Saints 2 Leicester 2 Match Reaction

Mr X

Happy with the result.... thought we were going to lose this as Leicester have been pretty good... 1st have we were quite good, 2nd half midfield dissapeared and Leicester chucked wave after wave at us, without us seeiming able to get a foot on the ball...

Said before i'd take a point... 2nd half performance of us (and the shyte ref) was appaling though.

would almost think that we were the away team in that second half. feels like a defeat. just didn't understand the players at times- Mane with some odd decisions, Kelvin with abysmal kicking... I could continue.

Oh well- it is what is is, points a point.

We were by far the 2nd best side. They should have won that.

Good side Leicester.

Never rated vardy much but can see why he is in the England squad. Nightmare of a player

A point gained for us given how bad we were

Yoshida was crap. Kelvin was not much better. Both as expected

Clasie looked well off the pace. But guess he would be.

Thought the subs made us worse

I hope it was just S. Davis was just knackered for the international break, because the tide turned when he went out. Terrible strategic move.

And the JRod substitution for Tadic made absolutely NO sense. Romeu was the choice there for JWP. What JRod has to offer was not what we were needing.

What a pathetic second half and some questionable subs by Koeman.

We badly needed someone who can win the ball and keep it in midfield. JWP is never ever going to be able to play that role. Should of changed it so Romeu came on to sure up the midfield and took Prowse off. Bringing Jay Rod on when we were under the cosh was just stupid.

That's what fitness and work rate look like. Leicester are a Top 8 side this season and more teams will be "Leicestered", just as we were.

It wasn't that we played poorly, it was because they out-ran and out-worked us throughout the second half. Props to them and Ranieri for his half time adjustments.

And people can take the p*ss out of Vardy all they like but there are few strikers harder to keep out of the game than him. He was just like that with Fleetwood and that kind of aggressive running works at this level as well.

Played the entire second half like there was 1 minute left and just kept hoofing the ball, no players wanted to actually control the ball at any point

This then left pelle so isolated

Substitutions certainly didn't help at all

No idea who our best player was

We were lucky to come away with a draw, barely remember us holding the ball in the second, could really see the nerves creep in.

Pluses: Clasie is a good option to have (when he get's up to speed), we look dangerous from set pieces, we got a point, we're in the top half of the table which is decent considering our start.

Minuses: The second half, the decision not to bring Romeu on, Long not being an option (he would have been ideal to try and hold up the ball and push us back up the pitch), KD - been a brilliant servant to the club but we all know he's just not premier league class anymore.

We move on ...

I hope it was just S. Davis was just knackered for the international break, because the tide turned when he went out. Terrible strategic move.

And the JRod substitution for Tadic made absolutely NO sense. Romeu was the choice there for JWP. What JRod has to offer was not what we were needing.

Beginning to feel Koeman has no clue about substitutions, can count on one hand the amount of times his substitutions have made any difference to the game & often takes the totally wrong player off, I know we had injuries today

That's what fitness and work rate look like. Leicester are a Top 8 side this season and more teams will be "Leicestered", just as we were.

It wasn't that we played poorly, it was because they out-ran and out-worked us throughout the second half. Props to them and Ranieri for his half time adjustments.

And people can take the p*ss out of Vardy all they like but there are few strikers harder to keep out of the game than him. He was just like that with Fleetwood and that kind of aggressive running works at this level as well.

Agree

Vardy was excellent

If they'd scored twice in the first half and we'd come back to 2-2 we'd be calling it a cracking point. As it is it's not a bad point against a team in form, and the stats alone show Leicester were the better team. Hope the Fonte and Cedric injuries aren't bad.

Knowing what Leicester are capable of with comebacks this season, I had a look at half time on a 2-2 result, it was 90-1. I was tempted by that. Kicking myself now...

Take that against a resilient side. Scored from two setpieces (of sorts); but otherwise didn't test Schmeichel.

It's a feature of the way we play that we don't dominate teams or control possession; so we always leave the door open and are vulnerable to changes in momentum.

Koeman's substitutions were awful. Clasie very very poor - certainly was not the game for him to be introduced into, especially with Romeu on the bench. Rodriguez substitution very confusing. If he can't kick beyond the half way line then, as much as I value all he has done for us, Davis needs to retire

Koeman's substitutions were awful. Clasie very very poor - certainly was not the game for him to be introduced into, especially with Romeu on the bench. Rodriguez substitution very confusing. If he can't kick beyond the half way line then, as much as I value all he has done for us, Davis needs to retire

Whats wrong with Stek?

Substitutions were poor, but they weren't the reason we dropped points as Leicester started battering us right from the start of the second half. Mahrez in particular just completely dominated whoever he came up against and played some really lovely stuff. We definitely seem to be a side who rely on having a single outlet, both when we're on top of games and when we're under the cosh, and if that outlet ball to Pelle is cut off for some reason, we really struggle to find a way back into games.

What a frustrating match - horrible 2nd half viewing with us hanging on and barely able to put two passes together and get out of our own half.

Strange substitutions - Clasie for his first appearance wasn't what was needed against a fired up and determined Leicester side who were battering us. Romeu surely would have made much more sense? JayRod too has been poor and offered nothing on the left, although nobody really played well 2nd half.

Credit to Leicester, though - what a hardworking side who never give up.

We did play poorly though . We were disjointed and unable to make decisive passes quickly . We looked tired and uninterested in the second half . Stupid passes to no one .

The subs made no sense what so ever .

Pains me to say Davis should have stayed on . Clasie offered nothing at all .

Koeman will no doubt make his excuses but his subs really screwed us today .

How can experienced players suddenly play like a cub scout team ?

Vardy was fantastic . Type of player we have not had for years

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Thought the subs made us worse

Subs did make us worse. For me that was not the time to bring on a player who had never played in the Prem before and would therefore very likely not be attuned to the pace of said league.

We were the better side first half, them 2nd. 2 2 seems fair enough in the circumstances. KD - as much as I think he is a great bloke and servant to the club etc - distribution is utterly appalling. Please never again in the first team.

We should have subbed on Romeu instead of J-Rod IMHO. We put on another outlet when control was needed. Would also have allowed Clasie to press further forward.

I cannot fathom why Wanyama was left on beyond the ~25 minute mark. Okay, that's slightly fatuous, but he should've been off at HT. Once he was booked/injured, he was a spent force, and continued the rest of the game as a (nigh on) passenger. Walked so freckin' much. It felt like such an obvious and necessary change. Romeu should've played the entirety of the second half, f'sure.

Poor 1st 20 mins, then the better side without pulling up any trees. Davis shaky (no surprise).

Worst 2nd half I can remember, lack of desire, tactically poor, passing appalling, sititng too deep, poor subs, Davis shaky again.

what a contrast from the complete opposite to Chelsea. Leicester great 2nd half and should have won

Subs did make us worse. For me that was not the time to bring on a player who had never played in the Prem before and would therefore very likely not be attuned to the pace of said league.

We were the better side first half, them 2nd. 2 2 seems fair enough in the circumstances. KD - as much as I think he is a great bloke and servant to the club etc - distribution is utterly appalling. Please never again in the first team.

Well, I don;t think we have an alternative to KD, when Stecklenburg is injured.

would almost think that we were the away team in that second half. feels like a defeat. just didn't understand the players at times- Mane with some odd decisions, Kelvin with abysmal kicking... I could continue.

Oh well- it is what is is, points a point.

Are we allowed to pass judgement of Davis now? ;)

Beginning to feel Koeman has no clue about substitutions, can count on one hand the amount of times his substitutions have made any difference to the game & often takes the totally wrong player off, I know we had injuries today

That's probably because you can't count with two :p

1 makeshift right back, 1 39 year old goalkeeper (Loved him in his day, but even Kelvin will admit he does not expect to be starting nowadays!), 2 players who are coming back from injury, 1 of whom is new to the league. Against a fired up team who are on top.

Given these facts, I'm amazed that we drew! However, Koeman should have acted differently.

Be interested to hear the timescale for our injuries. and hopefully 7 days of training can stop the media ****ing over klopp next weekend.

Well, I don;t think we have an alternative to KD, when Stecklenburg is injured.

Oh don;t you Dalek one? ;/ You are correct but we should not be in a position where we have no alternative but to play a geriatric goalkeeper (who wasn't up to it when he was in his prime) when our first choice is injured.

Poor allround but both goals, if you go back 30 seconds, come from awful kicks from Davis and from the first minute he made the defence nervous and basically couldn't kick the ball beyond the halfway line all game.

With Stekelenburg in goal we would win that game.

Still utterly amazes me that in four years we havent sorted the 2nd keeper issue and have probably the worst backup in the whole league.

If Gazzaniga isn't a better keeper than a 39 yo Davis then he shouldn't have been given a new contract.

Cruel to watch a great servant being asked to play at a level he doesn't have within him but its been a weak area for ages.

Edited by Saint Charlie

We were lucky to come away with a draw, barely remember us holding the ball in the second, could really see the nerves creep in.

Pluses: Clasie is a good option to have (when he get's up to speed), we look dangerous from set pieces, we got a point, we're in the top half of the table which is decent considering our start.

Minuses: The second half, the decision not to bring Romeu on, Long not being an option (he would have been ideal to try and hold up the ball and push us back up the pitch), KD - been a brilliant servant to the club but we all know he's just not premier league class anymore.

We move on ...

He never has been to be fair, yet even once we got Boruc we never bothered to get a decent back up keeper and it continues to cost us until this day. **** poor kick out which lead to their 2nd goal, and you could tell the defence were nervy with him behind them.

Can't lay all the blame on Kelvin though, we were shocking for the majority of that match and are lucky to have come away with a point. Huge tactical mistake by Ronald bringing on Clasie for Davis, as well as failing to alter the formation to match Leicester, we had no midfield whatsoever in that second half.

Called 2-2 before the game, ****ed off with the manner in which it happened.

He never has been to be fair, yet even once we got Boruc we never bothered to get a decent back up keeper and it continues to cost us until this day. **** poor kick out which lead to their 2nd goal, and you could tell the defence were nervy with him behind them.

Can't lay all the blame on Kelvin though, we were shocking for the majority of that match and are lucky to have come away with a point. Huge tactical mistake by Ronald bringing on Clasie for Davis, as well as failing to alter the formation to match Leicester, we had no midfield whatsoever in that second half.

Called 2-2 before the game, ****ed off with the manner in which it happened.

Davis had taken a knock

Poor allround but both goals, if you go back 30 seconds, come from awful kicks from Davis and from the first minute he made the defence nervous and basically couldn't kick the ball beyond the halfway line all game.

With Stekelenburg in goal we would win that game.

Still utterly amazes me that in four years we havent sorted the 2nd keeper issue and have probably the worst backup in the whole league.

If Gazzaniga isn't a better keeper than a 39 yo Davis then he shouldn't have been given a new contract.

Cruel to watch a great servant being asked to play at a level he doesn't have within him but its been a weak area for ages.

Davis is 3rd choice