Ipswich 3-2 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

We've lost all of our momentum, they've still got some - albeit they are stuttering.

Of the 3 top 3 sides we have to play I'd say they are one of the more beatable ones, but I'm sat here today and I don't think it really matters anymore. We needed a win today to go into that game on Monday with a chance to claw right back - now we're going there to just avoid them getting further away, all a bit naff and pointless now really.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, LGTL said:

There’s no way we cope with them. It’ll be frantic and our pathetic bunch of spanners will fold. 

3-0

Don’t be so silly!

Spanners are very useful and would be good for keeping everything tight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I have a funny feeling that we are going to win this one, although this might come back to bite me.  TBH I would rather Leeds and Leicester finish top 2 as I really wouldnt fancy our chances against either of them in the playoffs.  Think that we could beat Ipswich in the playoffs.

• Like 2

Ipswich are tough to beat and efficient, they've lost fewer games than anyone this season and they're in good form. We are predictable, easy to play against and concede far too many goals. I predict we will have more of the ball, miss a few decent chances and lose by the odd goal. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ipswich are tough to beat and efficient, they've lost fewer games than anyone this season and they're in good form. We are predictable, easy to play against and concede far too many goals. I predict we will have more of the ball, miss a few decent chances and lose by the odd goal. 

I think you're right mate, might have a few quid on Ipswich and both teams to score 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chownie20 said:

Just watched them beat Blackburn without pretty much touching the ball for the last 60mins. You make your own luck but jeez how many undeseved points have they got this season.

I don't think that's fair, you don't get to 84 points by getting loads of underserved points. They totally deserve to be where they are. We caught them back in the winter, but let them get away again through our incompetence - so full credit to them and they're in for an exciting last 6 weeks or so and we'll carry on watching afar whilst playing the ball between our back 4.

• Like 1

Very true, but where we have squandered 12 to 15 points, they've stolen that amount massively against the odds. As I said you make your own luck but you do feel lady luck is on their side and it's destined to be.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chownie20 said:

Just watched them beat Blackburn without pretty much touching the ball for the last 60mins. You make your own luck but jeez how many undeseved points have they got this season.

Whereas we on the other hand ???

Are we unlucky, or do we just allow games to peter out and needlessly concede ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

Whereas we on the other hand ???

Are we unlucky, or do we just allow games to peter out and needlessly concede ?

We bring it on ourselves totally by not being ruthless enough after dominating games obviously.

But the point was about Ipswich rather than us really. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, chownie20 said:

People probably said similar about us when we beat Leeds in our promotion season. They've got a far better manager than we do, deservedly beat us at St. Mary's and will batter us Monday. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, chownie20 said:

if they keep doing it over and over again then it's not luck is it.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, chownie20 said:

We bring it on ourselves totally by not being ruthless enough after dominating games obviously.

But the point was about Ipswich rather than us really. 

We certainly do. Today it was about the 70 minute mark today when we stopped going forward. Ipswich hold on then score the last minute goals.

I can see us leading 1-0 with 10 minutes to go and then it all goes to pot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chownie20 said:

Very true, but where we have squandered 12 to 15 points, they've stolen that amount massively against the odds. As I said you make your own luck but you do feel lady luck is on their side and it's destined to be.

I think we've been lucky this season too. Yes we've conceded some late goals (but they weren't down to bad luck, eg Middlesborough deserved their point today). We've won a fair few at the death, some earned, some luck. It's evened out IMO.

• Like 1

Been really impressed by Ipswich every time I've seen them this year, not so much about tactics with them, but attitude and getting the job done.   Whereas we are totally one dimensional and reliant on possession they have the ability to change it up when necessary, and they don't know when they're beat.  Very impressed with the manager who appears to have stayed out of the limelight and quietly got on with the job.  Can't see us getting anything here but it's not the end of the world, our auto prom race was run a few months back.  Pray for the playoff gods to be on our side. 

• Like 2

Adams to come off the bench and grab a brilliant consolation goal in the 95th minute. Saints bubble has slithered to a gooey mess. Everything now should be about preparing for the inevitable play-off games.

26 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Adams to come off the bench and grab a brilliant consolation goal in the 95th minute. Saints bubble has slithered to a gooey mess. Everything now should be about preparing for the inevitable play-off games.

How do you prepare for play off games now? What practical things can the manager and coaches be doing in March to get ready for games in May?

We won't know who we are going to be playing until the season finishes, or maybe a week before depending on the table.

6 minutes ago, The Cat said:

How do you prepare for play off games now?

Do something about that leaky defence that provides acres of space for opponents for starters. Also wrap Ross Stewart in cotton wool and start giving him some limited game time if he's ready. Either that or give Adams and co some lessons on finishing. The problems are plain to see so take some time to fix them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Do something about that leaky defence that provides acres of space for opponents for starters. Also wrap Ross Stewart in cotton wool and start giving him some limited game time if he's ready. Either that or give Adams and co some lessons on finishing. The problems are plain to see so take some time to fix them.

That's not really play off specific, though. It's just generally try and improve things we're weak at, which is fine.

"Look after an injured player" is not actually doing anything new whatsoever.

I agree with you, it's the play offs for us.

Maybe practice penalties like mad?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

That's not really play off specific, though. It's just generally try and improve things we're weak at, which is fine.

"Look after an injured player" is not actually doing anything new whatsoever.

I agree with you, it's the play offs for us.

Maybe practice penalties like mad?

The good thing about penalty shoot outs get them right and you get over 50% posssion. The bad you cant check back and pass sideways. Lots of work to be done here.

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 6

Pathetic, wimpy, tame 3-0 defeat.

Ipswich were poor when they visited us last autumn but we were just worse on the day and getting used to Russ-ball.

They have come on leaps and bounds since and look pretty content to steam roll teams when they feel like it.

3-0 defeat with Stephens at the back, Manning reintroduced, and Rothwell weirdly thrown in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

How do you prepare for play off games now? What practical things can the manager and coaches be doing in March to get ready for games in May?

We won't know who we are going to be playing until the season finishes, or maybe a week before depending on the table.

Unless results do suddenly change from here in, it must be pretty short odds that we'll be playing West Brom in the semis. (probably away first)

• Like 2

If we win this we've still got a reasonable chance of top 2 but we've left ourselves so little wriggle room. Same applies to the other three though. Pressure is on everyone now.

And that's why I'd play Fraser Richardsom front sweeper.

• Haha 4

I watched Leeds take Ipswich apart at Elland Road, basically by exploiting the space behind the full backs, the left back in particular. 

We need to be brave and leave Fraser and AA in the wide positions and keep trying balls over the top . 

Stu Armstrong looks like he needs a rest so swap him for Aribo, and even though Smallbone was poor yesterday he needs to stay in the team as he is very important to  the tempo of passing. A bit like Bally in some ways, though not nearly as good . People, myself included, used to moan about Bally's sideways passing but by god we missed him when he retired. 

Baz 

KWP THB Bednarek  Bree

Smallbone Downes Aribo

AA    Adams    Wee-man

Adams keeps his place, as I don' t think it is possible to play football with such a large afro as Mara has lately, eg George Berry the old Wolves Centre back.  

Leeds and Leicester have both got difficult games and both could easily drop points, especially as hull and Norwich want the play offs, hopefully we will beat Ipswich, which I think we will and come Monday night, things could be looking a lot better. Yesterday we were the much better side, against a side just outside the top six  and but for the appalling finishing, would have demolished them, automatic promotion certainly ain’t done yet.

• Like 1

Not quite sure why people are claiming Ipswich are lucky. They are top of the table, lost fewer games than anyone else, all  on far less resource than 3 other teams.

Those are the kind of comments that we’d get upset about - they deserve to be where they are and are clearly a very good team.

think it’ll be close on Mon - reckon we’ll be dominant, 1-0 up and miss a few chances and they will get a late equaliser as they seem very mentally strong.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Saint Marky said:

Leeds and Leicester have both got difficult games and both could easily drop points, especially as hull and Norwich want the play offs, hopefully we will beat Ipswich, which I think we will and come Monday night, things could be looking a lot better. Yesterday we were the much better side, against a side just outside the top six  and but for the appalling finishing, would have demolished them, automatic promotion certainly ain’t done yet.

But there's no point in looking at the games they'll drop points in if we also drop points on the same gameday.

No one had Leicester and Leeds to drop points yesterday, so potentially we had some bonus ground to make up - but we fucked it and that is that. They'll probably drop a few points here and there in the run in, but inevitably so will we as we proved yesterday. We simply have too much to do, realistically we needed to win all 10 games and we've already failed at the first hurdle on that one. We can only get 100 points now I think, and the Top 2 are already on course to both hit 100+ points.

It'll be interesting watching from afar to see how Leicester can recover though, how they've made that into a 3 horse race is beyond me.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

But there's no point in looking at the games they'll drop points in if we also drop points on the same gameday.

No one had Leicester and Leeds to drop points yesterday, so potentially we had some bonus ground to make up - but we fucked it and that is that. They'll probably drop a few points here and there in the run in, but inevitably so will we as we proved yesterday. We simply have too much to do, realistically we needed to win all 10 games and we've already failed at the first hurdle on that one. We can only get 100 points now I think, and the Top 2 are already on course to both hit 100+ points.

It'll be interesting watching from afar to see how Leicester can recover though, how they've made that into a 3 horse race is beyond me.

All we need is to be within 2 points of Leeds come the final game.

Enjoy the ride.

6 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

All we need is to be within 2 points of Leeds come the final game.

Enjoy the ride.

If Saints are within 2 points of Leeds in the final game it'll likely be a battle for 3rd place.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ipswich 3-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic