Liverpool 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

Annoying because we have far less chance of giving a good account. I can see the reasons why without agreeing. And those front 3 are so unpredictable (and young - and I'm sure we'll get equal mention of that topic), Not a lot of composure up top tonight. Let's see!

If we win, I'm getting a tattoo of Russ Martin on my butt.

Liverpool have named a weaker team but I still doubt our strongest team would have beaten them anyway. Let's see what the back up boys can do. Good to see Bree back. Sulemana's last good game was against this lot so fingers crossed for another! 

Concentrate on the League eh... 😝

8 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

The Liverpool selection is insulting to Southampton football club. Just saying.

I think it's even more insulting to Liverpool that we have put out a weakened side with 8 changes thinking that it's enough to beat a weakened Liverpool side.

10 minutes ago, saint lard said:

When I was a nipper the FA cup was held in such regard, so special and prestigious. 
no one cares anymore

its so devalued as a competition. It’s more of a pain in the arse nowadays. 
id be pretty pissed if I’d travelled and that starting 11 was presented to me.

Same. The fact that the 5th round is now held midweek is an abomination in itself

Back to the match and having seen the line up I’d like to update my 5 or 6 nil loss prediction to 7-1. Mara vs Van Dijk is going to be laughable, as is watching super Ryan Manning play his usual game.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

To be honest it looks like we are playing on the counter a little with pace upfront.

The defence seriously worries me though. Stephens, Manning and Bree (who I like) but he hasn't played for 2 months.

I have a theory. We only have 3 CBs, and Charles was always going to play in midfield. If we play Harwood Bellis they will make their mind up to sign him tonight and we'll have the whole Van Dyke saga to relive all over again...

Edited by Patches O Houlihan

It’s taken a whole section on ITV and nothing about Saints, but hang on we might get a bit of mention after the ad break. It’ll probably focus on VVD’s spell at the club.

Don’t give a shit about the team sheet…they’re all Saints players and should be able to show they’re worthy of playing in this game. We were going to get stuffed anyway, so it really doesn’t matter. Anyone who thinks we stood a chance has no clue whatsoever about the gulf in class in the squads.

If we walk away with a goal or two and concede less than 7 then we’re doing ok. COYR!

I reckon we'll go 2-0 up before half time.  We'll play without fear because, hey, we've alredy lost.

Klop will then throw everyone on he can and it'll be 5-3 win to them.

But whatever happens:

Liverpool win - Look how great Liverpool are

Liverpool lose - Look how poor Liverpool were 

Well, it'll be nice whilst it lasted.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Liverpool v Saints - Match Thread
5 minutes ago, Secret Site Agent said:

I reckon we'll go 2-0 up before half time.  We'll play without fear because, hey, we've alredy lost.

Klop will then throw everyone on he can and it'll be 5-3 win to them.

But whatever happens:

Liverpool win - Look how great Liverpool are

Liverpool lose - Look how poor Liverpool were 

Well, it'll be nice whilst it lasted.

If by a miracle we won it would be look at poor hard done by klopp being forced to play the kids due to the fixture schedule. The powers that be don't want them to win the quadruple. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 64saint said:

Also saying if we play out from the back good luck with that......3 times !!!!!!

Well he probably saw how it went the last few games so he's probably right, hopefully will be a bit better now, we need rothwell running at their goal not ours

1 minute ago, 64saint said:

Also saying if we play out from the back good luck with that......3 times !!!!!!

Not wrong though. It’s what scares me the most about this current style of playing if we do manage to go up. You can get away with it in championship when you have higher quality players compared to the rest. It soon gets found out when you are pressed by clinical high intensity players. 

1 minute ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Watching us in the tunnel.

Horrid strip...but here we go...Stephens...Manning...Rothwell...

Just 3 of our goalscorers tonight. 🙂

So you're saying it'll be 0-0 and go to penalties?

3 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I just hope the officials don’t show any kind of bias to Pool and the expectant millions. They don’t need it and it would be sickening to see it.

Is there VAR tonight? 😳

Is there extra time, replays or pens? 😳

Extra time 😂 😂 😂 just joking 

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Liverpool 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic