Saints 3-1 West Brom - Match Thread

Disco Stu

On 12/05/2024 at 18:00, Harry_SFC said:

I'd go back to 4 at the back for the home game.

McCarthy, KWP, THB, Bednarek, Manning, Downes, Aribo, Smallbone, Fraser, AA, Adams/Stewart.

Guaranteed Stephens will play though.

We were leaking a shed load of goals before moving to five at the back. We seem to be a bit more solid. Why do you want to go to four? Do you think we have their number?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

We were leaking a shed load of goals before moving to five at the back. We seem to be a bit more solid. Why do you want to go to four? Do you think we have their number?

I say keep the 5 and go to four if we need to go for it later in the game. Better still, stop the risk taking in our own box. WBA squander chance after chance but they will eventually take one given enough opportunities 

• Like 1

Ordered my tickets last Tuesday. There wasn’t an e-ticket option, only post. Not received my tickets yet. Anyone else still waiting? Not sure why e-tickets weren’t used like normal home games.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Ross sprinting comfortably on Sunday, I was also comforted by the barge he took on the back that brought us up the field with a free kick that he suffered no effect with and, most importantly, when he controlled the ball and directly went for goal, as any good striker (much like Ings before him) should do. Personally I saw enough from his cameo that he's now physically fit enough for Friday even if Mara isn't, and playing will only help him be match fit for the final. Adams can then come on later in the game to rest him. I like that our attacking options may be sorting themselves out at the right time.

Quite simply a must win. This (and the play off final should we get there) are the ultimate insurance betters wet dream!

18 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Ordered my tickets last Tuesday. There wasn’t an e-ticket option, only post. Not received my tickets yet. Anyone else still waiting? Not sure why e-tickets weren’t used like normal home games.

Mine arrived today. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Cat said:

The big fight was last Saturday, Saints v Pompey. Lewie Edmondson with an easy win for red and white.

this is fake news. No man from Southampton could ever beat someone from Portsmouth in a fight. As soon as a scummer hears someone if from Portsmouth they become a quivering wreck absolutely bricking it they would be beaten just by the sheer pashun of the Pompey boy. 

I reckon they'll be pretty despondent not to come to St Marys with a win behind them. They are for the taking.

Certain Che will play unless he's on crutches and even then, he would be better than Mara. Manning didn't do anything positive yesterday so I'm hoping Bree will replace him. Another concern is Joe Aribo. He runs out of puff every game after 60/70 minutes. 

Like Francis1947 said, by all means play the possession game and draw players out of position, but once you break the press, you have to move with purpose. Get Edozie/Fraser on from the start.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Weirdly when I got tickets there was no post option and only e-ticket or collection so I've got mobile ones, seems inconsistent 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dman said:

Not at all confident about this one - we don't tend do well underpressure and it'll be a cadgy atmposhere in SMS, espcially if we don't get off to a good start. 

We're going to have to come out flying imo, a bit like WBA did, get the fans on side early doors. 

I hope and pray the club don't do all that lightshow bollox.. when was the last time we won a game after a lightshow? feels like never. 

I think it'll end up a cadgey 2-0, but I can't put my finger on to whom yet. 

It shouldn’t be up to the team to get the fans on side early doors, anyone who comes to the game and doesn’t make a racket from minute one through to the very end is a fucking helmet.

WBA fans did a good job of it from the off. 
This isn’t a shitty league game it’s the play offs, if our fans can’t do their best for this it’s a pitiful reflection.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Chez said:

It worked against Leeds and to an extent yesterday but I really don't like Manning and Stephens playing next to each other. One can't defend and the other can't pass. Not the best combo. To be fair we played well with 4 at the back both times against West Brom in the league. Hopefully the players motivation is a bit higher now than it was towards the latter part of the season...

• Like 1

I'm confident. No reason fucking not to be, look at that league table.

The only thing worrying me is whether or not this small forum represents the attitude of some fans that will be at St Mary's under the lights.

Some of you sound like absolute bottlers that will sit in silence and maybe make the odd comment, moan or inadvertent noise during the game.

If that is the case, it certainly won't help our cause. We need the fans to be on it from the off. If not, what is the fucking point?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, The Cat said:

Pretty sure there was a light show before we cruised to victory against Preston. 

Sod the light show. Word has it there's a big display planned outside St Marys to welcome the team buses. People on Twitter are bulk buying red pyro flares for it!!

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

I bought mine when they first went on sale. Again, no e-ticket option. They arrived last Friday. Or it might have been Saturday.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Still waiting for mine...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sfc4prem said:

The only thing worrying me is whether or not this small forum represents the attitude of some fans that will be at St Mary's under the lights.

Some of you sound like absolute bottlers that will sit in silence and maybe make the odd comment, moan or inadvertent noise during the game.

If that is the case, it certainly won't help our cause. We need the fans to be on it from the off. If not, what is the fucking point?

The West Brom fans really got behind their side yesterday. I can just see it now, one dodgy pass from McCarthy in the first minute  and our fans will be on the players backs. Can't be doing that in this sort of game, need to be singing and encouraging for 90 minutes.

At least there's a fair few people getting to the game early to welcome the team into the stadium. Can't wait for it. 

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

That's very obviously not true though. We played Baz because he is our best keeper. We played Mara by default, because our only other two options up front are either injured or coming back from a long injury. Our next best option is the equally useless Sully, playing out of position.

Err what? Baz is our best keeper?! How many goals have been scored against since Alex has been in goal - 1? We were leaking goals like no tomorrow with leaden legs Baz in goal…he’s certainly not the best and I would argue even Lumley is the better keeper. No, the reason Baz was played was to save the blushes of the person who recruited him!

23 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Err what? Baz is our best keeper?! How many goals have been scored against since Alex has been in goal - 1? We were leaking goals like no tomorrow with leaden legs Baz in goal…he’s certainly not the best and I would argue even Lumley is the better keeper. No, the reason Baz was played was to save the blushes of the person who recruited him!

Okay, now I am sure you’re winding me up.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I thought it was because Baz's mother washes the kit and would only do it if Gav played

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Err what? Baz is our best keeper?! How many goals have been scored against since Alex has been in goal - 1?

You’re looking for a number at the other end of the keyboard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

The West Brom fans really got behind their side yesterday. I can just see it now, one dodgy pass from McCarthy in the first minute  and our fans will be on the players backs. Can't be doing that in this sort of game, need to be singing and encouraging for 90 minutes.

At least there's a fair few people getting to the game early to welcome the team into the stadium. Can't wait for it. 

If that's the case, I'm gonna lump hundreds on Saints getting a corner in the first 30 seconds.

11 hours ago, Mixedkebab said:

It shouldn’t be up to the team to get the fans on side early doors, anyone who comes to the game and doesn’t make a racket from minute one through to the very end is a fucking helmet.

WBA fans did a good job of it from the off. 
This isn’t a shitty league game it’s the play offs, if our fans can’t do their best for this it’s a pitiful reflection.

Or people can watch the game however they like. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, JRM said:

Definitely sense the anticipation building up to the game.

Get this on top volume for the next few days on repeat 

better hear this at least twice on Friday FFS

13 hours ago, goodymatt said:

As of right now, my ticket has not arrived. Maybe they posted them yesterday?

12 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

i remember years ago, i think during our last promotion season, the atmosphere was absolutely shite in the second half of a really big game, when the players really needed the fans a lot stood their in silence. when it was discussed on here quite a few said it was because they were so nervous they couldn't shout, lol, what a bunch of wet lettuces. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i remember years ago, i think during our last promotion season, the atmosphere was absolutely shite in the second half of a really big game, when the players really needed the fans a lot stood their in silence. when it was discussed on here quite a few said it was because they were so nervous they couldn't shout, lol, what a bunch of wet lettuces. 

You'd hope 8pm on a Friday those nervous fans will have a couple of shandies to get them going. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

As of right now, my ticket has not arrived. Maybe they posted them yesterday?

21 minutes ago, Shropshire Saint said:

Mine still not arrived.

Just called the ticket office and they advised that all tickets were sent out by yesterday, should arrive by Thursday.

If not it’s a reprint and collect at the ticket office on Friday plan B.

Official site:

We’re encouraging supporters to turn out early, be in their colours and bring the noise, as we head into Friday evening’s playoff semi-final second leg against West Bromwich Albion (KO 8pm).

The Saints team bus will arrive at St Mary’s at approximately 6.15pm, with food, bars and music from 5pm to get the party started.

Stadium_Map_St-Mary_s_Tour_ywn3bj.png

Supporters can also take advantage of discounted food and drink offers up until 7.15pm.

Bring the noise and show your stripes

The support this season has been brilliant, and now we’re asking supporters to take it up a level and bring the noise to be our 12th man for this important semi-final.

We want the players to walk out to a sea of red and white as they arrive, as well as in the stands, so we encourage supporters to wear their colours.

Whether it’s a new shirt or an old shirt, we’d love to see the Saints red and white army out in full force to make the most of an important second-leg home advantage.

Supporters can take advantage of over 50 per cent off in the club store and online including this season’s shirt.

Food and drink discounts

Arrive early to make the most of your matchday, with 25 per cent off until 7.15pm - the discount will be made available via our app to redeem. The offer on our app will give a discount on drinks at the Gasworks and all other external bars from 5pm, and on all food and drink in the stadium concourses (open at 6.30pm) until 7.15pm.

Simply show the app discount to our bar and concourse colleagues to redeem.

Family Zone: Burgers and drinks. Food vans: Burgers, chicken, duck wraps, ice cream, churros and coffee (Discount not valid here). Concourses (open from 6.30pm): The usual offering including pies, hotdogs, snacks and drinks.

Matchday entertainment

We will be joined by a whole host of Saints Legends, with Matt Le Tissier, James Beattie, Franny Benali, Mark Dennis, Nicky Banger, Glenn Cockerill and Peter Rodrigues all in attendance at the match to cheer on Russell Martin’s men. Some of our legends will be making a guest appearance talk as part of our matchday entertainment, something you won’t want to miss.

In the family zone, live music will be starting at 5pm and we will have face painters on hand for fans of all ages.

From 6.45pm we will have competitions, prize giveaways and an interview with the British long-distance runner and local lad Mahamed Mahamed. He recently came fourth at the London Marathon and is the third fastest British marathon runner ever.

Your kids will be able to test their skills in the family zone, with our gameday challenges.

And don’t forget Sammy and Mary Saint will be walking around the ground, so feel free to stop them for photos.
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Just called the ticket office and they advised that all tickets were sent out by yesterday, should arrive by Thursday.

If not it’s a reprint and collect at the ticket office on Friday plan B.

my ticket ordered at the start of the window arrived yesterday after the additional 2 that i ordered.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, warsash saint said:

Anybody know where West Brom are staying Thursday night? 😉

It’s an 8pm kick off. I’d be shocked if they are staying anywhere else other than their homes.

2 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Or people can watch the game however they like. 

That’s true, shame we have so many intolerant ones that stare, shake their head and huff at people who try and make some noise 

17 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

Forget the saves (which would've squirmed under Bazunu at least half the time) - McCarthy dominated the penalty area yesterday. 

I'm McCarthy's biggest critic but this is true. He had a very good game, and showed what Bazunu lacks. Couldn't give a monkeys about B's passing ability. We need a keeper who saves shots, and this is what McCarthy did in this game. Must want to prove a point. Would still be a disaster on pens, mind

29 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

It’s an 8pm kick off. I’d be shocked if they are staying anywhere else other than their homes.

Not so sure, teams rarely travel on the day of the game at this level now. 

Posted (edited)

I'm no psychologist, but couldn't this pre-match bus 'parade / welcome' malarkey backfire on us? Could it make the team more nervous / on-edge than they might otherwise have been had it been treated as 'just another game'...?

(Countering my own thoughts, I appreciate it could be a good 'dress rehearsal' for Wembley, thus getting the players used to all the hoo-hah.... if we get there, of course....)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

I'm no psychologist, but couldn't this pre-match bus 'parade / welcome' malarkey backfire on us? Could it make the team more nervous / on-edge than they might otherwise have been had it been treated as 'just another game'...?

(Countering my own thoughts, I appreciate it could be a good 'dress rehearsal' for Wembley, thus getting the players used to all the hoo-hah.... if we get there, of course....)

Hmm, depends

By all accounts, based on his media comments on his own experience of the playoffs and decisions such as training at St Mary’s the day before the game, the manager does not want to treat it as ‘just another game’

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

You’d hope the pressure of the occasion wouldn’t be influenced negatively by strong support. I’d expect the bigger impact might be on the WBA team.

• Like 2

If there's a few thousand meeting the Saints coach assume the WBA coach will also arrive at a similar time so will also be greeted by the home fans. 

This is out of the ordinary for home games as players usually park in their own cars at the ground apparently rather than arrive on a team bus. 

48 minutes ago, JRM said:

Not so sure, teams rarely travel on the day of the game at this level now. 

Man City are travelling today for the Spurs game, the Arsenal fans found this out this morning after they set fireworks off outside a hotel they thought they were staying at.

• Haha 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 West Brom - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic