Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

7 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

This will be the one we lose, we will then win the rest and miss out on auto promotion by GD. Classic Saints.

Unfortunately that’s almost correct. Think we’ll either draw or win this one, but the Leicester game will be the one we choke on. Horrible nasty cynical side that has that twat Tardy playing for them. The thing I’m concerned about playing our direct promo rivals is that they're able to deliberately nobble our players to screw our chances of putting a consistent team/run together. Need to be hard and ruthless in return without giving away silly cards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

We've fallen for that one before, 12 sounds like a lot out, but how many of them are regular starters? 

I remember playing Palace away when they had no recognised defenders fit and we managed to lose 1-0 ,  but all helps. On paper a team with nothing to play for with players missing gives Martin a perfect opportunity to enjoy a visit back to South Wales. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JRM said:

We've fallen for that one before, 12 sounds like a lot out, but how many of them are regular starters? 

I remember playing Palace away when they had no recognised defenders fit and we managed to lose 1-0 ,  but all helps. On paper a team with nothing to play for with players missing gives Martin a perfect opportunity to enjoy a visit back to South Wales. 

I don’t think I could name a single Cardiff player so no idea. But you’d think will all of the circumstances that it should be a comfortable win but like you say we’ve been here before many times #scartissue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Makes me nervous. Didn't Boro have half a team missing when we played them at home? I remember their CM Howson playing at CB

1 hour ago, JRM said:

According to the article linked their joint top scorers are both out

1 minute ago, waylander said:

According to the article linked their joint top scorers are both out

I'd also add that Ng is their best player, plays at RB. He'll be out. Wouldn't mind him as a replacement for KWP, he was in the running for team of the season.

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

I don’t think I could name a single Cardiff player so no idea. But you’d think will all of the circumstances that it should be a comfortable win but like you say we’ve been here before many times #scartissue

The players with "illness" , bit vague, bet they'll actually be available by tomorrow, but like you say without knowing their squad well it's hard to know significance anyway. Ng and Ramsey are names I'd expect to be in first XI though. 

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

They're down to the bear bones.

This should be an absolute doddle, like turning over a League Two side like Gillingham.

That just brought a shudder down my spin - Perhaps, given their injuries, they'll line up with a side as ridiculous as we did that day. 

I reckon a back 4 of Bree Lyanco Perraud Meghoma would struggle in a Sunday leauge side 😂

38 minutes ago, malcolm waldron said:

Can anyone confirm whether Cardiff are putting a full strength side out tomorrow?  

Not sure if you are joking. Their best player (Ng) out for the season, 12 or more injured or ill, maybe up to 5 from the u21s to fill the squad according to their manager. I think it is safe to say they will no be putting out a full strength team, but probably not as bad as they are making out.

Has banana skin written all over it.

Hopefully we can get an early goal to settle the nerves - but failing that we simply have to just get the job done no matter how scrappy it ends up being.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Also can Brooks play in this one?

Think that only applies in the FA Cup - not league games, but not 100% sure.  Someone will know.  But his cup game was against Swansea though - and I think they're Welsh (as are Cardiff too if I'm correct - although who knows 'these days') and so I wouldn't be at all surprised if that counts him out for tomorrow.  It's too much of a risk - the last thing we need is to bring him on for the last five mins of an away win, get promoted and then find out in mid August - after a long protracted legal case - that he was ineligible and we get docked the 3 points and are suddenly de-promoted.

I think as this is on Welsh soil there's no being cup tied or ineligibility issue, but Brooks MUST only speak Welsh from the moment his passport is stamped half way across the Severn Bridge until the final whistle. 

Edited by saintstowin

3 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I wouldn't play him, rest him for Leicester. Charles did well on Tuesday, I know Preston were shit. 

Difficult call for the Manager.   While the pulse of automatic promotion flickers on I'd favour starting FD; hope for a half-time lead, and replace him with Charles, just like last week.    

9 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Difficult call for the Manager.   While the pulse of automatic promotion flickers on I'd favour starting FD; hope for a half-time lead, and replace him with Charles, just like last week.    

Yep, I think we need to start him even if he's not 100%. It's a risk if we play him but it's possibly a greater risk if we don't (IMHO of course). As Russell said himself today: we need to go full tilt on each game as it comes and not worry about any of the following future games until they come around (or words to that effect)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Flynn Downes was at the West Ham game on Thursday night, seems a bit odd to travel to that if he should have been resting, assume Saints travelled to Wales on Friday 

8 hours ago, the boy from saints said:

Which pubs are people meeting up with to watch the Leicester game and onwards?

Apparently all the pubs near the ground are home fans but pubs in the city centre are usually fine for away fans. Usually the Saints police account on twitter post a list before the game, hopefully they will at some point this morning

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic