Watford 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

The Cat

Looking forward to seeing what the Brimson brothers have to say for themselves. Written a few works of fantasy in the past, requests to write books and films about the DEF have been ignored. Word is they are trying to tempt with Jason Statham being desperate to play the part of me in the movie Ding Dongs at the Dell

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

Looking forward to seeing what the Brimson brothers have to say for themselves. Written a few works of fantasy in the past, requests to write books and films about the DEF have been ignored. Word is they are trying to tempt with Jason Statham being desperate to play the part of me in the movie Ding Dongs at the Dell

They’re too busy with the Right Said Fred tribute act these days - Hey Dougie! 

And it seems to me you lived your life
Like a Watford in the wind
Never knowing who to cling to
When the Saints steamed in…

2 - 0 another convincing win and an extra glossy chestnut mousse for Russ, because he’s worth it. Bollocks to Elton! 

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Like 3

Watford are only Won half of their home fixtures.

Looks like Watford pegged Hull back and they resorted to pelters from outside the box with 15 of 23 shots from outside the box. 

Our form trumps their form when you look at who theyve played recently.

image.png.7def10912cecaf7cec7db348e83fd381.png

Really interesting next 3 games, that could give the strongest indication yet of the likelihood of promotion this season. Each game is tricky. 

• Watford - only lost once in last 9 games. And score a lot of goals at home. 
  • Coventry - having a poor season compared to last, but have only lost once at home 
  • Blackburn - strong away form, only Leicester have won more. 

Really impressed with the performance against Cardiff. The diamond formation including Charles really suited our play and for the 2nd half v Bristol C.  Slightly worried that injuries could start to be an issue with having to play 7 games before 2nd Jan, but this is the most optimistic that I have been all season. 

If we get 9 points from those three, I may start to believe that automatic promotion is a strong possibility. Although if you offered me 2 wins and a draw for these 3 games, I'd bite your hand off.

I have only two strong memories of this fixture.

The first was going with my brother on a very cold Boxing Day (I think it was our first season back in the Cshp in 2005/6) and getting outmuscled all over the pitch and soundly beaten 3-0. 

And the other was more recently, in the days before VAR, when Doucoure literally punched the ball into the net to equalise and all the officials completely missed it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

The first was going with my brother on a very cold Boxing Day (I think it was our first season back in the Cshp in 2005/6) and getting outmuscled all over the pitch and soundly beaten 3-0. 

And the other was more recently, in the days before VAR, when Doucoure literally punched the ball into the net to equalise and all the officials completely missed it.

I just remember being so angry with Pellegrino that game. 

absolute muppet stood on the side line without a clue 

46 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

My two memories are rather better. I wasn’t at either game but:

• 2012 when Lambert scored a hat trick, I was on holiday and kept checking the scores.
  • 2017 under Puel, when we won 4-3. That and a 4-0 win at hopeless Sunderland a couple of weeks before somehow built a myth that Puel’s teams were a free-flowing goal machine away from home.
  • Like 1

They have a very good home record. It will be a tough one if they are indeed still in form and a draw would not be a bad result, though again I would say if we really do want to push on into the top 2, we have to be winning these games. Their only two home defeats were against Boro and Blackburn, which is a bit odd. Since the last of those two defeats they have won 3 and drawn 1 and lost 0. Let us hope their form is about to dip.

Watford 10 5 3 2 21 10 +11 18

9 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Think this could be our banana skin moment, but hoping to get a win as it’s imperative to keep us in touch with the top two. 1-2 with a hard fought win…1-0 more likely.

It's an interesting weekend , some hard to call fixtures, 

Blackburn v Leeds 

Middlesbrough v Ipswich 

Watford v Saints. 

I'd be surprised if all three were away wins. 

Leicester will win at home to Plymouth. 

Sunderland v West Brom close one as well. 

Edited by JRM
  • Like 2

My memory dates back to the early eighties and the cup nightmare.

After tonking them at home I had a football trip to Denmark, the day after the 2nd leg my Danish host was mocking me about Saints getting thumped by Watford.

I couldn’t believe it when he showed me they had scored 7.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, northam soul said:

After tonking them at home I had a football trip to Denmark, the day after the 2nd leg my Danish host was mocking me about Saints getting thumped by Watford.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/9549653.former-southampton-defender-jan-paul-saeijs-recalls-his-30-yard-free-kick-against-watford-in-2009/

Couldn't find a video but this scorcher went some way to making up for it, right behind it and it was in from the moment he hit it! Hadn't realised til l read it that he also scored our other goal in that game too. 

• Like 1

On 05/12/2023 at 13:05, northam soul said:

Talking of memories, mine was Nathan Redmond coming over and give the bloke in front of us' kid his shirt which was then on the official Saints photo page, with our mugs right behind the guy holding up the shirt. Don't know him but this year at Reading he was waving at us as if he knew us...can only think he's got that photo on some screensaver!

Strange how s Saintsplus members, we could get tickets for Watford when we were in the premiership but now in the championship they're sold out long before reaching us. Everyone likes to watch a winning team!

8 hours ago, Appy said:

Don’t think we’ve lost there since 2007. 

I remember well the Nathan Dyer goal to put us 2-1 up.   And then the late Watford brace to snatch the win.....not Kelvin Davis' finest moment from memory.   Hard to believe that's 16 years ago!

Watford stats

Goals and shots

Expected Goals - 17th

Goals for - 12th

Shots - 11th

Shots on target - 10th

Shot accuracy - 14th

Goal conversion % - 14th

Goals against - 7th best

Expected Goals Against - 3rd best

Shots conceded - 6th best

On Target Shots Conceded - 11th best

Pressing

Build-up Disruption - 3rd

Gegenpressing - 10th

PPDA (Passes Per Defensive Action) - 8th

Build-Up

One-twos - 8th

Successful dribbles - 6th

Pass accuracy - 8th

Successful crosses - 9th

Physicality

Tackles won - 8th

Fouls conceded - 2nd

Yellow and red cards - 7th

----------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion:

Watford are a physical team with limited attacking ability but excellent at disrupting opposition build-up play, and excellent at defending.

Because I'm in a good mood, I'll leave this here for the people that struggle to find a stream each week. (But seriously, consider paying for IPTV it's well worth it).

Does anybody have a stream for (insert event here)?
First, try sports online.

https://sportsonline.to/

After that give these a go.
https://www.rbtv77.com/

Then try any of the following:
https://olympicstreams.me/

https://www.sports803.xyz

https://freesports.to/

http://tilivizi.net

https://footybite.to

https://www.releasesky.xyz

https://fsl-stream.lu/

This is a bot in Telegram, only click it if you have the app installed.

https://t.me/SportplusliveBot

It'll give you virtually any sports event you want.

That's my good deed for the day done. Hopefully it helps a few people out.

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Can anyone recommend any pubs within walking distance of the ground?

There are quite a few as the ground is only a few minutes walk from the town centre. The Oddfellows is the designated away pub usually, but is closed for the moment. The Mooon Undewater is a Spoons used by home and away fans

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It should definitely say "limited attacking ability".

According to OPTA we are 4th for SCA ( Shot Creating Actions) per 90 minutes with c 27.5, that’s after 19 matches. Top are Ipswich with c 30 then Sunderland and Leeds. We are ahead of LCFC on this metric. 

I personally think we are good enough to be top of this metric in this league but, and this is just a guess, we’ve taken time to “ learn” the russball system and this is reflected in our current placing. 

Earlier in season our build up play was collectively much slower and less SCA helpful as was our midfield passing. These obviously all contribute to the SCA scoring.

We have been able to go through the gears a bit faster of late though so I suspect for the last half of the season we will be ( much, hopefully!) higher than 4th for instance.

6 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

According to OPTA we are 4th for SCA ( Shot Creating Actions) per 90 minutes with c 27.5, that’s after 19 matches. Top are Ipswich with c 30 then Sunderland and Leeds. We are ahead of LCFC on this metric. 

I personally think we are good enough to be top of this metric in this league but, and this is just a guess, we’ve taken time to “ learn” the russball system and this is reflected in our current placing. 

Earlier in season our build up play was collectively much slower and less SCA helpful as was our midfield passing. These obviously all contribute to the SCA scoring.

We have been able to go through the gears a bit faster of late though so I suspect for the last half of the season we will be ( much, hopefully!) higher than 4th for instance.

How are we doing on the Completed Recycling from Attacking Positions stat? I'm sure we're leading the way.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

We have been able to go through the gears a bit faster of l - te though so I suspect for the last half of the season we will be ( much, hopefully!) higher than 4th for instance.

My point exactly - limited attacking ability!

We might create lots of chances, we just don't score as many as we should (currently the same as Plymouth), hence the limitation!

• Like 1

It is a concern but in a nutshell its why we bought RS.

One can only surmise what the figure might have been if he had actually played any matches to date but the intention was clear - he was recruited to rectify the problem. 

Despite AA over performing to an extent this season I think that ( aside from learning russball) the relative absence of goals from our other more forward type players ( CA, KS and Charlie in particular) has been a key factor.

A good number of chances are being created but not enough are going in, as you point out. 

Hopefully that will change. Or AA will have to start scoring two or three every match!😇

3 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Please spare us these nonsensical ’metrics’. 

Football cannot be analysed to such precision.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Please spare us these nonsensical ’metrics’. 

Football cannot be analysed to such precision.

I think I know where you are coming from as this does sound rather like some modern football trends are not to your liking. A lot of people would agree with that including myself. Much of modern football makes me sick. I really really hate it. 

I am surprised though that you found the facts that contextualise what the OP said on our goalscoring ability bothersome. It was just ( I had hoped) helpful info to the original point 

Football analytics have always been around.  And I do not and would not ever claim they are the be all and end all of a game either.  Players are not computer programmes basically, thank goodness! 

However the kind of stats that you find bothersome CAN be helpful - and are just one way, of many, to assess a match or performance. 

You certainly must be aware Saints measure the heart rates of their players or km covered, top speed, position taken up on the pitch etc as a guide to their fitness/recovery/ability? They wear sophisticated GPS type trackers constantly  

And what’s more the date generated significantly informs the starting 11 every week as much - if not more than sometimes  - RM saying “ I fancy James Bree this week at LB”. 

If we want football to stop measuring stuff I think it’s too late. 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Watford 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic