Arsenal 0-0 Saints - Reaction

Jimmy_D

MotM vs Arsenal (Away 2015/16)  

456 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Arsenal (Away 2015/16)

Couldn't really have complained at two defeats from our last two games, so to come away from them with four points and no goals conceded is a superb return.

Arse will feel they should have won that, and they certainly got enough help from Lee Mason, but that was a MOTM performance from Forster. So good to have him back, as you can't help but feel that Stek would have let at least one of those efforts in tonight.

Just a shame our own attempts at goal were so weak, otherwise we could have performed a smash and grab.

As you say 4 points is excellent, i was hoping for a point against utd but expected Arsenal to have to much for us, i didn't reckon on Fraser though.

Personally thought the ref was decent. Let a decent amount of physicality go and others would have been throwing around far more cards and much earlier.

We're back to our defensive performances of the start of last season, they had some good chances...but the midfield provided a fantastic shield, and when we did have attempts against....Forster does what he does, I think he's a top level keeper to be honest. Never understood the doubt people had with him. £10m bargain really.

Fonte and VVD put their bodies on the line, they were terrific. Romeu was terrific, Wanyama was terrific. But I will say that if we were a touch more clinical....we could have got something there, massive chances for us (not many chances...) but we had some clear ones we could have done better with.

Overall though, we've totally turned this season around now.

What a trio of keepers England have now! A point and that goalkeeping and defensive display will give the team the confidence of a win imo . The next 2 games are very winnable then we'd be up sniffing around 5th and 6th again and after that atrocious run we had that's some doing !

Four clean sheets in a row defence back to the best of last season. the big man between the posts was outstanding but every player worked his guts out tonight. Shame Austin wasn't fit reckon we would have nicked it with him available. Still a point away from home against Arsenal and a homer ref is a good point in my book :D

that is 2 points lost without Forster.

Forster comes back from injury - 4 starts / 4 clean sheets.

Make you wonder how many points we would be on if Forster had been healthy all season. He missed 20 of our 24 league matches. I reckon we would be sitting in 5th probably, with around 41 points.

Bloody marvellous....

Let's just hope Austins' omission from the squad isn't a regular thing.

Something still doesn't sit right with his 'bargain' signing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean the bargain signing that would have seen QPR get nothing in the summer unless they sold now?

Anyone who votes any player other than FF for MOTM clearly didn't watch the game/know about football

Also convinced that Shane Long has a twin brother that can't play football

They must play every other week

ha ha - that made me laugh :-)

cracking result - well played FF

Bloody marvellous....

Blackmore on Solent tonight said that he was speaking to some London jurnos before the Arsenal game they reckon we paid QPR even less than the £4 million that has been widely quoted for Austin...

Fuking Tony gale before the game on NBC saying that there are clearly only two teams in the title race, Arsenal and man city.

What a prat. Arsenal are 4th and Leicester keep winning to remain 3 points clear and will go 6 clear if they win the next game

Fuking Tony gale before the game on NBC saying that there are clearly only two teams in the title race, Arsenal and man city.

What a prat. Arsenal are 4th and Leicester keep winning to remain 3 points clear and will go 6 clear if they win the next game

Let's not forget Spurs either by the way, as much as some will hate it. Such a strong centre to that team.

Let's not forget Spurs either by the way, as much as some will hate it. Such a strong centre to that team.

Absolutely. But the way he just dismissed the other two sides like they are nothing.

Leicester are bang on. Imagine them beating city at the weekend and go 6 points clear. But they are not even worth considering to a paid pundit ffs

Good result, hard work from our defence, great from Forster and rode our luck a bit at timed.

But a bit of criticism - don't think our forward line did enough at all. Not bothered about goals or great runs etc, but just keeping the ball up the other end for a bit, not wasting possession, giving our defence a breather. Wasn't good enough from any of them.

Bloody marvellous....

You don't really understand how football contracts work, do you?

Brilliant start to the game by us with a high tempo pressing game that once again showed that Arsenal are not all that if you hurry them. Thought we wasted quite a lot of opportunities in the first half. They gave up possession in dangerous areas and we didn't use the ball well. Mane just isn't doing the right things. He is the key. If he can just start to make the right choices and get the right luck we could beat anyone. Unfortunately he hasn't done either of those things for a while.

Second half we seemed to go into our shell a little. Romeu got a little tired perhaps, although I thought he had a great game. Not sure the subs helped us at all. Juanmi out of position and god knows how many attackers left our midfield a little exposed. That said we ran hard and fought to the end. Excellent effort.

Forster will quite rightly get the plaudits, but the likes of Wanayama, Virgil, Bertrand and Soares all did very well.

My only moan would be the lack of effort by Tadic to close men down on a few occasions. Check out how little he does to stop the cross for the Kachelny headed chance. fOx like.

Good result, hard work from our defence, great from Forster and rode our luck a bit at timed.

But a bit of criticism - don't think our forward line did enough at all. Not bothered about goals or great runs etc, but just keeping the ball up the other end for a bit, not wasting possession, giving our defence a breather. Wasn't good enough from any of them.

I think Mane is having a bit of a patch at the moment, he's been rubbish for weeks in his ball retention and use of it in key moments. Long deserved to keep his plcae as he has been terrific. But we could have really done with Mertersaker back there tonight, as they would have really played on that.

Spurs are the threat to everyone, Poch has proved himself without doubt (I hate saying it). When he arrived with us he was unheard of. Have to admit Cortese knew what he was doing, I did not expect to say that when Adkins (what league is he in?) was sacked

Absolutely. But the way he just dismissed the other two sides like they are nothing.

Leicester are bang on. Imagine them beating city at the weekend and go 6 points clear. But they are not even worth considering to a paid pundit ffs

10pts clear of 5th now, but there's still alot of football and 10 points can evaporate very quickly. I think they'll be in Europe next year, but they'll still need to have a decent gap come end of March time in the top 4. Just have a feeling that they'll hit a patch at some point and Utd will claw it back. But still, makes for a very interesting season.

Leicester will beat Arsenal if current form is anything to go by. Arsenal look suspect against a pressing side. For once wouldn't it be great if the underdog doesn't fade away. The Premiership and its fans need a Leicester win to give us hope...

I think our forward line missed the run, service and delivery of Davis and Clasie tonight - too many hopeful balls in the general direction of Long and Mane. Tadic well below his best and once again did little covering or defensive work in front of Bertrand. But how good were Romeu and Vic tonight? They were both rocks in mid-field and distributed well. Good games from VVD, Cedric and Jose. We might have rode our luck but that was a thoroughly committed and gutsy point earned.

Brilliant start to the game by us with a high tempo pressing game that once again showed that Arsenal are not all that if you hurry them. Thought we wasted quite a lot of opportunities in the first half. They gave up possession in dangerous areas and we didn't use the ball well. Mane just isn't doing the right things. He is the key. If he can just start to make the right choices and get the right luck we could beat anyone. Unfortunately he hasn't done either of those things for a while.

Second half we seemed to go into our shell a little. Romeu got a little tired perhaps, although I thought he had a great game. Not sure the subs helped us at all. Juanmi out of position and god knows how many attackers left our midfield a little exposed. That said we ran hard and fought to the end. Excellent effort.

Forster will quite rightly get the plaudits, but the likes of Wanayama, Virgil, Bertrand and Soares all did very well.

My only moan would be the lack of effort by Tadic to close men down on a few occasions. Check out how little he does to stop the cross for the Kachelny headed chance. fOx like.

That was odd JWP was having a decent game Juanmi should surely have been a replacement for an out of sorts Mane or a knackered Long really.....but hey we won..... errrr drew so I can live with it.

I think our forward line missed the run, service and delivery of Davis and Clasie tonight - too many hopeful balls in the general direction of Long and Mane. Tadic well below his best and once again did little covering or defensive work in front of Bertrand. But how good were Romeu and Vic tonight? They were both rocks in mid-field and distributed well. Good games from VVD, Cedric and Jose. We might have rode our luck but that was a thoroughly committed and gutsy point earned.

Interesting Solent said Tadic put in a good shift defensively today.

Were you watching the game?

Fantastic to see FF on form again. He had little to do the last 3 games but tonight he was massive.

Well done Ron. Tactics and defending helped us avoid a dent in our new found form.

Hope Charlie is fit for Wham?

sorry meant to reply to turkish post. obviously frazer was top class.

A point gained for sure thanks to Forster and a solid defensive display...VW, VvD, Fonte and Romeu all had good games. Happy with result.

Would someone please explain to me why we still play Juanmi? He gave the ball away about three times in the 10 minutes he was on, any one of which could have resulted in a Gunners goal. He doesn't have physique, speed, vision or touch - I don't get it...I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest he's Premier league quality good enough to unlock defences or merit the Saints shirt. Don't like picking on players and would be delighted to have this posted back to me if goes on to score 10 goals in the remainder of the season - but this is not the first time I've thought he was more a liability than an asset.

Am I alone in thinking this?

A point gained for sure thanks to Forster and a solid defensive display...VW, VvD, Fonte and Romeu all had good games. Happy with result.

Would someone please explain to me why we still play Juanmi? He gave the ball away about three times in the 10 minutes he was on, any one of which could have resulted in a Gunners goal. He doesn't have physique, speed, vision or touch - I don't get it...I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest he's Premier league quality good enough to unlock defences or merit the Saints shirt. Don't like picking on players and would be delighted to have this posted back to me if goes on to score 10 goals in the remainder of the season - but this is not the first time I've thought he was more a liability than an asset.

Am I alone in thinking this?

It's hard to say about Juanmi really, he's not had enough consistent minutes to gauge a real opinion on him. I think he's a Jay Rodriguez type player, someone who can play off Pelle and run the channels - I don't see him as a number 10 or a central player, which is where we seem to shoe-horn him in at the moment. I think there's a good player in there, but unless he can find himself a position that suits him then I think he'll be back off to La Liga.

It's hard to say about Juanmi really, he's not had enough consistent minutes to gauge a real opinion on him. I think he's a Jay Rodriguez type player, someone who can play off Pelle and run the channels - I don't see him as a number 10 or a central player, which is where we seem to shoe-horn him in at the moment. I think there's a good player in there, but unless he can find himself a position that suits him then I think he'll be back off to La Liga.

Run the channels? I think he's been bought up to have a little more class about him than to run the channels. Unfair criticism about him today, think it was a neat little move to bring him on as he's the sort of player who'd find a gap when Arsenal were streaming forward and it didn't quite work out. Think he'd be better playing with strikers who aren't knackered to be fair. He's obviously got something about him otherwise we wouldn't be using him. He'll take time and next season we'll reap the benefits of his little cameos now.

Run the channels? I think he's been bought up to have a little more class about him than to run the channels. Unfair criticism about him today, think it was a neat little move to bring him on as he's the sort of player who'd find a gap when Arsenal were streaming forward and it didn't quite work out. Think he'd be better playing with strikers who aren't knackered to be fair. He's obviously got something about him otherwise we wouldn't be using him. He'll take time and next season we'll reap the benefits of his little cameos now.

Maybe didn't quite mean just run the channels, but I see him as part of a front 3 - one of the wide players, playing off of a central striker. So he'll be required to get wide, run down the channels and make space etc - but the freedom to make things happen as well. That's where I see him as a player, but who knows if we'll get to see him for a prolonged time doing that.