Liverpool 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

Oh well, onwards and upwards. This game has been a bit of an unnecessary distraction for the past few weeks but now time for the team to take inspiration from Nathan Jones heroics and break the hearts of a team chasing a quadruple (assuming they beat Chelsea tomorrow).

This time, it'll be Klopp that cries. UTS.

Score prediction 1-3. Sulemana to turn on the style with a brace. Cherry on the top with a Downes wonderstrike.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I know I usually have a pop at the "told you so" brigade, but I'm going to give it a whirl myself now...

Way before the wheels fell off the bus the last week or so, I said that our FA Cup run was an unwanted distraction. 

I stand by that assessment.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

I know I usually have a pop at the "told you so" brigade, but I'm going to give it a whirl myself now...

Way before the wheels fell off the bus the last week or so, I said that our FA Cup run was an unwanted distraction. 

You, my friend, are a hero.

fuck it, win the cup and get promoted next season. Has that ever been done before??

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, trousers said:

Absolutely right. Best thing we could have done was lose to Watford. Martin is probably loving being a Klopp fan boy for this game.

8 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I think Liverpool will play within themselves and do just enough to get an easy 2-0 win.

Yes, it's likely they'll play a number of reserves and get the game won then take a breather so doubt it'll be anything approaching 9-0....fingers crossed.

15 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

I think Liverpool will play within themselves and do just enough to get an easy 2-0 win.

Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Put in a half decent performance and avoid a humiliation but we still go out and can focus on the league. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

Absolutely no chance, 3-0 Liverpool who don't get out of 2nd gear

I love the Cup but sense Martin isn't even taking this seriously. Going to be tedious listening to commentary fawning over Klopp. 

Fair play to the 5500 fans travelling up, show the Kop what real support looks like. 

45 minutes ago, saintant said:

Yes, it's likely they'll play a number of reserves and get the game won then take a breather so doubt it'll be anything approaching 9-0....fingers crossed.

Yes as I said earlier, there is no incentive for them to go for a cricket score, unlike the league where goal difference can be crucial at the end of the season. Go three up and then they can put on their slippers, put their feet up, and have a nice cup of tea.

Given Liverpool's well-documented injury crisis, I'd be surprised if they name a strong team. And if they do, get leathered in to a few challenges early on and put the frighteners on them.

Hopefully Mara and Dibling play. They've earned it with good performances in the previous round.

An alternative view is to say Klopp will put out a team that will keep some of his heavyweights on the bench, so here's our chance. Many think automatic promotion is now not realistic and barring a catastrophe, we'll be in the play-offs, so why not put out our strongest team. RM can show some respect to the 5,400 travelling fans and really go for it. A few strong tackles early on (aka Millwall on Fraser), they'll lose heart and we spring a surprise which will do wonders for players' confidence.

• Like 1

Was in two minds as to whether take time off work and go to this. So glad I’m not. Easiest game of season for Liverpool so imagine will be mostly their kids but will still be easily good enough based on recent form. 

Even Liverpool reserves will have enough about them to do us about 5 or 6 nil. Be good to get an away goal so our travelling horde have something to cheer.

Genuinely wish we’d not scored that last minute equaliser at Watford, all been a bit odd since then.

Edited by bpsaint

Absolutely knackered.

Been up all night finishing off my giant bedsheet flag for Wednesday night. An intricate painted caricature of David Brooks in his Saints kit, standing over Anfield holding the FA Cup aloft, with Wednesdays date on it, DAVID BROOKS SOCK IT TO THE KOP 28/2/24  in huge letters. Absolutely guaranteed to be on ITV with that....well it better be the time it has taken, phew!!! 🥱😴👍👍

• Haha 7

I always think that teams from the lower divisions with a contrasting style have the most chance of winning these kind of ties. At the very least you have the be solid defensively and offer a real threat on the break and from set pieces. Is that us?

Realistically, you're not going to beat them at their own game. 

Are we able to play our normal game and cope with their press?

What a tough challenge. Hope we play well and create a few chances.

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Absolutely knackered.

Been up all night finishing off my giant bedsheet flag for Wednesday night. An intricate painted caricature of David Brooks in his Saints kit, standing over Anfield holding the FA Cup aloft, with Wednesdays date on it, DAVID BROOKS SOCK IT TO THE KOP 28/2/24  in huge letters. Absolutely guaranteed to be on ITV with that....well it better be the time it has taken, phew!!! 🥱😴👍👍

Remember not to use yellow felt tip on white

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Liverpool v the Quadruple Killers - Wednesday 8pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic

Let's hope we recreate this performance/ result in memory of Chris Nicholl on Wednesday night, all out attack , Dibling as our Le Tissier, Adam Armstrong as our Shearer, sulemana as Rod Wallace 

Edited by JRM
  • Like 6

Lumley 

Meghoma

Thb

Bednarek

Stephens 

Downes for 60mins (charles)

Aribo for 60mins (Rothwell if not cuptied)

Dibling

Edozie

Sulemana for 60mins (SAA)

Che for 60mins (mara)

Rest Stu and Smallbone and KWP.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Let's hope we recreate this performance/ result in memory of Chris Nicholl on Wednesday night, all out attack , Dibling as our Le Tissier, Adam Armstrong as our Shearer, sulemana as Rod Wallace 

Two lads in front of the Milton when Le Tiss scores the fourth, waving a inflatable banana. Unfortunately one if them is me!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

I can see me Dad in the family centre in that video. Love it. One of the best Saints games ever. We were fucking magic that day.

• Like 5

This will be an embarrassment. Anyone who thinks this Saints squad is able to beat Liverpool is a sadly deluded fool…their squad is streets ahead of ours, so any amount of possession will be negated by their blistering speed. This really could be an utter rout…I’m saying 7-0.

• Like 2

I truly believe our recent slump is down to FA cup games and tinkering, ruining the continuity of the team and messing up the rhythm etc. I also think their minds have been on this 'Big Stage' game and a chance to put themselves in the shop window to be signed up by some EPL team in the summer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chownie20 said:

Lumley 

Meghoma

Thb

Bednarek

Stephens 

Downes for 60mins (charles)

Aribo for 60mins (Rothwell if not cuptied)

Dibling

Edozie

Sulemana for 60mins (SAA)

Che for 60mins (mara)

Rest Stu and Smallbone and KWP.

Rest Smallbone??? He's been resting on field for weeks ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

This will be an embarrassment. Anyone who thinks this Saints squad is able to beat Liverpool is a sadly deluded fool…their squad is streets ahead of ours, so any amount of possession will be negated by their blistering speed. This really could be an utter rout…I’m saying 7-0.

Let's be honest it's a bloody good job 3/4s of their team are injured. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Correct!  Don't be mislead by all the bluff and bluster on this thread, most people realise that we stand no chance at all against arguably the currently best team in the world. 

in the heady days of the win against Swansea when we purred like a well oiled machine and didn't put a pass astray maybe there was an outside chance of an upset but now we are in a completely different place with an unsettled and poorly structured team that has lost its coordination and intent.

• Like 1

Genuine question, does anyone really expect Klopp to leave at the end of the season?

I'm relatively certain he'll do a full U-turn and stay, whatever happens for the rest of this season. It's all mind-games and drama. It's going to be a sickening, media wank-fest on a level unparalleled when he announces he's staying because he has unfinished business (if they don't win the league this season) / the fans are too special for him to leave.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Genuine question, does anyone really expect Klopp to leave at the end of the season?

I'm relatively certain he'll do a full U-turn and stay, whatever happens for the rest of this season. It's all mind-games and drama. It's going to be a sickening, media wank-fest on a level unparalleled when he announces he's staying because he has unfinished business (if they don't win the league this season) / the fans are too special for him to leave.

Can't question his achievements, but I personally can't wait to see the back of his gurning mug.

• Like 6

This is the bit where injuries to key players 'improve unexpectedly'.

The Klopp love-in is insufferable.

Somebody should remind the media of the illegal approach to VVD which was his foundation.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp describes latest Carabao Cup triumph over Chelsea 'most special' of his career | Football News | Sky Sports

🤮🤮

56 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Is Flynn Downes still injured, i don't recall reading anything about why he wasn't in the squad Saturday?

He was in the pictures from training ahead of the Millwall game.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Liverpool 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic