Jones not given a chance by fans

Give it to Ron

I think the accurate version would be:

Lots of fans were very skeptical about his appointment which, when added to our league position, put significant pressure on him to show something quickly.

He had 6 weeks of training before his first few games and it was immediately obvious he hadn't been able to bring about any change during this time and if anything we were worse at the time of the season where our fixtures were favourable, tossing in a genuinely terrible performance in probably the biggest game of the season.

Aside from results he quickly alienated fans with some of his comments which further reinforced the now growing view that he was not capable of doing the job needed.

• Like 30

10 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Thank god Semmens isn’t at the club any more.  Top 5 managers in Europe?  He was an onion!

The second half at Fulham away I thought we looked really good then Forest at home!!

He didn’t endear himself with all that they rather than we stuff then that last rant which left him out on a limb with board.

Odd top 5 manager not snapped up yet 🙂

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I think the accurate version would be:

Lots of fans were very skeptical about his appointment which, when added to our league position, put significant pressure on him to show something quickly.

He had 6 weeks of training before his first few games and it was immediately obvious he hadn't been able to bring about any change during this time and if anything we were worse at the time of the season where our fixtures were favourable, tossing in a genuinely terrible performance in probably the biggest game of the season.

Aside from results he quickly alienated fans with some of his comments which further reinforced the now growing view that he was not capable of doing the job needed.

I remember well the collective feeling of dread during the first half of the first game. It was everyone who gave him a chance suddenly realising that the concerns of Stoke fans were entirely valid. He should have been sacked after the forest game where it was clear that it was a nonsense to appoint him at a premier league club. 

• Like 11

33 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Thank god Semmens isn’t at the club any more.  Top 5 managers in Europe?  He was an onion!

To be fair, Semmens is just repeating what he was told (by Jones)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm old enough to remember the shite Charlie Hughes POMO football of the late 80s / early 90s that led to Graham Taylor picking Carlton Palmer for England.  All long ball, boring 9ft tall striker bollocks and Nathan Jones is the bastard son of that shite.  We didn't give him a chance because:

• The football was shite
  • He kept talking about himself as if he was Pep
  • He marginalised our skill players
  • We lost one of the worst games of football I've ever seen this time last year to Forest at home

Everything that Stoke fans I know said would happen.  He's hated everywhere he goes and now he's on fucking telly all the time 🤦‍♂️

• Like 5

Pretty much all that article is rubbish.  Semmens says he was one of the top five managers for improving teams.  Bullshit.  I'd love to know what stats they were using to come to that conclusion because he clearly wasn't and isn't.

Presumably he's now one of the worst five managers for improving teams.

Edited by revolution saint
  • Like 2

If we had paid off ASDA in Pontypridd for Dai Laughing who collects the trollies whilst giggling about being a former Miss Universe we may have got better results than with Nathan Fucking Jones.  He was given a chance that would make the biggest chancer in Europe blush.  I really want him down the wrong end of the M27 with his DNA match to show what he can really do (spoiler alert: Insolvency)...   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well he wasn't, was he? Just as Russell wasn't. In years gone by, fans gave managers a chance regardless of whether they would have been their choice. Jones was obviously the wrong appointment but the hostility he faced straight away absolutely didn't help.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, I was wondering whether this was referring to Dave Jones or Kenwyne Jones so I'd obviously successfully managed to temporarily forget all about our worst manager who was one of the primary architects of one of our our worst seasons. This is gaslighting on the level of Liz Truss not having enough time in charge. Just hold your hands up, Semmens, and say you messed up FFS, you had a decent enough manager in Hasenhuttl but you forgot to buy him a striker at the start of the season so you got Nathan, Tall Paul and horse-shit Orsic and we are now on a nice vacation from the EPL.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

10 min interview shown here -

Thanks for sharing @S-Clarke

Shows what a disjointed mess things were last season. I don’t get why SR persisted with keeping Ralph at the start when they clearly wanted to go in a different direction. If the higher powers don’t agree on anything then plain to see why we got relegated.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Shows what a disjointed mess things were last season. I don’t get why SR persisted with keeping Ralph at the start when they clearly wanted to go in a different direction. If the higher powers don’t agree on anything then plain to see why we got relegated.

If you listen to Simon Jordan’s podcast with Jesse Marsch, it’s the exact reason he gave for pulling out of managing us. Said he was willing to sign a 3 month contract , but he started to realise the club was fractured at the very top so bailed out. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If you listen to Simon Jordan’s podcast with Jesse Marsch, it’s the exact reason he gave for pulling out of managing us. Said he was willing to sign a 3 month contract , but he started to realise the club was fractured at the very top so bailed out. 

Too true. Last season we were shite. Utter shite. 

It makes you realise what a good job the current lot are doing to have turned this round in less than 6 months. Clearly Marsch didn't believe he could do what Martin has done. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

It makes you realise what a good job the current lot are doing to have turned this round in less than 6 months. Clearly Marsch didn't believe he could do what Martin has done. 

I think what we saw last season was the club split into two parts, both in conflict with each other. You had the Crocker/Semmens/Ralph part which were wedded to one way, then you had Rasmus, Henrik, Dragan who wanted to move in another direction. There were definite power struggles last year and it sadly filtered down onto the pitch, as the club were caught between two different directions.

You can tell how keen Martin was with the RB project, he'd have never got rid of Ralph imo - that was on SR. Ditto Nathan Jones. But sadly it was fractured at the most important level, which is why you ended up getting the January window we did.

The key difference this year is the CEO, Manager and DoF were all employed by the ownership group and are all aligned to the same approach. You can never get success with a club as fractured as we were.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

"We did all the work and he was top five managers in Europe for improving teams, transitions and different things."

Are we sure that comment didn’t actually come from mad Nate?

Computer says yes!

I like my data but appointing a manager with a disregard to the personality and fit to the team is just crazy. 

• Like 2

If you take the transitions his team performed and divided it by his budget, then compared to all the other clubs in Europe he was "pound for pound" one of the best. It has to be said, this was mostly against teams with eleven players. As fans, we could have been more front footed to embrace him, helping him defeat tougher opponents with ten players. It's all on us.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

I don’t believe Martin could have done what he has done if Rasmus was still pulling the strings. Martin has come into unrecognisably superior set up with capable people around him in key roles.

He gets a fair bit of 5 live work now does Jones. Doesn't talk complete rubbish but I think he has too many thoughts racing around in his head. That and wanting to sound better than he is. 

I only went to one game with him in charge. The cup game (Blackpool I think). I guess he was under pressure by then, I was very near the dugout and I've never seen a manager so out of control of his own emotions, up and down screaming at the players and his staff. 

• Like 1

Glad semmens is gone with moronic statements like that. 
No wonder the clown got us relegated. Defending Jones is absolutely comedy.
The guy totally ruined our already poor season by being a weird, lazy, delusional bell end. 

Still think if we had appointed someone vaguely competent at that time we could have stayed up. 

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Glad semmens is gone with moronic statements like that. 
No wonder the clown got us relegated. Defending Jones is absolutely comedy.
The guy totally ruined our already poor season by being a weird, lazy, delusional bell end. 

Still think if we had appointed someone vaguely competent at that time we could have stayed up. 

In a way I'm glad we didn't. We would have most likely have ended up relegated in the next year or two anyway, the club was a mess. 

• Like 3

Semmens was a complete an utter tool who had no idea what it meant to be a fan. Some of the shit he came out at times with was horrific (being happy to make up the numbers every season & sacrificing his weekends to travel up and down the country spring to mind).

Glad the twat has gone. Not so glad he's still coming out with shit. 

Edited by SaintNewForest
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, saintstowin said:

He gets a fair bit of 5 live work now does Jones. Doesn't talk complete rubbish but I think he has too many thoughts racing around in his head. That and wanting to sound better than he is. 

I only went to one game with him in charge. The cup game (Blackpool I think). I guess he was under pressure by then, I was very near the dugout and I've never seen a manager so out of control of his own emotions, up and down screaming at the players and his staff. 

When I first heard him, he was very quick to make it crystal clear that he was ready, still relevant and keen to get back into management. To be fair to him, his sharper responses were to lazy questions and comments that suggested his, and managers his age, time was up. Which it may be, but not based on anything the commentators had any knowledge of. That would have been a few months back now. Just waiting for a team that wants that Luton magic, and are terrified of being relegated.

45 minutes ago, SaintNewForest said:

Semmens was a complete an utter tool who had no idea what it meant to be a fan. Some of the shit he came out at times with was horrific (being happy to make up the numbers every season & sacrificing his weekends to travel up and down the country spring to mind).

Glad the twat has gone. Not so glad he's still coming out with shit. 

Why is this bollocks being dredged up with Semmens ? You’re  history Semmens we are doing fine. Fuck off.

• Like 3

"Semmens concluded: "Where it went wrong for Nathan was that he said he was going to do this, and the players bought in, but he just did not get the results." 

Fuck me! Pay me a Premier League Manager salary for 3 months, I'll promise you the world, I'll get the players bought in as I'm good at selling workplace methodologies. But I won't get the results either. I'll be happy with 3 months salary and a pay off though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When Ward-Prowse stopped playing for the manager there wasn’t any saving Jones. The two passed up free kicks in shooting positions against Wolves. 

Also spare a thought for Semmens who probably got a nice pay day today, but he did have to take some time away from his family. 

Remember, as Saints fans we should have been grateful to have made up the numbers in the Premier League.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, The Kraken said:

"We did all the work and he was top five managers in Europe for improving teams, transitions and different things."

Are we sure that comment didn’t actually come from mad Nate?

I'd love to know what the 'different things' were.

Maybe he was top five in Europe for putting the bins out or ironing curtains?

Edited by Weston Super Saint
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I'd love to know what the 'different tings' were.

Maybe he was top five in Europe for putting the bins out or ironing curtains?

Chugging Monster Energy drinks and eating family packs of Frazzles, God willing...

• Haha 3

I wasn't  impressed with the Jones appointment,  and hoped to be proved wrong, but the absolute shambles of a non performance in the first game at home to Forest confirmed all my fears/prejudices. 

This was after a 6 week break where he had time to implement his ideas!  

As for all this talk of best stats for improving teams. There is a world of difference between league one players and a room full of Premier League egos. I have a freind who is brilliant with 2 stroke and old diesel engines, but I wouldn't let him near an F1 engine.

Also, some others have talked about the completely rotten culture at the club. This was clearly true and goes back a long way. Something clearly changed in between the away win at spurs and the stuffing at Villa a few weeks later. The players went from one of the best Pl away performances to not playing for the manager in less than a month. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, redkeith said:

I wasn't  impressed with the Jones appointment,  and hoped to be proved wrong, but the absolute shambles of a non performance in the first game at home to Forest confirmed all my fears/prejudices. 

As for all this talk of best stats for improving teams. There is a world of difference between league one players and a room full of Premier League egos. I have a freind who is brilliant with 2 stroke and old diesel engines, but I wouldn't let him near an F1 engine.

Also, some others have talked about the completely rotten culture at the club. This was clearly true and goes back a long way. Something clearly changed in between the away win at spurs and the stuffing at Villa a few weeks later. The players went from one of the best Pl away performances to not playing for the manager in less than a month. 

100% this.  Only a moron would blame the fans for not giving Jones a chance, he had 6 fucking weeks in the mid season break to turn things around, with a settled squad, with enough quality in it (I get that's debatable) to compete, fight and play for the club.  He did get some good results but then there was Forest, one of the lowest points of watching and supporting Saints, as poor a performance as I can remember.

With hindsight, I'm ok with the shit we observed last season.  When something is clearly broken and patching it up isn't working then you may as well destroy it and start again, both on and off the field. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

100% this.  Only a moron would blame the fans for not giving Jones a chance, he had 6 fucking weeks in the mid season break to turn things around, with a settled squad, with enough quality in it (I get that's debatable) to compete, fight and play for the club.  He did get some good results but then there was Forest, one of the lowest points of watching and supporting Saints, as poor a performance as I can remember.

With hindsight, I'm ok with the shit we observed last season.  When something is clearly broken and patching it up isn't working then you may as well destroy it and start again, both on and off the field. 

The mad, mad thing was, that when he did put in a truly great performance against Man City, in the cup (regardless of their performance and selection), he never selected that same line up again 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If one thing this season tells us it’s that managers need time, earlier in the season Martin looked to be going the same way, remember scar tissue and Lego head etc :) then suddenly it all clicked. 

Also jones had a much harder job as he had to try turn us around in the premiership not in the championship where we have one of the best squads . In a alternative world if he got brought in this season instead of last he might not have done so badly.

im In the minority that think we might as well have given him until the end of the season though . After backing him in the window sacking him for selles who didn’t even use the players we spent all January window of was even more pathetic then sticking by their guns imo 

27 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

im In the minority that think we might as well have given him until the end of the season though . After backing him in the window sacking him for selles who didn’t even use the players we spent all January window of was even more pathetic then sticking by their guns imo 

I'm personally very glad that didn't happen.  If we'd kept him I don't think we'd be enjoying the position we currently find ourselves in!

2 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I'm personally very glad that didn't happen.  If we'd kept him I don't think we'd be enjoying the position we currently find ourselves in!

Yeah I think at the end of the day the relegation will have been a good thing providing we go up this season ..

sometimes you just need a reset clear out some of the dead wood and get a winning mentality back 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Exactly. If he had stayed there was a chance that SR might have decided he would be decent in the Championship and kept him on.

The guy is a loon and was a total embarrassment to our club. Even if he'd managed to get a few good results if he hadn't been sacked when he was, there was no way he could repair the damage he had already done to his relationship with the fanbase. He had to go.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Clearly Marsch didn't believe he could do what Martin has done. 

What are you on about? 

Marsch didn’t take the job because he thought the top brass at the club weren’t pulling in the same direction. Had they been (as they are this season), he’d have taken the job. He was very clear about it, he wanted the job but pulled out because he felt there was a disconnect between different factions within senior management. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

He had weeks to prepare the team, I had made my mind up after the Brighton game where the difference between the teams was enormous and a 3-1 loss flattered us. Things only got worse from there.

He was out of his depth and the idiots who appointed him should stay away from future decision making at the club. Luckily for us we now have Jason Wilcox.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, redkeith said:

I will never understand what happened between the midweek cup win over West Ham where Ralph rotated a lot of first choice players, and the Saturday away hammering at Villa. It was a limited squad but they had been giving it their all, but at Villa they stopped tracking runners, the press dropped off a cliff. Rather than bouncing back from it, the sulkiness, slow, narrow shape and work ethic never recovered until relegation. Whether there was a dressing room bust-up where Ralph lost the squad and/or SR vs Semmens and Steele will maybe come out in the wash. The boardroom rift does seem to be true and Semmens was very cranky at the August 2022 fans forum. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Got to be taking the piss, hasn't he? 

Just some bitterness from a spiteful overblown tart I think.  Currently looking to drum up work.  Semmens never had a clue about football or being a football supporter, and any insight or the expertise that he did have is clearly waning.

• Like 3