Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Match Thread

whelk

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Will our players being wearing warm up T-shirts showing their support for Baz today?

#doitforBaz

The fans should do a tribute round of a applause on the 54th minute.

16 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The fans should do a tribute round of an applause on the 54th minute.

Rather than the goals he has conceded, how about the saves he has made and get the applause out of the way in the 1st minute. 

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Yes, we wouldn't want to score a goal in the opening few minutes of the game like last week... 

Not sure Smallbone would make it that far into the box as a CDM. Although actually he might because he never seems to be in the correct position when Martin plays him there..

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1

On another note, do you guys have confidence in McCarthy? The ball wasn't being played to him anywhere near as much as Bazunu. Which was understandable last week  but I wonder if they will adopt that strategy this week?

Edited by BranfootsLoveChild

8 minutes ago, BranfootsLoveChild said:

On another note, do you guys have confidence in McCarthy? The ball wasn't being played to him anywhere near as much as Bazunu. Which was understandable last week  but I wonder if they will adopt that strategy this week?

I was noticing that, as long as McCarthy got the ball to one of the defenders, the auto passing kicked in. They're so used to receiving it under all sorts of scenarios, they can deal with nearly anything. It might not be as fluid, and if team's press high in packs, there may be some scares. But, if they do that, we should have worked on where McCarthy can hook it to, and have someone like Sule waiting to torment opponents.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

It's VERY early days in the Leicester match, but West Brom look up for it. 

Leicester look decent as well though, think they'll win this , reminder of what a tough game it will be on Tuesday as well 

As expected, No Downes…..bugger…..and looks like we’ll try Smallbone there again !!!!

I really don’t get RM, he praises Charles then doesn’t pick him in his natural position !

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Screenshot_20240420-140742.png

Not playing Charles when “he’s close” Downes is out…… stupid 

Downes must be fit for Tuesdays can’t play that one without an actual defensive midfielder 

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Like 1

Hope we're not being over protective with Downes. If it's "only a knock" then surely better to play him in a "must win" game rather than playing someone inferior and out of position? Unless of course his injury is more serious than we were led to believe...

Regardless.... COYR!!!

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

That midfield looks.... porous. Brooks isn't going to tackle back much either.

On the plus side we've picked our strongest back 4.

And Che's banjo is ready to continue its end of season feast.

Good to see Dibling on the bench as well.

13 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

As expected, No Downes…..bugger…..and looks like we’ll try Smallbone there again !!!!

I really don’t get RM, he praises Charles then doesn’t pick him in his natural position !

Yeah, because no manager has ever praised their player in public. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Yeah, because no manager has ever praised their player in public. 

If you read his full quote smart arse he as good as says if Downes isn’t fit we’ve got him, good enough to step in !!

• Like 1

I expected Downes not to play. Hopefully it is just precautionary with Tuesday(today's result dependent) being where biggest need for him lies.

Like others the refusal to start Charles, despite him deputising ably midweek, is very odd. Hope the midfield doesn't end up being unbalanced and cost us the game.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Hope we're not being over protective with Downes. If it's "only a knock" then surely better to play him in a "must win" game rather than playing someone inferior and out of position? Unless of course his injury is more serious than we were led to believe...

Regardless.... COYR!!!

Objectively, play offs are still much more likely than top 2 and if there is any chance of Downes injury being made worse, we won't want to risk him being potentially ruled out for a longer spell including the play offs, which would be disastrous. So I can understand the caution to be honest. I just don't understand the choice for his replacement!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, trousers said:

Regardless.... COYR!!!

I just typed this response out then thought fuck it, why try and take the emotion out of it… we need to win today and the pressure we’re putting on the rest will pay and we’ll go up automatically. Win each game and that pressure build so Downes should have been risked.

‘Think if there’s a risk that playing him now that the knock gets aggravated and puts him out for the season, it’s the right call. We need to win all our games including two away against teams ahead of us and even then that might not be enough for automatic.

Probability is we’re in the play offs and we’ll stand a much better chance of we have Downes in the team going into it.’

Any know why does Saints PLay says it  'is not available in my area'  - my area being in Scotland although it accepted me two weeks ago please.  So I now rely on Convict Colony for a stream.

Edited by Totton Saint

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Why have Lumley on bench all year and in cup games to then go and dust the cobwebs off of AM and put him in when Baz got injured?

Assume it's likely to do with Mccarthy's contract stipulations . Lumley is a cheap and cheerful reserve.

1 minute ago, Totton Saint said:

Any know why does Saints PLay 'is not available in my area'  - my area being in Scotland although it accepted me two weeks ago please.  So I now rely on Convict Colony for a stream

Because of the 3pm Saturday black out in the UK. Using a VPN will bypass the geo block. 

32 minutes ago, DT said:

McCarthy in goal. Christ almighty. 

It's brilliant. Players didn't want to pass back to him on Tuesday, so it forced us playing a higher line.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Cardiff 2-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic