Saints 1-2 Hull - Match Thread

trousers

Hull presser....

• Che is back for the game, Flynn is a decision. Maybe back for hull, maybe Sat.
  • Nice to have Che back. Breezy is very very close
  • Squad is looking good and we are in a good place
  • I enjoyed the WBA performance so much, I enjoyed the energy
  • Training the next day was really enjoyable, they knew they played really well against WBA
  • It was good after the disappointment at Bristol
  • We discussed a lot about Tuesday, and the lads really delivered
  • I had some time with the kids at the weekend, but that is the job
  • It is relentless but it is our job. 
  • The players have handled everything brilliantly
  • Hull is a different test and we have worked on a few things and hope it comes off
  • All we can ever ask is the players learn from the previous game
  • we stressed some key points from Bristol and the 2 young men (Shea and Will S) are doing really well
  • Shea from Tuesday to Friday was great for him. I have so much admiration for Will.
  • He is a brilliant young man, a brilliant learner. The club should be incredibly proud of Will
  • So many people outside do not realise what he brings, the players really respect him
  • Jack Stephen came in at one of the toughest tests, played out of position and he was immense
  • He really helped the team, and we know he has been frustrated with not playing but these are good problems
  • The hardest thing right now to leave people out as they are all good enough to play
  • we are honest with them, they understand that it is about the game, but the sub are really important to us
  • Many of them do not like not playing, but they are really supportive to the team
  • Hull have recruited really well and are growing
  • They do not change much to their approach, their manager has done a great job, and have a clear way ahead
  • Big credit to them, they are a good team. They caused us problems at theirs, and have improved since
  • We are 2 teams that wont change much for who we play, but this is a different game
  • We are at home, the energy is amazing, so many people I know just love coming
  • We must impose ourselves on hull, we just did not do that at all at Bristol
  • to get promoted we need to be good away and at home. We are aware everyone turns up looking forward to a home game
  • Our crows is so strong and really important, but it is on us to maintain the results.
  • To continue, we must run more, fight more. We just never did that at Bristol
  • Supporter believe in us. There will be scary moments, but it is great that fans have stuck with us on the whole
  • Celebrating with the fans at the end of the game is not something at the forefront, I hope to do it more and more
  • I really appreciate the support I and we get, I will never take it for granted, but it is not about me, it is about the players
  • Tony Mowbray is someone I really respect, he speaks to me really well and his brother his here
  • The job he has done over the years is just great, and we all really respect him and really hope he can recover quickly and get back to work
  • All of our thoughts are with him and his family, and hope to see him healthy on the touchline soon
  • The team selected has to be about winning against who ever we are playing.
  • it is so tough, leaving some of our players out is tough, I trust them all. But it is my job and just have to be honest
  • Hull will be different to Millwall, it is just what the team needs
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Got the same feeling as I did with Bristol game 😔

Come on mate, just make a conscious effort to be positive. You can't impact the team, but your anxiety and fear about the game is certainly impacting your early evening. The game hasn'ae even started yet!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Hull presser....

• Che is back for the game, Flynn is a decision. Maybe back for hull, maybe Sat.
  • Nice to have Che back. Breezy is very very close
  • Squad is looking good and we are in a good place
  • I enjoyed the WBA performance so much, I enjoyed the energy
  • Training the next day was really enjoyable, they knew they played really well against WBA
  • It was good after the disappointment at Bristol
  • We discussed a lot about Tuesday, and the lads really delivered
  • I had some time with the kids at the weekend, but that is the job
  • It is relentless but it is our job. 
  • The players have handled everything brilliantly
  • Hull is a different test and we have worked on a few things and hope it comes off
  • All we can ever ask is the players learn from the previous game
  • we stressed some key points from Bristol and the 2 young men (Shea and Will S) are doing really well
  • Shea from Tuesday to Friday was great for him. I have so much admiration for Will.
  • He is a brilliant young man, a brilliant learner. The club should be incredibly proud of Will
  • So many people outside do not realise what he brings, the players really respect him
  • Jack Stephen came in at one of the toughest tests, played out of position and he was immense
  • He really helped the team, and we know he has been frustrated with not playing but these are good problems
  • The hardest thing right now to leave people out as they are all good enough to play
  • we are honest with them, they understand that it is about the game, but the sub are really important to us
  • Many of them do not like not playing, but they are really supportive to the team
  • Hull have recruited really well and are growing
  • They do not change much to their approach, their manager has done a great job, and have a clear way ahead
  • Big credit to them, they are a good team. They caused us problems at theirs, and have improved since
  • We are 2 teams that wont change much for who we play, but this is a different game
  • We are at home, the energy is amazing, so many people I know just love coming
  • We must impose ourselves on hull, we just did not do that at all at Bristol
  • to get promoted we need to be good away and at home. We are aware everyone turns up looking forward to a home game
  • Our crows is so strong and really important, but it is on us to maintain the results.
  • To continue, we must run more, fight more. We just never did that at Bristol
  • Supporter believe in us. There will be scary moments, but it is great that fans have stuck with us on the whole
  • Celebrating with the fans at the end of the game is not something at the forefront, I hope to do it more and more
  • I really appreciate the support I and we get, I will never take it for granted, but it is not about me, it is about the players
  • Tony Mowbray is someone I really respect, he speaks to me really well and his brother his here
  • The job he has done over the years is just great, and we all really respect him and really hope he can recover quickly and get back to work
  • All of our thoughts are with him and his family, and hope to see him healthy on the touchline soon
  • The team selected has to be about winning against who ever we are playing.
  • it is so tough, leaving some of our players out is tough, I trust them all. But it is my job and just have to be honest
  • Hull will be different to Millwall, it is just what the team needs

2nd part up now

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/video/press-conference-part-two-martin-looks-to-hull-city

10 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

We've missed a trick if we don't fucking sing about this as we go 3-0 up.

HE'S GOT A GOLD BAR, ON HIS HEAD, HE'S GOT A GOLD BAR, ON HIS HEAD, HE'S GOT A GOLD BAR, ON HIS HEAD, AND A DIGESTIVE IN HIS MOUTH

Beats the Mars Bar kid.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

https://www.not606.com/threads/southampton-v-hull-city.411305/page-4

Unlike Huddersfield fans, seems like Hull fans can take a joke. Apart from the one at the bottom who says he hates southerners.

Reading further down it seems the Rotherham keeper played a blinder against them too. We need to get him on the bus!

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

I’m wearing my lucky Saints sweatshirt for this one.
Because of my poor memory I cannot remember if I’ve ever seen a defeat in it this season-  but I’m not going to let a detail like that get in the way so am going to take a gamble and suggest it strongly to the world that it is indeed a lucky charm.
In doing so I encourage the Universe to manifest Saints victory tonight and respectfully ask it it to take into consideration the vibes of winning luck that emanate from the #sweatshirt-that-has-never-failed. 😇😁

That should do it. Might be cold so an extra sweater in order tonight too. 

much like your posts on this forum your choice of sweatshirt will have a direct impact on the result tonight, choose wisely Rosa.

Look at most of the league's central midfielders in their starting XIs. Not many would turn their nose up at what we've fielded tonight in the middle of the pitch.

More than enough to win this match.

Come on lads!

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Just realised Fraser has been dropped for Edozie, perhaps a bit of fatigue and minor injuries starting to accumulate?. Very strong bench though.

I think it's just rotation to keep them both as fresh as possible.

No harm having Edozie running them ragged down the wing and just when they're tiring bring Fraser on for more of the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Look at most of the league's central midfielders in their starting XIs. Not many would turn their nose up at what we've fielded tonight in the middle of the pitch.

More than enough to win this match.

Come on lads!

I agree, Smallbone, Rothwell and Stu Armstrong are all good individual players. However, it is how they knit together and form an effective midfield that counts. We'll soon see.

9 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Don’t like the midfield.

Yep. No defensive element at all. On the hand, 3 players to drive forward with the ball. There'll be plenty of goals in this I reckon. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. No defensive element at all. On the hand, 3 players to drive forward with the ball. There'll be plenty of goals in this I reckon. 

Agree with you. I don't see the logic in not starting a game with one of Downes or Charles if one is fit. Can always shift to more attacking if required as the game progresses. 

• Like 2

Seems we've gone from having a settled line up, to an almost random one.

Not that that's a disaster, it's just harder for us fans to try and predict what's going to happen. 

Adam Armstrong could do with a good game tonight, he's been a bit off the last couple of games.

27 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Don’t like the midfield.

Agreed, weak and offers very little protection to the defence, not a fan of the changes. Hull will get a lot of joy running straight through at our defenders , Martin hasn't learnt from the Huddersfield game , we won't be keeping a clean sheet 

• Like 1

Hmmm. Not convinced by that line up at all, especially the midfield where I expected to see at least one of Charles and Aribo with Downes still out.

We should be able to do some damage going forward but worried we will be too open in midfield.

• Like 1

As others have said, I don't like the midfield, it's an accident waiting to happen. Teachers' pet and hopeless defender Manning shoe horned (ironically) in place of Stephens, and also no Shea. I have a horrible feeling the first half it'll be like Huddersfield, and by the time RM fixes it with subs it may too late this time.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Hull - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic