Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 6-1 Aston Villa

Saint-Armstrong

MotM vs Aston Villa (Home 2014/15)  

436 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Aston Villa (Home 2014/15)

• Gazzaniga
    • Bertrand
    • Clyne
    • Alderweireld
    • Fonte
    • Wanyama
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Davis
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Pellè
    • Yoshida
    • Djuricic
    • Elia

Noticeable difference today was that you could see attacking players, who were not in possession, making runs off the ball to get into much better position - that's been lacking, especially against Leicester.

Was amusing today when Mane berated someone (Clyne I think?) for NOT making the run he was expecting.

But overall, a brilliant attacking performance today, superb to watch!

Ward-Prowse got scolded once too.

Batman, Window Cleaner and Saint Charlie told me our players are s**t. How'd they get on today?

I haven't ever said that anyone is **** apart from Gazzaniga. Haha. I have said that Long was a poor signing for what we paid. He was outstanding yesterday to be fair. But I still feel we massively overpaid for him. JWP I feel needs to kick on.

Aside from that the players who play regularly are quality and Ive never said any different.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Hopefully most people were still out down the pub celebrating;)

Pubs around town were very busy after the game. Good to see most people stay in the ground to applaud the team on their lap of whatever it's called.

It's amazing how KP scores 356 against a poor county team and he's the greatest.

Saints played a very, very poor team and now Mane is God, Long is amazing and Pelle is class.

Lets just remember we struggled against Leicester and Sunderland recently.

It's amazing how KP scores 356 against a poor county team and he's the greatest.

Saints played a very, very poor team and now Mane is God, Long is amazing and Pelle is class.

Villa had been in superb form winning 4 of their last 5 including wins over Spurs away and Liverpool..who we managed to get 1 point off combined this season...also West Ham and Everton which aren't easy game...their only loss was 3-2 away to Man City (in the 90th minute)...they had been playing VERY well recently and we tore them a new one.

Edited by B Rabbit

Fantastic watch in the Northam sunshine and a great end to the season at home. Well done to the lads! Funniest moment for me was Gazza in the second half trying to get Jose's attention and then giving him a rollicking for a small mistake. I can imagine what Jose thought about that!

That was a better performance than Sunderland at home. How effective is pace when teams play a high line and leave such space between full backs and centre backs. I question why Sherwood didnt change it. He surely will against Arsenal. How ineffective is pace when teams sit back, e.g. Agbonlahor when he came on. The other big difference from Leicester was we were much more aggressive from the start.

What does annoy me slightly, is that if this was a Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal play, MOTD would have made a huge thing about it. It is massive, but went on about being gifted by Villa. Mane still had to put the ball in the net. There are many defensive errors that do not lead to the ball ending up in the net.

What does annoy me slightly, is that if this was a Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal play, MOTD would have made a huge thing about it. It is massive, but went on about being gifted by Villa. Mane still had to put the ball in the net. There are many defensive errors that do not lead to the ball ending up in the net.

I thought the comments were quite fair. It was a bit of both, like Shearer said.

Fantastic performance by the whole team, however I do have doubts about Gazza still - rooted to the spot for their goal...a top class keeper would have at least attempted a save and its not the first time he's been like a statue. The front three were all great but Mane was the catalyst...his persistence drove the rest of them on. No one can deny we deserve European stage.

You're kidding me. They pretty much outsung us for the full 90.

No they didn't. They started off in very good voice and mocked us with their "is this a library" chant. They were impressive until Mane's hat trick silenced them and then it was us chanting "is this a library" back in their faces. Their goal came too close to half-time and even having scored, there was scarcely a murmur from them. Had the goal come in the first few minutes of the second half, their support might have built some momentum, but they had 15 minutes to contemplate how sh*t they had been, so there was a sombre acceptance that they would get nothing from the match. Apart from the gallows humour "we're going to win 5-4 and then 6-5, they never really made much noise during the second half apart from consoling themselves with their chant about them going to Wembley.

I don't know where you sit, but from across the pitch in the family stand, one gets a fair idea of how the other side of the pitch sounds.

I thought the comments were quite fair. It was a bit of both, like Shearer said.

But they would have been raving about it, if it was a Man U, Arsenal or Liverpool player. Yes they are right it was a mixture of both, but still a hat-trick in 2.5 minutes!

