Saints 1-2 Hull - Match Thread

trousers

Just now, Saint86 said:

Rothwell again in midfield ffs.

Just too many changes and tactically awful with no anchor in midfield. So disjointed and easy to play through. Martin needs to make serious changes second half.

I did wonder if he might make changes after half an hour as we looked so poor.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Scoobysaint said:

It almost needs five changes at half time they’ve been so bad. Could be Manning, Rothwell, Mara, Smallbone, Arma, Edozie. Take your pick. We need Brooks and Fraser on ASAP.

It needed two at 30min. and it was obvious. One of smallbone/rothwell off for an actual anchor man, and manning...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Assume everyone still wants Leeds to win on Friday?

Don't think it makes a blind bit of difference to be honest.  We are playoff bound, both Leeds and Ipswich will be in front of us. 

1 minute ago, Winnersaint said:

Rothwell doesn't do it for me. Either Stu or him not both. That said. I think we’re running on empty. 

Hull have had a day less rest than us...

Edited by Saint86

2 minutes ago, Scoobysaint said:

It almost needs five changes at half time they’ve been so bad. Could be Manning, Rothwell, Mara, Smallbone, Arma, Edozie. Take your pick. We need Brooks and Fraser on ASAP.

Can't really blame the front players. They're feeding off scraps from the utterly dreadful midfield.

It's not like we won't get play offs... I just really wanted autos as a guarantee of going up. Leeds are relentless, Leicester have the points and even Ipswich aren't going away. Play offs though is such a lottery and we've shown that we can be got at. It's not over yet but this last week has been an eye opener.

Well and truly outplayed. Where's Aribo? Where's Brooks? And why have we reverted back to the system that failed against Bristol? Without Downes, Stephens providing extra cover without the ball seemed the next best thing. We're getting ripped to shreds again tonight. We'll be playing this lot in the playoffs and I'm not looking forward to it.

Edited by Disco Stu

That was nothing short of embarrassing and it's all on RM's stupid midfield selection. He should have seen it was totally wrong and changed it after 20 minutes but now the damage is done. With zero bite or cover in midfield we have made them look like prime Man City while we are left chasing shadows. Don't think there's any way back into this because they are no mugs and have us well sussed.

• Like 1

Just now, badgerx16 said:

Are the HT boos justified tonight ?

For that performance, yes. That was worse than Huddersfield.

What on Earth does RM see in Rothwell? He's having an absolute shocker- surely he's got to sub him off at HT. 

• Like 2

Good god. Don’t understand why the fuck Martin is waiting until half time to sort that out, should have been done after 10 minutes. Rothwell and Smallbone are a disaster pair, A Armstrong and Mara pointless, and the less said about Manning, the better. 

Brooks has to start in this team and so does Adams. And when Downes is injured, Aribo. 

Edited by LGTL

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

I did wonder if he might make changes after half an hour as we looked so poor.

Ditto chez. As far as i can tell he did absolutely nothing before they eventually scored No.2. Really worrying. Maybe he thought we could hold on till half time and he could give them a proper reset, but i was also thinking we absolutely had to drag off manning for stelphens and rothwell/smallbone for Charles at 30min... was so obvious.

Edited by Saint86

Feel sorry for rothwell, he's more of a S Armstrong not a Downes but is trying to do a job and the risks that he and Stu take up the pitch dont work when your running at your own goal.

S Armtrong/Smallbone and Rothwell is 3 attack minded players playing at defending, they are basically doing a manning.

Too many players not being "brave" and passing it back to gav all the time, bascially its ping pong and doesnt get to the forwards at all.

KWP the 1 man outball we have.

Hull playing very well

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Hull - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic