Defectors Watch

adrian lord

In what way he overrated? Whilst he was here he was the top midfielder in europe in his position. I can't see how he was anything less than our best player, certainly in midfield in his last season (and arguably before that.)

That is your opinion, however not everyone shares it.....

He wasn't in right frame of mind to play I remember. That doesn't make him the model professional.

HE never said that though. He was left out of a pre-season friendly game BY THE MANAGER so he could decide what he wanted to do. He decided to stay and knuckle down, and gave us another great season before leaving in a professional manner.

HE never said that though. He was left out of a pre-season friendly game BY THE MANAGER so he could decide what he wanted to do. He decided to stay and knuckle down, and gave us another great season before leaving in a professional manner.

shame his behaviour at the time was not that professional

he gets away with it though.

i find his omission from the french squad very funny

shame his behaviour at the time was not that professional

he gets away with it though.

i find his omission from the french squad very funny

Yeah, he does. Because he realised it was the wrong way to do things and acted professionally afterward.

I find it funny as well but there's a big difference between what he did and what Lallana did.

Yeah, he does. Because he realised it was the wrong way to do things and acted professionally afterward.

I find it funny as well but there's a big difference between what he did and what Lallana did.

indeed. but still acted like an utter helmet.

shame though, he left to further his career.

guess he has more millions on top of the millions he already had. Gets to sit down more though

More millions that is for sure. I don't find it funny though. In footballing terms, he made a perfectly rational decision to join a club that plays at a different stage to us and has done for years.

I find the whole thing rather strange. Saints have to show "ambition" to keep these sort of players and to push on. Ambition. WTF is that save for how much money you are going to spend? Is that really what ambition has come to in modern day football, how much money you can throw at players to entice them to your club? If football players had ambition, they would look at the club that they are with (like Saints) and see if they could get to the top with that club. Not jump ship to a club that waves more money under their nose and that plays CL year in year out. Ok maybe that is a little off the mark, as players want to see how they fare in the CL. Earning a shît load more money isn't ambition in footballing terms.

Of course it's my opinion but it's also backed up by the stats at the time. I'd be interested to know why you think he was overrated which is why I asked.

Nowhere near good enough with the ball, just a sideways and backwards passer. Getting it back he was one of the best in Europe, but when you play for a top team that regularly has 60%+ possession you have to be able to do things with the ball and he just doesn't have that ability. He hasn't played an incisive pass in his Man Utd career so far and he didn't do much of it for us either. His best games (like Wanyama) came against better teams when the emphasis for us is on winning the ball back, and big teams leave enough space for them to be able to play simple passes to release us on the attack. At Utd he's asked to break teams down (as ALL midfielders for the top clubs have to do) and he's looked painfully out of his depth at times.

I used to love watching him when we didn't have the ball though, his energy and running was just relentless

Nowhere near good enough with the ball, just a sideways and backwards passer. Getting it back he was one of the best in Europe, but when you play for a top team that regularly has 60%+ possession you have to be able to do things with the ball and he just doesn't have that ability. He hasn't played an incisive pass in his Man Utd career so far and he didn't do much of it for us either. His best games (like Wanyama) came against better teams when the emphasis for us is on winning the ball back, and big teams leave enough space for them to be able to play simple passes to release us on the attack. At Utd he's asked to break teams down (as ALL midfielders for the top clubs have to do) and he's looked painfully out of his depth at times.

I used to love watching him when we didn't have the ball though, his energy and running was just relentless

Spot on pal. I never ever remember him playing raking cross field balls.

Spot on pal. I never ever remember him playing raking cross field balls.

Not enough I'm afraid if you want to play in midfield for a top team. I loved the bloke but he doesn't have the ability to play a good through ball regularly or play quick one touch football. He's mostly a sideways and backward passer (having taken 2 or 3 touches) and that isn't enough if you want to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

It's funny that now the players that looked to have made an awful move last season are playing really well (Lovren and Lallana) maybe Morgan just needs a season to settle. His mega move has come at a cost, missing the Euros that you only get to go to 3-4 times in your career if you're lucky. Which I find rather funny

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes to Spurs in the summer if united want to offload him though.

More millions that is for sure. I don't find it funny though. In footballing terms, he made a perfectly rational decision to join a club that plays at a different stage to us and has done for years.

I find the whole thing rather strange. Saints have to show "ambition" to keep these sort of players and to push on. Ambition. WTF is that save for how much money you are going to spend? Is that really what ambition has come to in modern day football, how much money you can throw at players to entice them to your club? If football players had ambition, they would look at the club that they are with (like Saints) and see if they could get to the top with that club. Not jump ship to a club that waves more money under their nose and that plays CL year in year out. Ok maybe that is a little off the mark, as players want to see how they fare in the CL. Earning a shît load more money isn't ambition in footballing terms.

This was along the lines of what MLT said for us- Here is the interview:

Some critics argued at the time that you enjoyed a good life in Southampton without the pressures associated with playing in a top club, and that this is one reason why you stayed. I believe you replied, in what is now a historical sentence, that: “To play for the best teams is a difficult challenge. But to play against the best teams and try to beat them is an even greater challenge. That is what I do.” This sentence is simply magnificent.

— This is exactly my answer to people who thought I wasn’t brave enough to play for a big club. There is more pressure to play in a relegation battle, and life is no better, than in a title challenge in my opinion.

Very true. He is better suited to a team under pressure.

Very true. He is better suited to a team under pressure.

And yet he excelled in MP's team which was among the league leaders in dominating possession and controlling play. Remember plenty of occasions where he picked the ball off the CBs and played the ball through the lines. He's finding his feet in a united side that reeks of risk aversion from back to front.

Edited by shurlock

This was along the lines of what MLT said for us- Here is the interview:

Some critics argued at the time that you enjoyed a good life in Southampton without the pressures associated with playing in a top club, and that this is one reason why you stayed. I believe you replied, in what is now a historical sentence, that: “To play for the best teams is a difficult challenge. But to play against the best teams and try to beat them is an even greater challenge. That is what I do.” This sentence is simply magnificent.

— This is exactly my answer to people who thought I wasn’t brave enough to play for a big club. There is more pressure to play in a relegation battle, and life is no better, than in a title challenge in my opinion.

Le Tissier had the ambition to win trophies, but he wanted to do that with Southampton.

Ultimately, he didn't succeed in that, he didn't even get close, but he stuck it out and gave everything for Saints.

He had more ambition for his own club than most of the mercenaries that play today have in their little toe.

I don't see much difference . Both were desperate to leave . Had Lallana been refused a move , thrown his toys out of the pram but then honoured us with another year before jumping ship , that'd make him a hero would it?

People talk about Spurs , the way he's played this season he wouldn't get in their side .

Le Tissier had the ambition to win trophies, but he wanted to do that with Southampton.

Ultimately, he didn't succeed in that, he didn't even get close, but he stuck it out and gave everything for Saints.

He had more ambition for his own club than most of the mercenaries that play today have in their little toe.

True, though he also readily admitted that the pay differentials between us and the top sides wasn't as great back then as it is today.

I don't see much difference . Both were desperate to leave . Had Lallana been refused a move , thrown his toys out of the pram but then honoured us with another year before jumping ship , that'd make him a hero would it?

People talk about Spurs , the way he's played this season he wouldn't get in their side .

The reason I personally still have some respect for Morgan is that he properly knuckled down and put in one of his best seasons for us in that last season.

Contrast that with Lovren, who threatened to go on strike.

Lallana was sold, and so never got the chance to redeem himself a bit, and we'll never know if he would have carried it out when he was rumoured to have said he was never going to play for Saints again, of if he'd have played half heartedly, or if he'd have put the same effort in that Morgan did.

Agreed. He has never been given the chance to establish himself at OT. No run in the starting eleven, different partners, no coherence in the team formation and Van Gaal clearly simply doesn't like/rate him.

Think he'll move and reestablish himself at Arsenal or Spurs after a wasted year.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

If you could look at his bank statements, I believe you might find that his year wasn't entirely wasted.

The reason I personally still have some respect for Morgan is that he properly knuckled down and put in one of his best seasons for us in that last season.

Contrast that with Lovren, who threatened to go on strike.

Lallana was sold, and so never got the chance to redeem himself a bit, and we'll never know if he would have carried it out when he was rumoured to have said he was never going to play for Saints again, of if he'd have played half heartedly, or if he'd have put the same effort in that Morgan did.

Why would any ambitious player on the fringes of the England team intentionally not put everything into playing his best whichever team he might be playing in?

Why would any ambitious player on the fringes of the England team intentionally not put everything into playing his best whichever team he might be playing in?

He was ALREADY named in the squad by that point.

In fact he was away with the national team when Gerrard was doing Rodgers dirty work chatting him up.

That's what I dislike about the whole farce.

Lallana was being a little pr*ck while he was away and hiding behind agents, in between threatening the club to go on strike.

Then took out an Ad in the Daily Echo saying how close to his heart the club is.

He's an absolute t*sser.

When he played for us under Pochettino we were the team with 60%+ possession and he still looked a class player. Pochettino wanted to take him to Spurs and, despite his devious behaviour when he left, he is still a class manager, coach and judge of a footballer.

I see a lot of people can't still get over Schneiderland's heat of the moment tweet but the fact is that the entire time he played for us he never gave less that 100%.

So of the defectors from recent seasons, the only ones to finish above Saints this season are Alderweireld, Pochettino, Chambers, Oxlade-Chamberlain and... Nathan Dyer?

Nathan Dyer wasn't a defector.

I knew Nathan quite well.

The Bradly Wright-Phillips incident where Bradley basically hung Nathan out to dry RE: those Barmaids theft incident.

Was basically a LOT to do with why Nathan left.

Bradley dropped Nathan right in it.

Not a deflector at all.

Edited by Ice2Eskimos
typo

So of the defectors from recent seasons, the only ones to finish above Saints this season are Alderweireld, Pochettino, Chambers, Oxlade-Chamberlain and... Nathan Dyer?

Possibly Shaw/Schneiderlin

Edited by Jimmy_D

And Lallana/Lovren/Clyne are in the Europa League final.

So, erm, no spinning that one. They've all gone on to better things with the exception of Chambers.

They're still finishing below the team they left. If they don't win that final, I'm not sure a loser's medal would be much consolation, especially as we'd be in Europe while they're not.

Lovren's lost his place in the National Team as well, due to the same attitude he showed when engineering his move away from us.

So, Bournemouth, Sevilla and Palace to win just to put the icing on the cake. Some amazing results gone our way in the past week or two, just hope that it can carry on to the end.

If Palace win we have to go through the qualifiers again. Much rather Utd win and we get group stage qualification straight away.

So, Bournemouth, Sevilla and Palace to win just to put the icing on the cake. Some amazing results gone our way in the past week or two, just hope that it can carry on to the end.

and that keeps Wham out of Europe too :-)

It's been brilliant. I made a jokey post a few days back painting the perfect, but ridiculously unlikely scenario.

If Brighton can turn over a two goal deficit tonight, Bournemouth win tomorrow and Palace in the Cup, it's all happened. ?

It's been brilliant. I made a jokey post a few days back painting the perfect, but ridiculously unlikely scenario.

If Brighton can turn over a two goal deficit tonight, Bournemouth win tomorrow and Palace in the Cup, it's all happened.

WEll B&HA are half way there and looking good to do it.

Additionally Palace and Sevilla winning means West Ham and Liverpool miss out on Europe next season. Be funny.

OK not strictly a defector but seemed the best place. I see Brenda Rodgers is the front runner to take over at our feeder club Celtic shame they've got no good players left to buy...

Just as well.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk