Guido Carrillo

SuperSAINT

Would have a fit Austin over Gabbi in a second. Gabbi either doesn't fit our style or just isn't as good as we were expecting. Can't see our style of play changing any time soon so I think we may have to accept that we backed the wrong horse. We need an Austin copy - someone like Giroud.

Would have a fit Austin over Gabbi in a second. Gabbi either doesn't fit our style or just isn't as good as we were expecting. Can't see our style of play changing any time soon so I think we may have to accept that we backed the wrong horse. We need an Austin copy - someone like Giroud.

I don't get this, Gabbi was great for a those first few games when he signed. What's changed? Didn't he say somewhere (and I may be misquoting) that Puel asked him to play differently and then never recovered that form. There's a great player in there somewhere.

Monaco supporter here. We kinda like him cause he always gives 100% even not playing a lot & has finishing qualities, good movements inside the box & very good header, but outside the box he's useless, lacks pace & agility, poor technique, lacks physicality for his style of play.

Lifted from Twitter

I don't get this, Gabbi was great for a those first few games when he signed. What's changed? Didn't he say somewhere (and I may be misquoting) that Puel asked him to play differently and then never recovered that form. There's a great player in there somewhere.

Also has 3 goals this season too doesn't he ? How many minutes has he played compared to those in our team with a similar amount of goals ?

Monaco supporter here. We kinda like him cause he always gives 100% even not playing a lot & has finishing qualities, good movements inside the box & very good header, but outside the box he's useless, lacks pace & agility, poor technique, lacks physicality for his style of play.

Lifted from Twitter

Sounds like a description of Austin.

Lifted from Twitter

I suppose if he was amazing inside and outside the box he'd be worth 40m upwards. For a striker I want good movement in the box, finishing skills and excellent header, way more important than what he's useless at.

I suppose if he was amazing inside and outside the box he'd be worth 40m upwards. For a striker I want good movement in the box, finishing skills and excellent header, way more important than what he's useless at.

Ideally you'd want him to use his physicality to hold up the ball.

Lifted from Twitter

So exactly what we need then. Lovely.

French league is a completely different league to ours remember. It plays alot differently and he sounds like he's suited to ours just like Falcao for example is suited to theirs.

So exactly what we need then. Lovely.

French league is a completely different league to ours remember. It plays alot differently and he sounds like he's suited to ours just like Falcao for example is suited to theirs.

Yes, lacking pace, physicality and agility, and being useless outside the box will always make a striker ideally suited to the Premier League. To be honest, that is the most positive comment I've seen about him on any of the Monaco fans' messageboards. Most just think he lacks the skill required at the top level and that he's worth less than 5m euros.

Various club staff (including the manager) collaborate on transfers, the manager gets final approval. That's how we've done it for years.
Interesting, I just thought that Les bought them and told the manager how he wanted them to play.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

It's might not be a good signing, but it's definitely not a panic signing. This is a club getting their manager who he wants, someone he's worked with before.

Now, whether Pellegrino's judgement is to be trusted is another matter altogether.

This. The manager feels under pressure, has probably lost the respect of a few of the players so he brings in someone he knows and thinks will follow his instructions/make him look good. Some managers love using players from a previous life. Didn't WGS bring Williams and Telfer with him? Brian Clough had two or three he pretty much took everywhere with him at one time. Doesn't always work out of course.

There's stats and stats. I watch him regularly and believe me he is better than his stats. Most of his games he has played out wide for all 3 clubs, his recent burst of scoring has come after Cotterill moved him up front. If you don't believe me check out what the Blackburn fans said about him last year and what the Brum fans are saying now. I know I am biased but I genuinely believe he could have done a better job for us, but of course it is academic now because our need is urgent. Just don't think this signing is what we need. An experienced loanee might have done the trick.

Y'see. I don't know Gallagher from you (or t'other). I do know 'owt' from 'out' but nvm. If you really watch SG it is quite obvious that he is already a good player and could be ****ing good. I hope this person (who I think will find the physical side of the PL very difficult) doesn't end up keeping him out of the team: I believe SG has the higher ceiling.

Maybe you should watch some of the games our loanees play in before just 'assuming'; it's how you'd know that e.g. Stephens isn't that good in the air when challenged as it's been the same since he was at Swindon and what the standard is and whether a player shows that they can cope with it. It's also how I recognised that Sam McQueen wasn't the useless lump he appeared to be when he played in the reserves as his time at Southend showed.

Anyway, let's hope Promes is our Mane replacement and we send Redmond and Tadic the other way (because we won't need them).

Both Guido and Gabbi would be better options that Austin IMO

Yeah he has scored some, but he has missed some absolute sitters for a guy that has probably had better service than any of our team put together this season

Interesting. Two posts in a row that spout utter rubbish including an unfounded belief that an untried striker who hasn't yet signed will do better than one who when fit is our best goalscorer and has a very good record. As your location mentions spurs, are we to believe you are someone who just heard the song, liked it, but came to the wrong message board and haven't cottoned on even after 16000+ posts?

It's might not be a good signing, but it's definitely not a panic signing. This is a club getting their manager who he wants, someone he's worked with before.

Now, whether Pellegrino's judgement is to be trusted is another matter altogether.

It's not a panic buy in the sense that they've plucked him from thin air however I feel like they've had to bend over backwards for Monaco given our current circumstances. I don't think you'd see us overpaying like that unless we felt we were backed into a corner.

I don’t know much about Carillo but I do know I don’t trust Pellegrino’s judgement whatsoever. Christ on a bike the Board are taking one massive risk backing him. See how it pans out I guess, maybe this will be the turning point, but I don’t anticipate ever being glad that MP is our manager.

Lifted from Twitter

IMO it would be a good idea for the Club to ask Rickie to come in one day a week to work with him because I have concerns about MP2's tactical knowledge on how to coach a "english type centre forward".

Rickie can work on :-

- "Hold up" play.

- Using his Chest to control ball (Both Rickie and Pelle were good at that).

- Pass on information about defenders he is likely to play against what are their strengths and weaknesses etc.

- When to pull out beyond the far post and attack the cross against the full back, (most of the goals he has scored in the Youtube were headers from central positions.)

Interesting, I just thought that Les bought them and told the manager how he wanted them to play.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My understanding from an interview Les gave a few years ago is that the Black Box effectively generates a menu of players for the manager to pick from. Once a player is selected, Les goes off and talks to agents etc to see if a deal is achievable.

I guess players with the wrong attributes or who are out of our price range/too old don’t get onto the menu - and end up at West Ham ;)

For example, when we signed Hoedt, I guess Pellegrino will have gone to Les and said he’d like a tall strong left-footed centre half and Les will have shown him maybe 6 possibilities to pick from (with loads of data, videos, scouting reports etc).

That’s my understanding of how it’s supposed to work anyway.

Both Guido and Gabbi would be better options that Austin IMO

Yeah he has scored some, but he has missed some absolute sitters for a guy that has probably had better service than any of our team put together this season

Shut up you absolute bell end. Austin is the one of the best strikers in the league, when fit. He has consistently scored goals wherever he has been. Last seasons top scorer even though he missed half the season. We might not be in the situation we are in if this clown of a manager had picked him sooner

Shut up you absolute bell end. Austin is the one of the best strikers in the league, when fit. He has consistently scored goals wherever he has been. Last seasons top scorer even though he missed half the season. We might not be in the situation we are in if this clown of a manager had picked him sooner

Alright Chaz calm down you'll get another chance when your fit again !

I like Charlie but he has become a bit brittle to be reliable

Hahaha

Bet smirking ain't smirking anymore

Out of interest what is Monaco's style of play (I don't watch French football so I wouldn't have clue) do they play a similar style to us?

They’re the complete opposite - they’re adventurous and score goals for fun. Thoroughly outplayed Spurs and City in the CL last season. Were one of the funnest sides to watch. If there’s any similiarity, it’s the emphasis on wingplay, though with Monaco, it comes from the fullbacks and proper hug the touchline wingers.

Good write up here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/03/four-simple-tactics-monaco-do-exceptionally/

Edited by shurlock

There's stats and stats. I watch him regularly and believe me he is better than his stats. Most of his games he has played out wide for all 3 clubs, his recent burst of scoring has come after Cotterill moved him up front. If you don't believe me check out what the Blackburn fans said about him last year and what the Brum fans are saying now. I know I am biased but I genuinely believe he could have done a better job for us, but of course it is academic now because our need is urgent. Just don't think this signing is what we need. An experienced loanee might have done the trick.

He's not ready yet though is he. Be honest, take hus name out of it, if we signed the above striker we'd be questioning it. It's ok FF. He's allowed to not be ready yet. He's allowed to be getting vital experience bu being out on loan. It's not a personal slight on you, him or anyone else. It's simply for the good of his career and the clubs benefit in the future. I'm sure next season we'll let him fly, because you know, he'll be ready.

But right now if we had stuck him in at the start of the season for us, his confidence would be shot, he'd have less experience because there's no way he'd have played as much and we'd be sending him on loan somewhere.

You don't need take this signing so personally. The club have seen a massive flaw in our team we've had since Pelle and are backing this guy to fill it. He, Gallagher and Austin will all be around next season to compete and Gallaghers loan experience this year will put him in a better position to do so. I'm pretty sure there'll be no Long or Gabbi so he'll be able to have a good fair crack at it and hopefully he can smash it.

He's not ready yet though is he. Be honest, take hus name out of it, if we signed the above striker we'd be questioning it. It's ok FF. He's allowed to not be ready yet. He's allowed to be getting vital experience bu being out on loan. It's not a personal slight on you, him or anyone else. It's simply for the good of his career and the clubs benefit in the future. I'm sure next season we'll let him fly, because you know, he'll be ready.

But right now if we had stuck him in at the start of the season for us, his confidence would be shot, he'd have less experience because there's no way he'd have played as much and we'd be sending him on loan somewhere.

You don't need take this signing so personally. The club have seen a massive flaw in our team we've had since Pelle and are backing this guy to fill it. He, Gallagher and Austin will all be around next season to compete and Gallaghers loan experience this year will put him in a better position to do so. I'm pretty sure there'll be no Long or Gabbi so he'll be able to have a good fair crack at it and hopefully he can smash it.

Good post and pretty much sums up how I feel about SG.

Yes, lacking pace, physicality and agility, and being useless outside the box will always make a striker ideally suited to the Premier League. To be honest, that is the most positive comment I've seen about him on any of the Monaco fans' messageboards. Most just think he lacks the skill required at the top level and that he's worth less than 5m euros.

Either your French isnt very good or you’re making things up.

I always read the selling club's fan messageboards when we buy a player to see how they react. When we bought van Dijk, Celtic fans were gutted; when we bought Hooiveldt, they were over the moon. Not one Monaco fan is unhappy to see Carrillo go. The general consensus is that they'd have been happy to even get 5 million euros for Carrillo.

'5M de livres pour Carrillo . Ça va faire des heureux'

'Carrillo 20M, je ne m'en remettrai pas de celle la !'

'Carrillo , il a fait quoi ?'

As i mentioned on here a week or so back, a mate of mine is a season ticket holder at Monaco and the general consensus is that he's very good and if he can do what he does in Ligue 1 in the Premier League then we have a bargain...that was when 17.5m was the valuation. Let's not write him off yet

Bloke who’s good in the air we can boot it in the air to. Sophisticated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, similar to rickie lambert. I was over the moon the day we sold him to Liverpool and could get it down on the floor and play again.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

One of the best strikers in the league? Jesus wept.

Lifted from Twitter

Is the Monaco fan describing your son, Sam??

he is terrible

I feel sorry for Martina

He seems to be a nice chap but is getting crucified by the fans and the local rag on Merseyside.

Even the Mayor of Liverpool, Genial Joe Anderson, who has spent several millions of Council money to buy Everton's Training Ground and is prepared to 'invest' a further £250m-£300m in helping fund a new stadium for the club, went on a local radio phone- in to slate Martina (and Ashley Williams) saying they were the worst defenders ever to play for Everton.

Can you imagine a local politician acting that way down here!!

Every video that I've seen, or story I've read about him seems to say he's very similar to Austin in style rather than Lambert or Pelle.

Essentially a box player, who doesn't offer much outside the area.

Problem being, for that sort of player he doesn't seem to offer Austin's goal returns.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Guido Carrillo