Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 6-1 Aston Villa

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Aston Villa (Home 2014/15)  

436 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Aston Villa (Home 2014/15)

• Gazzaniga
    • Bertrand
    • Clyne
    • Alderweireld
    • Fonte
    • Wanyama
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Davis
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Pellè
    • Yoshida
    • Djuricic
    • Elia

I notice that there were 5 pages of comments after the Leicester defeat but this great win merits barely 3 so far.

Just early days or sadly typical of our support?

For what it's worth I thought there were some excellent performances today against a rather toothless Villa. All 3 of our forwards had very good games but Long was outstanding with his selfless and skilful performance. Rodriguez will be a great addition next season.

The midfield were effective but do miss Schneiderlin.

The defence were assured even with Gazzanigia who dealt well with what little Villa could offer.

Hope still lives after today's results.

CFJwArOWYAEjV6N.png:large

No.

And besides, the ball was already headed in that picture and from memory Benteke simply outleaped Fonte.

Great header imo

It is a foul, you can't use an opponent for leverage and certainly can't do so with your hands around his neck.

Edited by Matthew Le God

It is a foul, you can't use an opponent for leverage and certainly can do so with your hands around his neck.

No it is not. Players win headers like that all the time in every game. It is a foul to push the opposing players shoulders down in a blatant way however to use their body as leverage is not a foul. Look at the way players jump for the ball - many have at least one hand out to either prevent the opposing player from jumping properly, or, if they do, use them as leverage to get to the ball. Benteke scored a great header and it was not a foul at all.

No it is not. Players win headers like that all the time in every game. It is a foul to push the opposing players shoulders down in a blatant way however to use their body as leverage is not a foul. Look at the way players jump for the ball - many have at least one hand out to either prevent the opposing player from jumping properly' date=' or, if they do, use them as leverage to get to the ball. Benteke scored a great header and it was not a foul at all.[/quote']

Refs often bottle it and allow such things which the public then go on to accept its okay in a 1970's/1980's kind of way but that doesn't make them right, by the laws of the game its a foul.

But hey... we won 6-1 so alls well.

Refs often bottle it and allow such things but that doesn't make them right, by the laws of the game its a foul.

Watch the goal and tell me where the foul is. Fonte doesn't even jump because he thinks the ball can't be met. His reaction is one of disappointment not one of asking for a foul. I could find you hundreds of still pictures taken in every game where you can suggest something is a foul but that split second that the photo was taken doesn't prove anything.

Seriously, it is not a foul.

Watch the goal and tell me where the foul is. Fonte doesn't even jump because he thinks the ball can't be met. His reaction is one of disappointment not one of asking for a foul. I could find you hundreds of still pictures taken in every game where you can suggest something is a foul but that split second that the photo was taken doesn't prove anything.

Seriously, it is not a foul.

Benteke's hands are around Fonte's neck, it doesn't matter if its a split second of time in a photo or not... they shouldn't be there... ever.

I have a sore throat this evening from singing and cheering so much. Manes record wil around for years to come and i'm happy i will be able to say I WAS THERE!

Excellent last home game of the season with some beautiful football that was reminiscent of our first half of the season form. I so want us to keep this squad together with a few quality additions. Thank you Saints for a brilliant season, so much more than most of us could have expected last summer.

The front three in particular were outstanding today, but I just couldn't believe Villa persisted with playing the high line when they were being torn apart. They were a shambles in defence but take nothing away from Saints' performance, a great way to end the home season, and still with a small chance of finishing 5th.

The thought of Mane, JayRod, Long, Pelle and a new striker (maybe Austin) next season is mouthwatering.

Among the records broken today, apparently we are the only team to have scored five goals in either half in one season, fantastic!

The Wonderful Southampton FC Family ..... from Franny's post on Twitter

Francis Benali‏@FrannyBenali·2 hrs2 hours ago

Sadio Mane scores 3 goals in 2 mins 56 secs. 2 more than I scored in 16 years!! Bet he hasn't been sent off 11 times though!!

So glad to have him and Matt back in the fold. :adore::adore::adore:

Long has the perfect balance of running around a lot to please the masses as well as a touch of skill to boot .bit of an unsung hero at times this year for me always looks up for the game and more often than not turns in a decent performance.Great to see the stadium packed and buzzing in the first half.Credit to the Villa fans who stayed certainly put a hell of more of a performance than their team did today. quietly confident for next week trust us to get spanked now aha COYR

Still hoarse from the screaming - what a great day and still haven't stopped laughing from the **** handed out to the Skate James at half time. People behind me were bristling to shout abuse at him. Back home in Villa country and my neighbour has already told me he's not speaking to me! What a fantastic performance - looking forward to my first trip to Maine Road next week with a chance of finishing fifth! Who'd have thought that when our five superstars and manager jumped ship in the Summer.

Anyone who was watching on line see if Pellé's first "goal" really was offside? Didn't look it to us over in the kingsland.

It wasn't offside - and should not have been a difficult decision for the linesman to get right, but I think he was distracted by Mane coming back from an offside position.

Funny watching Villa fans going home after 27 minutes

To be fair their fans were good. I didn't notice many (if any) empty seats in their end suring the second half. Most of those going down after the 4th were probably going to get beer.

It wasn't offside - and should not have been a difficult decision for the linesman to get right, but I think he was distracted by Mane coming back from an offside position.

Thanks. In another game that could really have mattered.

Noticeable difference today was that you could see attacking players, who were not in possession, making runs off the ball to get into much better position - that's been lacking, especially against Leicester.

Was amusing today when Mane berated someone (Clyne I think?) for NOT making the run he was expecting.

But overall, a brilliant attacking performance today, superb to watch!

Well I was disappointed and frustrated with recent performances. I wasn't with that one!

Just seen the highlights on MOTD and Villa just seemed so static each time we burst forward. I hope for another such performance to round the season off. Especially after the bindippers lost today.

Benteke's hands are around Fonte's neck, it doesn't matter if its a split second of time in a photo or not... they shouldn't be there... ever.

You must get invited to lots of parties.

Great day and result. Mane, Long and Pelle just tore Villa apart. Awful defending from Villa, Vlaar was running in treacle and some awful howlers too from his fellow defenders. People are commenting that our midfield wasn't it's usual self but I think that was more down to the tactics of exploiting Villa's high (obvious joke there) and slow back line.

Rather an optimistic week with this result, J Rod new deal and seemingly more prospect of Clyne agreeing one.

Just seen Fer's winning goal for QPR - wow. Although he's underperformed a bit, I think Ronald could get him playing at his best and wouldn't say no to him or Austin.

That was sublime.

No trip to our pub today as it was a Dry Islamic holiday here so we were scattered to the winds. Couple of the gang at SMS, couple in NYC with the US Saints, the rest of us watching from home or round friends houses.

Don't know who your BT taters were but we had Martin Tyler & Gary Neville who absolutely loved us. Even brought up the Grey shirts story. Great to see Sherwood get his tactics so wrong and let's give credit to Saints for ripping a right back in a left back role to shreds and the balls over the top.

Certainly the movement up front was back today - what a difference that makes and credit to the Villa fans that didn't do the walk of shame on camera after 25 minutes and who stayed to push SMS to such a great atmosphere. Our neighbours actually rang the doorbell to ask if everything was OK after the screams when Shane Long's 40 yarder went in!

I think today was a really important game for Gazza as well, to be out on that pitch in that buzz and "not screw up" in the eyes of the fans has to be a huge boost to his confidence. Hell Neville even said he made two "Top Class saves" in the second half ffs.

Also for the future Djkurjic showed his footballing brain with that 1-2 which I think is important in squad terms next year and then back on here to see Alpine's on the beach thread after Palace ruin StevieG's big day. Shame about Hull but honestly cannot see Villa coping with Arsenal. Wenger will watch that and will know what to do.

Bloody marvellous day, so jealous of all of you who were there

The Wonderful Southampton FC Family ..... from Franny's post on Twitter

Francis Benali‏@FrannyBenali·2 hrs2 hours ago

Sadio Mane scores 3 goals in 2 mins 56 secs. 2 more than I scored in 16 years!! Bet he hasn't been sent off 11 times though!!

So glad to have him and Matt back in the fold. :adore::adore::adore:

Haha brilliant!

Perfect day out really, beer, sun, goals. Good times.

I'm watching the recording now and it's definitely not a foul. Benteke has jumped and headed the ball before Jose backs into him.

Looked a different side to the one that strolled around at Leicester. It's thrilling the way we can play when the attitude is right. And it is most weeks. Great way to sign off at home, 2 Premier League records for Mane/Saints, goal of the season candidate from Long and European football looking likely.

Well, we've had worse days!

If that's how we play when the opposition play a high back line, then bring it on. Key to success for me was that Pelle was up for it and occupied the Villa defence, leaving Mane and Long to pick them off. We were also going for goal, which although shots were blocked, it resulted in rebounds and ricochets and we have probably the two quickest reactors around!

Good day. I was dancing in front of the TV so much my daughter left her science revision to see what all the fuss was about. :)

Hooray jrod is back to replace one of our ****ty strikers who can't score into an open net... 2 days and 'a sentence later'... **** me! good luck displacing those three jay! Maybe it is just coincidence that all our front players came good today, I like to think a lot of stars aligned today and regardless of the why, thank **** for us supporters they did.

Batman, Window Cleaner and Saint Charlie told me our players are s**t. How'd they get on today?

they were excellent yesterday.

Say it as I see it. Pelle was brilliant. THAT was him dominating a defence/defender. Something we see rarely so far.

But credit where it is due, the front 3 were absolutely brilliant in the 1st half. Granted they were aided by a high line (that remained high) and crap players but they tore them to pieces.

I really hoped Pelle got a goal as his performance really deserved it. That and being a yard onside for the one that got ruled out.

their goal, IMO was one of those you can't do little about. Benteke is a beast in those situations and Gazza had no chance.

As for Gazza, impressed with him. Gave confidence to the Back 4, looked assured. Again, little to do but what he did do, he was very assured. Looked at home in goal there.

RK obviously got his tactics bang on for this one, looked to hit their high line early and it worked a treat. Even Long said about his belter that they spoke as a team how Given sits off his line a lot due to their high defence.

how poor was Vlaar? hope we are not linked with him again.

My MoM went to Mane but could have been any of the front 3. Stunning performance from all 3 of them. Throw Jrod into that mix next season. Great stuff

they were excellent yesterday.

Say it as I see it. Pelle was brilliant. THAT was him dominating a defence/defender. Something we see rarely so far.

But credit where it is due, the front 3 were absolutely brilliant in the 1st half. Granted they were aided by a high line (that remained high) and crap players but they tore them to pieces.

I really hoped Pelle got a goal as his performance really deserved it. That and being a yard onside for the one that got ruled out.

their goal, IMO was one of those you can't do little about. Benteke is a beast in those situations and Gazza had no chance.

As for Gazza, impressed with him. Gave confidence to the Back 4, looked assured. Again, little to do but what he did do, he was very assured. Looked at home in goal there.

RK obviously got his tactics bang on for this one, looked to hit their high line early and it worked a treat. Even Long said about his belter that they spoke as a team how Given sits off his line a lot due to their high defence.

how poor was Vlaar? hope we are not linked with him again.

My MoM went to Mane but could have been any of the front 3. Stunning performance from all 3 of them. Throw Jrod into that mix next season. Great stuff

Good summary; and on the subject of Gazza, given the importance of next Sunday's game, why not start with Gazza and bring Kelvin on late in the game to rack up 300 appearances. Yes, Vlaar was unrecognizable from the superb World Cup defender 12 mths ago.