Liverpool 3-0 Saints - Match Thread

18 hours ago, chownie20 said:

Lumley 

Meghoma

Thb

Bednarek

Stephens 

Downes for 60mins (charles)

Aribo for 60mins (Rothwell if not cuptied)

Dibling

Edozie

Sulemana for 60mins (SAA)

Che for 60mins (mara)

Rest Stu and Smallbone and KWP.

I think playing downes in this would be way too risky .. could you imagine if he started the cup game and got injured again? 

As much as I’d like to beat the scouse,league has to be priority 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I think playing downes in this would be way too risky .. could you imagine if he started the cup game and got injured again? 

Agreed, wouldn’t risk Downes as his absence has obviously made a big difference, keep him healthy for promotion push.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint Billy said:

Need this game like a hole in the head.

Why. We aren't getting an automatic spot and we are nailed on for play-offs. I view it as a good time to put out our strongest available team and see how they do against Klopp's collection of experience and yoof.

• Like 4

On 25/02/2024 at 11:27, CB Fry said:

Absolutely knackered.

Been up all night finishing off my giant bedsheet flag for Wednesday night. An intricate painted caricature of David Brooks in his Saints kit, standing over Anfield holding the FA Cup aloft, with Wednesdays date on it, DAVID BROOKS SOCK IT TO THE KOP 28/2/24  in huge letters. Absolutely guaranteed to be on ITV with that....well it better be the time it has taken, phew!!! 🥱😴👍👍

It's on ITV

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Why. We aren't getting an automatic spot and we are nailed on for play-offs. I view it as a good time to put out our strongest available team and see how they do against Klopp's collection of experience and yoof.

I'd like to think that the team aren't quite as defeatist as this. Yes, it looks unlikely we'll beat Leeds and Ipswich but I doubt we've thrown the towell in with over ten games still to play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Have to agree with a lot of what you say here .

We are in a strange position in the league now . As you say we ain’t going up in 2nd ( and for the more loony of our fan base we ain’t catching Leicester either) and we are going to quality for the playoffs . More than likely the lowest we will finish is 4th . 

so in some respects the league has fizzled out a bit and a cup run is now more exciting then perhaps it should’ve been . 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I'd like to think that the team aren't quite as defeatist as this. Yes, it looks unlikely we'll beat Leeds and Ipswich but I doubt we've thrown the towell in with over ten games still to play.

It's more of a realist view than a defeatist view. With Leicester, Ipswich and Leeds (unbeaten at home) to play away and with us sat 5 points behind second and 11 points behind first, realistically we aint getting one of the two auto spots - the side isn't good enough from what I am seeing. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, IFHP said:

Have to agree with a lot of what you say here .

We are in a strange position in the league now . As you say we ain’t going up in 2nd ( and for the more loony of our fan base we ain’t catching Leicester either) and we are going to quality for the playoffs . More than likely the lowest we will finish is 4th . 

so in some respects the league has fizzled out a bit and a cup run is now more exciting then perhaps it should’ve been . 

If we continue playing like we have been lately,  getting a play off is not a given.  Also winning a play off takes some doing regardless.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

If we continue playing like we have been lately,  getting a play off is not a given.  Also winning a play off takes some doing regardless.

To lose a 15 point lead in 12 games would take some sort of collapse so don't see it happening.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, saintant said:

It's more of a realist view than a defeatist view. With Leicester, Ipswich and Leeds (unbeaten at home) to play away and with us sat 5 points behind second and 11 points behind first, realistically we aint getting one of the two auto spots - the side isn't good enough from what I am seeing. 

Beating Liverpool at Anfield is not more realistic than overhauling a 5 point gap on Leeds and Ipswich and even if it was, that just gets us into the next round against (probably) another PL side.

6 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

We are finishing in the play offs no problem.

We have enough bloody nonsense about catching Leicester without now going in the opposite, equally ridiculous direction.

We will absolutely be in the play offs. (At least, I haven't completely ruled out second place because we still get to play Ipswich and Leeds).

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

With the state of their injuries/fitness after yesterday, this has to be a game we attack and hopefully get morale/the season back on track with a win.

Spoke to my mate who supports Liverpool and he expected this to be the team, may be way off obviously but if it's something like this you'd expect we're borderline favourites -

Kelleher
Bradley - Gomez - Quansah - Tsimikas
Clark - McConnell - Nyoni
Gakpo - Danns - Koumas

A nice win to get the fans back on side and then we're one win away from Wembley.

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Beating Liverpool at Anfield is not more realistic than overhauling a 5 point gap on Leeds and Ipswich and even if it was, that just gets us into the next round against (probably) another PL side.

I didn't claim we'll beat them but said I'd like to see us pick a strong side.

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

With the state of their injuries/fitness after yesterday, this has to be a game we attack and hopefully get morale/the season back on track with a win.

Spoke to my mate who supports Liverpool and he expected this to be the team, may be way off obviously but if it's something like this you'd expect we're borderline favourites -

Kelleher
Bradley - Gomez - Quansah - Tsimikas
Clark - McConnell - Nyoni
Gakpo - Danns - Koumas

A nice win to get the fans back on side and then we're one win away from Wembley.

I'd be amazed if that is their starting line-up.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I would too, for what it's worth. 

Would expect MacAllister at the very least, but I do feel very confident that it's not going to be anything close to strong from them.

I think Nunez and Salah might start for them.

3 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I remember playing Liverpool in a FA cup semi at White Hart Lane and Mark Wright , a pivotal player had his leg broken by Bruce Grobbelaar. My perception is it changed our momentum and screwed up the remainder of the season.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, manji said:

I remember playing Liverpool in a FA cup semi at White Hart Lane and Mark Wright , a pivotal player had his leg broken by Bruce Grobbelaar. My perception is it changed our momentum and screwed up the remainder of the season.

Yep I was there too, gutting and stopped us dead that season.  Shitty frenetic game and Chrissy Nicholl as manager:

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I would too, for what it's worth. 

Would expect MacAllister at the very least, but I do feel very confident that it's not going to be anything close to strong from them.

Not sure about MacAllister myself. He was really struggling before he came off yesterday. Looked absolutely done in. 

1 hour ago, manji said:

I was there too. However IIRC Wright collided with Shilton?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Yep I was there too, gutting and stopped us dead that season.  Shitty frenetic game and Chrissy Nicholl as manager:

Was the game shown live? I can't remember it all.

27 minutes ago, Chez said:

Was the game shown live? I can't remember it all.

Pretty certain it wasn’t. But it was at least at 3.00 PM on a Saturday as it should be. 

I thought that I remembered Moran missing a decent chance, maybe not long before the first goal ? 

4 hours ago, aintforever said:

Yes it was. It happened right in front of me, was nasty.

Craig Johnstone shilts and mark wright went for the same ball … the echo had the pic where you could see wrightys leg bend way out shape ready to snap ! 
was great shot by photographer.

scousers above us were pissing and  thowin coins on .. dirty northern cunts ! was packed in the away end .. I was 12 .. Moran hit the bar in normal time !

• Like 1

On 24/02/2024 at 21:12, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Absolutely right. Best thing we could have done was lose to Watford. Martin is probably loving being a Klopp fan boy for this game.

I think that many managers might  feel the same, especially as Klopp's teams have won more trophies than most clubs could only dream of ..... ...

13 hours ago, manji said:

WOW !....really ?.. what position did you play that day?

15 hours ago, CB Fry said:

We are finishing in the play offs no problem.

We have enough bloody nonsense about catching Leicester without now going in the opposite, equally ridiculous direction.

We will absolutely be in the play offs. (At least, I haven't completely ruled out second place because we still get to play Ipswich and Leeds).

I said 'if'

35 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

I think that many managers might  feel the same, especially as Klopp's teams have won more trophies than most clubs could only dream of ..... ...

Plus the most expensive gnashers in world football, Russ can only dream of those pearly whites nestling beneath his hipster beard. 

19 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

I said 'if'

Even if we keep playing like now we'll still make the play offs. 

Sunderland finished sixth with 69 points last season, were two points off that now. If you assume worst case (we win one in four for the rest of the season) we are on for 76 points which is play offs in pretty much any season.

But the idea we go from nearly two points a game to less than a point a game (Sheffield Wednesday form) is pretty fanciful.

So not really an if, to be honest.

Edited by CB Fry

In the pre match press conference Martin claiming we lost the Millwall game due to poor finishing and if Adam Armstrong had've been playing we would have won. 

Well despite only creating 1 good chance (apart from the header which Armstrong actually missed) I don't see how that has anything to do with it.

No way was it down to how poor we were with the ball of course.

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

Lumley

KWP - Stephens - Bednarek - Bree

Charles

S.Armstrong - Aribo

A.Armstrong - Adams - Sulemana*

(* assuming Brooks isn't available for this one)

Happy with that side.    Maybe Meghoma should start at LB - he's earned the chance.   Touch and go with Brooks?

19 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Happy with that side.    Maybe Meghoma should start at LB - he's earned the chance.   Touch and go with Brooks?

Yeah, guess so. No mention of him in the pre-match press conference this morning. Not sure what to read into that to be honest.

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

Think we should put out our youngest possible side just to piss on their media-love in bonfire. I suspect they will have injured players magically recover today. Blessed by the hand of Klopp, or something.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Liverpool 3-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic