Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 2436

Thread: January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

Default January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    Donít you think that it might be different if we were still in the bottom three? It isnít beyond the realms of possibility that Ralph has told the board to hold fire on new signings. There are still several days to go. Letís see what happens.
    Donít you think that puts all the pressure to the summer ?
    Perhaps wonít be here to worry about it :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Give it to Ron View Post
    Donít you think that puts all the pressure to the summer ?
    Perhaps wonít be here to worry about it :-)

I'll be pleased if we can avoid any activity in January, unless we uncover an up-and-coming player, probably FB, who could use us as a stepping stone.banything else will be wildly overpriced.

Summer is a far better time to reassess with more chance of offloading our expensive failures to free up wages and funds.

A lot can happen but then. Maybe we'll scrape survival and need to do everything possible to shake up the squad. Or maybe we'll finish comfortable mid-table or better, giving developing players chances to prove themselves in the last few games. Or an opportunity to put our rejects in the shop window.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Wait until egg sees this post. He will be here any minute to set you straight, the club have never not been straight.
    Hypo, there's a variety of reasons why Ralph has expressed a changed stance. Your guess is no more correct than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    So we've gone from definitely bringing fullbacks in to him being happy with the squad as is. Just be honest from the get go ffs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I don't think he said that he was happy with the squad....I think that he said that wouldn't scare him if he had to go to the end of the season with the current squad....not quite the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    Hypo, there's a variety of reasons why Ralph has expressed a changed stance. Your guess is no more correct than mine.
    4 day epiphanys about the ability of a fullback do happen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shroppie View Post
    I'll be pleased if we can avoid any activity in January, unless we uncover an up-and-coming player, probably FB, who could use us as a stepping stone.banything else will be wildly overpriced.

Summer is a far better time to reassess with more chance of offloading our expensive failures to free up wages and funds.

A lot can happen but then. Maybe we'll scrape survival and need to do everything possible to shake up the squad. Or maybe we'll finish comfortable mid-table or better, giving developing players chances to prove themselves in the last few games. Or an opportunity to put our rejects in the shop window.

Yep and the exact same thing was said last January. It set us up for a huge rebuilding exercise where we get the players we badly needed in. Didn't really happen did it and the same thing will happen this summer, leaving us with very obvious deficiencies once again and crossing our fingers that we don't get one long term injury or we are f*cked.

4 day epiphanys about the ability of a fullback do happen.
    ***sigh***

4 day reality checks about the available options and their expectations happen too. As I say, your guess as to what happened is no more correct than mine, and none of us know what happened.

Itís interesting why we never seem to look to the championship for a good centre back. Itís a position where you donít really need to be so technically amazing so signing a good solid no nonsense cb from the championship could make sense whilst also not being way out of our price range .. a long time ago now but remember how good dean Richards was for us?
    Also you get teams like sheff Utd,, Burnley when they did.already come up with much more solid defences then ours .

Think it’s simple really.
    Someone gives us a good price for any of our loanees or current squad players like Vestergaard, Boufal etc and then we will look at getting in a replacement.
    Basically need to raise the cash first as we are skint.

I would think our biggest worry is not getting players in but a case of another manager going as he is not backed with funds by the board AKA Ronald Koeman

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pimpin4rizeal View Post
    It’s interesting why we never seem to look to the championship for a good centre back. It’s a position where you don’t really need to be so technically amazing so signing a good solid no nonsense cb from the championship could make sense whilst also not being way out of our price range .. a long time ago now but remember how good dean Richards was for us?
    Also you get teams like sheff Utd,, Burnley when they did.already come up with much more solid defences then ours .
    I'd be absolutely amazed if we didn't scout the Championship- Che Adams pretty much puts that theory through the window. The Premier League cash on offer means that prices go through the roof.

Besides, who exactly is there this season who would genuinely improve the team and be available midseason? By all accounts Ben White has been the best in the league this season and he's on loan from Brighton...

Not sure Ben would be too keen on returning to the club that rejected him !. But that point shows our weakness in CB - heíd be a first choice candidate for us but is behind 4 others with Brightonís much better CBs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgey View Post
    Not sure Ben would be too keen on returning to the club that rejected him !. But that point shows our weakness in CB - heíd be a first choice candidate for us but is behind 4 others with Brightonís much better CBs.
    Didn't seem to be a problem for Danny Ings, Kevin Phillips or even Dennis Wise. Many would relish proving their former club wrong, especially the management of the time.

Local Dutch media are reporting that we had scouts in the stands at the Ado Den Haag V RKC Waalwijk match. Apparently we are watching ADO Den Haag forward Crysenscio Summerville, on loan from Feyenoord.

In the concourse, complaining about the concourse

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kucho View Post
    Local Dutch media are reporting that we had scouts in the stands at the Ado Den Haag V RKC Waalwijk match. Apparently we are watching ADO Den Haag forward Crysenscio Summerville, on loan from Feyenoord.
    Just looking through youtube, as you do. Fun to watch and certainly what you'd call our "type".....i.e, young, fast, cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ5x8chKLTY

For anyone thinking the January window isn't a non-event:

Of the 90 PL deals concluded so far, the vast majority are loans.

The average value of a deal is well under £1m.

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    ***sigh***

4 day reality checks about the available options and their expectations happen too. As I say, your guess as to what happened is no more correct than mine, and none of us know what happened.
    So just to be clear, "no one knows what happened" and "your guess is as good as mine" but previously you have said you believe the club has never fed information to the press, never used their press contacts to manage the message in times of pressure and have never briefed aspirations as firm intent to their press contacts. And you believe that all of the stories are just newspapers making it up and all the false hopes are the newspapers fault and the club are a helpless, innocent party.

If "no one knows what happened", how are you so sure of this?

Blog Entries

For anyone thinking the January window isn't a non-event:

Of the 90 PL deals concluded so far, the vast majority are loans.

The average value of a deal is well under £1m.

90? I only count 13 so far. Where did you find 90?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    OK, I see now. Over 70 are transfers out from the PL to lower leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    Think it was the Guardian. Can't find the link now. Includes even the smallest loans out.

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    So just to be clear, "no one knows what happened" and "your guess is as good as mine" but previously you have said you believe the club has never fed information to the press, never used their press contacts to manage the message in times of pressure and have never briefed aspirations as firm intent to their press contacts. And you believe that all of the stories are just newspapers making it up and all the false hopes are the newspapers fault and the club are a helpless, innocent party.

If "no one knows what happened", how are you so sure of this?
    Mate, you're selective in what you read. Very.

It's bizarre that you think that my opinion about the press/leaks is any way connected to my lack of opinion re the change of position re signing full backs. Jesus wept.

Ralph has expressed a different opinion re full back signings. There are many possibilities for that, many of them credible. I've said that neither I nor anyone else know why. I hope that's simple enough for you.

Re press, read what I actually said. I've said that I have no doubt that the club use the media as part of its pr machine. What I have said is that I struggle to accept that rumours in the telegraph re transfers, etc, are all a plant from the club. Others seem to think that they're all club plants and dismiss the idea that journalists get things wrong. I disagree.

Assume we may suddenly now need a RB with Cedders off injured??

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache View Post

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Doubt it. May only be a knock. Valery will be back and JWP is a good stand-in.

We have no idea as to the extent of the injury.

25. Default

Doubt it. May only be a knock. Valery will be back and JWP is a good stand-in.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with JWP as right back against more intelligent wingers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

SSN saying we’re interested in Matty Cash. Anyone know much about him? AC Milan also interested.

Quote Originally Posted by SNSUN View Post
    SSN saying we’re interested in Matty Cash. Anyone know much about him? AC Milan also interested.
    Can’t believe forest would sell him as they are firmly in promotion race.

28. Default

SSN saying weíre interested in Matty Cash. Anyone know much about him? AC Milan also interested.
    RB Leipzig made a bid for him in 2017 when Hassenhutl was their manager... Make of that what you will...

https://www.theguardian.com/football...est-matty-cash

SSN saying weíre interested in Matty Cash. Anyone know much about him? AC Milan also interested.
    Plays RB and midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    RB Leipzig made a bid for him in 2017 when Hassenhutl was their manager... Make of that what you will...

https://www.theguardian.com/football...est-matty-cash
    Interesting. Sounds hopeful

We built this city, we built this city on rock and roll

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/st...73455346618368

Leeds loan-to-buy offer for Che Adams rejected for 3rd time

We have rejected third bid for Che from Leeds. Sky. Some saying offer is 20 mill

Transfer request incoming...?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    We have rejected third bid for Che from Leeds. Sky. Some saying offer is 20 mill

Tbh I'd let him go for that.

Edit: just seen the payment is conditional on their promotion. Not sure why we would agree to that then.
    Last edited by hypochondriac; 22-01-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Matty Cash is someone I suggested many pages ago on this very thread. As I recall I said something along the lines of: he is a winger that has moved back to fullback due to injuries in that position and he has been brilliant for them, attracting much attention (he wasn't a bad winger by the way). I think Everton were strongly linked earlier in the season. I watched him at Ashton Gate and he looked composed, with a decent first touch that would enable him to play at a higher level. He didn't look to be the tallest of fellas, which I guess is normal for a fullback, but possibly worrying if exposed as Cedric has been at times. Defensively he looked pretty good to me, although Bristol City didn't offer much, so hard to say. I wouldn't say he stood out in that particular game, but I know he has in others. I'd say any scout would see a player that could probably step up a level.

Forest have money and have just sold for money, so won't be desperate to sell, especially as they may go up this season - so he won't be cheap.

Someone we should have been seriously looking at over the last couple of months, at the very least.
    Last edited by Chez; 22-01-2020 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post

So a loan deal, with a view to buy. Not sure it's worth our while unless that loan fee is huge. I wonder if an obligation to buy if they go up might be discussed. Can't see them finding £20m and stay with FFP.

Probably hinges on whether or not he wants to go, no? Personally hope he stays and comes good. Feel an Ings injury is coming

Unless we have given up on Adams, and there is nothing to suggest that, he is very much part of the match day squad then selling him makes no sense. IMHO Adams is much better than Michael Obifembi who has poor ball control. Adams was so much better when he came on last night, he holds the ball up so well and is an intelligent player.
    It really would be stupid to let him go unless he is making waves himself OR we has lined up a replacement already. I still believe Adams will come good.

Palace have signed Scott Banks from Dundee Utd: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51203216

Young player and I pretty sure we were rumoured to be interested at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    So a loan deal, with a view to buy. Not sure it's worth our while unless that loan fee is huge. I wonder if an obligation to buy if they go up might be discussed. Can't see them finding £20m and stay with FFP.
    On the one hand, no it'd be dodgy, But then, if they get him for that much, they'll probably get promoted. I doubt they'd care about a fine after that. At the moment they look very much like slipping up again.

I like Che but £20m you'd have to take really.

41. Default

Palace have signed Scott Banks from Dundee Utd: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51203216

Young player and I pretty sure we were rumoured to be interested at some point?
    Yeah. Name was mentioned for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    On the one hand, no it'd be dodgy, But then, if they get him for that much, they'll probably get promoted. I doubt they'd care about a fine after that. At the moment they look very much like slipping up again.

But it would cost us around that much to replace him though. Spend any less than that and there's no guarantee that the replacement would actually be any better.

I like Che, and I think he will only improve with more game time. Like others have said, it's not all about goals, as proven by Shlong. He has a decent touch and looks like an intelligent player too, with the ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play.

I would be very disappointed if we offloaded him to Leeds without ever getting to see his full potential.

Che got goals for Birmingham and he's got assists for us and if he had any luck he would have had goals instead of hitting woodwork. He is not a waste like Carillo and that crazy chap that bopped Fonte and he only cost half their price. I really hope we keep him unless he has set his heaert on the move. It will be a shame if he comes good for someone else and scores their winner down here.

Why would you? To finance Gao’s pension?

45. Default

Tbh I'd let him go for that.

Edit: just seen the payment is conditional on their promotion. Not sure why we would agree to that then.
    I wouldn’t recommend Saints or anyone gambling on Leeds promotion. It’s too stressful

Skybet tempted me in during the summer with a limited time price boost.

looked like it was money in the bank in mid December and I regretted not putting more on.

1 win in 8 since and it's delicately poised again.

I don't see the point in £20m when it will just disapear. I hate our ownership and how much they're holding us back, we could really go forward because we have a terrific manager here, like top level european manager in the MP mould - back him! Let him build a proper team in his way and we'd be having the time of our lives!

He's going to get bored eventually as there's only so much he can do with this group.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Clarke View Post
    I don't see the point in £20m when it will just disapear. I hate our ownership and how much they're holding us back, we could really go forward because we have a terrific manager here, like top level european manager in the MP mould - back him! Let him build a proper team in his way and we'd be having the time of our lives!

He's going to get bored eventually as there's only so much he can do with this group.
    It's a crying shame, isn't it? Ralph has energised this club so much, and the backing he is getting is questionable.

Perhaps we're waiting to get rid of some deadwood before investing properly? I doubt it, but I need some hope to cling to!

Trying to be optimistic about this transfer window and the upcoming Summer.

The more weíve been accumulating the wins this month and pushing away from 18th, the more Iíve been content on not disrupting the side and spending needless money in January when prices are stupid. (Iím hoping thatís the sort of thinking Ralph and the board have agreed on lately, but maybe Iím just trying to be too positive for a Saints Web poster)

Weíve got a long list of players that need shifting this summer again, but, being optimistic, it looks like this could be the window that we free up some much needed wage budget what with;

Yoshida not getting a game
    Cedric gone
    Long questionable to stay for another year
    Adams no doubt wanting a move by then for game-time
    Ely looking like a bargain for Celtic
    Forster seems happy up at Celtic too
    Boufal drumming up some interest and not getting much game time here
    Vestergaard not really cutting it and interest back in Germany
    Hoedt & Carrillo, god knows, hopefully some sucker might give us a couple of £m

I know thatís a long list, but Iím confident we could get rid of a good six on there. Question is, is Ralph going to be backed with some extra cash on top of the sales, or just a piddly £15m/£20m to play with from those moving on, which in terms of teams around us and what they NEED to spend in this league to keep competitive, is such a farse.

I hope we see a good window, making a good £15-£20m in sales and Ralph given £30-£50m to improve the squad, everyone else seems to have no problem splashing a little cash, hopefully weíll see a little well placed expenditure this year.

49. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GDog07 View Post
    Trying to be optimistic about this transfer window and the upcoming Summer.

The more we’ve been accumulating the wins this month and pushing away from 18th, the more I’ve been content on not disrupting the side and spending needless money in January when prices are stupid. (I’m hoping that’s the sort of thinking Ralph and the board have agreed on lately, but maybe I’m just trying to be too positive for a Saints Web poster)

We’ve got a long list of players that need shifting this summer again, but, being optimistic, it looks like this could be the window that we free up some much needed wage budget what with;

Yoshida not getting a game
    Cedric gone
    Long questionable to stay for another year
    Adams no doubt wanting a move by then for game-time
    Ely looking like a bargain for Celtic
    Forster seems happy up at Celtic too
    Boufal drumming up some interest and not getting much game time here
    Vestergaard not really cutting it and interest back in Germany
    Hoedt & Carrillo, god knows, hopefully some sucker might give us a couple of £m

I know that’s a long list, but I’m confident we could get rid of a good six on there. Question is, is Ralph going to be backed with some extra cash on top of the sales, or just a piddly £15m/£20m to play with from those moving on, which in terms of teams around us and what they NEED to spend in this league to keep competitive, is such a farse.

I hope we see a good window, making a good £15-£20m in sales and Ralph given £30-£50m to improve the squad, everyone else seems to have no problem splashing a little cash, hopefully we’ll see a little well placed expenditure this year.
    Our captain will only have a year left in the summer too.

I think we will have to sell a star player to finance further deals (it's what we do).