January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

3 hours ago, Master Bates said:

NEW SIGNING

Screenshot_20240112-055127_Samsung Internet.jpg

Good news... We've beaten an FFP hamstrung Everton and a name dropped league 1 side to his signing. Heck of a coup this. Hopefully he's hungry! 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Can you point me I the exact post please. It’s not that I disbelieve you but I need to know how this works.

you'll need to look on the CoT thread mate, it's all on there.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Too much self flagellation on there - just the exact post please. 

Oh do keep up toadhall, dont you remember the picture he posted of the wet marshland, well there is marshland in Ireland, so there it is, the link in full glorious colour too!

Edited by Saint Marky
Why not
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Oldandtired said:

I don't doubt this is a superb signing.... for the future. TBH I'd like to see the signings that are going to help us here and now to perhaps make the difference in the push for promotion .

Other departments underneath the first team will sign players, this is not a signing that's anything to do with the first team. All clubs recruit at all their levels, but social media means that even the most random young kids names get leaked and it's published as ''Southampton sign x'' - but it's not like that, we've just recruited a kid. It's always happened.

Signing a kid for the academy is not linked in any what to what we do with the first team today. They're two separate streams.

• Like 5

Did we ever sign that American lad that had trials with a few clubs including us, and it seemed it was going to be us who got him? Can’t remember his name but I think it was this season. 

29 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Did we ever sign that American lad that had trials with a few clubs including us, and it seemed it was going to be us who got him? Can’t remember his name but I think it was this season. 

Adeteye Gbadehan ended up at Port Vale on a short term contract I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saintwbu said:

Freddy Adu? ;)

2 hours ago, St. Neil said:

Adeteye Gbadehan ended up at Port Vale on a short term contract I think.

Very short term by the sounds of it:

The registration of midfielder Adeteye Gbadahan has been rejected by the relevant football authorities and due to this the 19-year-old will return now return to the United States.

We'd like to thank Adeteye for his professionalism during his short-time with us and wish him the best of luck for the future.

3 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

"I'm sure we'll end up with someone we are happy with" reads to me as if we've missed out on a number of players in that position. 

If you are reading that into that anodyne sentence then I think you can read that into anything Russell Martin says about the window all month.

I've no doubt we have missed out on targets, but that's just us and every football club in every transfer window for all time.

• Like 6

On 10/01/2024 at 11:19, wild-saint said:

Then you wouldnt be the purchasing club you would be the club the player turned down for a a better salary elsewhere.

But where if nobody else wants him and he wants PL football?

There was one giveaway during the 2nd part that revealed something I suspect he did not want to giveaway. 

His whole demeanour adjusted when talking about bringing in a quality player who (loosely paraphrasing) likely knew what  it takes to play in the championship / (inference probably that they had already done so). That body adjustment / demeanour change which also came with a micro second of introspective thought Usually means “ oops that’s a leak “ in body language terms. Remember he’s trying not to give the game away on transfer targets but to appear open and forthcoming at same time. 

That’s not startling news because both Benson and Brookes tick that box for Burnley and Bournemouth respectively but there are one or two others that do fall into that category - Carvalho of course we missed but there’s an ex Sunderland player at Man yoo and one or two others similar but not quite as fitting the “ quality” standard that RM says is vital potentially also on radar or even standby. 

Also RM strongly Suggested it’s not gonna be another green back like Joe O’Brian but potentially somebody ( by inference) not phased at having to fight v established experienced player / internationals for that starting slot. 

Just my observations / impressions from his words and how he said them body posture his breathing & colouration , gestures etc. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ally_uk said:

I'd be happy with Diallo or Brooks on loan job done 👍 

And if Adams goes Miovski 

I’ve not watched much of Utd - where does Diallo fit in the pecking order now Sancho has left?

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I’ve not watched much of Utd - where does Diallo fit in the pecking order now Sancho has left?

Played 40 mins in the loss to Forest but then wasn't even in the squad for the cup game v Wigan.

11 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I think I would prefer Brooks myself. He has more proven experience under his belt. I have witnessed how devastating a cancer diagnosis can be (my wife, father and mother) and I think that a drop down to the Championship where he will have more time on the ball is exactly what he needs also. This is a loan transfer that could benefit player and both clubs.  Having had cancer he will also want to stay close to his medical support centre. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

I think I would prefer Brooks myself. He has more proven experience under his belt. I have witnessed how devastating a cancer diagnosis can be (my wife, father and mother) and I think that a drop down to the Championship where he will have more time on the ball is exactly what he needs also. This is a loan transfer that could benefit player and both clubs.  Having had cancer he will also want to stay close to his medical support centre. 

All the best to your family members Lambtiss.    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Someone on twitter reporting we are loaning in Joe Rothwell from Bournemouth who appears to be a defensive midfielder. Have to say I have never heard of him. 

seems odd

Adds genuine depth in an area I thought we were short in in the summer - if we lose Downes then we just have Charles, who is pretty inexperienced to be fair.

Given Downes health concerns it makes sense to get an experienced body in to lighten the load a bit in that area.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

seems odd

To describe him as a defensive midfielder is wrong imo as I think he is attack minded. Just watched his skills video from when he played at Blackburn and I couldn't believe how easily he glides past opponents sometimes getting past 3 or 4 at a time. He may have lost some of that ability but would suggest people look at that video because it is an eye opener. If he can recreate some of those skills for us he'd be a huge asset. Let's see.

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

To describe him as a defensive midfielder is wrong imo as I think he is attack minded. Just watched his skills video from when he played at Blackburn and I couldn't believe how easily he glides past opponents sometimes getting past 3 or 4 at a time. He may have lost some of that ability but would suggest people look at that video because it is an eye opener. If he can recreate some of those skills for us he'd be a huge asset. Let's see.

He mostly plays CM for Bournemouth when he's not on the bench but is the sort of player who can fit in anywhere across the midfield.

Good on the ball and those driving runs will cause problems for the opposition.

A decent player to get in for the second half of the season. 

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He mostly plays CM for Bournemouth when he's not on the bench but is the sort of player who can fit in anywhere across the midfield.

Good on the ball and those driving runs will cause problems for the opposition.

A decent player to get in for the second half of the season. 

Who do you think he will be competing with? Not the type of player I thought we would be getting in so bit of a surprise there. 

8 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Who do you think he will be competing with? Not the type of player I thought we would be getting in so bit of a surprise there. 

I'd think he would be competition/cover for the likes of Stu Armstrong and Charlie Alcaraz.

2 hours ago, Long Shot said:

Never known such a quiet window. I still feel a proper goal scorer to be necessary. Had we someone like Danny Ings upfront we would be up with Leicester by now. 

To be fair the team has played so well lately that there are no real gaps in the squad. The only real question mark is Che/new striker but while he's here, he seems to be delivering. Martin has said he wants a RW to replace Tella but even that isn't a big priority whilst we have other options there (and SAA and Dibling waiting in the wings). It's the first transfer window where I haven't actively wished we'd go out and sign somebody immediately - we're fine as we are right now. As the season goes on and injuries and suspensions tot up we might hope to see an extra player or two brought in for that, but otherwise there's not much point.

EDIT - I had that all written and since then the Rothwell loan has been announced!

Edited by SNSUN

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I think he’s a cover for a lot of options, Blackburn supporting mate of mine said he played off the left a fair bit for them too. 

Somewhat Worryingly he looks to me like an alternate to Stu. Stu, 31 and 32 in March I believe,?  who is in last six months of his contract also..or Charlie or Aribo. All sameish position and he’s hardly what youcall a right winger so Why need another of these - unless one of them is off????

Edited by gio1saints
Omitted Charlie and Aribo as alternates

13 hours ago, St. Neil said:

Played 40 mins in the loss to Forest but then wasn't even in the squad for the cup game v Wigan.

He was ill, apparently.

5 hours ago, lambtiss said:

Sorry to read about your family mate.  It's a terrible illness.  

Always liked Brooks from back at Sheff Utd days.  Thought he looked really silky for them.  An early Man City product who didn't make the grade there, but you can see why he was in their system.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lambtiss said:

Good luck with your future.

• Like 1

I know there’s all sorts of machinations and intrigue around transfers these days but I was wondering why we haven’t apparently tried to sign Fraser on a permanent deal yet. IMO he’s certainly shown enough to be an asset to the club. Anyone know anything?

4 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

I know there’s all sorts of machinations and intrigue around transfers these days but I was wondering why we haven’t apparently tried to sign Fraser on a permanent deal yet. IMO he’s certainly shown enough to be an asset to the club. Anyone know anything?

Probably wants to wait to see what division we are in next ssason. Ditto Downes

• Like 1