Defectors Watch

adrian lord

I find it remarkable that not one of the defectors has flourished since mixing it in with the 'elite' of the game, nor increased their price tags. Their prospects admittedly are greater as far as international football goes, but there is no merit in this as we all know.

Their prospects admittedly are greater as far as international football goes, but there is no merit in this as we all know.

Luke has progressed from the senior England team to the under 21's, and from premier league dynamo to ManU's bench warming scapegoat. Guess he has plenty of cash for takeaways now, but he wasn't exactly on a paupers wage with us.

Anybody care to analyse why this is? The team spirit, ethos and mutual support there was before, backroom staff and/or manager who knew what they're doing, playing well to get a transfer a la Saganowski, historical precedent (Stevie Williams etc.), inflated egos now being burst, not playing so regularly, bad training regimes.. Theories welcome.

Anybody care to analyse why this is? The team spirit, ethos and mutual support there was before, backroom staff and/or manager who knew what they're doing, playing well to get a transfer a la Saganowski, historical precedent (Stevie Williams etc.), inflated egos now being burst, not playing so regularly, bad training regimes.. Theories welcome.

I think it might have to do with not adapting well to new training and playing styles. The reason Pelle/Tadic have adapted so quickly is because they've just come from the Dutch league like Koeman.

On the topic of defectors, I know Rojo doesn't quite count but given we tried to sign him I think we really dodged a bullet. No way is he worth the $18m they wanted. Apart from a few good moments here and there he's overall looked below-standard for ManU. He and Shaw are constantly getting found out down that left side.

Hindsight is great isn't it. If only you could have it in advance..... I didn't want ANY of the defectors to leave but now the only one I would still like to have kept is Chambers but even with him, because I would only have kept him as cover for Clyne, I think the money was worth more to us than the player. I wouldn't swop the players who are now playing in their positions for any of them.

I think it might have to do with not adapting well to new training and playing styles. The reason Pelle/Tadic have adapted so quickly is because they've just come from the Dutch league like Koeman.

On the topic of defectors, I know Rojo doesn't quite count but given we tried to sign him I think we really dodged a bullet. No way is he worth the $18m they wanted. Apart from a few good moments here and there he's overall looked below-standard for ManU. He and Shaw are constantly getting found out down that left side.

maybe something in this for lallana, shaw and chambers. They have only ever known "the southampton way". Maybe they are not as versatile as people thought. Re Lovren - Liverpool got that wrong. Lovren benefitted for Morgan and vic\cork sat in front of him now he has Gerard and he is far more exposed. As for SRL, well he's hardly had a chance has he.

Thought Shaw looked as though he is carrying some extra weight but I thought he linked up ok with Di Maria but his defending was poor and his positioning even worse. Rojo looked poor as well and nowhere near our Toby. I think the comments that Lovren looked good as he has Morgan and big Vic in front of him are right but I cannot believe that he has suddenly deteriorated. I cannot remember who Lallana is but I feel for Ricky. Would he be better off here or should he have gone down a league either has got to be better than warming the bench all the time.

Hindsight is great isn't it. If only you could have it in advance..... I didn't want ANY of the defectors to leave but now the only one I would still like to have kept is Chambers but even with him, because I would only have kept him as cover for Clyne, I think the money was worth more to us than the player. I wouldn't swop the players who are now playing in their positions for any of them.

Agree 100%

Lovren up against Real Madrid on Wednesday has the potential to be very funny indeed.

Agree. Normally I don't give the Champions league much thought, as my team doesn't play in it, but the thought of watching Liverpool getting hammered while watching the likes of Lovern get humiliated means I might just pay some attention to this game.

To be fair he correctly says he has played them before when with Lyon. Good experience would have been gained from the 4-0 and 2-0 defeats, although not as much as could have been as was substituted after half hour!

To be fair he has excellent defending ability - speed, tackling etc so sure he will improve. Just hope not this season!

To be fair he has excellent defending ability - speed, tackling etc so sure he will improve. Just hope not this season!

He was excellent for us but wasn't at Lyon and hasnt been at Liverpool so far. If people lose confidence their performance goes to pot, especially in pressurised environments where making the right decision is key.

Shaw's being given a pasting by one and all over last night's game. Physically I thought he looked in better shape but had the impression LVG's instructions have f*ck ed up his head so he no longer functions freely. Most of the game he didn't dare to run beyond the halfway line, where last year he'd have kept on going. It was diabolical seeing West Brom's players passing the ball between his legs, leaving Luke standing and then retrieving the ball yards beyond a frozen Shaw.

This has been a huge mistake where his football is concerned and a warning to other youngsters wanting a move. My mind boggles when I consider what Koeman would have have achieved with him were he still here. At the same time I rejoice at having Ryan Bertrand and everything he brings to the side.

Where Lovren is concerned he ought to keep his mouth shut as all he's doing is digging a bigger hole to bury himself in. I'm relishing seeing him f* ck up big time against Real Madrid and putting the final nail in his Liverpool coffin with their supporters.

Shaw,Lovren,Lallana,Lambert....all the same problem, if you don't have what makes them tick they won't err tick.

Shaw was always way overpriced and Utd were stupid to pay that much for him, there was better for less as I've always said. Hyped up way beyond his level by the gutter press I suppose. They do like a thick as pigcrap boy makes good story.

I think it's all to do with the attitude of any fish of a certain size against his total swimming area in any given situation.

Nice piece on the bbc about Liverpool's problems http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29683553 Lovern not coming out of it well:lol:

Liverpool struggled defensively last season and Rodgers spent heavily in the summer to try to put that right.

From what I saw against QPR, he has not managed it yet. In fact, they look worse at the back than they were last season, despite the new additions.

One of the things I thought they were missing when they went so close to winning the title was a leader in defence - a really domineering centre-back. Well, they still have not got one of those.

Dejan Lovren cost £20m from Southampton but, like Balotelli, he has not started his Liverpool career very well and he was given a torrid time by Zamora, who was making his first Premier League start of the season.

Zamora did almost all his work on the right, so he was up against Lovren on the left of Liverpool's defence, and brushed him aside far too easily.

As a striker, I always knew when I had the beating of a centre-back in the air and I wanted the ball put there all the time.

Zamora knew he could bully Lovren and he looked for the ball every time QPR were in possession.

Nice piece on the bbc about Liverpool's problems http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29683553 Lovern not coming out of it well:lol:

Liverpool struggled defensively last season and Rodgers spent heavily in the summer to try to put that right.

From what I saw against QPR, he has not managed it yet. In fact, they look worse at the back than they were last season, despite the new additions.

One of the things I thought they were missing when they went so close to winning the title was a leader in defence - a really domineering centre-back. Well, they still have not got one of those.

Dejan Lovren cost £20m from Southampton but, like Balotelli, he has not started his Liverpool career very well and he was given a torrid time by Zamora, who was making his first Premier League start of the season.

Zamora did almost all his work on the right, so he was up against Lovren on the left of Liverpool's defence, and brushed him aside far too easily.

As a striker, I always knew when I had the beating of a centre-back in the air and I wanted the ball put there all the time.

Zamora knew he could bully Lovren and he looked for the ball every time QPR were in possession.

To be fair, Zamora did exactly the same to us.

Rodgers biggest problem was that he didn't recognise that the likes of VW & MS will always make defenders look better than they are. If you put Steve Gerrard as a DM then you are exposing your defence needlessly.

I worry about Shaw, only up until I realise the fact that his remuneration package means that he is set for life. There were reports that some at the club had concerns about his physical state. After the 2012/13 season, he came into the 2013/14 being a much bigger lad. Huge increase in chest size. His body is still growing and I wonder whether it will grow in the right way. Sometimes you can peak early as your body growth becomes counter productive. So while a lot blame Nando's , which may or may not be the cause of things, I just wonder whether it is his growth phases that are causing this. It is easy to forget he is a teenager and that their bodies do strange things.

Seriously looking forward to the Liverpool/Madrid game. I don't usually get interested in CL as it is staid and boring, especially in this stage of things where half the games are against L1 quality. (OK, maybe that is a bit harsh, but...). Hoping Ronaldo stitches Lovren up like a kipper numerous times. The only thing that I am not looking forward to is the nauseous and sycophantic commentary going on about glory nights returning to Anfield and how wonderful Liverpool are and all that sort of bollix. YNWA blah blah blah. I am sincerely hoping for a 0-5 or more. I'll settle for a 0-4 but anything less will be disappointing.

Bitter? Sure, but I detest Liverpool as a club and their sense of entitlement and arrogance while looking condescendingly down on other clubs.

Seriously looking forward to the Liverpool/Madrid game. I don't usually get interested in CL as it is staid and boring, especially in this stage of things where half the games are against L1 quality. (OK, maybe that is a bit harsh, but...). Hoping Ronaldo stitches Lovren up like a kipper numerous times. The only thing that I am not looking forward to is the nauseous and sycophantic commentary going on about glory nights returning to Anfield and how wonderful Liverpool are and all that sort of bollix. YNWA blah blah blah. I am sincerely hoping for a 0-5 or more. I'll settle for a 0-4 but anything less will be disappointing.

Bitter? Sure, but I detest Liverpool as a club and their sense of entitlement and arrogance while looking condescendingly down on other clubs.

I'm with you all the way. Any chance of finding some Spanish commentary?

I want Lallana, Shaw and Chambers to succeed because if they do it will be good for England's future. Lambert is past his best but would love him to score a few for Liverpool just to complete his fantastic football journey. As for Lovren, I have no interest in him whatsoever. Think we might have missed the bullet when he left.

Would not want any of them back. We have as good if not better.

http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=281390&part=sports

popcorn.gif

I've been roped into a viewing of the Liverpool game by the youngest daughter. Relatively ambivalent about it, really. They win, and everyone but the dog is happy or indifferent, so it's a sort of win. If they get mullered, that'll be fun too.