No they didn't. They started off in very good voice and mocked us with their "is this a library" chant. They were impressive until Mane's hat trick silenced them and then it was us chanting "is this a library" back in their faces. Their goal came too close to half-time and even having scored, there was scarcely a murmur from them. Had the goal come in the first few minutes of the second half, their support might have built some momentum, but they had 15 minutes to contemplate how sh*t they had been, so there was a sombre acceptance that they would get nothing from the match. Apart from the gallows humour "we're going to win 5-4 and then 6-5, they never really made much noise during the second half apart from consoling themselves with their chant about them going to Wembley.

I don't know where you sit, but from across the pitch in the family stand, one gets a fair idea of how the other side of the pitch sounds.

I'm in the family stand. Their fans were better than ours apart from the 20 mins before half time.

So, before I moved to Southampton I grew up in Birmingham, and my very very good friend is a massive Villa fan - season ticket holder for all of his adult life. So we organise to go to the footie together twice a year. He organised the tickets (in the Southampton bit, not the away stands because he's a gent). And then I sat next to him as Saints demolished them. Wow, that was a hard first half. Me, barely contained glee, him, suffering quite obviously. A hard day for our friendship, but looks like results have favoured Villa. What a first 45 though. Mané deserves every plaudit - two open goals, but if he didn't have the hunger to get there.. Superb. It's a fine end to a fine season.

Had a scan of "Villatalk's" match day thread. Unsurprisingly, they were going mental, particularly with Vlaar, Tim's refusal to change the high line and more surprisingly, Given.

I thought Given was their MoM, there wasnt a lot he could of done about the goals but he got in the way for most. The lucky bounces for us were unlucky for him.

Fantastic performance by the whole team, however I do have doubts about Gazza still - rooted to the spot for their goal...a top class keeper would have at least attempted a save and its not the first time he's been like a statue. The front three were all great but Mane was the catalyst...his persistence drove the rest of them on. No one can deny we deserve European stage.

Niemi was a top class keeper and watched more than his fair share that he clearly wasn't getting near.

Gazzaniga's best game for Saints by a million miles and great to see his improvement translating into the first team. For the first time he looks like he might have potential after all.

I'm in the family stand. Their fans were better than ours apart from the 20 mins before half time.

So you agree that they didn't out-sing us for the full 90 minutes as Sour Mash believes? They did pick up a bit in the second half for a while when we sat back and let them on to us a bit more, but IMO it was a bit half-hearted, lacking conviction that they would actually turn things around. We picked it up a bit with the "Oles" and the "standup if you love the Saints." They were lucky that they had the upcoming FA Cup final to give themselves something to sing about as consolation, otherwise they would have had nothing to chant about.

Had a scan of "Villatalk's" match day thread. Unsurprisingly, they were going mental, particularly with Vlaar, Tim's refusal to change the high line and more surprisingly, Given.

Vlaar was really awful yesterday, wonder if he's already signed for us for next season. It takes a lot of effort to be as bad as he was.

Seen a tweet that the gap between the goals in actual play was only 64 seconds! That's amazing and surely the only way that the 2 mins 56 secs will ever get broken is if someone scores against their old club and doesn't celebrate?

Or scores three goals more quickly.

Seen a tweet that the gap between the goals in actual play was only 64 seconds! That's amazing and surely the only way that the 2 mins 56 secs will ever get broken is if someone scores against their old club and doesn't celebrate?

Or gets a hat-trick at the backend of an absolute rout of the opposition. Celebrations are unnecessary and a bit tinpot.

So you agree that they didn't out-sing us for the full 90 minutes as Sour Mash believes? They did pick up a bit in the second half for a while when we sat back and let them on to us a bit more, but IMO it was a bit half-hearted, lacking conviction that they would actually turn things around. We picked it up a bit with the "Oles" and the "standup if you love the Saints." They were lucky that they had the upcoming FA Cup final to give themselves something to sing about as consolation, otherwise they would have had nothing to chant about.

There aren't many sets of fans who would outsing the others for 90 minutes in this country. Strangely one of the most one-sided matches I saw for that this season was when Cambridge put in nearly 90mins solid against the normally excellent Man Utd away fans who were near silent.

Villa outsung us on the whole yesterday. I do agree about the cup final helping as they would definitely not have made as much noise without that.

Our fans were fine yesterday. The stand up bit included the whole ground which was good.

I thought it was good from where I was in block 36 especially liked when we changed the words to the song they were singing to reflect their performance haha

they were excellent yesterday.

Say it as I see it. Pelle was brilliant. THAT was him dominating a defence/defender. Something we see rarely so far.

But credit where it is due, the front 3 were absolutely brilliant in the 1st half. Granted they were aided by a high line (that remained high) and crap players but they tore them to pieces.

I really hoped Pelle got a goal as his performance really deserved it. That and being a yard onside for the one that got ruled out.

their goal, IMO was one of those you can't do little about. Benteke is a beast in those situations and Gazza had no chance.

As for Gazza, impressed with him. Gave confidence to the Back 4, looked assured. Again, little to do but what he did do, he was very assured. Looked at home in goal there.

RK obviously got his tactics bang on for this one, looked to hit their high line early and it worked a treat. Even Long said about his belter that they spoke as a team how Given sits off his line a lot due to their high defence.

how poor was Vlaar? hope we are not linked with him again.

My MoM went to Mane but could have been any of the front 3. Stunning performance from all 3 of them. Throw Jrod into that mix next season. Great stuff

Mane still not worth the money we paid?

I'm not buying that the Villa fans outsang us for long periods, let alone the whole match. Despite spells of them being very loud, it certainly wasn't incessant. Not to mention their near-silence between Mane's first goal and Benteke's. There were also quite a few occasions where we turned their chants back at them with different words and completely took over, noise-wise. Some baffled faces in their section when that happened.

Still, fair play to those that took the opportunity to turn it into a bit of a party towards the end. What else can you do in the circumstances?

As a Saints fan, you really couldn't ask for much more from a final home fixture.

Why? Best forgotten

The tactic of asking Mane to stay vertical seems to have paid dividends

Absolutely agree - he could easily have tried going down in build up to first goal, but was rewarded for keeping on his feet. He has good strength on the ball, so hope he keeps using it like he did in this game. The speed of his reaction to the rebound on the second goal was also superb, and great finish for the third.

Was a great day all round - really good to finish at home on such a high note after the disappointments in recent weeks. Whatever happens next weekend, 60 points is a brilliant achievement after everything that happened last summer.

Watching the goals back again and even though Long's was a superb solo effort the Pelle goal just oozes class from start to finish,I know he has doubters but I reckon Djuricic has potential to be a really good player,if the price is right I really hope we sign him

I haven't ever said that anyone is **** apart from Gazzaniga. Haha. I have said that Long was a poor signing for what we paid. He was outstanding yesterday to be fair. But I still feel we massively overpaid for him. JWP I feel needs to kick on.

Aside from that the players who play regularly are quality and Ive never said any different.

Sorry Charlie, but I don't think you can say a player was outstanding and still doubt that he was worth buying. Yesterday, Shane Long not only scored two goals but made two of Mané's three. His role in the third goal was world class. Long got the ball in his own half and deceived two Villa defenders with a clever flick between his legs. He then made a blistering run down the wing with a one-two on the way, ending with a pin-point cross for Sadio to put the ball in the net. My only complaint about Long is that he hasn't been given enough playing time.

Sorry Charlie, but I don't think you can say a player was outstanding and still doubt that he was worth buying. Yesterday, Shane Long not only scored two goals but made two of Mané's three. His role in the third goal was world class. Long got the ball in his own half and deceived two Villa defenders with a clever flick between his legs. He then made a blistering run down the wing with a one-two on the way, ending with a pin-point cross for Sadio to put the ball in the net. My only complaint about Long is that he hasn't been given enough playing time.

The main problem with Long is that he hasn't done that consistently enough.

Watching the goals back again and even though Long's was a superb solo effort the Pelle goal just oozes class from start to finish,I know he has doubters but I reckon Djuricic has potential to be a really good player,if the price is right I really hope we sign him

Yeah, that was a sublime flick during the one-two with Mane - Tadic the only other midfielder in the squad who has that kind of touch and invention. Not had enough game time to warrant meeting the reported buy-out fee though.

The main problem with Long is that he hasn't done that consistently enough.

You could also argue that he hasn't really been given a consistent run in the team. I've always liked Long, unsettles defenders when he plays because of his direct running. I think he's on 8 or 9 goals for the season in all comps, and given his somewhat bit part role for most of the season, I don't think it's a bad return.