We could go 8th tonight

Nordic Saint

Shame we have Puel. Poch or Koeman could easily close that 16pt gap in 2 games. Those were the days, non-stop entertainment, goals, cup finals and trophies galore!!!

Koeman would have taken that Europa place whether we were entitled to it or not, pushed someone over and taken it.

WBA seem to have got 5 points out of a possible 33 in their last 11 games, inc tonight. They seemingly got to 40 pts and just gave up.

And still sit on the same points as us

As do the might Bournemouth

Pulis always seems to see his sides down tools at 40 points

Was only a few weeks ago we were all talking about catching Everton and qualifying for Europe..... 8th is a delicious compensation

Who wants crappie Europe anyways

And to think only a few years ago entire incentive contracts were being drawn up to reward managers who finished 8th.

#newnormal

I guess you missed the half of last season were Pelle was isolated with no one around him and dropping deep then.....

That was the bit of the season where Mane was scoring the goals instead. With Pelle linking the play. Still playing to their strengths.

The only player I think Puel misused at all was Austin when he was asked to defend in the first couple of games before he was left to do what he does best. There was a lot of weirdness in the first couple of games tbh, as if Puel was teaching how to play Europa aways and the players were implementing it for Sunderland home. :o

Was only a few weeks ago we were all talking about catching Everton and qualifying for Europe...

Er, *we* were all talking about things that weren't Saints related, this season's been over since the EFL Cup Final.

8th would be good. Same finish as Poch in his first full season & one lower than Koemans in his. Oh, and neither reached a cup final.

Cue "Puel out" brigade explaining why it's different !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which of these would you prefer.....?

7th, not win a cup, play exciting football, score loads of goals, have a manager fans love.

8th, not win a cup, play exciting football, have a manager the fans and players love.

8th, not win a cup, play awful football, score next to no goals, have a manager the fans and players dislike..

I honestly fail to see why you are so keen to celebrate coming runners up in the smallest major trophy in the country, as if we've qualified for the champions league.

I'd rather finish 7th and qualify for Europe, than I would come runner up in EFL cup. Personal opinion.

I'd rather finish 7th and qualify for Europe, than I would come runner up in EFL cup. Personal opinion.

The point you're missing of course is that getting to the EFL Cup Final gives you as good a chance of making the Europa League as coming 7th, and it takes about 30 fewer matches. Plus you get a Cup Final, and you can still have a go at making the Europa League in the Premier League too, unless you're a fair bit adrift because of already being in Europe, of course.

They may be nibbles but I don't think many get hooked mind.

It'll be interesting to see the approach next season when we don't have all the extra games and some of our overseas players have bedded in a bit more and know what to expect. Remember that we can't afford to buy the finished article so would hope to benefit from improvement in our young players. Two more wins to see off this season would be nice..

This must be the lowest points 8th place finish ever, surely? (well ignoring that there are two games left of course, but i don't see anyone going over 48)

villa finished 8th with 50pts in 2001-2002. when we finished 8th in 2002-2003 we had 52pts. Spurs finished 8th on 51 in 2008-2009. Fulham finished 8th on 49 in 2010-2011, West Brom finished 8th on 49 in 2012-2013. so depending on our last two games possibly

We could actually finish only 10 points behind Everton. :scared: (Not sure what my point is but factually correct.)

Just had a tenner bet with a Bournemouth fan at work that we finish above them. Easy money.

I must have missed the sarcastic comments when Poch finished 8th.

Funny how things change, give footballer supporters a couple of decent years and they become arrogant dicks. 8th is a good finish for this club, not happened too often in 100+ years and it was good enough under Poch.

I must have missed the sarcastic comments when Poch finished 8th.

Funny how things change, give footballer supporters a couple of decent years and they become arrogant dicks. 8th is a good finish for this club, not happened too often in 100+ years and it was good enough under Poch.

Especially when we've gained more points than under Poch :rolleyes:

Especially when we've gained more points than under Poch :rolleyes:

See I'm really struggling with this new way we've found of judging seasons. I've always given my West Ham supporting mate clog because despite winning the World Cup , their highest top flight finish is 3rd, whereas ours is of course 2nd. However we got 2nd with 77 points & they were 3rd with 84 points. I'm also slightly perturbed to find that under the new Saints web system our 2nd place doesn't seem to count. The following 2 seasons we would only have finished 3rd & 4th respectively. I feel such a fool because I've spent 30 years thinking that 1983/84 was such a great season, but it turns out not to be. This new system of measuring achievement is really going to put the cat amongst the pigeons. I hope my West Ham mate doesn't catch on otherwise it'll be payback time. However he's a normal bloke not a ****ing halfwit so I'd imagine he still thinks 2nd is higher than 3rd .

Edited by Lord Duckhunter