Saints 1-2 Hull - Match Thread

trousers

Good side Hull and one I tipped for the play offs at the start of the season. They have suffered from inconsistency, but seem to be getting it together a bit more. Their away record is pretty good with 8 wins already, only one less than us. But you can see the inconsistency by the fact they lose almost as many and draw very few. Unthinkable that we do not win this one so I don't feel like many any predictions as with Bristol City, we have seen what can happen if we drop the ball and the other team are up for it.

Hull's away form.

16 8 2 6 24 25 -1

I actually think we will scrape a win on this one (sod it I'll stick my neck out) by an odd goal, maybe a tight 2-1. Have to win, absolutely have to.

Another win would hopefully finally shut up this nonsense line that Leeds fans are coming out with about us not winning many games against the top 8...then pointing out how many games against the top 8 we still have to play. Can't win the games if we haven't played them! 

23 hours ago, The Cat said:

Still not convinced he meant that. Reckon it was a cross that happened to go in.

You are aware that that was a rabone? Presumably to get it to curl towards the goal.

If you zoom in close the technique is ridiculous

Edited by Patches O Houlihan

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Another win would hopefully finally shut up this nonsense line that Leeds fans are coming out with about us not winning many games against the top 8...then pointing out how many games against the top 8 we still have to play. Can't win the games if we haven't played them! 

Well, we beat them to easily enough

Obviously a must win and if we play as well as we did on Friday we will win.

WBA seem to be a more accomplished and resolute side than Hull yet we completely dismantled them step by step. I realise form doesn't always work out that way as we saw with Bristol City yesterday but our performance at The Hawthorns must give real encouragement to our lads that they can overcome Hull in much the same way - and they will be at home.

My bet is 3-0 to Saints and a blissfully happy evening out for 30k Sotonians.

8 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

They do realise that most of the top 8 are below us and they will be too if we see off the Tigers on Tuesday evening. We can only beat teams below us!

On 17/02/2024 at 18:24, AlexLaw76 said:

Baz

KwP, THB, Bed, Not manning

Downes, Aribo, Armstrong

Armstrong, Adams, Fraser

Is Brooks ready for a start? I also thought Mara did more than enough on Friday to justify another start ahead of Che. The one thing Che does ok is hold the ball up, but Mara did a good job of that on Friday despite being closely marked and he's got an eye on goal.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Is Brooks ready for a start? I also thought Mara did more than enough on Friday to justify another start ahead of Che. The one thing Che does ok is hold the ball up, but Mara did a good job of that on Friday despite being closely marked and he's got an eye on goal.

Agreed on Mara, no reason to drop him after his performance on Friday. 

• Like 2

This game along with Coventry,Middlesborough, Sunderland,Preston and Watford are all potential banana skins,winning all 5 will not be easy at all.Hull are a good side who are beatable like the others if we approach the game properly and take our chances. 2 - 1 to Saints. An after thought they won at Leicester and on saturday scored early and very late at Huddersfield,so we need to be at it 90  plus minutes.

• Like 1

I think we'll win.

On a side note, have you seen how shit Leeds and Leicester are?  Leicester's defending is awful and Leeds general play is hoof ball.

I've no idea how they've got the points they have.

45 minutes ago, Draino76 said:

I think we'll win.

On a side note, have you seen how shit Leeds and Leicester are?  Leicester's defending is awful and Leeds general play is hoof ball.

I've no idea how they've got the points they have.

Match winners... Their forwards are brilliant. The games were weve drawn, they've had enough quality in the final 3rd to win games. 

• Like 1

Really nervous about this one. Hull have real quality throughout their squad, especially in the final 3rd. 

We'll need to play well to beat these but our record at home is good, so you'd hope / expect us to get the result.. But it wont be easy. 

I think it'll be a score draw. 

Edited by Dman

My favourite visualisation of where teams get points from.

Hull have 5 points from 24 from games against the top 7. admittedly 3 of those 5 are from Leicester on 2nd September, the first game after the Summer Transfer window closed.

image.png.8159ededbe2eb180df2bfec309a33ac2.png

• Like 1

Tricky game, toughest home game in ages. Hull are actually far better away than they are at home and have won their last 3 away in the league (although against ‘uddersfield, Rotherham and out of form Sunderland)

We’ll need to be better than we were in our last home game 

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Really nervous about this one. Hull have real quality throughout their squad, especially in the final 3rd. 

We'll need to play well to beat these but our record at home is good, so you'd hope / expect us to get the result.. But it wont be easy. 

I think it'll be a score draw. 

Tend to agree. Our last home match was a dire first half against a team this lot just beat away. Any repeat - or the Bristol not turn up and That may let hull score a few and 5 goal second half miracles are not a weekly thing we can rely on. 

Prefer straightforward win put to bed by massive first half but more likely, If anything, getting to HT NOT losing and then see what our better 5 subs can do against them in second half is what I think is most likely path to victory. 

• Like 1

Would not be surprised if a few of our most hard running players get a bench rest for this one- Will, Stu and AA. That might mean return of Downes, Brooks and Che. Or Rothwell, Aribo, Shea or Sam take your pick…

What to do about LB though? 

Edited by gio1saints

39 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Would not be surprised if a few of our most hard running players get a bench rest for this one- Will, Stu and AA. That might mean return of Downes, Brooks and Che. Or Rothwell, Aribo, Shea or Sam take your pick…

What to do about LB though? 

This is not the game you rest your best players, and Stu and AA are certainly two of those this season.

Millwall maybe, but not Hull. We need our best first 11 available and playing tomorrow.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 7

On 17/02/2024 at 17:50, Wade Garrett said:

Let’s be honest, Hull City shouldn’t even be on the same pitch as us.  Those cunts should be grateful they’re escaping from the arsehole of the world for the night.  I wouldn’t even send my mother-in-law there and she’s a fucking grade A ratbag.

Comfortable 3-0 win.  Tigers - we shit ‘em.

Early front runner for post of the year!

• Haha 2

Not again! 

Flashing Lights

There'll be a light and pyro show in the stadium ahead of kick-off (at about 7:50pm), as a heads up to fans affected by flashing lights.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Tend to agree. Our last home match was a dire first half against a team this lot just beat away. Any repeat - or the Bristol not turn up and That may let hull score a few and 5 goal second half miracles are not a weekly thing we can rely on. 

Prefer straightforward win put to bed by massive first half but more likely, If anything, getting to HT NOT losing and then see what our better 5 subs can do against them in second half is what I think is most likely path to victory. 

Agreed, another first half like Huddersfield and we'll be in trouble. 

On 17/02/2024 at 17:50, Wade Garrett said:

Let’s be honest, Hull City shouldn’t even be on the same pitch as us.  Those cunts should be grateful they’re escaping from the arsehole of the world for the night.  I wouldn’t even send my mother-in-law there and she’s a fucking grade A ratbag.

Comfortable 3-0 win.  Tigers - we shit ‘em.

Eloquent, but what do you really think? 😉🤣

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dman said:

Match winners... Their forwards are brilliant. The games were weve drawn, they've had enough quality in the final 3rd to win games. 

Where were their match winners when they played West Brom away?

Leeds also lost at Preston and drew at Rotherham. They way you talk about them I'd expect to look at the table and see us 6 points behind them.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JRM said:

Not again! 

Flashing Lights

There'll be a light and pyro show in the stadium ahead of kick-off (at about 7:50pm), as a heads up to fans affected by flashing lights.

7:50? Are we planning on blinding the Hull players after 5 minutes? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trousers said:

RM: "Adams is defintely back for this. Flynn might be ready for tomorrow but we won't take any risks. Bree is very close" (paraphrasing)

More players available and match fit the better. 

Injuries depending, I'd be looking at as close to the below as possible:

Bazunu; KWP TBH Bednarek Manning; Downes Smallbone Armstrong; Fraser Mara Armstrong 

Potentially Charles in for Downes if need be, or Edozie in for Fraser.

Nice to have option off the bench.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

RM: "Adams is defintely back for this. Flynn might be ready for tomorrow but we won't take any risks. Bree is very close" (paraphrasing)

why does he call Adams and Bree by their surname but Downes by his first name? Favouritism in the camp?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

More players available and match fit the better. 

Injuries depending, I'd be looking at as close to the below as possible:

Bazunu; KWP TBH Bednarek Manning; Downes Smallbone Armstrong; Fraser Mara Armstrong 

Potentially Charles in for Downes if need be, or Edozie in for Fraser.

Nice to have option off the bench.

I wonder if he might start Brooks tomorrow, Armstrong, Mara and Brooks up top.

5 hours ago, JRM said:

Not again! 

Flashing Lights

Will there be any tobacco use outside the ground? 

27 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

I’m currently in South Africa, can anyone confirm if I can get a video pass for this match ?

Not sure about from saints, but hull are offering a pass for £10. You can even watch their next game after that.

13 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Everyone know what the score of this will be already.

It'll be Southampton 0 Hull 4, of course. Hopefully i'll make it for happy hour and still see the flag day, though i might be anxious.

It'll be Five. Get over-excited.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Hull - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic