Arsenal Build Up

Toomer

The feel's much the same as last Christmas if I recall rightly - pessimism, a deluded belief that we'd never turn our form around, thoughtlessly blaming the board/manager for poor signings like Sadio Mane.

Groundhog Day? On the SaintsWeb Forum? Surely not....

Interesting stat I've just seen. The top four teams in terms of average number of shots on goal from within the penalty area this season are :

1. Arsenal. 10.4

2. Southampton. 9.1

3. Man City. 8.6

4. Liverpool. 8.1

This would suggest not only that we're in for a tough time on Boxing Day but also that our overall team play is a lot better than some fans on here would have us believe.

Our problems are not in creating chances, they're in taking those chances and not conceding stupid goals at the other end.

Tottenham game was just like this. Thought we were the better team all over the pitch except for the two penalty areas which is of course where it really counts.

Upside of this is that it shouldn't take a lot to sort out. Expect us to lose to Arrsenal but then go on a run .

Good point. We need a really quick mobile, confident striker. Will the board spend the dosh on Charlie Austin ?

The feel's much the same as last Christmas if I recall rightly - pessimism, a deluded belief that we'd never turn our form around, thoughtlessly blaming the board/manager for poor signings like Sadio Mane.

But we kicked out of the slump before Christmas last year although it's true that we lost 4 on the trot, both Manchester clubs at home, Arsenal away and surprisingly Burnley, we were also far better placed before the slump started. This season we've lost 4 out of our last 5 in the league, with a miserable home draw in the other game and have suffered that ignominious defeat at home by Liverpool in the league cup, a defeat which seems to have totally demoralised many a fan.

hey mate, what do think the score will be on sat. and what is your thinking behind it?

2-2 mate, trying to be optimistic :thumbup: but i guess its more likely to be a loss.

Arsenal have proven that they know where the net is and we just need some of our chances to go in

If we can score early it will give us the confidence we are lacking at the moment as i dont feel we are playing too badly

gong forward just need to be clinical when it matters and cut out the mistakes at the back.

However if we concede early it might be a long night of pain :eek:

I think a key difference to last year is the defence (and by that, I don't just mean the back 4/5, I mean defensively as a team). During our pre Xmas slump last year we hardly scored any goals, but we were pretty solid at the back. This year, we are nowhere near as solid, which I guess you won't be when you lose Morgan, Toby and Clyne and have Wanyama t*ssing it off.

Interesting insight into Leicester, Kasper Schmeicel on Sky. We went back to trying what we did in the Championship and it's working. We are NOT a possession team. The front players play off the shoulder of the defenders and the ball is put into the space behind them, where the forwards want it. We win it and get it up to them quickly.

We on the other hand pass it around slowly, allow the opponents to close down the space in their half and outnumber our few players that get up front. Or we hit Pelle who is struggling to win the ball with precious little support. We have loads of shots ie Villa, 23 only five on target and a goal from a corner that everybody misses except Romeu at the far post.

In my view we need more of Leicester and less of Poundland Tika Taka as coined by Verlaine 79 which nails it for me. Or Souness slaughtering Swansea, passing for the sake of passing. 651 passes 2 shots on target 0-0.

Interesting insight into Leicester, Kasper Schmeicel on Sky. We went back to trying what we did in the Championship and it's working. We are NOT a possession team. The front players play off the shoulder of the defenders and the ball is put into the space behind them, where the forwards want it. We win it and get it up to them quickly.

We on the other hand pass it around slowly, allow the opponents to close down the space in their half and outnumber our few players that get up front. Or we hit Pelle who is struggling to win the ball with precious little support. We have loads of shots ie Villa, 23 only five on target and a goal from a corner that everybody misses except Romeu at the far post.

In my view we need more of Leicester and less of Poundland Tika Taka as coined by Verlaine 79 which nails it for me. Or Souness slaughtering Swansea, passing for the sake of passing. 651 passes 2 shots on target 0-0.

We're not Swansea, though. None of the numbers support your idea that we're obsessively focussed on keeping possession. We're bang in the middle of most possession-related categories. We're equally happy to go long and hit Pelle early, if need be. That's not to say, there aren't problems with our attacking play. But passing for passing's sake is not really a major one. It's not surprising: you like your football nice and basic, "in the mixer and down the channels" and judge everything else accordingly.

We're not Swansea, though. None of the numbers support your idea that we're obsessively focussed on keeping possession. We're bang in the middle of most possession-related categories. We're equally happy to go long and hit Pelle early, if need be. That's not to say, there aren't problems with our attacking play. But passing for passing's sake is not really a major one. It's not surprising: you like your football nice and basic, "in the mixer and down the channels" and judge everything else accordingly.

I don't like passing it sideways and backwards, getting closed down and back to the keeper to launch it. I want to see passing but I want to see the passing going forward with midfield players getting forward to help the attackers and incisive passing not the easy option.

I don't like passing it sideways and backwards, getting closed down and back to the keeper to launch it. I want to see passing but I want to see the passing going forward with midfield players getting forward to help the attackers and incisive passing not the easy option.

We simply don't have or cannot afford players who look up and play the ball forward more often than not. More realistic perhaps is a player who can run with the ball at speed from more central positions and get beyond the attackers. Also a bit more movement between Tadic, Pelle and Mané wouldn't go amiss.

But by definition, less talented players take more touches, have a more limited passing range and need more time on the ball to see things develop.

As for Davis, he's not meant to be a no.10: Koeman would rather a utility player who can track back and link midfield and attack than a truly offensive-minded AM. That's Koeman's trade-off -as it indeed was MP's.

Unless you can find a no.10 who takes his defensive responsibilities seriously or is extremely consistent, that will continue to be the case as long as compact, pragmatic football is the order of the day.

We simply don't have or cannot afford players who look up and play the ball forward more often than not. More realistic perhaps is a player who can run with the ball at speed from more central positions and get beyond the attackers. Also a bit more movement between Tadic, Pelle and Mané wouldn't go amiss.

But by definition, less talented players take more touches, have a more limited passing range and need more time on the ball to see things develop.

As for Davis, he's not meant to be a no.10: Koeman would rather a utility player who can track back and link midfield and attack than a truly offensive-minded AM. That's Koeman's trade-off -as it indeed was MP's.

Unless you can find a no.10 who takes his defensive responsibilities seriously or is extremely consistent, that will continue to be the case as long as compact, pragmatic football is the order of the day.

Koeman has to find an answer and can't afford this safety first negative thinking or we will be in a relegation scrap before we know it. We need to be more positive, raise the tempo and put teams under pressure if we don't we aren't going to win very often.

Apart from a wild clearance into the Itchen Gazza didn't do much wrong.It was the people in front of him that didn't appear to have a clue.Kane should have been clattered before he even got the ball near the 18 yard box.You can't blame the keeper for defensive incompetence.We gifted a very poor Spuds team two simple goals and then couldn't respond.Lets see what sort of squad RK selects for Saturday.My hopes are not high for this one but knowing football we could even win!!!

What exactly did he do wrong then? Were u even at St Marys?? Could do nothing with the goals. Blame the muppets in front of him, Cedric mainly

Technically I still think he's suspect. Couple that with moment where he barely got away with delaying far too long coming out to sweep up what should have been a simple through ball. So yeah while he's shown signs of improvement and wasn't to blame for the goals he's not the level of the keepers we signed to be first choice.

I see Jack Stephens is back.

Wonder if ge will be part of the match day squad?

Also in the arsenal preview, Koeman indicated he let his emotions go a little bit after the spurs game.

He doesn t think there are a lot of physical options in the squad so expect a similar side to the spurs game.

Not sure this is the right way to go, we need to refresh the team a little.

Drop Wanyama, get harry reed and Gaston involved even if it is from the bench. I would also start Juanmi

Can see us getting smashed 4-0 I currently have no faith in Koeman or some of the dross in this team. Wanyama benched? Forget that sell him pronto lets have more youth in the team aswell and give Gaston a run out! One of our most creative players and doesnt get a look in.... Where is the logic in that?........

But we kicked out of the slump before Christmas last year although it's true that we lost 4 on the trot, both Manchester clubs at home, Arsenal away and surprisingly Burnley, we were also far better placed before the slump started. This season we've lost 4 out of our last 5 in the league, with a miserable home draw in the other game and have suffered that ignominious defeat at home by Liverpool in the league cup, a defeat which seems to have totally demoralised many a fan.

We're having a worse season than last year, don't get me wrong, but the inability to see form as temporary remains the same.

Got a weird feeling that we'll win this one. Out of the blue excellent performance to get our season back on track. 2-1 Saints.

This.

And I don't know why.

Ron needs a win, it's not a likely scenario but it could happen. I've got a good feeling about this one.

I see Jack Stephens is back.

Wonder if ge will be part of the match day squad?

Where have you seen that, don't see it anywhere online? Wouldn't have thought he could be selected until January anyway within the terms of his loan agreement, even if it has been terminated?

Where have you seen that, don't see it anywhere online? Wouldn't have thought he could be selected until January anyway within the terms of his loan agreement, even if it has been terminated?

He is in the Koeman pre-match interview training video. But you are almost certainly correct that he cannot play until 16. Thought this had probably happened as he has not been in a Boro squad recently.

Absolutely disgusted by this. I know several ST holders who can't go because of this. 11:00 in the morning or not at all.

Totally agree. Call me old-fashioned but Boxing Day games should be no later than 3pm. The evening is family time.

Travel home after the evening kick-off means driving and for long-distance fans that is unlikely to be the way they want to spend Boxing Night.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I'm fast starting to hate Wanyama and just want us to get rid of him as quickly as possible. He reminds me of Kenwyne Jones a sulking stomping his feet baby who believes he is better than he really is and deserves to move to a so called bigger club exactly when he wants.

Personally i think Arsenal will destroy us and Wanyama will not up for for putting in a performance.

I feel sorry for the fans that are going to waste their money going to this game and more importantly wasting precious family time at this time of year because of the ridiculous timing of this game!!!

bet we dont do that.

Ozil not particularly quick but he does float around the final 3rd of the pitch

have to play mane on mertasacker.....and not hoof the ball up to him or pelle

Koeman saying the two day break between games on the 26th and the 28th is "ridiculous" is not a wise move. It gives the players an in-built excuse, in my opinion, knowing even the manager doesn't think they can perform 100%. Mistake made.

Every manager moans about it at some time or another.

Koeman saying the two day break between games on the 26th and the 28th is "ridiculous" is not a wise move. It gives the players an in-built excuse, in my opinion, knowing even the manager doesn't think they can perform 100%. Mistake made.

I understand where you are coming from but I think that is a little harsh - two games in such a short period is dangerous from a fitness and injury perspective. The chances for injury go up a massive amount - I saw a graph a while back on how the potential for injury in footballers goes up a massive amount if they play twice a week let alone twice in two days. That said, it's the same for West Ham as well.

As for the players losing focus, it's been like that for well over a month now so I doubt this comment will do much harm. I think the first thing we can do is ensure we pick 11 men who are focussed and committed and the rest will sort itself out.

Last season Koeman's relaxed approach reaped great rewards in the first half of the season and then he only got angry when we had those 5 losses in a row. There was an upturn in form and the rest of the season somewhat tailed off. I read he's got a bit angry again so lets hope for a reaction though with nothing to play for this season and at least two of our squad having eyes on their summer moves then there will need to be some good man management to keep the squad motivated for the rest of the season.

If you consider that many transfer targets are eliminated not on the grounds of talent but on the grounds of their character then this slump and the rumours of discontent in the squad are concerning because in theory cliques and individuals putting themselves ahead of the team shouldn't happen in this 'black box' era. However, Koeman and the board have my full support but I expect a much better performance off the field this summer to allow us to head into next season with some optimism.

He said something similar last year, didn't do us too much harm then.

You've over thought that but that wont stop you from thinking you're right if the results don't go our way.

This is all very well but years ago amateur players at the highest levels because they could if they wanted often, played Saturday, Sunday, Wednesday for different clubs and the very best often played mid-week representative games as well as training Tuesday and Thursday and working full time. The Sunday teams were usually teams that comprised players from a couple of Saturday clubs playing in comparable leagues of similar strength. The days when pitches in the winter were very heavy, much more tiring than the pitches Saints have to play on. I can understand the concerns but I don't buy fatigued after one game especially with the effort some of our international superstars have been putting in lately seriously affecting them 48 hours later. Knocks and injury recovery in that time is a different matter altogether.