Saints 2-1 QPR - Match Thread

whelk

43 minutes ago, InTheChannel said:

Maybe it’s because I work with a QPR fan or maybe it’s due to the, at best, sporadic home record in recent seasons but I’ve got a funny feeling about Saturday.

Choosing to ignore it I’ll say 2-1 Saints 

Hmm me too, it might be because I’m going (though last league match I went to was the 4-1 v Brentford).

Fear this might be an 80% possession domination, but a 1-0 or 2-1 defeat. 

11 hours ago, whelk said:

@Turkish Southampton Pride on Saturday so the Cultural Quarter will be vibrant and awash with colour and life. Hope you can make the game?

Blimey town will be busy then, 30k+ at St Mary's, Pride, few cruise ships in plus a train strike , better leave bit more time to travel 

2-0 to Saints.

Apparently QPR have a lot of injuries, and generally if they start poorly they don't improve.

Bazunu;
KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Manning
Charles, Downes, Stu Armstrong
Tella, Adams, Adam Armstrong

I think Edozie will be benched and Alcaraz will be back but only from the bench. Adams to still be a Saints player. Sulemana to return to the bench after injury.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Bazunu;

KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Manning;

Downes;

Alcaraz, Arma;

Tella, Adams, Edozie.

Lumley, Lyanco, Perraud, Charles, Stuey, Aribo, SAA, Sulemana, Mara/Ballard.

I'd go with this.

I'd go with that.

That bench is no worse than our bench for much of last season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

2-0 to Saints.

Apparently QPR have a lot of injuries, and generally if they start poorly they don't improve.

Bazunu;
KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Manning
Charles, Downes, Stu Armstrong
Tella, Adams, Adam Armstrong

I think Edozie will be benched and Alcaraz will be back but only from the bench. Adams to still be a Saints player. Sulemana to return to the bench after injury.

Have they actually confirmed certain injured players are out or is this based on speculation due to players being subbed off in their last game? 

We shouldn't have to rely on it , but every little helps. 

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Would be a nice pick me up for the female fans to help them get over the disappointment of a draw at home to QPR.

Don’t forget the rainbow saints they’d like it too 

#frothingatthegash

#erectionsallround

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Can’t see him dropping Shea Charles, think he will start alongside Downes, with Alcaraz in front.

Well i did consider this, But I thought Arma has been really excellent in that 8 that he'd do well there again.

Be interesting to see who Russell picks when we have all our midfield options available to choose from.

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Can’t see him dropping Shea Charles, think he will start alongside Downes, with Alcaraz in front.

Very possible, and that would give the defence much more protection. 

3 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Well i did consider this, But I thought Arma has been really excellent in that 8 that he'd do well there again.

Be interesting to see who Russell picks when we have all our midfield options available to choose from.

Most likely to be Stu, Charles, and alcaraz as a starting midfield surely? Downes has had food poisoning and needs time to settle and adjust to the squad and tactics - I.e. More likely to appear from the bench?

Also quite surprised by the number of people happy to see Charles dropped to the bench. Been great so far. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, The Cat said:

Would be a nice pick me up for the female fans to help them get over the disappointment of a draw at home to QPR.

To see a chipolata swinging in the wind? I'll reserve judgement til I've seen it 🫣😂

I'm going for a 2-0...not sure why as I'm not vaguely confident of a clean sheet, but bringing a newbie along so hoping we'll continue to look promising...

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Charles was excellent at Plymouth. If anything, can see Downes as the sub

If Downes really was as ill and lost as much weight as has been reported, then I very much doubt he will start anyway, regardless of Charles' performance in the last game.

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If Downes really was as ill and lost as much weight as has been reported, then I very much doubt he will start anyway, regardless of Charles' performance in the last game.

He did look gaunt in his interview. Needs to spend a few days with Luke Shaw visiting various service stations and beef up a bit.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

He won't start Downes as he's nowhere near match fit. Food poisoning will have knocked him sideways for a couple of weeks at least. I doubt he will start Alcaraz either, still in rehab. Both will need time to get up to speed. Probably give both of them 10 minutes later on.

It'll be the same midfield as last week, he won't change a winning team.

4-0 to Saints looks attainable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

He won't start Downes as he's nowhere near match fit. Food poisoning will have knocked him sideways for a couple of weeks at least. I doubt he will start Alcaraz either, still in rehab. Both will need time to get up to speed. Probably give both of them 10 minutes later on.

Is there any news on Smallbone? We went from medium term injury to short term/not as bad as thought last week. Gonna be a bit of a selection headache when Charles, Downes and Smallbone are all fit (though I think Smallbone is better further forward). 

3 hours ago, Leighsterrr said:

To see a chipolata swinging in the wind? I'll reserve judgement til I've seen it 🫣😂

I'm going for a 2-0...not sure why as I'm not vaguely confident of a clean sheet, but bringing a newbie along so hoping we'll continue to look promising...

Sounds like you already have seen it!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Is there any news on Smallbone? We went from medium term injury to short term/not as bad as thought last week. Gonna be a bit of a selection headache when Charles, Downes and Smallbone are all fit (though I think Smallbone is better further forward). 

Waiting on Martin's PC when we should get an update on Smallbone. Can't see him making the squad this week as no picture of him in training.

Agree, suddenly we seem to have a plethora of promising midfield options which can only be good news for a promotion push.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I've never understood this "never change a winning team" malarkey. If Alcaraz/Downes are fit enough then I'm sure they will start as Alcaraz is one of our best players and Downes potentially could be. 

• Like 3

Baz

KWP   Stephens  Bed  Manning

Charles   Downes

Tella           Alcaraz           AA

Adams

Was hoping that we would make a winning start at St Marys last time, but it was a good point after all. Nothing less than a win this time. They look poor, we've been playing well. 3-1 Saints

• Like 2

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 2-1 QPR - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-1 QPR - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic