Saints 1-2 Hull - Match Thread

trousers

The games keep coming thick and fast... this is our postponed game in hand.

Aribo has (re)earned a starting place IMO. Assume Downes, Adams and Bree will be available for selection again too. 

So, back to our best/strongest starting 11...? (I still think Brooks should be held back as a game-changer impact sub for the time being) 

Bazunu

KWP - THB - Bednarek - Stephens/Bree

Aribo - Downes - S.Armstrong

A.Armstrong - Adams - Fraser

Subs: Lumley, Manning/Stephens/Bree, Smallbone/Charles, Rothwell, Edozie, Brooks, Kamaldeen/Amo-Ameyaw, Mara/Dibbling

(With Aribo, Downes, Adams and Bree back, there are going to be several disappointed squad regulars that don't even make the bench for this game!)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

Thank fuck for the win tonight, looking forward to the next 2 now and having a proper go at home with a few players back 

so many of the forwards  look confident, and ridiculous competition for places. 

LB is the worry, Stephens did ok but can’t be trusted there for too long, but then neither can Manning sadly and I’d be surprised if Martin sticks Bree straight back in after a long time out.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, trousers said:

The games keep coming thick and fast... this is our postponed game in hand.

Aribo has (re)earned a starting place IMO. Assume Downes, Adams and Bree will be available for selection again too. 

So, back to our best/strongest starting 11...? (I still think Brooks should be held back as a game-changer impact sub for the time being) 

Bazunu

KWP - THB - Bednarek - Stephens/Bree

Aribo - Downes - S.Armstrong

A.Armstrong - Adams - Fraser

Subs: Lumley, Manning/Stephens/Bree, Smallbone/Charles, Rothwell, Edozie, Brooks, Kamaldeen/Amo-Ameyaw, Mara/Dibbling

(With Aribo, Downes, Adams and Bree back, there are going to be several disappointed squad regulars that don't even make the bench for this game!)

After hearing RM's comments on Smallbone after the game I think he'll be starting on Tuesday.

8 hours ago, Mixedkebab said:

LB is the worry, Stephens did ok but can’t be trusted there for too long, but then neither can Manning sadly and I’d be surprised if Martin sticks Bree straight back in after a long time out.

Stephens gave them too much space on that wing by being too narrow in the first half, but was much improved in the second and defensively much better than Manning has ever been. 

I wouldn't be rushing Bree back into the team just yet after a long injury layoff. There's stiltons of games left and wheel need to reintegrate him more caerphilly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

I’d like to see Mara start at home after a decent performance last night. 

Bazunu 

KWP THB Bednarek Stephens

Smallbone Downes Stu

Armstrong Mara Fraser 

Subs: Lumley, Bree, Manning/Charles, Rothwell, Aribo, Brooks, Edozie, Sulemana, Adams 

What a ridiculous squad we have.

Edited by beavis17
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, beavis17 said:

I’d like to see Mara start at home after a decent performance last night. 

Bazunu 

KWP THB Bednarek Stephens

Smallbone Downes Stu

Armstrong Mara Fraser 

Subs: Lumley, Bree, Manning/Charles, Rothwell, Aribo, Brooks, Edozie, Sulemana, Adams 

What a ridiculous squad we have.

I agree about Mara 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Its hard to look good when you constantly get marked and man handled by 3 players all night.

Indeed. He maybe didn't hold the ball up as well as some would like, but he showed some good movement and touches, and was involved in a lot of our good attacking play during that first 30 mins. I'd be inclined to stick with him.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Indeed. He maybe didn't hold the ball up as well as some would like, but he showed some good movement and touches, and was involved in a lot of our good attacking play during that first 30 mins. I'd be inclined to stick with him.

Considering Kipre and Peiters were practicing playing American football with him I thought he used his strength to good affect.

That bulldoze moment in the second half just proved that the referee just didn't care about all the heavy contact.

4 of our next 6 at home where we look invincible. Hull are a decent team with a good manager though so won’t be easy. Think we’ll win by a single goal, 2-1.  Our game in hand over Leeds so need to win it

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Another banana skin as they’re another bunch of cloggers who’ll try to foul us into submission. Same team with perhaps the strength of Che up front. 3-1 Saints.

Are they? Haven’t watched much of them but what I’ve heard is they try and play possession football similar to us?

• Like 1

4 out of our next 5 league games are at home and the away game is Birmingham. We should be targetting 15 points from those 5.

Having said that, Hull are a decent team but we've blown away better teams than them this season at St Mary's and having got the defeat out of our system I back us to go on another decent winning run.

Edited by Pamplemousse
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Another banana skin as they’re another bunch of cloggers who’ll try to foul us into submission. Same team with perhaps the strength of Che up front. 3-1 Saints.

I think you're confusing Hull to another team?

They play football, pass and move, use the width, have tricky and talented wide players. The polar opposite of cloggers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Not sure you have watched hull this season. Not even once

We're back on the tracks now, ladies and gents. It's time to settle back, crack open a cold one and enjoy the fucking ride.

Ice-cold brilliance is flowing through the players' veins now.

3-0 Saints. Easy as you like.

Back up into second place.

I think our best side currently is:

Baz

KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning 

Aribo, Downes, Armstrong (S]

Brooks, Armstrong (A), Fraser 

As others have said, this is getting increasingly difficult as Manning gives us more balance going forward but is suspect defensively, Smallbone v Aribo is a marginal call, and I prefer Adam Armstrong to be down the right but can’t bring myself to not start Brooks or Fraser.  Nice problems to have.

So you end up with an insanely good bench (for the championship) that includes Stephens, Smallbone, Rothwell, Adams, Kamaldeen, Edozie and others.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

4 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Are they? Haven’t watched much of them but what I’ve heard is they try and play possession football similar to us?

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I think you're confusing Hull to another team?

They play football, pass and move, use the width, have tricky and talented wide players. The polar opposite of cloggers.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Some don’t do irony I see. 😉  Hull City…the centre of football genius…yeah, they’ll outplay us…no doubt.

This is a huge game, feels like a ‘must win’. Ipswich will win at home to Rotherham, so will join Leeds on 69 points. We need to kick on and take second place back under control. This is a tough game against a talented footballing side. They have a few players that can hurt us but if we play well we should have enough to get the job done. I’m a little nervous despite the 11 home wins on the bounce.

Let’s be honest, Hull City shouldn’t even be on the same pitch as us.  Those cunts should be grateful they’re escaping from the arsehole of the world for the night.  I wouldn’t even send my mother-in-law there and she’s a fucking grade A ratbag.

Comfortable 3-0 win.  Tigers - we shit ‘em.

• Like 1
  • Haha 27

16 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

This is a huge game, feels like a ‘must win’. Ipswich will win at home to Rotherham, so will join Leeds on 69 points. We need to kick on and take second place back under control. This is a tough game against a talented footballing side. They have a few players that can hurt us but if we play well we should have enough to get the job done. I’m a little nervous despite the 11 home wins on the bounce.

Think every game is must win now.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

You need a shot of confidence. Have faith, man. The lads will do the fucking job on Tuesday. Put money on it.

• Like 1

It was certainly a hard game up there earlier in the season,  hopefully they had a tough game at Huddersfield today and won't fancy a trip down south on Tuesday.

Going to be a smaller crowd by this seasons standards, few hundred away fans, block 43 now open for home fans but plenty availability all around the ground. 

9 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

You clearly haven’t watched Hull this season…

5 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Let’s be honest, Hull City shouldn’t even be on the same pitch as us.  Those cunts should be grateful they’re escaping from the arsehole of the world for the night.  I wouldn’t even send my mother-in-law there and she’s a fucking grade A ratbag.

I know which pub a big group of Hull fans are drinking in on Tuesday: I'll let you know which so you can come and give them your opinion in person. 🙂

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

I know which pub a big group of Hull fans are drinking in on Tuesday: I'll let you know which so you can come and give them your opinion in person. 🙂

Exactly

If these comments and those about Huddersfield were being made  about those of a different ethnicity all hell would be let loose. I assume some latitude is being allowed by the moderators because this poster (Wade) is somehow challenged. If so some serious counselling is needed and these posts need moderation. I live in Yorkshire now after several happy times at the Dell watching great teams. I've worked in both Huddersfield and Hull and none of the comments made are accurate or funny. And they sure ain't Saintly. This isn't a sense of humour failure...there's no humour in this poison.

• Haha 10

10 minutes ago, CougarSaint said:

Exactly

If these comments and those about Huddersfield were being made  about those of a different ethnicity all hell would be let loose. I assume some latitude is being allowed by the moderators because this poster (Wade) is somehow challenged. If so some serious counselling is needed and these posts need moderation. I live in Yorkshire now after several happy times at the Dell watching great teams. I've worked in both Huddersfield and Hull and none of the comments made are accurate or funny. And they sure ain't Saintly. This isn't a sense of humour failure...there's no humour in this poison.

I politely disagree.

6 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

I’d drive mine there myself 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, CougarSaint said:

Well argued. Thanks.

What do you disagree with?

I find Wade's posts to be entirely satirical and, as not targeted specifically at an individual, ethnic group, religious belief or believer, gender or sex, harmless.

Edited by sfc4prem
In anticipation of an academic lampooning as part of this discourse surrounding perceived discrimination
  • Like 9

35 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Tell them the DEF are on their way down and see what happens to your big group of hull fans…….

1 minute ago, CougarSaint said:

Well argued. Thanks.

What do you disagree with?

I'd wager that if you put it to a vote, Wade's jokey contributions to pre match threads would be infinitely preferred by the majority on here than your reactions to his posts. Maybe this just isn't your audience. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, CougarSaint said:

Exactly

Feed your whippet your barmcake and chill the fuck out.

Hull City? East Riding of Yorkshire? Bloody good hiding is what they’ll be getting on Tuesday.

By the time we've finished with them, every player in the Hull City squad will feel that they've had one of those stupid white phone boxes shoved right up their arse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Hull - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic