Other Games 23/24

skintsaint

Interesting run in for so many reasons:

- Now 2 places up for grabs in the top 2, obviously would need a huge run from us but not impossible

- If we end up in the playoffs I think finishing 4th might be better than 3rd as think we match up better vs WBA than potentially Norwich or Hull

- Wouldn't want to face Leeds or Leicester in playoffs, would prefer Ipswich personally

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

I’ll say one thing, Leeds beating Leicester looks like a very handy result now, feel far more confident of catching Leicester with the way their wheels are coming off.

Yeah, but, no, but..... ;)

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Ipswich 1 up inside ten minutes. Leicester fans must be worrying now.

Leicester will at least be confident of beating us in the playoffs 

At this point I'm hoping Ipswich are one of the automatically promoted sides - shot straight through the Championship like we did last time we were here and it would mean one of Leicester or Leeds miss out.

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

At this point I'm hoping Ipswich are one of the automatically promoted sides - shot straight through the Championship like we did last time we were here and it would mean one of Leicester or Leeds miss out.

But that would mean we'd have to play Leeds or Leicester in the playoffs at some stage, Ipswich in the playoffs is the better option in terms of pure 11 v 11 quality.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

But that would mean we'd have to play Leeds or Leicester in the playoffs at some stage, Ipswich in the playoffs is the better option in terms of pure 11 v 11 quality.

Perhaps - anyway I think Leeds are Champions - been saying it all season they look the best team and easily have the best attack. If anyone drops out it'll be Leicester and right now I think I'd play Leicester over Ipswich - a quick look at the Leicester forum shows they are a side in trouble and they all want Enzo gone. Besides, on our day, we can beat anyone - it's just whether we have our day or not and as we'd probably finish 4th, we'll only meet Leicester/Leeds/Ipswich in the final at Wembley (assuming we beat 5th place over two legs). 

22 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Unless Leeds go up automatically and Leicester win the play offs.

That would leave us missing out....

Just now, Weston Super Saint said:

Unless Leeds go up automatically and Leicester win the play offs.

That would leave us missing out....

Missing out on autos - I wasn't referring to the play-offs there.

Not that we're in the debate anymore....but what the fuck have Leicester done??? The lead they had over Ipswich/Leeds etc was enormous, they were clear not just from 3rd but from 2nd.

They're now 3rd with 7 games to go. I've never known a team at this level to bottle a gap that huge this late on. I think Leeds will now go onto win the league with games to spare, that last game against us is a nothing event now. 2nd will be a fight out between Leicester and Ipswich, at this stage it's hard to look beyond Ipswich as Leicester have just imploded at the wrong time.

Norwich and WBA for 5th and 6th for me. Norwich are your typical play off winning team as they've come from no where in the 2nd half of the season to storm it.

Leicester remaining in this league next year with their financial troubles is an absolute disaster for them.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Imagine if Leicester didn’t go up. Could that possibly be the biggest scenario of “bottling it” in footballing history? To be that far ahead and not go up.

All that said, I’d 100% back them over us in the play offs.

I disagree. Think if they didn’t go up automatically that would mentally kill them.

Can see Norwich winning the play offs or something.

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Not really sure I'd feel anything other than fucking frustration if we end today with both Leeds and Leicester losing their games.

Yep. We just don't seem to have the brass balls needed to get promotion. I'm dreading the playoffs.

• Like 1

Thought I could finally give up after today but if Leeds lose we're still clinging on

Which is nice, but if we were just half decent during that February spell we'd be in some spot right now

Pointless what-ifs anyway but wild that we're being kept around 

I’ve seen nothing over the last couple of months that suggests we can go away to the top 3 and get the 9 points needed for automatic promotion. It’s the playoffs for sure. Would love to be proven wrong but being realistic. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

I’ve seen nothing over the last couple of months that suggests we can go away to the top 3 and get the 9 points needed for automatic promotion. It’s the playoffs for sure. Would love to be proven wrong but being realistic. 

We are what we are.  We're one of the best teams in the division, but not one of the best 2 teams.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Frustrating that it's still possible with everyone having a bit of a wobble at the moment, but you just know we won't capitalise. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Not a terrible set of results in the end. Bit of a missed opportunity but keeps us in it.

More frustration than anything for me, a case of 'what could have been' - these sides will wobble but not much....and when they do we need to avoid doing the same, otherwise nothing changes. But today we also slipped up so whatever they've done is pretty irrelevant really.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Not a terrible set of results in the end. Bit of a missed opportunity but keeps us in it.

Yes not mathmatically out of it yet due to the games in hand and having to play the top 3 but it does seem so unlikely that if I were to say I'd get a tattoo of Russ on my bum should we go up automatically, then I'd be pretty sure I'd have no tattoo of Russ on my bum come May.

Just now, SNSUN said:

Yes not mathmatically out of it yet due to the games in hand and having to play the top 3 but it does seem so unlikely that if I were to say I'd get a tattoo of Russ on my bum should we go up automatically, then I'd be pretty sure I'd have no tattoo of Russ on my bum come May.

Bottoms up! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Given the relative GD we have to get more points than at least one of Leeds or Leicester, and possibly both. Winning the games in hand AND beating them both still leaves us short and relying on their dropping points elsewhere.

23 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Given the relative GD we have to get more points than at least one of Leeds or Leicester, and possibly both. Winning the games in hand AND beating them both still leaves us short and relying on their dropping points elsewhere.

Although that would go a long way to making up the goal difference.

If we were to beat Ipswich on Monday, then we will have gained ground on at least 2 of the top 3 over the easter fixtures, albeit maybe only a point. So not sure how today's result completely rules us out of the automatics. It was always the case we'd need to win at the top 3, those games are far more valuable than against the others. I'm sure if we'd have won today and drew at Ipswich it would be seen as a good return. It's very fine margins though; lose on Monday and that's absolutely it. Fairplay to Ipswich though they are relentless. 

1 hour ago, Saint_Tony said:

If we were to beat Ipswich on Monday, then we will have gained ground on at least 2 of the top 3 over the easter fixtures, albeit maybe only a point. So not sure how today's result completely rules us out of the automatics. It was always the case we'd need to win at the top 3, those games are far more valuable than against the others. I'm sure if we'd have won today and drew at Ipswich it would be seen as a good return. It's very fine margins though; lose on Monday and that's absolutely it. Fairplay to Ipswich though they are relentless. 

I know this nonsense is going to go on until is completely mathmatically impossible but honestly.

We are not going to finish above two of Ipswich/Leeds/Leicester. Even if we beat all three of them in the "more valuable" single games.

If we can't win a home match against mid table make weights when we really need to then we ain't going up automatically. All about the play offs now.

Edited by CB Fry