January Transfer Window 2024

Master Bates

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Think we are still paying RHs wages. Think I’m right in saying Managers get paid to the end of their contracts or until they take up a new contract with someone else. 

Yep, or until we agree a deal to pay cash in lieu. There are usually many million reasons why PL managers don't rush back to work after being sacked. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

that's to replace former Saint Kayne Ramsay who has just left. Harrogate have done a bit of business over the last year with Saints, seems a bit strange for a small club in North Yorkshire, Ramsay, Olaigbe, now Abu. 

i wonder what links the two together???

Is it possible the lads that have gone there are from the area and so it gives them game time and they get to be closer to family for a bit? 

An excellent window. Keeping KWP, Adams, Bendarek, Sulemana, and the Armstrongs cannot be underestimated.

Either cash is short in the EPL or they aren't as good as we think they are. Bit of both I suspect.

On top of that only one youngster left and the club picked up Brookes.

Even Alcaraz going on loan has some positive aspects. Juve will never pay £35 million and he could return as a prepped Premier League standard player. Equally he could be lost to us.

Same could be said of ABK but his continued injuries are worrying, but hopefully all is not lost.

Now the business end of the season starts.

Edited by macca155
  • Like 1

Id rate this window a 9.  Came out of it stronger and kept the core together.  I left it a 9 because we could have been pleasantly surprised with a phenomenal secret goal scorers.  But overall very pleased, we even managed to make a potential profit which will be needed if we do go up 

• Like 3

Great to wake up and only exits are Holgate (albeit we could not have otherwise names all loans in same squad) and Alcaraz which looks good value for money especially considering him being unlikely to start.  We need to constantly think of FFP rules, just ask Everton and Forest.

Only material risk I think is centre back cover, where reliant on Charles to be effectively fourth choice.  Always an option to play a back three and use Bree there I suppose to bolster, but fingers crossed THB, Jan and Jack stay fit

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Ipswich have done some excellent business this window. 

They sure have. The 4 way fight for the top 2 spots is gonna be interesting, and tough. 

I'd give the transfer window a B.

We are still short at left back and centre back.  But more than anything I'd have liked a centre forward.

It looks like we are relying on Bree to provide cover for right and left back as well as centre back alongside Charles.  I guess Meghoma could provide cover at left back but it still feels a little bit short to me.

Keeping KWP was probably the most important thing.  And adding Brooks to cover the gap at right wing was brilliant. Although I am not sure where he fits as Adarma is better when playing there.

But I don't want to end up having to play Adarma at centre forward. He is so much better as a wide forward. 

Relying on Adams and Mara up front does worry me a bit.  But hopefully now that Adams knows he is staying he will find his scoring boots a bit more often.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Is it possible the lads that have gone there are from the area and so it gives them game time and they get to be closer to family for a bit? 

The Belgian Kazeem Olagbie, Kayne Ramsay from Hackney or the German Derek Abu who moved to London a 2 year old? Negative.

Interesting that two clubs 270 miles apart with no historical or geographical connections have suddenly started working together. Must be another of those coincidences 🙄

Edited by Turkish

18 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Ipswich have done some excellent business this window. 

Unfortunately, they have. 

Wouldn't have minded Moore down here had Che left. 

Still - very happy and comfortable with the buisness we've done. Can't wait to see Brooks. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Dman said:

Unfortunately, they have. 

Wouldn't have minded Moore down here had Che left. 

Still - very happy and comfortable with the buisness we've done. Can't wait to see Brooks. 

Think Moore will do well in their direct style. They get the ball forward much more quickly than we do. I’d rather have Adams/Arma play that position on our system though. A fit Stewart would have been a great option but we have to settle with hoping Mara can step up if needed.

1 minute ago, goodymatt said:

Think Moore will do well in their direct style. They get the ball forward much more quickly than we do. I’d rather have Adams/Arma play that position on our system though. A fit Stewart would have been a great option but we have to settle with hoping Mara can step up if needed.

I find the Stewart situation very weird. 
No one has said why he is out for the season.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

4 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

I find the Stewart situation very weird. 
No one has said why he is out for the season.

Hamstring... pretty sure that was confirmed?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

The Belgian Kazeem Olagbie, Kayne Ramsay from Hackney or the German Derek Abu who moved to London a 2 year old? Negative.

Interesting that two clubs 270 miles apart with no historical or geographical connections have suddenly started working together. Must be another of those coincidences 🙄

I had no idea where they were from hence asking the question.

30 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Well what type of hamstring injury keeps out for 6 months?

A serious one.

Besides, I don't think its ever been categorically stated that he is out injured for the whole season.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24007379.southamptons-ross-stewart-sidelined-end-season/

Was more that he is unlikely to have time to build up match fitness having not played for so long and that it would be a risk to bring him back for the last say 2 or 3 games even if he was technically fit.

In the end it may well depend on our situation as to whether they would push him or think its better to just let him fully recover and then have a full pre season.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

A serious one.

Besides, I don't think its ever been categorically stated that he is out injured for the whole season.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/24007379.southamptons-ross-stewart-sidelined-end-season/

Was more that he is unlikely to have time to build up match fitness having not played for so long and that it would be a risk to bring him back for the last say 2 or 3 games even if he was technically fit.

In the end it may well depend on our situation as to whether they would push him or think its better to just let him fully recover and then have a full pre season.

I don’t when he’s done it. I was at his only appearance for us. 10 minutes away at Huddersfield where he didn’t do much and walked off normally. How can you do that in training?

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I don’t when he’s done it. I was at his only appearance for us. 10 minutes away at Huddersfield where he didn’t do much and walked off normally. How can you do that in training?

@Turkish
You’ve previously queried the possibility that it’s a hamstring. More likely a relapse of original injury. Sorry if I’ve misunderstood you and happy to be put straight. 

Perhaps the former injury led to the hamstring is what you mean?

But, if not by your quizzical commentary you have obliquely implied that we are not being told the truth. And that essentially Saints are covering up something thats massively embarrassing. Is that what you think? Just to be clear. 

If so and you are correct it’s not only embarrassing but financially disastrous  - potentially career ending for him, possibly an insurance job, potentially P45’s for saints medical team etc. 

Do you have any actual proof rather than speculation that it’s NOT what Saints have said it is - a injury that happened at latter part of that match and which is taking a long time to cure such that’s he’s been written iff for season?
You praise yourself for being ITK so for you to query it like you have means I’m paying attention. 

IF Saints are lying to supporters it’s def not a good look! 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Dusic said:

A serious one.

Carried on to the pitch by the medical team to score the 90+7 winner at Wembley in the play-off final would be a good way for him to contribute this season...

• Haha 1

Had to check on Kiefer Moore as all of you are going on like he is pele, haaland and mbappe in 1.

Best scoring recording 20 goals in 20/21 season for cardiff

Then 10 goals 19/20 season for cardiff

Then not scored more than 5 the rest of his career.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

I guess once the first deal is done, then you have built a relationship between clubs that increases the chance of a second. 

Are a lot of Town's signings failed/dropped/loanee youth team players from Prem/ex Prem clubs? I am guessing head of recruitment, i think it's former player Weaver, spends all his time at u23 games.

1 hour ago, malcolm waldron said:

Carried on to the pitch by the medical team to score the 90+7 winner at Wembley in the play-off final would be a good way for him to contribute this season...

Be better if he was on his holidays before the playoffs with a PL season ahead of him.

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Well what type of hamstring injury keeps out for 6 months?

I believe  its a three month injury, which would take him to March, then there would be the period required to get back to match fitness then which would pretty much put paid to the season. 

8 hours ago, egg said:

More red cards while on loan than saints appearances. Contract terminated. Horrific comments from Ralph. Not great for a kid we paid £3.5m for. Hopefully he finds somewhere and can carve himself a career. 

What did Ralph say?

7 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Hull have had a pretty incredible window and on paper have a very exciting team going forwards at this level. I think they are too far back to bother the automatics though.

I said they'd be a good shout for a play off spot since the start of the season, their summer signings were Philogene (who we were interested in apparently and who was on fire before his injury), Delap, Vinagre, Morton and Connolly and they've topped it off with Carvalho, Zaroury and, from what media have been saying, a decent Turkish lad. They're building well there, seem to be in good hands.

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I guess once the first deal is done, then you have built a relationship between clubs that increases the chance of a second. 

Are a lot of Town's signings failed/dropped/loanee youth team players from Prem/ex Prem clubs? I am guessing head of recruitment, i think it's former player Weaver, spends all his time at u23 games.

