Saints 3-1 West Brom - Match Thread

Disco Stu

Said way back that we’d be in the play-offs but wouldn’t trouble Wembley. Mind you I did predict and Old Farm play off final. To be fair it’s in the lap of the gods. Sadly, I was more sure Leeds would get the job done this evening than we will tomorrow night. It’s a mentality thing. We’re too likely to do something so Saintsy.

• Like 1

I'm expecting Saints to do a Leeds tomorrow night. Up until the 10th minute that is.

Grab an early 1-0 lead and then pass it around the 6 yard box until WBA grab an 89th minute equaliser.

My crystal ball goes a bit misty in extra time.

• Like 1

Really think we should do the same to W.Brom. We've Manuel Neuer in goal (hopefully he didn't just make a guest appearance last week!) so they're not scoring and we'll create sufficient chances to put a few away.

3-0 Saints. Question is, do we come on to the pitch to congratulate the players after the game? Leeds didn't today but we all know their support is very fickle!

• Sad 1

Alot of pessimism on here. I get it comes with the territory, but I'm confident we'll do the job tomorrow night.

We played within ourselves the away leg, I think it was planned that way.

2-0 or 2-1 to Saints. Stewart to bag his first goal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Winnersaint said:

Said way back that we’d be in the play-offs but wouldn’t trouble Wembley. Mind you I did predict and Old Farm play off final. To be fair it’s in the lap of the gods. Sadly, I was more sure Leeds would get the job done this evening than we will tomorrow night. It’s a mentality thing. We’re too likely to do something so Saintsy.

Username does not check out….

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Be more WINdsor and less WOEkingham. 

I must admit after tonight's game I'm starting to build up with hopeful anticipation for tomorrow night. I know we won't blow WBA like Leeds did tonight but I just feel like we can do it. WE CAN! And I'm getting excited about it. My excitement will probably peak at the ref's first whistle and then head on a downward spiral, but for now, I'm getting excited. One chance to get to Wembley. Let's flaming take it!

• Like 5

Need a positive team selection from RM. Expecting a fast start to this one. Lots of energy, moving the ball about quickly with some incisive passing through the midfield, topped off with some superbly executed finishing.

…Hopefully Saints will get back into it second half. 😂

7 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Be more WINdsor and less WOEkingham. 

I must admit after tonight's game I'm starting to build up with hopeful anticipation for tomorrow night. I know we won't blow WBA like Leeds did tonight but I just feel like we can do it. WE CAN! And I'm getting excited about it. My excitement will probably peak at the ref's first whistle and then head on a downward spiral, but for now, I'm getting excited. One chance to get to Wembley. Let's flaming take it!

We should go into this game with a WINNERSh mindset 

I think we start 4-3-3 tonight, make the most of a huge atmosphere in the ground. I’d be surprised if the Baggies went for it early too, most likely they will look to contain and hit us on the break. 

Macca

King Walker Peters - Jan - Bellísimo - Stephens

Smallbonio - Flynniesta - Joe

Arma - Che 🤞 - Wee Man

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

If we get through tomorrow and Leeds play like this against us we’ll be blown away by them. Plus they’ll be so not wanting to lose three times to us.

I am feeling the same, however, Norwich gifted Leeds a couple of goals, after which their heads dropped and they didn't put up a fight. I felt the first goal was pivotal, it came so early and a Norwich defender blocked the keepers view by running across him as the ball was struck. Don't get me wrong, Leeds played really well, they also had an immense home support, but I felt the result flattered them a little. Wembley will be different (if we make it), both teams will be nervous and nobody will have the home advantage. However, this result does give leads a mental edge and a springboard into the final, but we have beaten them twice (including recently), so on balance, it could go either way, if we reach the final it will be tight.

• Like 1

We'll be fine tonight. Nervy first half, but a comfortable 3-1 win. My only concern is left back, Manning scares me against their right winger, so probably Stephens is the lesser of those 2 evils. Our biggest risk is vital players getting kicked out of the game, or being injured ahead of Leeds. COYR. 

11 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

If we get through tomorrow and Leeds play like this against us we’ll be blown away by them. Plus they’ll be so not wanting to lose three times to us.

Like they’ve blown us away the last two times we’ve played them you mean? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SW11_Saint said:

Like they’ve blown us away the last two times we’ve played them you mean? 

We could have played and beaten Leeds ten times this season and people will stay this stuff.

We've beaten them home and away this season pretty comprehensively so I think we should be allowed to think we can beat them again.

Anyway- let's get there first 😬

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 17/05/2024 at 08:09, CB Fry said:

We could have played and beaten Leeds ten times this season and people will stay this stuff.

We've beaten them home and away this season pretty comprehensively so I think we should be allowed to think we can beat them again.

Anyway- let's get there first 😬

Exactly. Not saying we will - we may not even get there - but after beating a godawful Norwich side comfortably, people seem to have decided that Leeds are now Barcelona in their prime. They’re about the same as us. If we get there, it could go either way. Let’s get there though and find out…

Edited by SW11_Saint
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, notnowcato said:

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

We should go into this game with a WINNERSh mindset 

Indeed we will, although I'm not sure there is a 'we'. The only other Saints fan in Winnersh I know moved to Hurst a few years back

1 hour ago, Harry_SFC said:

Judging from Martins comments I think he'll be on the bench. Give Stewart 60 mins then bring Che on. 

He's more likely to start with Mara-donna.

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

We've beaten them home and away this season pretty comprehensively so I think we should be allowed to think we can beat them again. 😬

And  that could be the problem. In a one off, winner takes all scenario you can take nothing for granted.

See, we are already assuming we’re going to get through tonight….

Leeds have got to be favourites now for the premier league, they have the experience grit and mentality that we are lacking.  You never know though we could surprise everyone! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

And  that could be the problem. In a one off, winner takes all scenario you can take nothing for granted.

Saying we are capable of beating Leeds because we already have twice is not "taking things for granted", is it?

I look forward to you lecturing people saying "Leeds are going to blow us away at Wembley" to stop taking things for granted as well. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, cambsaint said:

I just hope we can control Fellowes on their right wing and avoid making stupid mistakes when playing it out from the back.

At least the opposition can't score from row Z.

Just stand on his right foot.  Didn’t use his left at all on Sunday.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Just stand on his right foot.  Didn’t use his left at all on Sunday.

Some might say go for his standing left foot. I say just get both smashed early doors and watch him hobble all game.

1 hour ago, manji said:

Yeah let’s get a scapegoat ready 🙄

The comment is more directed to RM and his starting team selection than Mara, who to be fair to the lad, can’t help not having a scooby about how to do anything resembling a threat on the opposition goal. 🙄

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Leeds have got to be favourites now for the premier league, they have the experience grit and mentality that we are lacking.  You never know though we could surprise everyone! 

oh do fuck off. Thats jsut utter bollox isnt it. We beat them home and away easily and finished below them by three points with Downes injured for a significant amount of games. Now he is fit its clearly a straight shoot out. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

oh do fuck off. Thats jsut utter bollox isnt it. We beat them home and away easily and finished below them by three points with Downes injured for a significant amount of games. Now he is fit its clearly a straight shoot out. 

I admit Leeds in the playoff final was my worst case scenario but I imagine they're more scared of us than the other way around. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Saint NL said:

Mara, Manning and Stephens.

Nearly a third of our team are escape goats 😱

Goats Manning and Stephens are good at escaping from a press.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Why, and do they? I think we are a better side than them - even with injuries.

And on the experience front - We have Macca, "Janny B", Stephens, KWP, Downes, Aribo (including a European final no less), Armstrong as likely starters - not to mention the likes of Che and Fraser who we might well see tonight. Saints have got a lot of experienced heads.

Saints are a more of a cup team than anything else imo - As a fanbase we're used to being the underdog and being up against it, in going for results in one off matches and causing upsets against the big sides - and we've been to Wembley far more than Leeds have in recent years and our fans are used to these sorts of games and performing in them. That will rub off on the players. Leeds didn't even play well to get to 3-0 against Norwich, Norwich were literally appalling. Confident if we get past West Brom (which worries me more), we'll see to leeds at Wembley.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Didn’t Leeds have any injuries during the course of the season ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

West Brom are no slouches. No point thinking too much about Leeds unless we walk the walk tonight. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Badger said:

Didn’t Leeds have any injuries during the course of the season ? 

yes but not a key as Downes without an adequate replacement. the stats od games with  / without Downes tends to confirm that as well.

Just now, coalman said:

West Brom are no slouches. No point thinking too much about Leeds unless we walk the walk tonight. 

Exactly. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. 

Big dilemma , does RM start and keep all his penalty takers on, even if they look to be flagging a bit, or keep a couple back for ET if needed. 

Just now, Badger said:

Exactly. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. 

Big dilemma , does RM start and keep all his penalty takers on, even if they look to be flagging a bit, or keep a couple back for ET if needed. 

Gotta go for the win. Play our best team. Take players off if they get tired. Playing with an eye on penalties is a mug's game.

• Like 1

Have hit the critical mass of 'nothing else useful is getting done today'.

Home for some lunch and then onto the beers, methinks. (He says, having already cracked into his first of the day).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-1 West Brom - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic