Saints 2-1 QPR - Match Thread

whelk

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

1:30

If RM confirms Che is not in the squad this weekend then hopefully someone actually asks him what he thinks of Piroe going to Leeds/what his view is on a potential replacement.

1 minute ago, iansums said:

Was there any further information on Downes as to when he is going to be available?

Nothing concrete, just that Martin said he’s training well and building himself back up after illness. Martin almost told what looked like it would be a funny story about him but got interrupted and the conversation changed tack. Overall said he’s been really well received by the group and is very happy to be here.

16 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Nothing concrete, just that Martin said he’s training well and building himself back up after illness. Martin almost told what looked like it would be a funny story about him but got interrupted and the conversation changed tack. Overall said he’s been really well received by the group and is very happy to be here.

Hope it wasn't another story about eating poorly cooked meat! Typical journos interupting, drives me mad when they do it on TV.

• Like 1

Ballard starting for the under 21's tonight possibly suggests that Che will be involved tomorrow. No Doyle or Finnigan for the under 21's tomorrow so they may be involved with the first team squad. 

9 minutes ago, egg said:

Ballard starting for the under 21's tonight possibly suggests that Che will be involved tomorrow. No Doyle or Finnigan for the under 21's tomorrow so they may be involved with the first team squad. 

Ballard started for the U21's last week. Played 60 minutes and was on the bench Vs Plymouth.

Look to see when he's taken off.

• Like 1

Bazunu; KWP, Stephens, Bednarek, Manning; Charles, Downes, Alcaraz; Edozie, SAA (Fraser), Armstrong.

Subs: Lumley, Lyanco, Perraud, Bree, S.Armstrong, Aribo, Djenepo, Mara, Ballard.

If rumours about Che & Tella not being involved are true.

Very lightweight up top all of a sudden. 

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

Bazunu; KWP, Stephens, Bednarek, Manning; Charles, Downes, Alcaraz; Edozie, SAA (Fraser), Armstrong.

Subs: Lumley, Lyanco, Perraud, Bree, S.Armstrong, Aribo, Djenepo, Mara, Ballard.

If rumours about Che & Tella not being involved are true.

Very lightweight up top all of a sudden. 

Difficult to see that team scoring many goals from open play. 

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

With Che and Tella playing I'd have said a nailed on home win. Without them I'm much more pessimistic.

Alcaraz is probably our best hope.

Don't think we've scored an open play goal in th league that hasn't been scored by Tella or Che. Did not expect us to be here a week out from the window closing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James said:

Don't think we've scored an open play goal in th league that hasn't been scored by Tella or Che. Did not expect us to be here a week out from the window closing 

Why? its been painfully obvious that would be the case. 

Bazunu

Kwp Stephens Bednarek Manning

Charles

Alcaraz A.Armstrong

Tella                                       Edozie

Adams

• Like 1

2 hours ago, egg said:

Ballard played the full 90 this evening so doubt he’ll be involved. Might indicate good news ref Che.

Then again might mean a surprise recall for Tall Paul 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

2 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

Bazunu

Charles

Alcaraz       Downes

Fraser                                   Edozie

Arma

When you look at it like that, you can really see the downgrade in our attack. 

Has turned into a bit of a must win. If we have a disappointing end to the transfer window then we go into some very tough games in September. Fans could turn very quickly and will do even faster if we drop points tomorrow after today's events. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Having heard the press conference and the latest transfer news, I'm going with:

Baz

KWP                   Bednarek                         Stephens                Manning

Charles            S Armstrong

Alcaraz

Aribo                                   A Armstrong                               Edozie

The big call will be who replaces Tella.  Sam AA probably deserves it but I reckon we'll go with Aribo because RM seems to like him and talks a fair bit about him.  I'm hoping this and the Plymouth games are squad wise the weakest we put out.  

Tight game and still don't think we're anywhere near a clean sheet but I'm going for 3-2.

2 hours ago, Saint Scott said:

Bazunu

Charles

Alcaraz       Downes

Fraser                                   Edozie

Arma

Crikey :(

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nolan said:

Bazunu

Charles

Alcaraz A.Armstrong

Tella                                       Edozie

Adams

Bazunu

Charles

Alcaraz A.Armstrong

Amo-Ameyaw                          Edozie

Adams

On 23/08/2023 at 19:27, FarehamSaintJames said:

2-0 to Saints.

Apparently QPR have a lot of injuries, and generally if they start poorly they don't improve.

Bazunu;
KWP, Bednarek, Stephens, Manning
Charles, Downes, Stu Armstrong
Tella, Adams, Adam Armstrong

I think Edozie will be benched and Alcaraz will be back but only from the bench. Adams to still be a Saints player. Sulemana to return to the bench after injury.

Maybe remove Tella from the starting eleven and replace him with Edozie.

2-1 prediction now 🤪

My first game at St Mary’s since early 2019. 

Gave up my season ticket after the season of Puel and then only went to 3 or 4 games a season during Pelegrín’s and Hughes’s and only saw bad losses.

Partly due to how bad the football was and the increasing costs - but also family circumstances.

Even gave up watching Saints on TV at the end of last season we were so bad.

Im a little bit excited and nervous about today - but I have missed match days.

have to confess though I bought a ticket last minute as I was starting to worry it might be last chance to see a home win for a while with our ever decreasing team 

hoping Adams gives us one more game and starts up front - but apart from that the  first 11 picks itself as we are looking a bit thin with outgoings, incomings not match ready and injuries.

Bazunu

KWP  Stephens  Bednarek  Manning

Charles

Alcaraz  S Armstrong

A Armstrong                         Edozie

Adams

Edited by Rebel

52 minutes ago, JRM said:

Game looks a total sell out now (except for some hospitality) , the fans have certainly got behind the club so far this season turning up in big numbers every game 

As you say, was showing as an entire sell-out earlier. Been keeping my eye on it waiting for the ticket exchange to open as got a couple of mates now looking for tickets, but 1 ticket in the Northam and 1 in the Itchen North have just suddenly appeared if anyone's looking for just single tickets.

I'm sure there'll be a few left peeved when they see the usual empty seats at the front of the Itchen on TV later yet they couldn't buy tickets.

Edited by TheAlehouseBrawlers
typo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

As you say, was showing as an entire sell-out earlier. Been keeping my eye on it waiting for the ticket exchange to open as got a couple of mates now looking for tickets, but 1 ticket in the Northam and 1 in the Itchen North have just suddenly appeared if anyone's looking for just single tickets.

I'm sure there'll be a few left peeved when they see the usual empty seats at the front of the Itchen on TV later yet they couldn't buy tickets.

I'd ticket exchange still a thing for season ticket holders? Not sure I've seen that option to list it for sale 

It really is about time that the losing mentality curse of St Mary's was exorcised completely with a comfortable win. Saints should have the means to do so but I just cannot shake off that nagging anxiety. An early Saints goal will help.

15 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ryan Fraser I think is 50/50, probably more doubtful. Mason Holgate won't be in today's squad.

I'm sure Flynn Downes will start.

I'll be surprised if Downes starts, Martin said he needs to build up again after his illness, or something to that affect. 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 2-1 QPR - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-1 QPR - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic