Saints 1-2 Hull - Match Thread

trousers

16 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

Everyone know what the score of this will be already.

It'll be Southampton 0 Hull 4, of course. Hopefully i'll make it for happy hour and still see the flag day, though i might be anxious.

think for a minute. You’re being a sheep. Any sort of a result against Hull, now that’s what I call quite good. 

• Like 5

I like the transfer dealings Hull have been doing this last year, their results have sometimes been a bit inconsistent but I still think they have a good shout of getting play offs.

Tough game though. Home advantage so we should win but that BC result still lives in my head. I'd be delighted with the odd goal victory. 2-1 Saints, same as the away fixture when Fraser won it late.

• Like 1

Looking forward to this. Will try to tune in from Bangkok. Guessing a paid iFollow is my best bet.

Surely we'll step up and cook them a new one?

(Is 'cooking the Championship ' still a thing?)

18 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Baz

kwp.       Thb. Bed.     Stephens

Downes/arribo. Will

Brooks

arma.           Mara.       Fraser  

Che instead of Mara IMO. Mara is only any good when he comes off the bench and the game has been won.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Che instead of Mara IMO. Mara is only any good when he comes off the bench and the game has been won.

Yeah, Mara was really shit when he came off the bench against Huddersfield with the score at 3-3, he should've provided so much more than a goal and an assist.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I’d stick with Mara with the hope his ceiling could be higher ..he’s still never really had a run of starts .. getting used to playing week in week out with the team could do wonders for his confidence and ability to gel with team mates. 

With che we have seen him week in week out for years and know exactly what you get and what you don’t 

mara at the moment as a squad player is kind of in the position where if he comes off the bench or has a start and doesn’t score or have a lot of impact he’s instantly seen as not good enough again for him to reach his potential he needs game time 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Yeah, Mara was really shit when he came off the bench against Huddersfield with the score at 3-3, he should've provided so much more than a goal and an assist.

Came off the bench to do it. I've yet to see him start and not be the worst player on the pitch. Though he took his goal well, you aren't using that "assist" to his credit are you? Was that the one where he picked it up in front of the goal, dilly-dallied with it until Edozie was forced to take it off him?

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Against West Brom?! You can't be serious. He was utterly dreadful and totally out of his depth.

He was neither dreadful nor out of his depth. In reality he did quite well without looking overly threatening to their goal. Mara needs games to sharpen his understanding of his role and to build a rapport with his team mates. It's a tricky situation because every game is crucial now so it will be interesting to see how RM handles the situation. I think he'll be given another start tonight and asked to give it a real go with Adams waiting on the bench as and when needed. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, saintant said:

He was neither dreadful nor out of his depth. In reality he did quite well without looking overly threatening to their goal. Mara needs games to sharpen his understanding of his role and to build a rapport with his team mates. It's a tricky situation because every game is crucial now so it will be interesting to see how RM handles the situation. I think he'll be given another start tonight and asked to give it a real go with Adams waiting on the bench as and when needed. 

I respectfully disagree.

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I respectfully disagree.

As you are perfectly entitled to do - it's all about opinions and perception at the end of the day. I didn't think Mara was perfect against West Brom and would certainly like to see him become a bit more aggressive and harder to knock off the ball but the signs are there that he has something about him. Maybe he'll be a slow burner and there is much more to come.

11 minutes ago, saintant said:

As you are perfectly entitled to do - it's all about opinions and perception at the end of the day. I didn't think Mara was perfect against West Brom and would certainly like to see him become a bit more aggressive and harder to knock off the ball but the signs are there that he has something about him. Maybe he'll be a slow burner and there is much more to come.

I would love that to be the case.

Fabio Carvalho and the brilliant Philogene in behind Billy Sharp(!) or Liam Delap for Hull, with academy graduate Alfie Jones at the back.

Lots of interesting players in their side. Tough game but we have to win with the standard Leeds are also setting at the moment. In a perfect week we'd be able to go 4 clear of Leeds by beating Millwall on Saturday, with them losing to Leicester the night before.

Che vs Mara is a toss-up for me personally, both have their merits.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Came off the bench to do it. I've yet to see him start and not be the worst player on the pitch. Though he took his goal well, you aren't using that "assist" to his credit are you? Was that the one where he picked it up in front of the goal, dilly-dallied with it until Edozie was forced to take it off him?

I know we’re all entitled to an opinion but fuck me we couldn’t be seeing things more differently if we tried. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Held off 2 defenders then set edozie up you mean. Edozie in no way “took if off him”

• Like 2

I suspect you've missed the glaring point that whilst he came off the bench to do it, the game wasn't "already won" which was your claim about him ever being 'good'.

• Like 2

I’m wearing my lucky Saints sweatshirt for this one.
Because of my poor memory I cannot remember if I’ve ever seen a defeat in it this season-  but I’m not going to let a detail like that get in the way so am going to take a gamble and suggest it strongly to the world that it is indeed a lucky charm.
In doing so I encourage the Universe to manifest Saints victory tonight and respectfully ask it it to take into consideration the vibes of winning luck that emanate from the #sweatshirt-that-has-never-failed. 😇😁

That should do it. Might be cold so an extra sweater in order tonight too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Bringing my daughter tonight. She's been loads of times before but has never seen Saints win...

I’m a single dad with daughter so I sympathise ………….dont take her. Leave her outside nearest pub with a bag of crisps.

Edited by manji
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Fabio Carvalho and the brilliant Philogene in behind Billy Sharp(!) or Liam Delap for Hull, with academy graduate Alfie Jones at the back.

Lots of interesting players in their side. Tough game but we have to win with the standard Leeds are also setting at the moment. In a perfect week we'd be able to go 4 clear of Leeds by beating Millwall on Saturday, with them losing to Leicester the night before.

Che vs Mara is a toss-up for me personally, both have their merits.

Liam Delap. How much were we trying to pay for him - was it £20m? 

49 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I see Ipswich have a pretty straightforward home tie vs Rotherham tonight. At least if we both win we can pile a chunk of pressure on Leeds ahead of Friday.

you mean Leicester, right? RIGHT?

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Hull - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic