type' previously dealing with a junior Man City team, even if it's their Girls U16's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Badger said:

Prepare yourself for a young 'tracksuit type' previously dealing with a junior Man City team, even if it's their Girls U16's.

My decision to renew my season ticket is dependent on who our next manager is.  More of Ankersen’s shit and I won’t be bothering.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

My decision to renew my season ticket is dependent on who our next manager is.  More of Ankersen’s shit and I won’t be bothering.

unfortunately I'm with you on that one, I won't be renewing till I see who the manager is next season, a few people I know are doing the same, so I'd suggest to the club they sort it early doors

42 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Potter

I'd say expectations need to be quelled there a little bit.

In the summer you'll have WHU, Leeds, Palace etc looking for new managers. Potter isn't going to join us when those jobs are avaliable, and those clubs would be daft to ignore him if they had the opportunity.

We are a Championship club and we are not going to be recruiting proven, young, PL managers.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Graham Potter is not going to be our manager next season. Honestly unbelievable to me that any Saints fan would think he is going to be.

My guess for him is he just might go and do a David Moyes/Steve McClaren and manage abroad after his big job failure. Germany, Spain. He already has some European managerial experience, so it's a logical step.

If not then yes the usual suspects of mid table middling Prem clubs. Which won't be us.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Pay anyone the right amount and they’ll join (within reason).

Pay Graham Potter the right amount and we are a club I reckon he would seriously consider.

Why are you pretending we are going to be some mega spending club breaking the bank for managers when we're in the Championship?

We will not be offering Graham Potter more money than he can get at any established Premier League club. He will not be "considering" us, he is not going to be our manager.

Not sure if you've been following us this season but Wolves and Villa got big name European managers snd we got a twat from Luton. I am hopeful we will get a decent manager but we will not be blowing Premier League clubs out of the water.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Why are you pretending we are going to be some mega spending club breaking the bank for managers when we're in the Championship?

We will not be offering Graham Potter more money than he can get at any established Premier League club. He will not be "considering" us, he is not going to be our manager.

Not sure if you've been following us this season but Wolves and Villa got big name European managers snd we got a twat from Luton. I am hopeful we will get a decent manager but we will not be blowing Premier League clubs out of the water.

I’ve not in any way, shape or form suggested we will be breaking the bank for anyone.

Ultimately as a club in the Championship (soon), we are not a bad club to be a manager of given our training facilities, stadium, club stature and appeal compared to some other Championship clubs. It counts for a lot.

I’m merely saying that decent managers have dropped down a division and proven to had successes along the way.

If you have the right infrastructure around you then that’s appealing on any front.

I’m sure most would rather manage us than Watford, for example.

Bielsa went to the Championship. Marco Silva dropped down. There are many managers that haven’t necessarily lit the world alight but have done enough to prove they’re capable at that level and this (Steve Cooper), then you have your ambitious and unemployed managers who will have the break and then have a point to prove. 🤣

It’s not rocket science.

Plus Sport Republic have to get this one right, making another risky appointment further alienates the fan base. If they spent that little bit more and we’re forward thinking you’d quickly get a lot of fans inside again.

SR’s PR has been woeful, they need to fix this as soon as possible.

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’ve not in any way, shape or form suggested we will be breaking the bank for anyone.

Ultimately as a club in the Championship (soon), we are not a bad club to be a manager of given our training facilities, stadium, club stature and appeal compared to some other Championship clubs. It counts for a lot.

I’m merely saying that decent managers have dropped down a division and proven to had successes along the way.

If you have the right infrastructure around you then that’s appealing on any front.

I’m sure most would rather manage us than Watford, for example.

Bielsa went to the Championship. Marco Silva dropped down. There are many managers that haven’t necessarily lit the world alight but have done enough to prove they’re capable at that level and this (Steve Cooper), then you have your ambitious and unemployed managers who will have the break and then have a point to prove. 🤣

It’s not rocket science.

Plus Sport Republic have to get this one right, making another risky appointment further alienates the fan base. If they spent that little bit more and we’re forward thinking you’d quickly get a lot of fans inside again.

SR’s PR has been woeful, they need to fix this as soon as possible.

I was specifically replying to you saying "pay Potter the right amount and I reckon we are a club he would seriously consider"

Which is nothing to do with our training ground or comparing us to Watford or all that other irrelevant stuff you've just said.

"pay anyone the right amount and they'll join......pay Potter the right amount and he'll consider us"

That's about pay, and we'd have to blow other Premier clubs out of the water to get Potter to even consider us.

You said it. It's not rocket science.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I was specifically replying to you saying "pay Potter the right amount and I reckon we are a club he would seriously consider"

Which is nothing to do with our training ground or comparing us to Watford or all that other irrelevant stuff you've just said.

"pay anyone the right amount and they'll join......pay Potter the right amount and he'll consider us"

That's about pay, and we'd have to blow other Premier clubs out of the water to get Potter to even consider us.

You said it. It's not rocket science.

That’s what I meant. I mean the point still stands though 😁

Everyone has a price.

Steve Cooper seems to be the option that fits best - suspect he will be out of a job at the end of the season. Think that’s a realistic and good level appointment.

Carrick as a slightly left field option if Boro don’t go up in the play offs, but I don’t think he’d leave the North East for us.

Potter - not a chance in hell. That’s got Palace or West Ham appointment for next season all over it.

Mark Robins - done an excellent job at Cov with next to no budget, play some decent stuff, wouldn’t be the worst appointment.

Probably won’t be any of these obviously, will be an inexperienced overseas manager (sorry, I meant coach).

Edited by ErwinK1961

4 hours ago, hackedoff said:

The board will no doubt persist with Selles until Christmas. When things are no better then they will spend the next couple of months weighing up their options and then appoint another cheap option.

Selles contract is until the end of this season and he isn’t staying.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It just seems a little odd that some are saying "unless we get the manager I want, but don't actually know which one I want, then I'm not going to be a supporter anymore".

Luckily, Bournemouth will have room for you...

For me, it’s not so much who I want, rather it’s who I don’t want.

I don’t want Selles.  

Wish I was an uber supporter like you.  I suppose my almost 50 years Of supporting the club means nothing.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Steve Cooper seems to be the option that fits best - suspect he will be out of a job at the end of the season. Think that’s a realistic and good level appointment.

Carrick as a slightly left field option if Boro don’t go up in the play offs, but I don’t think he’d leave the North East for us.

Potter - not a chance in hell. That’s got Palace or West Ham appointment for next season all over it.

Mark Robins - done an excellent job at Cov with next to no budget, play some decent stuff, wouldn’t be the worst appointment.

Probably won’t be any of these obviously, will be an inexperienced overseas manager (sorry, I meant coach).

Mark Robins for me 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

no, it needs to be someone who has a bit of gravitas, we want to keep as many of the best players as possible, for that we need a manager who'll inspire them to give us another season

Good shout, but a tough ask to:

1.  Get someone with gravitas in.

2.  Keeping those worth keeping.

I get the impression that SR will continue to try and be clever bollocks with the next appointment and will look to offload our most marketable players.

Hopefully, they’ll go on a different direction though.

2 hours ago, gammon cheeks said:

Mark Robins for me 

Think Mark Robins might be one of those managers who fits a particular club, Coventry in this case, but can't do it elsewhere. He didn't pull up trees at Rotherham, Huddersfield or Scunthorpe. There is a possibility as well that they will win the play-offs

• Like 1

Just now, AlexLaw76 said:

Not at all

I don't think it's going to happen by any stretch but if we did carry on the kind of performance we saw against Arsenal, won 3/4 games and got enough points to stay up I think he could be in with a shout. Depends who else is available. 

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't think it's going to happen by any stretch but if we did carry on the kind of performance we saw against Arsenal, won 3/4 games and got enough points to stay up I think he could be in with a shout. Depends who else is available. 

Personally, staying up this season and keeping selles is just postponing the inevitable 

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If we do somehow stay up would people be happy for Selles to stay on?

I'll make a judgement over the coming games. If he gets some wins in those "must win" games then maybe but I'd also want to see greater attacking urgency, not necessarily Arsenal style in the last 10 minutes of Friday, but much more chance creation.

I'm not expecting him to be with Saints next season mind you.

9 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Yes. I might be on my own, and I might be comparing him to Jones. How've, I don't think he is too bad. It's a steep learning curve, and I think he is doing well picking up from where we were, and with the mentality of team has.

If we do manage to stay up (which a lot of dependant on Thursday), then I would love to keep him as manager.

People are forgetting what he inherited. It takes time, and if he does manage to keep him up, then he defo deserves the job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, allsa001 said:

Yes. I might be on my own, and I might be comparing him to Jones. How've, I don't think he is too bad. It's a steep learning curve, and I think he is doing well picking up from where we were, and with the mentality of team has.

If we do manage to stay up (which a lot of dependant on Thursday), then I would love to keep him as manager.

People are forgetting what he inherited. It takes time, and if he does manage to keep him up, then he defo deserves the job.

I'm inclined to agree. He's making some really bad mistakes and unfortunately because of the Jones debacle we don't have a lot of room to forgive those mistakes, but I have seen some good in our performances under him. He needs to be challenged on the subs he makes though. I don't believe for a second that Lavia couldn't go any further than the 88th minute against Arsenal. 

16 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

9 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If Selles keeps us up - which I’m not expecting- then the club are in a bit of a ‘Mark Hughes dilemma’ of ‘well, he deserves it ‘ ….. and unfortunately this will soon become ‘review it in October’ moveable feast.

Not just who is available, but who would be interested, irrespective of which division we’re in. Poch and Nagellsman are currently available, but you’d hope Rasmus and Semmens (or Willcox) don’t factor them into the options when coming to a decision. 

15 minutes ago, Badger said:

If Selles keeps us up - which I’m not expecting- then the club are in a bit of a ‘Mark Hughes dilemma’ of ‘well, he deserves it ‘ ….. and unfortunately this will soon become ‘review it in October’ moveable feast.

Not just who is available, but who would be interested, irrespective of which division we’re in. Poch and Nagellsman are currently available, but you’d hope Rasmus and Semmens (or Willcox) don’t factor them into the options when coming to a decision. 

Viera is the one I keep landing on, whether we stay up or go down. 

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Good shout, but a tough ask to:

1.  Get someone with gravitas in.

2.  Keeping those worth keeping.

I get the impression that SR will continue to try and be clever bollocks with the next appointment and will look to offload our most marketable players.

Hopefully, they’ll go on a different direction though.

Thinks that’s the ideal we’d all like to see. Does such a candidate in terms of Gravitas realistically exist though ?

Potter has been touted on here, but not sure the ‘name’ and style will be enough to persuade the better players their careers will be best served by staying. Same for Cooper. 

Probably right that Rasmus will make an ‘alternative’ appointment, that only he can see the merit in.

18 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Viera is the one I keep landing on, whether we stay up or go down. 

A Viera and Henry combo is something which keeps coming up in my mind as well, the sort of appointment which could galvanise the fanbase and add enough stardust to convince the likes of Alcaraz to stay, whilst having the power to attract players that are probably out of our reach. (It's amazing what happens when you have status at a club in terms of attractiveness, no matter what league you are in)

I think Henry is potentially waiting for the USA National Team Job, but there's nothing stopping him coming here for a year and then progressing. The sort of appointments which lend themselves to our conveyor belt reputation.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

A Viera and Henry combo is something which keeps coming up in my mind as well, the sort of appointment which could galvanise the fanbase and add enough stardust to convince the likes of Alcaraz to stay, whilst having the power to attract players that are probably out of our reach. (It's amazing what happens when you have status at a club in terms of attractiveness, no matter what league you are in)

I think Henry is potentially waiting for the USA National Team Job, but there's nothing stopping him coming here for a year and then progressing. The sort of appointments which lend themselves to our conveyor belt reputation.

Apart from one decent spell each in America, I'm not really sure the appeal of these two? Viera's last two jobs have ended with him resorting to dull defensive football in an attempt to stop losing runs and both times he failed. Both these were in his second season. That's a trait, not a one off. 

Henry just has nothing he could point to in his managerial career that is good enough to demand a job like ours.

At best it's a punt based on playing careers really isn't it? (and expensive if you really wanted both). Words like "galvanise, stardust, power to attract players, status" are all just buzz words and will evaporate very quickly when the season starts if we don't play well or get results. The evidence underneath those words on their CV's doesn't suggest much substance over a extended period.

If you're going for a punt, I'd rather go for a punt like Carrick who hasn't proven himself to be out of ideas when times get difficult like Viera has.

If we’d have been offered Woy people would have scoffed. Warnock would be a perfect appointment in the Championship. He knows the league inside out, won’t take crap off owners and will certainly not put up with the half arsed performances our players have put in this season.