WBA 0-0 Saints - SF 1st Leg Match Thread

SaintBobby

3 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

We will get Norwich, Hull will sneak into 5th i reckon. The final will be Hull vs Norwich.

I don't think so. 

Hull have to win at Plymouth . 

They need WBA to lose at home to Preston , a side who are already at the departure gate for summer holidays. 

Too much to do luckily as Hull are a good side back in form. 

On 30/04/2024 at 15:09, JRM said:

I don't think so. 

Hull have to win at Plymouth . 

They need WBA to lose at home to Preston , a side who are already at the departure gate for summer holidays. 

Too much to do luckily as Hull are a good side back in form. 

WBA seems to have been awful of late. Maybe they will lose or draw yet again, they just seem to have the jitters thus I would not be shocked to seem them bow out at the last hurdle.

1 hour ago, east-stand-nic said:

WBA seems to have been awful of late. Maybe they will lose or draw yet again, they just seem to have the jitters thus I would not be shocked to seem them bow out at the last hurdle.

A draw would be enough for WBA to get in the play offs. 

Away leg on sale to 13+ aways from Monday. There’s a further two sale windows on Monday too. 

Praying for WBA as really can’t be arsed with getting to Norwich

48 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Away leg on sale to 13+ aways from Monday. There’s a further two sale windows on Monday too. 

Praying for WBA as really can’t be arsed with getting to Norwich

We drove to Norwich once. It seemed to take all day. And me windscreen wipers stopped working too.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

We drove to Norwich once. It seemed to take all day. And me windscreen wipers stopped working too.

Engineering works on the London to Norwich part of the journey which means bus replacement, so you're looking at almost 3 hours from london alone. So the best case scenario for those going by train is 4 or 5 hours each way.

Thank god we're not the early kick off to be honest as that would be a right pain in the arse

23 hours ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

Anyone having trouble getting their play off tickets - allows me to put mine in my cart but not my kids ones...............

Just had same problem. If you go to "my reserved tickets" they both should be there

On 30/04/2024 at 06:47, the colonel said:

Who do we want to play in the semi finals? Norwich/WBA/Hull?

I don't want Hull - they're the best side I've seen at SMS this season and I think they have our number. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

I don't want Hull - they're the best side I've seen at SMS this season and I think they have our number. 

Agreed. But we're not getting them unless they win by 7 clear goals away to Plymouth- who will be fighting for their lives. 

Posted (edited)
On 29/04/2024 at 22:40, SaintBobby said:

Does this count as a “must win”?

Any news yet on tickets or whether the match will be shown at St Mary’s in a lounge/bar?

If it is, certainly don't term it as one. Our record in "must win" games is pretty f'kn atrocious recently 😄

Edited by Saint86

3 hours ago, JustinR said:

Agreed. But we're not getting them unless they win by 7 clear goals away to Plymouth- who will be fighting for their lives. 

If Norwich lost by 3, they would "only" need to win by 4 to get the 7 goal turnaround.  Still very unlikely of course.

On 02/05/2024 at 13:10, franniesTache said:

Engineering works on the London to Norwich part of the journey which means bus replacement, so you're looking at almost 3 hours from london alone. So the best case scenario for those going by train is 4 or 5 hours each way.

Thank god we're not the early kick off to be honest as that would be a right pain in the arse

Yeah it was a pain, same thing in the league game on NYD. Luckily, Greater Anglia were very well organised with the coaches and it was pretty smooth. Unlike SWR where I had to wait almost an hour for a rail replacement bus to and from Eastleigh a couple of months ago...

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to WBA v Saints - 12th May 2.15pm

West Brom then. Quite glad about that really. Didn't fancy trying to get to Norwich and we have a better record at the Hawthorns in recent times (ie we won there this season and only drew at Norwich).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Great to get WBA instead of Norwich. Far easier to get to and I don’t think they’re as good. 

Tickets will fly for these, be surprised if they make Tuesday. 

Edited by LGTL

I think it's important to ignore what our previous records have been at this stage, they really mean nothing in these one off games. Without sounding too overconfident, I think we've got the better of the draws though. Don't get me wrong, they're a good side, but they don't have any of the attacking talent that Norwich have for example. 

They'll be tight, will close us down relentlessly and will probably try and foul the crap out of us - but I'm hopeful that moments of our quality will catch them out. We'll see what happens!

One thing I didn't realise is that they'd signed Yan M'Villa on a free since we played them, so he'll be playing against us. If he's even a tiny bit near the level he was at Sunderland then that's added an extra challenge!

• Like 1

Does Martin revert to 4 at the back with Stephens at LB that did so well previously at West Brom or stick with 3 at the back? Personally I'd stick to what we went with today, you need to be solid in these play off games and personally think that system suits what we have down to a tee. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I think it's important to ignore what our previous records have been at this stage, they really mean nothing in these one off games. Without sounding too overconfident, I think we've got the better of the draws though. Don't get me wrong, they're a good side, but they don't have any of the attacking talent that Norwich have for example. 

They'll be tight, will close us down relentlessly and will probably try and foul the crap out of us - but I'm hopeful that moments of our quality will catch them out. We'll see what happens!

One thing I didn't realise is that they'd signed Yan M'Villa on a free since we played them, so he'll be playing against us. If he's even a tiny bit near the level he was at Sunderland then that's added an extra challenge!

There's a reason he was on a free

10 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Does Martin revert to 4 at the back with Stephens at LB that did so well previously at West Brom or stick with 3 at the back? Personally I'd stick to what we went with today, you need to be solid in these play off games and personally think that system suits what we have down to a tee. 

I have a feeling that the starting 11 that Martin fielded yesterday will be his ‘play off side’, barring any injuries. Putting his faith in the senior players at this stage of the season to draw on experience and keep their heads. Let’s hope he’s right, worked a treat yesterday.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, redandwhitey said:

Quick shout out to Mcarthy who I thought played a steady and competent game yesterday. Felt like we had a proper keeper 

He is a better keeper than Baz. 

Baz is a better sweeper but in terms of actual basic goalkeeping McCarthy is stronger, also has excellent experience. He'd lost his confidence but hopefully has a point to prove now to motivate him. 

Edited by JRM
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

West Brom and Leeds, proper working class clubs. Strange, then, that Leeds charged our fans some nose-bleed prices yesterday. Norwich and Southampton? A bit burzhui, if you ask me.

Edited by sfc4prem

If there wasn't enough reason to go up, this chart shows that back-to-back promotions run in twos.

RDT_20240505_1037351230008775575811338.thumb.jpg.796600095df6baad1f4c25e8efa97e86.jpg

That of course means P*mpey will get promoted back to the PL at the first attempt. 

Do YOU want to be in the championship next season and see them promoted? Thought not.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

If there wasn't enough reason to go up, this chart shows that back-to-back promotions run in twos.

RDT_20240505_1037351230008775575811338.thumb.jpg.796600095df6baad1f4c25e8efa97e86.jpg

That of course means P*mpey will get promoted back to the PL at the first attempt. 

Do YOU want to be in the championship next season and see them promoted? Thought not.

If they do get promoted to the PL, I wonder if they'll try and compete legitimately rather than follow in the footsteps of the cheating football club that used to play at Fratton Park before them?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

The Skates aren't the only team promoted from League One, could be Derby or whoever wins the play-off. Even if it was the Skates, it would be OK as long as we were promoted as well, preferably with us winning the League and them being beaten into second place. 

Excited. 

Playoffs are a win/win for me as I’m really not fussed about going back up. I hate the PL, VAR, fake fans, media circus. Championship is much more my cup of tea. 

Which means if we win, I will be happy for the clubs finances and winning at Wembley. If we lose, we get more seasons of proper football. Happy days 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Keep the same team and same tactics. Simple.

Unfortunately it’s not that simple for our Russ, as he’s proven time and time again. Hope I’m wrong but I fear it’ll be back to his beloved tippy tappy inverted fullback possession obsession Russball. 

5 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Unfortunately it’s not that simple for our Russ, as he’s proven time and time again. Hope I’m wrong but I fear it’ll be back to his beloved tippy tappy inverted fullback possession obsession Russball. 

Your posts just come across as the text equivalent of white noise now. 

• Like 2

• Jimmy_D changed the title to WBA 0-0 Saints - SF 1st Leg Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic