Russell Martin

LegalEagle

Just now, Block41 Saint said:

Another abysmal appointment from these fucking shite owners. We're going down to League One under these cunts. 

At least that means we'll avoid playing Portsmouth Community Football Club for the first time ever in a league game next season... ;)

Just now, Block41 Saint said:

Another abysmal appointment from these fucking shite owners. We're going down to League One under these cunts. 

I don't expect us to get relegated. But I do expect us to lose the next game heavily against Leeds (Piroe Hat Trick) which will make it 5 defeats.

At some point that has to stop, or I'll have to change my expectations.

1 minute ago, Mboto Gorge said:

I don’t care if this gets bundled in with the other Martin thread but it needs its own title every time we persist with this utter chump. Wtf was that today?? Thing is, most of us saw a defeat today coming, just totally saints. This clown needs firing asap before we get relegated again! Currently I’d say we are in the worst 3 sides in the league. Incredible achievement 

Not just him that needs to go higher managment too they keep getting the wrong people .

• Like 3

He needs to go ASAP before the damage done is even more irreparable than it already is. This is a side who’ve lost to QPR, Millwall at home, and only drawn at home to Huddersfield whilst having no confidence at all until our shambolic football club rocks up. We can’t even get a point after going a goal up either against the bottom side. Absolutely fucking livid

• Like 2

Yep, Sport republic have to be the most clueless, naive, arrogant owners we’ve ever had. Bad decision after bad decision, thinking they can reinvent the wheel, a pathetic embarrassing insistence on copying Man City at every turn. Fucking laughable. Literally incredible how badly mismanaged we’ve been under these idiots. 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

I don't expect us to get relegated. But I do expect us to lose the next game heavily against Leeds (Piroe Hat Trick) which will make it 5 defeats.

At some point that has to stop, or I'll have to change my expectations.

We won't go down this season but we're far more likely to find ourselves in League One than the PL under these owners in the future. 

Edited by Block41 Saint
  • Like 3

Russell Martin has to be sacked. Was completely poor decision to recruit him in the first place, my decision based on that decision alone to not renew saved time and pain from watching more inept performances. When will the club learn you need to invest in a decent manager who knows how to pick and play players in right positions and can coach them too. Good manager worth their weight in gold.

• Like 3

Enough now. This guy is clearly out of his depth.

To take this squad of players and get them performing so ineptly takes a special kind of incompetence.

There is nothing - not a single thing - about our setup/tactics that gives me any encouragement that things will come good. Every team in the league now knows exactly how to beat us and they don't even have to play well to do it.

The last 4 games have been men against boys, getting overrun in midfield and defence time and time again, and losing to an aggregate score of 12-2. When we go behind, which we inevitably will because we are totally incapable of keeping clean sheets, teams just sit back in an organised shape and know that we won't have any idea how to break through and score. We created next to nothing today - against a team with only a single point all season so far.

No more excuses. No more 'patience'. Martin was a piss poor appointment and needs to be relieved of his duties and replaced by someone who actually understands the basics of winning games in this division.

• Like 5

He's gone, surely.

He came here and wanted to play possession based football. Today we didn't see that, at half time we had 38%.

I've never seen a team get broken on, 3v1 or 4v1 so consistently, it happens every single game.

An absolute fraud of a manager, it's inconceivable that we are looking at a relegation scrap, but here we are in 15th place and currently in free fall.

• Like 4

I was one of the mugs who fell for Russ. His fist pumps when we stumbled past sheff weds should have been a telling sign.

It’s like meeting a bird for the first time- you’re besotted with her and vice versa. You laugh at each others shit jokes and can’t get enough of each other.  Then in the coming weeks, you spot all her bad habits like she’s farting in bed and piling on the pounds.

Russ sorry lad I’m starting to see all your bad habits- playing smallbone amongst other pile of shite, Armstrong captain? Players playing out of position. Schoolboy errors. I was one of the melons who thought we would walk this league but it’s absolutely shambles from top to bottom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just can't believe that someone who has played in this league professionally (and a defender at that), is so fucking incompetent and doesn't understand what it takes to get out of it.

Unbelievable that he was appointed in the first place, but you only have SR to blame for that.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Soton7 said:

I was one of the mugs who fell for Russ. His fist pumps when we stumbled past sheff weds should have been a telling sign.

It’s like meeting a bird for the first time- you’re besotted with her and vice versa. You laugh at each others shit jokes and can’t get enough of each other.  Then in the coming weeks, you spot all her bad habits like she’s farting in bed and piling on the pounds.

Russ sorry lad I’m starting to see all your bad habits- playing smallbone amongst other pile of shite, Armstrong captain? Players playing out of position. Schoolboy errors. I was one of the melons who thought we would walk this league but it’s absolutely shambles from top to bottom.

I agree with a lot of this, but we didn't stumble past Sheff Wed. We played well against them. 9 mins of extra time and we didn't let SW touch the ball. Pundits in the studio full of praise for Saints.....

I think that for the first 4 games we were just freewheeling, with the players just winging it, as RM hadn't had sufficient time to impose any kind of philosophy or identity on the team. 

Over the last 4 games we have seen what RM teams are all about. 

I'm not happy with knee jerk manager out reactionary comments, but I'm not seeing anything to redeem RM here. 

There are no signs of promising things to come. 

There are no green shoots. 

We've just lost to the worst team in the league and the scoreline flatters us. 

The danger is that our new group of players will sink in to that losing mentality that we've seen for the last few years, and turning that around can be incredibly difficult. I'm not confident that RM has the psychological skillset to accomplish that. 

I appreciate that we're a project, a work in progress, and the manager is trying to build something, but I can't help thinking that RM is using his own poo as mortar. 

• Like 2

On 21/09/2023 at 18:38, Midfield_General said:

Now - we’ve scored 1 goal in 3 games, and we look absolutely lost going forward. We’re not out scoring anyone playing like we are at the moment. We’re barely creating anything. 

Because the Tella money was more important to the club than results on the pitch. 

Until Sulemana starts living up to his price tag this is the way things will be. We have no credible threat going forward and we’re just as easy to defend against as we are to beat on the counter. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I agree with a lot of this, but we didn't stumble past Sheff Wed. We played well against them. 9 mins of extra time and we didn't let SW touch the ball. Pundits in the studio full of praise for Saints.....

The team that beat Wednesday was far different to the team that started today. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, harvey said:

I just can't believe that someone who has played in this league professionally (and a defender at that), is so fucking incompetent and doesn't understand what it takes to get out of it.

Martin was part of an abject Norwich defence. They also thought it was the bestest thing ever to play out from the back. They had success with it too, in the Championsip, because 1) they had 2 very useful attacking fulbacks 2) they had at least some cover when they gave it away 3) They had a plan of attack for getting rid of it when it left the full backs. 4) the other teams hadn't learned to counter it yet. 5) The fullbacks tried to attack with it. They didn;t run 5 yards, stop and be proud that they had started what they hoped was a 70 pass move. 6) They full backs did take up full back positions, rather than moving inside to no benefit whatsover.

In the Premier League, they got hammered relentlessly doing the same thing. By the time they came back down the second time, other teams had moved on and could counter it easily.

When at Norwich, Martin was part of some particularly cringeworthy interviews that had absolutely no bearing on the match he'd just been involved in. I don;t recall him mentioning "scar tissue" though, so he's learned that much. 🙂

• Like 2

apropos of nothing, when the writing was on the wall for Nathan Jones last year I said if we stayed up i'd still want him sacked in the summer, but if we got relegated, as we obviously did, there would be worse options in that division than to say with him.

That ship has obviously sailed, but we surely couldn't be any worse off right now if we had him at the helm?

I even disagree with the assertion that RM seems to be a nice man, even when it was all sunshine and roses after the first few games he seemed cocky and arrogant, though in a different way to NJ.

The problems run deeper than RM (squad planning during the summer has been poor) but surely say, Kieran McKenna would be getting a lot more out of this group of players.

Edited by SupersonicSaint
  • Like 1

This bloke is sounding just as bad as Nathan Jones now. Bullshitting to the fans who can see he is lying with their very own eyes. This is all on Sports Republic though. Hiring another manager using possession stats instead of his actual record which is extremely average.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Block 5 said:

I actually believe that this group of players would win more games with no manager than with RM as manager. 

Yep. Stephens, McCarthy, or any senior pro could pick a team and set them up better. Keeping it simple but be so much more effective than we're getting. 

• Like 2

4 months these dopey cunts in charge had to find us a manger capable of getting us promoted and this is the best they could do? 

Nice bloke, hasn’t been helped by the fire sale but utterly clueless tactically and should have been obvious before he even made a shortlist. 

• Like 1

Give him till the international break, thats Leeds, Stoke and Rotherham. If we lose 2 out of those 3 then send him on his way.

After that don’t try and be all smart and just get an experienced no bullshit manager and try to end in the playoffs. This squad has enough quality for this league to get to the playoffs. 

• Like 1

The bloke seems to be unravelling and talking absolute bollocks in recent interviews. This is deju vu with Jones and Selles, and like those two SR will wait until he’s had 15-20 games before they act, even though the fanbase and media can see they way this goes. Was hoping for a club reset over the summer but the best we could do now is to bring in an experienced martinet to keep us in this league and have a fucking good levelling in genuine preparation for next season. SR won’t, they are so weak it’s pitiful.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, SupersonicSaint said:

apropos of nothing, when the writing was on the wall for Nathan Jones last year I said if we stayed up i'd still want him sacked in the summer, but if we got relegated, as we obviously did, there would be worse options in that division than to say with him.

That ship has obviously sailed, but we surely couldn't be any worse off right now if we had him at the helm?

I even disagree with the assertion that RM seems to be a nice man, even when it was all sunshine and roses after the first few games he seemed cocky and arrogant, though in a different way to NJ.

The problems run deeper than RM (squad planning during the summer has been poor) but surely say, Kieran McKenna would be getting a lot more out of this group of players.

Nice basic grasp of Latin.  Integral for getting a job at Dixons or voting on such polls.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

interesting that Tanswell is mentioning a manager change 👀

And that stat - 5 managers in just 10 months - says everything in how the club lacks rigour in everything it is doing.

So once we have a caretaker, then let’s start with getting the process more robust.

Chair of the panel - Wilcox. Has to be really.

Members - Tony Pulis - no way Martin’s goals against record at Swansea or MK would be getting past him without a grilling and no philosophical bullshit. Success at similar sized clubs, lives locally and speaks well of the club. Will spot a chancer like Martin. Jeremy Wilson/Henry Winter - can they handle a bit of criticism and scrutiny which comes with the job eg Nathan Jones. Steven Davis - former club captain, MBE, played at huge clubs and ultimate professional. How do you handle a diverse dressing room and get respect? Eg RH falling out with segments of the squad. 

Emphasis has to be on impressing a tough but fair room. I bet with this process we would get someone more capable and confident on the basic nuts and bolts. 

• Like 1