Bit of a mix, loans from local higher placed clubs, pick up good players from non league and players who have dropped down the leagues. There are still a small group of 4-5 players from the conference North days usually at least 2-3 of them start on a weekend plus the manager is still there. The days of big money (for that league) signings like John Stead seem to have gone thankfully. 

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

If MLG was still around there would be a Mr Wrong picture in his reply to this post because Stewart also came on at home to West Brom for the last 10 minutes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

I said they'd be a good shout for a play off spot since the start of the season, their summer signings were Philogene (who we were interested in apparently and who was on fire before his injury), Delap, Vinagre, Morton and Connolly and they've topped it off with Carvalho, Zaroury and, from what media have been saying, a decent Turkish lad. They're building well there, seem to be in good hands.

Yep I've got them finishing 5th. So many teams in with a shout though. 

10 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I understand they’ve gone there for the tea rooms and natural springs. 

7 hours ago, gio1saints said:

@Turkish
You’ve previously queried the possibility that it’s a hamstring. More likely a relapse of original injury. Sorry if I’ve misunderstood you and happy to be put straight. 

Perhaps the former injury led to the hamstring is what you mean?

But, if not by your quizzical commentary you have obliquely implied that we are not being told the truth. And that essentially Saints are covering up something thats massively embarrassing. Is that what you think? Just to be clear. 

If so and you are correct it’s not only embarrassing but financially disastrous  - potentially career ending for him, possibly an insurance job, potentially P45’s for saints medical team etc. 

Do you have any actual proof rather than speculation that it’s NOT what Saints have said it is - a injury that happened at latter part of that match and which is taking a long time to cure such that’s he’s been written iff for season?
You praise yourself for being ITK so for you to query it like you have means I’m paying attention. 

IF Saints are lying to supporters it’s def not a good look! 

any chance of bullet points?

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Had to check on Kiefer Moore as all of you are going on like he is pele, haaland and mbappe in 1.

Best scoring recording 20 goals in 20/21 season for cardiff

Then 10 goals 19/20 season for cardiff

Then not scored more than 5 the rest of his career.

Yep - I would wager Ipswich will finish below Saints and Leeds (and of course the Foxes).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rebel said:

I'd give the transfer window a B.

We are still short at left back and centre back.  But more than anything I'd have liked a centre forward.

It looks like we are relying on Bree to provide cover for right and left back as well as centre back alongside Charles.  I guess Meghoma could provide cover at left back but it still feels a little bit short to me.

Keeping KWP was probably the most important thing.  And adding Brooks to cover the gap at right wing was brilliant. Although I am not sure where he fits as Adarma is better when playing there.

But I don't want to end up having to play Adarma at centre forward. He is so much better as a wide forward. 

Relying on Adams and Mara up front does worry me a bit.  But hopefully now that Adams knows he is staying he will find his scoring boots a bit more often.

Che was never moving in the end clearly there was an issue with him but must have been sorted because the last couple of games he has been miles more motivated. Dont know what happened don’t really care but a motivated Che is like a new signing. 
I watched him play for Scotland a lot . He was an amazing player released from the shitshow that Southampton at the time.
cant remember the exact game but Che showed some remarkable skills in defence Scots turned that into an attack and Che completely rinsed Vestegaard and scored.

Just now, manji said:

Che was never moving in the end clearly there was an issue with him but must have been sorted because the last couple of games he has been miles more motivated. Dont know what happened don’t really care but a motivated Che is like a new signing. 
I watched him play for Scotland a lot . He was an amazing player released from the shitshow that Southampton at the time.
cant remember the exact game but Che showed some remarkable skills in defence Scots turned that into an attack and Che completely rinsed Vestegaard and scored.

I'll take a guess and say it was against Denmark. 😉

• Haha 6

On 02/02/2024 at 09:35, Turkish said:

I assume it’s a club we have a good relationship with. Further enough away so the places have to live up there and the club obviously look after our players previously so happy to loan to them in a regular basis. 

So in the end nobody was interested in Adams. That lad needs to pull his socks up because if he isn't offered a new contract by Saints in the summer (and he shouldn't be), then he'll end up being glad that Accrington Stanley might be willing to take a punt on him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

36 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

So in the end nobody was interested in Adams. That lad needs to pull his socks up because if he isn't offered a new contract by Saints in the summer (and he shouldn't be), then he'll end up being glad that Accrington Stanley might be willing to take a punt on him. 

Bit harsh

• Like 3