Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like the general consensus on here at the moment is that Bazunu is decent enough at the back to be first choice next season. I would personally be very unsure about that, given that he was one of our major weaknesses last year. Keepers of relegated teams will typically look quite good given how much they are required to do in a season (I remember David Marshall a few years back looking handy for example) yet Bazunu looked not up to standard for almost the entire season. Is it really wise to risk having him as our keeper for the whole season?

Personally I'd be looking to bring in another strong keeper and have some actual competition there rather than just letting him be first choice because we don't really have anyone else. What do you think? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

He’s not good enough - why would he be any better than last year when he was total shite ? We are crying out for an experienced goalkeeper who can make saves and command his box

I am not sure you are correct any goalkeeper who plays in the PL by definition is not total shite whether he becomes a top PL goalkeeper is another thing

Only time will tell but his chances are probably better than you becoming a top goalkeeper I think we should give him a chance

• Like 7

OK seems I may have been wrong and many think he needs replacing. How confident are people that he will actually be replaced? I'm not sure sports Republic are ready to admit failure and will persist under the rationale that he's had a year of experience. 

He could be decent at Championship level. MOTM against Germany recently and was Portsmouth’s player of the season in league one.

However, it’s a big gamble as he was the worst GK in Europe’s top 5 leagues last season at stopping shots on target. You’d think that would have dented his confidence, especially after being dropped.

He is decent at the ball playing side that Martin will demand from his keepers, this might lead to him being given the shirt to lose. I would get rid of McCarthy and bring in an experience keeper to challenge him properly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

He could be decent at Championship level. MOTM against Germany recently and was Portsmouth’s player of the season in league one.

However, it’s a big gamble as he was the worst GK in Europe’s top 5 leagues last season at stopping shots on target. You’d think that would have dented his confidence, especially after being dropped.

He is decent at the ball playing side that Martin will demand from his keepers, this might lead to him being given the shirt to lose. I would get rid of McCarthy and bring in an experience keeper to challenge him properly.

Yes I agree. I wouldn't get rid of him but I think it's vital that we get in some proper quality so that he can be safely dropped if required. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John B said:

I am not sure you are correct any goalkeeper who plays in the PL by definition is not total shite whether he becomes a top PL goalkeeper is another thing

Only time will tell but his chances are probably better than you becoming a top goalkeeper I think we should give him a chance

He was total shite in the context of the premier league. I accept he can hold his own at Sunday leave level

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Kelvin was great for us in League 1 and the Championship, shite for us in the Premier League

I think he'll be fine this season. You would expect (hopefully) he won't have to face as many shots as he did last season

He might be but I'm not sure I'd want to risk starting the season hoping that that's the case. Our whole season could hinge on this decision. 

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Spreadsheet soccer. A totally meaninglessly metric. A ‘shot on target’ can be anything from a wild slash from forty yards to something stroked into the net from ten yards. Too many times last season the opposition was given the freedom to waltz into our penalty are and pick their spot.

• Like 4

Need a safe pair of hands in the Championship promotion push. 

The difference between Davis and Bialkowski when we were last down here was night and day in a then very good team. Almost as though a young goalkeeper couldn’t handle the pressure and expectation of the occasion considering he has since become a middling Championship goalkeeper.

Goalkeeper’s need a presence, to be able to communicate and organise their box, to pull off a top save every now and then, to come out and claim crosses and in the modern era to kick the ball. All of which I saw none of in Bazunu last season and he was supposed to be good at kicking!

• Like 1

He's better than McCarthy, and dropping him near the end of last season for someone no better (who seemed to concede more soft goals?) felt pretty harsh. Wouldnt be adverse to signing a new number 1 for a season or two so long as Bazunu still got games and it meant McCarthy leaving!

• Like 4

I don't recall him making too many fantastic saves that I didn't expect him to make but there were a few I thought he was at fault for.  Seems to me that he's relatively comfortable with the ball at his feet so I expect him to stay and be first choice but personally I'd rather we had a good solid keeper even if his distribution isn't all that.
I don't think he's big enough either - not much he can do about it but his size is probably a disadvantage.

I think he will stay and be no1 and would expect him to be significantly better for last seasons experience, in a poor team lacking in any stability of selection in defence.

Wonder what will happen with Lis? Will he replace McCarthy as no2 assume AMc goes, or will he end up at Valenciennes? Always felt like a multi club signing as a low risk free transfer.

• Like 1

As we're giving a new contract to Cabellero then I assume this means our 3 keepers will stay as they are.

We really should have signed Sam Johnstone from WBA last season.  He is far superior to anything we have and ended up going to Palace to be their backup keeper (while still getting in the England squad)/

4 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

As we're giving a new contract to Cabellero then I assume this means our 3 keepers will stay as they are.

We really should have signed Sam Johnstone from WBA last season.  He is far superior to anything we have and ended up going to Palace to be their backup keeper (while still getting in the England squad)/

available free as well wasnt he? We are much smarter than that.

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Spreadsheet soccer. A totally meaninglessly metric. A ‘shot on target’ can be anything from a wild slash from forty yards to something stroked into the net from ten yards. Too many times last season the opposition was given the freedom to waltz into our penalty are and pick their spot.

You're right, in isolation the stat gives no context.  Were we relegated because of Bazunu?  Obviously not.  Our stats at the other end of the pitch were equally piss poor.

The stat that would give some concern would be the expected save stats, which I seem to remember there was some scope for improvement for Gavin.  Many were concerned at the start of last season that the step up from League 1 to EPL for such a young keeper was a huge risk.  Hopefully a reset for Gavin and the chance to prove himself in the Championship is what he needs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

You're right, in isolation the stat gives no context.  Were we relegated because of Bazunu?  Obviously not.  Our stats at the other end of the pitch were equally piss poor.

The stat that would give some concern would be the expected save stats, which I seem to remember there was some scope for improvement for Gavin.  Many were concerned at the start of last season that the step up from League 1 to EPL for such a young keeper was a huge risk.  Hopefully a reset for Gavin and the chance to prove himself in the Championship is what he needs.

They say a good goalkeeper is worth 10-12 points a season, how many points was Bazunu worth? 

• Like 2

Although there is no doubt Baz was a liability last season, you'd like to think this will be his level next season. And as long as we have someone else competent that can step in for him if he's struggling (Macca / Willy) I've got no problem with him being first choice next season. The club has invested a decent amount of money into him, and I can't imagine they're going to give up on him that quickly. We can always re-assess in January if necessary.

Is it the ideal solution? Probably not. But I certainly see it as an option. You'd also hope we have a more competent defence for the level we're at in front of him next season too.

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 2

He needs competition for sure, but i would expect him to get game time this year. Strikes me as remarkably strong mentally (all things considered) and he's got good distribution and positioning as a sweeper keeper.

He was a great keeper for league 1 level, he's grown and developed since then, and had a year playing at a very high level. Provided his confidence / headspace is there, we really should be giving him a year to develop at the championship. He was always a development player. What are we going to do, not play him, then get promoted and loan him to another championship side even though we wouldn't use him ourselves? Far better to play him regularly, develop him at a level he should be ready for, and then take that into the prem if possible.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

He would probably do okay at a Championship side in the bottom half. If we are serious about promotion, he isn't anywhere near good enough. He was lucky that he joined a club that was willing to stick by him for most of the season and risk relegation. But. We did get relegated. I don't want us risking promotion just for his development all over again. He seemed horribly overpriced when we signed him and that's how it has turned out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

They say a good goalkeeper is worth 10-12 points a season, how many points was Bazunu worth? 

They are?

Determine good. Are we talking Champions League level? Or is it relative to the level being played?

Wasn't a fan of the signing but can't see beyond him starting as no1 this season, given we invested a lot in him and we've tonnes of other issues.

He impressed at league 1 level, so hopefully that wasn't his ceiling and that he'll be better at championship rather than being dunked in at the top level with no experience.

47 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Much too early to tell. 

Exactly until we know who is in and out at end of September we won’t know.

Maybe foolish of me but am pinning a lot of hope on Mowbray after reading good reviews from Aberdeen and Boro?

We just simply must recruit better than Orisic, Diallo, Tall Paul, Lyanco and Bazanu

Another summer, another complete mess in terms of goalkeepers.

Is McCarthy first choice now or was he picked just to be in the shop window? If his wage 60% of the £90k a week, or is it 60% of the reduced wage because he didn't play enough games last year? 

Will Lis be part of the goalkeeping set up this season? He doesn't appear in the Saints first team profiles. 

I'm surprised Cabellero has got a new deal. Perhaps that is a sign that McCarthy will depart, although not sure who is loaning/buying him. 

Are none of the young B team keepers deemed good enough to be considered 3rd choice (maybe even 4th choice?)  

Not a great season however he got blamed for a lot of goals that simply wern't his fault The idea that he should have stopped all four goals against Liverpool on the last day is laughable. He was responsible for two (and even then he's hardly got a world class defence in front of him) he'll come good but he did not benefit from being thrown in at the deepend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Agreed.

You can't make such bold statements when there are so many unknowns. 

After a half dozen games maybe, but not now.

That’s the beauty of the EFL, you can be in the bottom third and still gain promotion at the end of it.

I won’t be concerned if we start off slowly. I will be concerned if we’re lower end come Christmas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

That’s the beauty of the EFL, you can be in the bottom third and still gain promotion at the end of it.

I won’t be concerned if we start off slowly. I will be concerned if we’re lower end come Christmas.

Let's face it, Saints and starting slowly are synonymous with one another.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I can remember plenty of instances of shots being straight at Bazunu or right next to him and him either getting nowhere near them, not being strong enough to keep them out or (at least once) actually palming it into his own net when it wasn't going in. 

• Like 3

Just now, Saint_clark said:

I can remember plenty of instances of shots being straight at Bazunu or right next to him and him either getting nowhere near them, not being strong enough to keep them out or (at least once) actually palming it into his own net when it wasn't going in. 

I can’t 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu