K.Billy: "5 players want to leave this Summer"

trousers

Replacing all these players every season is really difficult. All it takes is 1 or 2 bad signings particularly if they're first team signings and we'll have a bad season. There's also the fact that the players can take time to work together. What annoys me most is that players like tadic and Mane seem to be playing better and better. We finished the season with momentum but sell any of the first team players and that's gone. Finally, in the prem there's money everywhere. We don't need to sell any players. What's worse is if we get 70 mill and spend 50 mil, we're never really investing money in the squad. Where the heck is all the prem money we get going.

Dear lord, meltdown because some ITK'ers post 5 players want to move.

Heck I'd love to move to a job paying double on the California coast but just because I want it to happen doesn't mean it will!

Surely the Board have done enough these past 2 years to show that the Club is about just that (the Club) - no single player, manager, coach, etc. is irreplaceable. For those saying give Koeman a 100 million to spend and let him do what he wants: that would go against the Southampton Way and would inevitably store up trouble further down the line.

Every summer the same people throw their toys out of the pram and yet, year on year, we continue to improve.

Chill out, enjoy our European adventure, highest Prem points total, highest Prem position - for the second year in a row. But obviously the Southampton Way is completely flawed according to our resident experts.

And you can lay money on Old Nick appearing to say we have no ambition and moan about everything under the sun.

If you can't enjoy this period in Saints history then I would suggest that you never will!

Guan and kb have a great record with info. However this kind of rumour which has so many permutations you have to take it with a pinch of salt. Don't care what the press say, they are proven liars.

I doubt that all 5 will leave even if they want to. We have said no before and are in a very strong position with the exception of VW which will be a blow.

More concerned with RK tbh.

Ultimately, it all comes down to money, surely.

I'm less bothered about players leaving (although massive disruption every summer is a challenge). It's more a question of how much the net spend is.

Yet we've progressed for two season with a negative net spend. So despite a massive positive net spend being the latest holy grail in mongboardery, the proof is in the pudding, it isn't as important as many of the f*ckwits on here would like it to be.

Yet we've progressed for two season with a negative net spend. So despite a massive positive net spend being the latest holy grail in mongboardery, the proof is in the pudding, it isn't as important as many of the f*ckwits on here would like it to be.

Newcastle....enough said

Pelle is replaceable and probably already has been with Austin.

Wanyama has been coming for ages, we knew this. He's a good player but still replaceable (cheeky bid for Morgan back?)

Mane would be the saddest loss IMO, the most difficult to replace with his pace and strength. Again though this would not be unexpected and we hold the cards here, he won't go cheap. I expect £30 million plus.

Juanmi, meh he's not played all year best for all parties for him to go.

Tadic is the only unexpected one from that list really, and that less seems about our club and more about him falling out with Koeman.

Plus we don't 100% know any of this is correct, players change their minds, maybe some of this is left over from the mid season slump, we've had a great end to the season, we've qualified for the Europa group stages and the likes of Tadic and Pelle who weren't getting games mid season all had a good end to seasons and looked happy.

I'd wouldn't be surprised if Tadic and Pelle extend their contracts. Wanyama and Mane going has always been likely this year, it's just a case of us doing our utmost to get the best quality replacements for them as well as adding more quality to the rest of the team.

The last two years despite the sales we've come out of it with a better squad than before, this year the sale IMO will be less (I reckon Wanyama and we'll make people pay through the nose for Mane) and we have more cash to spend, I reckon 2-3 out at most and a good 4-5 quality players in.

That same article that says this:

'Koeman's demanding style has caused friction with a number of players [...] James Ward-Prowse and Sadio Mane are among others who feel their confidence has been dented by Koeman's abrupt manner'

Koeman must be off then- explains why JWP committed for 6 more years :p

I'd like to know which manager hasn't got a demanding abrasive style. Part of the job I would have thought.........

Newcastle....enough said

wtf you on about? Newcastle were one of the highest net spenders in the League last year.

Our club has a method in the way it moves forward. Some of you lot on here are seriously deluded.......

Liverpools net spend on Lovren was more than ours

Man united match net spend on Morgan was more than ours

Net spend means nothing - it's who you spend on that counts - this is why I was so disappointed that Ronald linked ambition to money recently which is an easy way to pass blame in the broader publics mind

And as has been said earlier why provide a manager who seemingly doesn't want to be here for more than 1 year with who he wants in transfer market as this may not watch with what the next manager wants

wtf you on about? Newcastle were one of the highest net spenders in the League last year.

Our club has a method in the way it moves forward. Some of you lot on here are seriously deluded.......

That's the point - net spend doesn't equal success

Oh, and we have the strongest squad in years. Yet that isn't enough for some.....we bought poorly last summer, blah blah blah (yet still lucked our way into 6th because it must surely be all luck right?), net spend, blah blah blah. We had a better team when Pochettino was here, we were stronger last year (despite getting 3 points more this year), we never replaced Schneiderlin (yeah right).

We now have, on the whole, 2 strong players in every position and the wage bill will have increased significantly as we now have more squad depth with quality.

I would take our position over most other clubs in the country. Financially sound, owners that care and a system that is working and is not over-reliant on any one individual

The reason we go through this every pre season is because we're successful without paying stupid wages. Therefore our players heads are going to be quite easily turned ( or their agents) by bigger clubs paying more a lot more money . Before anyone starts on about breaking our pay structure or paying more , they need to think it through . If you pay more money to your top players , the general wage level rises as well. Therefore , people like Juanmi & Cedric turn from a punt to a liability. Our method appears to be sign them on lowish wages and give them a rise after they've produced the goods , FF & VvD? Of course the problem with this is when they refuse to extend they're easy to pick off.

Personally I hope we have " meltdown " every summer , because it means we've had another great season

Exactly highest net spenders and err... relegation. The two are not mutally exclusive to success

The reason we go through this every pre season is because we're successful without paying stupid wages. Therefore our players heads are going to be quite easily turned ( or their agents) by bigger clubs paying more a lot more money . Before anyone starts on about breaking our pay structure or paying more , they need to think it through . If you pay more money to your top players , the general wage level rises as well. Therefore , people like Juanmi & Cedric turn from a punt to a liability. Our method appears to be sign them on lowish wages and give them a rise after they've produced the goods , FF & VvD? Of course the problem with this is when they refuse to extend they're easy to pick off.

Personally I hope we have " meltdown " every summer , because it means we've had another great season

To be honest this post hits the nail on the head. The majority of footballers have no loyalty to the club they play for. They come to us because we are willing to pay more than their previous club and then want to leave us because another club are willing to pay even more....it really is as simple as that. Yes it ****es me off seeing us lose 5/6 players every season ...but hell i've got used to it and accept this is part is part of the modern era where footballers care not about actually playing football but how big their pay packet is even if it means sitting on the bench most of the season at one of the bigger clubs.

Where's this losing 5/6 every season come from by the way? I still see that as being 1 season, which was a freak pre-season. We lost 2 players last year, not sure that constitutes any sort of meltdown. I wish people would stop trying to make out that we lose 5/6 players every year because we don't.

Also don't bother including Junami in any meltdown this summer either, as I will barley notice he's gone.

Sure, net spend isn't a guarantee. You can squander it easily.

But if you're in RK's position and the board say "we need to make a net profit of £30m on player sales this summer", I doubt the reaction is "fine..no problem...there are loads of great, cheap players out there better than our current squad. We will sell some of our rubbish players for £10m+ and buy better replacements for £5m each"

Similarly, if you're told "Good news, Ronald, you have a transfer kitty of £25m, plus any money you raise from player sales", I doubt the reaction is "what a waste of money. It will just be squandered. Look at Newcastle"

I'd like to know which manager hasn't got a demanding abrasive style. Part of the job I would have thought.........

True enough. The likeable managers never seem to quite cut it towards the top of the table. I can't remember who said it, but there was a quote from a chairman (not a saints one) where he said if all the players like the manager then he isn't doing his job. I've sometimes wondered whether Nigel fell prey to that.

She's invested 50 milion quid of her own money into this club, most of which was to pay off debts Cortese accrued and left behind

When you invest you spend to accumulate, the fact the club is now successful and makes money and can pay back the debts accrued in getting it there means Cortese was successful in what he set out to do

If the last few years have taught us anything - it's that's have an extremely strong framework for players to succeed, unlike other places.

With regard to players wanting to leave - **** em, see you later - you will be replaced and we will improve. Really glad Bertrands name wasn't in there - at least we have a basically solid back 5 to slot attackers on top of. Much easier to look good going forward when you have a defensive unit that you can trust.

Complete faith in the board.

Hang on, we haven't sold anyone just yet and if we do I'm sure

a) We'll get a big payout

b) We'll replace them with someone of equal quality.

Besides which Pelle, Tadic and Mane whilst on their day are good can suffer a fair bit of inconsistency. Ditto for big Vic + he wants out and Juanmi (sadly because I rated him) doesn't look like he ever fitted in.

Come on, I would have thought by now that the club would have done enough to earn a bit of trust from the fans?

My apologies....thought you were showing Newcastle up as to what happens when you buy cheap and look to sell big.b

No problem. You only have to look at the absolute farce of a way Newcastle are run to realise our owner and board and getting a lot more right than wrong.

Where's this losing 5/6 every season come from by the way? I still see that as being 1 season, which was a freak pre-season. We lost 2 players last year, not sure that constitutes any sort of meltdown. I wish people would stop trying to make out that we lose 5/6 players every year because we don't.

Also don't bother including Junami in any meltdown this summer either, as I will barley notice he's gone.

This

To be fair it's the reputation we have in the press now as well. Every time some pundit has to do a sound bite on saints it's like "err yeah well they err sell loads of players and buy err like you know new ones err yeah"

What's bad about a bidding war over a player we have no need to sell? He will only go if someone offers us stupid money.

Nobody has posted anything that could remotely be called 'news'. Unless you define 'news' as a collection of tired old rumours; some of which are well beyond their sell-by date and some of which might just be reflected in what happens this Summer.

It is a nice problem overall. People bang on about no other club selling all the time, but what other club has come up and then improved each season? Who else is either just outside on in the european places, playing good football, beating the big clubs but unlikely to get champions league?

We have this problem because we keep having really good players. Everton held on because they're a bigger club paying bigger money who've been in the top division a lot longer than us, but they won't hold on this summer. Many others sign players who have failed elsewhere, older or injury prone. We tend to sign young and unproven in the premier league before others take the risk. So no surprise if the top 4/5 suddenly want them. How can money keep them here when whatever we offer even if stretched to 100k a week, they can get more elsewhere, play for the big clubs they grew up watching, play in the CL and have a chance of winning things. Yes we could win things if people stay, we could become a big club, but football's a short career and they're unlikely to want to stick around for gradual improvement sadly.

It really depends on their character as to whether there's any point forcing them to stay. I expected Wanyama to go, I'd begin to hope Mane might stay another year, but I really didn't think for a second Tadic might be off. Pelle I don't mind so much as we have other options and I figured he might want to go back to Italy, but yeah, the whole thing is hugely frustrating and no wonder Koeman wouldn't want to stay longer.

A fair analysis. Aside from personal issues, such as home sickness or the desire of the Mrs to live or not live somewhere etc, it seems to me that there are two things in our favour on retention:

1. With enhanced TV revenue, we can narrow the salary gap somewhat. Sure, the huge clubs can always pay more, but if moving to Man Utd or Arsenal is a 20% or 30% or 40% pay rise, this is less of a draw than it being, say, a 300% pay rise.

2. The better players will actually get to play at Saints - the picture for some of our departures is rather patchy. Yep, they are earning more money, but in other regards things have not gone well for them in general. Money talks, of course. But it doesn't shout so loud that it drowns out everything else entirely.

Hang on, we haven't sold anyone just yet and if we do I'm sure

a) We'll get a big payout

b) We'll replace them with someone of equal quality.

Besides which Pelle, Tadic and Mane whilst on their day are good can suffer a fair bit of inconsistency. Ditto for big Vic + he wants out and Juanmi (sadly because I rated him) doesn't look like he ever fitted in.

Come on, I would have thought by now that the club would have done enough to earn a bit of trust from the fans?

Absolutely, and 4/5 for me i'll be perfectly fine with.

Tadic however I will be extremely disappointed to lose as I think he's one of the most creative players in the Prem, but not quite good enough for any of the teams above us. Possibly United...but lets be honest. All the big teams in the Prem will be looking to make big name signings this summer.

Where's this losing 5/6 every season come from by the way? I still see that as being 1 season, which was a freak pre-season. We lost 2 players last year, not sure that constitutes any sort of meltdown.

Exactly.

This is from Sky Sports' summary at the close of the summer 2015 transfer window;

Out

Artur Boruc (AFC Bournemouth) Free

Jos Hooiveld Released

Cody Cropper (Milton Keynes Dons) Free

Omar Rowe Released

Jake Sinclair Released

Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool) Undisclosed

Dani Osvaldo Released

Morgan Schneiderlin (Manchester United) Undisclosed

Sam Gallagher (MK Dons) Loan

Emmanuel Mayuka (Metz) Undisclosed

Chris Johns Released

Jack Stephens (Middlesbrough) Loan

Jordan Turnbull (Swindon Town) Loan

I would like to think that after the 'feel good' end to the season, now we are in the Group round of the Europa Cup and due to the new TV deal enabling the Club to offer higher wages, that some of those players who 'wanted away' earlier in the season may reconsider their positions.

perhaps it's ......" go west young man .....?" Maybe our pre-season tour will be the U.S. with our new Armour kit?..

I've heard we are going to USA pre-season, plus one game in Holland confirmed, AZ Alkmaar. Don't know if anyone has heard more?

I just wonder how much of this has its roots in our mid season slump as Guan recounted the events around that time.

Has anybody actually come out since about 8.15 last night when we were automatically put into the Europa Cup Group Stages and stated they want to leave for a Champions League team ? That worked out really well last season for Morgan didn't it ?

We are guaranteed 6 matches in a European Comp. At the moment, in England, only Man Utd, Arsenal, Leicester and Man City (I think) can share that boast, everyone else has qualifying rounds to go through.

4 may, or may not after the past week or so, want to leave (not counting Juanmi) but with two of them having two years left on their contracts the chances of all of them going UNLESS the club have better replacements coming in is pretty slim I would think......or hope

Some of you think we are doing really well so should just be content with the annual upheaval of player sales. What other club do you see players being constantly picked off at our rate. We are at the point of really transitioning as a club to greater things because of the scouting system and what the old man did at the guidance of Cortese. You would have to be blind to see with the daughter there HASN'T been a change in direction.

My thoughts, everyone is entitled to theirs but this doesn't half **** me off.

You really need to do winking faces when you write comedy posts of people will think you're serious and mentally deluded.

Replacing all these players every season is really difficult. All it takes is 1 or 2 bad signings particularly if they're first team signings and we'll have a bad season. There's also the fact that the players can take time to work together. What annoys me most is that players like tadic and Mane seem to be playing better and better. We finished the season with momentum but sell any of the first team players and that's gone. Finally, in the prem there's money everywhere. We don't need to sell any players. What's worse is if we get 70 mill and spend 50 mil, we're never really investing money in the squad. Where the heck is all the prem money we get going.

We have had 1 or 2 bad signings every year. What it would take to have a problem is the absence of 2 or 3 good signings.

The club is trying to be financially conservative for reasons that anyone who has been a fan longer than I should understand. If we sell players for 100 million pounds and buy players for 80 million pounds we have probably net invested in the club given tax issues, likely salary increases, and the fact that we generally sell players for more than we pay for them.

The premier league money (at least in the past couple of years) has gone into things like increasing the size and qualify of our staff, both on and off the field, and paying for the new facilities. With the big jump in TV money this year, it is likely that all premier league clubs will have more money to spend on the transfer market. If we are to continue to improve we will have to spend it better than most.

Dear lord, meltdown because some ITK'ers post 5 players want to move.

Heck I'd love to move to a job paying double on the California coast but just because I want it to happen doesn't mean it will!

Surely the Board have done enough these past 2 years to show that the Club is about just that (the Club) - no single player, manager, coach, etc. is irreplaceable. For those saying give Koeman a 100 million to spend and let him do what he wants: that would go against the Southampton Way and would inevitably store up trouble further down the line.

Every summer the same people throw their toys out of the pram and yet, year on year, we continue to improve.

Chill out, enjoy our European adventure, highest Prem points total, highest Prem position - for the second year in a row. But obviously the Southampton Way is completely flawed according to our resident experts.

And you can lay money on Old Nick appearing to say we have no ambition and moan about everything under the sun.

If you can't enjoy this period in Saints history then I would suggest that you never will!

ditto

She's invested 50 milion quid of her own money into this club, most of which was to pay off debts Cortese accrued and left behind

also ditto

Did she have no control or say over that time?

It is not clear when she got control over her father's estate, but obviously she had control at some point and when she saw things going to far in a direction of which she did not approve, she made changes. Good job KL.

My apologies....thought you were showing Newcastle up as to what happens when you buy cheap and look to sell big.b

He was except for the word "up".

I just wonder how much of this has its roots in our mid season slump as Guan recounted the events around that time.

Has anybody actually come out since about 8.15 last night when we were automatically put into the Europa Cup Group Stages and stated they want to leave for a Champions League team ? That worked out really well last season for Morgan didn't it ?

We are guaranteed 6 matches in a European Comp. At the moment, in England, only Man Utd, Arsenal, Leicester and Man City (I think) can share that boast, everyone else has qualifying rounds to go through.

4 may, or may not after the past week or so, want to leave (not counting Juanmi) but with two of them having two years left on their contracts the chances of all of them going UNLESS the club have better replacements coming in is pretty slim I would think......or hope ��

Also, Spurs. And technically Man City are guaranteed 8 games.

Yes I'm aware of that. So just keep risking it until it goes wrong then? Unproven players may work or may not, that's what it means. Proven players will probably keep doing pretty well! So if you're good at recruitment, use it to enhance what you have not start over every summer.

Did we "start over" last summer?

I'd suggest their were more levels of upheaval during, say, Adkins second summer.