Secular Southampton FC social media accounts

Matthew Le God

The club's media account has yet again involved itself in matters of religion with the announcement Mother Teresa becoming a Saint. Previously they've tweeted "thoughts and prayers" about incidents.

Southampton FC@SouthamptonFC 3h3 hours ago

Southampton FC Retweeted The Associated Press

Welcome to the family, Mother Teresa! 1f607.png #saintsfc

The club should remain secular, its supporters aren't all religious. I guess at this point some will be thinking "oh, but Southampton were founded as a church team". Even if you applied that argument it fails because St Mary's is an Anglican church, not Catholic and Sainthood's are done by the Vatican, not Church of England.

Mother Teresa is hardly worthy of praise, she did far more harm to the world than good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65JxnUW7Wk4

Southampton's supporters aren't all followers of the same religion and never will be, so the club should be neutral and secular in the 21st century.

The club's media account has yet again involved itself in matters of religion with the announcement Mother Teresa becoming a Saint. Previously they've tweeted "thoughts and prayers" about incidents.

The club should remain secular, its supporters aren't all religious. I guess at this point some will be thinking "oh, but Southampton were founded as a church team". Even if you applied that argument it fails because St Mary's is an Anglican church, not Catholic and Sainthood's are done by the Vatican, not Church of England.

Mother Teresa is hardly worthy of praise, she did far more harm to the world than good...

Southampton's supporters aren't all followers of the same religion and never will be, so the club should be neutral and secular in the 21st century.

Nope no one will be thinking that. Everyone will be thinking it's a throwaway comment on twitter you strange strange person.

Just the thing that the Club needs this Ides of March. Perhaps it'll ward of the bad omens that befall us at this time of the year.

Maybe Cortese will be canonized in years to come the way things are panning out.

Made my day this post.

I suppose we should also stop singing that gospel hymn as well, you know the one, about "saints marching"? A change of stadium name too. St Mary's....can't get much more religiousy than that. (religiousy???)

Edited by Chalkboy

I'm not religious and think it's just them being funny - but each to their own Matthew Le Oh..... I didn't come on this forum for you to force your secular Le Tissier nicknames down my throat rant rant rant etc and so on

Edited by JxgrSaint

Oh my. I am guessing he just wants an argument and this is his best shot.

Next he'll be saying we shouldn't all be going to church every week and praying five times a day.

Bound to be contributing far more than Mother Theresa ever did as well cos sounds like such fun to be with the joy just oozes out if his posts.

Without wanting to judge suggest get some therapy to understand why such a fascination and anger with God cos doesn't seem healthy.

Have you seriously not got anything better to do with your life than moan about a tweet that the club has posted?

and before you pipe up about people moaning that the club was founded in a church, without that church, or religion, you wouldn't have a club to support. Stop being a bellend