Sheffield Weds 1-2 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Would be good to see him back at his best in his final season with us (I presume). Needs to be fully fit and making those lung busting runs breaking between the lines. Like to see him making more third man runs into the box. We need runners without the ball to hurt opponents and he could do that.

Agreed, it is all very different running with the ball at your feet, but you need to do this without the ball to create space for the likes of Tella, JWP and Adams… if they stay. I did say there was a lack of this last night, but when a team sits deep with everyone behind the ball it is hard to create any space. 

25 minutes ago, Chez said:

If we had conceded a late goal last night instead of scoring it, and going when we inevitably lose games in the future do you think you will still be content with the style? 

For me, when we have controlled the game, that's when we have given ourselves the best chance of winning games. The press has been effective at times, but we very rarely win on the break. We have to have the ball. The midfield need to be totally on top.

I get the result is the be-all and end-all, but the way we played last night gave us a great chance to win the game. Not comparing us to Man City but the total possession game they play does not guarantee them victory but gives them a great chance, plus is miles better to watch than the recent football we have played that has made our eyes bleed. 
So to answer your point if (and when as it will happen) if we lost, then I would have been gutted, but yes I would have seen more positives than negatives and would praise what RM is trying to achieve. 

• Like 7

Good start, at the end of the day it’s points on the board that count. No one ever looks at the history books any other way. 

Interesting to see the starting 11 in a months time, and against some decent opposition. No disrespect to SW intended, but I hardly call them a challenge. 

RM is a million miles away from the pretenders of Jones and Selles, just want to see how he plays against the likes of Leeds, Leicester, Norwich, Boro, Sunderland ect. 

How does he set up against them, how does he handle tactics, Subs at the right time and game management. Not seen any of that yet. First game I know, Christmas will be the litmus  test for me. 

Fantastic start, not to concerned about players ins and outs as what we lose we should attract quality given our standing.

I am probably a minority, but the manager this season will be the difference between promotion or staying in this league for me. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Most passes completed in a game:

1) 1033 - Bayern Munich (v Hertha Berlin, 2014)
2) 988 - Barcelona (v Levante, 2011)
3) 979 - Man City (v Basel, 2018)
4) 942 - Man City (v Swansea, 2018)
𝟓) 𝟗𝟑𝟏 - #𝐒𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐬𝐅𝐂 (𝐯 𝐒𝐡𝐞𝐟𝐟 𝐖𝐞𝐝, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑)

(amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/…)

Just seen this on Twitter ^. 

In europes top 5 leagues that was one of the most dominating performances. 

Very, very positive signs.  

• Like 10

10 hours ago, jasonb said:

Replying to my own post as I did some more searching and found a full replay here: https://wolfstream.tv/smsyr714dpc4/SW_vs_STON_-_Full_Coverage.mp4.html

I haven't watched it all yet but skipped through and it seems like its the full broadcast for those that missed it like me. I'll bookmark this site for the future too. 
Thanks, 

How did you find it? As a test for next time I tried a Google search "Southampton" site:wolfstream.tv and it came up empty. It's a video sharing website, and its home page gives no navigation to anything.

I'm looking ahead to finding replays of future matches.

3 hours ago, RobJones1971 said:

I am sorry but I really don’t understand this. Did you enjoy the football of the last few years over the style last night? As a new team / style, the players did brilliantly IMO. 
The reason we walked around for the 9 minutes of stoppage time was they were completely shattered from chasing us while we had all the possession and simply could not press us to get the ball back. Recent seasons when we took a narrow lead into stoppage time we all expected to either draw or even lose the game.
While we have possession they can’t lump it forward and get corners / free kicks, where we all recognise is our weakness. 
Only my opinion of course, but I would take this style of football over any of the dross we have served up in recent seasons, albeit in a lower division where we can hopefully use this style of play to be successful. 

Great post. Echoing my thoughts completely.  Could also argue that a o late winner was made more likely due to Wednesday's fatigue.  I loved it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobJones1971 said:

I get the result is the be-all and end-all, but the way we played last night gave us a great chance to win the game. Not comparing us to Man City but the total possession game they play does not guarantee them victory but gives them a great chance, plus is miles better to watch than the recent football we have played that has made our eyes bleed. 
So to answer your point if (and when as it will happen) if we lost, then I would have been gutted, but yes I would have seen more positives than negatives and would praise what RM is trying to achieve. 

Having not seen the game it's hard for me to comment, but was the style any different to the Puel possession based game which (not trying reopen the was Puel actually good debate) bored people to tears when we failed to create chances, score goals and win games?

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Still West Brom ten years ago I believe. Nine of the last twelve opening games away from home too, including the last five consecutive.

was that the Luke Shaw/Lambert pen game?

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Having not seen the game it's hard for me to comment, but was the style any different to the Puel possession based game which (not trying reopen the was Puel actually good debate) bored people to tears when we failed to create chances, score goals and win games?

Not boring at all - good to watch I thought. 

In terms of pace - will be difficult for the crowd to get the old “Olé, Olé” going as the passes are often a bit too quick to keep up with, and the moves go on for ages.

Compared to most of the possession football I’ve seen from saints in the past there was more variation and an anticipation that it might actually lead to a chance. 

• Like 4

Martin's style is well known as being divisive . It's no surprise that fans disagree.

I don't quite understand the need for name calling as differing opinions are natural. If you love his style then great , good for you.

If you don't then also great. Hopefully things improve and results follow. 

As for me never being  critical of Jones? I stopped posting, Jones signing broke my will and I stopped caring. Its easier that way.

Up the Saints

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Whereas Puel's possession was ponderous and timid, Martin's includes sudden changes of pace, and rapier forward thrusts, via by passes and runs other than sideways and backwards. 

Edited by adrian lord
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

14 hours ago, RobJones1971 said:

I think we did well in beating Sheffield W but I still think we  have a problem scoring goals apparently according to the BBC we had 20 shots and scored 2 goals

With Adams and JWP two of our more reliable scorers likely to leave we need replacements for them sooner than later

• Like 4

I replayed the game onstage one fast forward. It really shows the skill level and accuracy and intensity of passing.

I have a few minor concerns.

Defending set pieces against good tall headers of the ball, and lack of height at the back.

With JWP accuracy, he should look at the old pairing of Channon and Ron Davies, making separate runs from the edge of the box to a Paine cross. 

Also the better teams are going to have much better players.

Man City have the magic of de Bruyne (best player in world for me) to make the killing runs and passes.We were falling into the high press trap of condensing their team so tightly it was difficult to get the final shot away.

however a very impressive start with room for improvement as we improve.

Depending on who we lose I think we will go up,hoping JWP will orchestrate our promotion aided by KWP

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cambsaint said:

I replayed the game onstage one fast forward. It really shows the skill level and accuracy and intensity of passing.

Defending set pieces against good tall headers of the ball, and lack of height at the back.

With JWP accuracy, he should look at the old pairing of Channon and Ron Davies, making separate runs from the edge of the box to a Paine cross. 

Man City have the magic of de Bruyne (best player in world for me) to make the killing runs and passes.We were falling into the high press trap of condensing their team so tightly it was difficult to get the final shot away.

Depending on who we lose I think we will go up,hoping JWP will orchestrate our promotion aided by KWP

From what people have said, could Grimes be our championship equivalent of De Bruyne? Sounds like he has that sort of skill. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, cambsaint said:

Exactly this, my concerns too. Lots of first half possession and only one goal to show for it against effectively a L1 standard opponent who equalised with their only shot on target at that point. 

4 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Exactly this, my concerns too. Lots of first half possession and only one goal to show for it against effectively a L1 standard opponent who equalised with their only shot on target at that point. 

Jeez we are getting more players in.

2 hours ago, Kermitzasaint said:

Martin's style is well known as being divisive . It's no surprise that fans disagree.

I don't quite understand the need for name calling as differing opinions are natural. If you love his style then great , good for you.

If you don't then also great. Hopefully things improve and results follow. 

As for me never being  critical of Jones? I stopped posting, Jones signing broke my will and I stopped caring. Its easier that way.

Up the Saints

From what we saw on Friday, divisive as in those who like fast paced, skillful, intelligent, attacking high quality football

And those who don't (or just don't understand) 

48 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

That's how to see out 9mins of added time

This is great as showing why the possession is different than recent seasons. Recently the passing was flat, slow, backward, CB to CM and back. This shows a totally different approach. 

And when we had a game won. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Apparently Sheffield Wednesday were unbeaten at home in 24 games in all competitions. Until we turned up.

My Sheffield Wednesday supporting friends Son said we were the best team he’s seen at Hillsborough baring none and including Newcastle in the cup. They were very impressed with the the team, the Manager and style of football.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Not until we ship some out by all accounts, and are we really going to be upgrading on the likes of JWP, KWP and Lavia if they go and making ourselves stronger??

Lavia didn't play, so he's scarecely a loss on what we've seen so far. The WP brothers will be a miss, if they both leave, but then there are other areas we may well strengthen so you'd hope it'll even out. Having worse than those two but better than Edozie/AA wouldn't be the end of the world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adrian lord said:

Whereas Puel's possession was ponderous and timid, Martin's includes sudden changes of pace, and rapier forward thrusts, via by passes and runs other than sideways and backwards. 

I will say that Puels season we actually started off playing some excellent, fast paced passing football and it slowly and surely died off over the course of the season. I think the Europa League debacle and the way Fonte was treated (as captain and popular leader) contributed to the players enthusiasm for Puel disappearing. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Lavia didn't play, so he's scarecely a loss on what we've seen so far. The WP brothers will be a miss, if they both leave, but then there are other areas we may well strengthen so you'd hope it'll even out. Having worse than those two but better than Edozie/AA wouldn't be the end of the world.

I know he didn't play, but let's not rate the lad on what he's been like in preseason. We know full well from last year that the lad is quality and that whatever we get in to replace him is not going to be a step up.

Good to see an uptick in positivity but the game could easily have ended 1-1 without JWP's clever play to set up Adams and Tella was given far too much space for the opener. Possession is all very well but I want to see that turned into the goall equivalent on a regular basis.

• Like 4

We were very dominant in possession, with a bit of a blunt tooth and a lack of height in defence. Our team in general lacks height and strength at the back…in particular Smallbone could do with bulking out a bit as he can get outmuscled quite easily. Overall a very satisfying first visit to Hillsborough even if it was sat in amongst the home supporters. The problem of course with new players is who do leave out when a system is clearly working???

Incidentally I was sat very near to the dugouts and it was interesting to see the difference in how the Managers interacted with their team - Martin has much more command of his players than SW’s man, who had players shrugging at him in the first 15 minutes not knowing what to do to counter our play…didn’t seem to know what their roles were. I said to my friend that their team was setup wrong and not able to press us at the back which might have given them a chance.

2 minutes ago, gordonToo said:

Good to see an uptick in positivity but the game could easily have ended 1-1 without JWP's clever play to set up Adams and Tella was given far too much space for the opener. Possession is all very well but I want to see that turned into the goall equivalent on a regular basis.

Agreed. Such possession is all very laudable when you’re in the lead but if we are level or behind is it going to lead to the necessary goals?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Agreed. Such possession is all very laudable when you’re in the lead but if we are level or behind is it going to lead to the necessary goals?

It did on Friday when we were level.

Let's see what happens over the next few games. Also, what some people don't seem to be acknowledging, is that the more we do this the better we will get at it. Plus we will no doubt bring a couple of players who can play in this style.

The manager has had to mould the current squad to play this way and they have come a long way in a short time. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We played well and it was a good result, but I share the concerns of others about our lack of penetration and our defence. Sheff Wednesday are very poor I think, and we were not able to put them away. They were gone by 20 mins and we let them back in it. Against teams who really know how to press we won't get away with that lack of penetration when have those phases where we are on top.

It's early days and RM himself highlighted there was still a lot of work and development to be done (very refreshing RM!) so I hope we will improve in those areas. It's an encouraging start but I didn't see a team going up yesterday, despite the 80% possession and a generally good performance. A promotion hopeful would have put Sheff Weds away before half time based on their performance.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I will say that Puels season we actually started off playing some excellent, fast paced passing football and it slowly and surely died off over the course of the season. I think the Europa League debacle and the way Fonte was treated (as captain and popular leader) contributed to the players enthusiasm for Puel disappearing. 

That’s not how the Puel season started at all, we were slow and ponderous right from the first game and very rarely troubled the opposition goal from open play.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

That’s not how the Puel season started at all, we were slow and ponderous right from the first game and very rarely troubled the opposition goal from open play.

I don't agree at all, I distinctly remember us moving it quickly and Romeu in particular looking a completely new player in an attacking sense.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I thought it was Djenepo and Aribo who are brothers. When Djenepo sporting his new haircut started warming up, the section around me singing the Ha...ri....bo  song 😀

In the post game interview with Tella and Che, Tella said that when he scored he was trying to find Aribo to celebrate with but couldn't find him so he celebrated with Russell Martin instead. He found him after i think when he celebrated with the bench.

Players seem to like Martin though which is a positive.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I don't agree at all, I distinctly remember us moving it quickly and Romeu in particular looking a completely new player in an attacking sense.

I remember that after Koeman, Puel tried to play a dysfunctional diamond that the players were mystified by. Over the season we got 46 points out of 114. It was the start of the unwatchable garbage that was even worse under Pellegrino and in many games under Ralph. Last year under Ralph, Jones amd Selles it was as bad as it gets. Friday was the first time in years that I saw a manager pick a balanced team that looked the part. I thought the possession football at this level was superb. The marking at set pieces needs an overhaul. Stop ballwatching and position to see the ball and the mark. If Smallbone had turned sideways and faces out he could have seen Ifore and the corner taken. He then only had to take a pace to his left and block Ifore most probably drawing a foul with neither getting the ball. Chelsea used to run interference to block markers trying to stop John Terry. This is virtually the same defending. I hope the new set piece coach picks up on it.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

We almost came a cropper with the last kick of the match. I do wonder what would have happened if the ref had not blown when he did.

From what I saw it was a slight scare but we were never in any danger - Baz got to the ball ahead of their player. Can't deny though it was far too sloppy at that stage of the game.

14 hours ago, West end Saints said:

From what we saw on Friday, divisive as in those who like fast paced, skillful, intelligent, attacking high quality football

And those who don't (or just don't understand) 

This is great as showing why the possession is different than recent seasons. Recently the passing was flat, slow, backward, CB to CM and back. This shows a totally different approach. 

And when we had a game won. 

Right, so anyone who disagrees with you just doesn't understand. 

Well I guess all those who dislike this type of football must bow down to your so called superior intelligence and understanding. 

• Like 1

On 05/08/2023 at 20:15, Osvaldorama said:

Most passes completed in a game:

1) 1033 - Bayern Munich (v Hertha Berlin, 2014)
2) 988 - Barcelona (v Levante, 2011)
3) 979 - Man City (v Basel, 2018)
4) 942 - Man City (v Swansea, 2018)
𝟓) 𝟗𝟑𝟏 - #𝐒𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐬𝐅𝐂 (𝐯 𝐒𝐡𝐞𝐟𝐟 𝐖𝐞𝐝, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑)

(amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/…)

Just seen this on Twitter ^. 

In europes top 5 leagues that was one of the most dominating performances. 

Very, very positive signs.  

Just realised.. are the other four all Pep teams?👀

• Like 1