Euro 2016

Batman

Subject to injuries and bookings, there is now every likelihood that we will see a player associated with Saints (either a current player or a former player) in the final. We would expect to either see Bale or Fonte and Cedric in the final.

Not only that, but if Italy beat Germany and France beat Iceland, each of the semi-finalists will feature a current or past Saints player.

Incidentally and on another related point, I thought the following stats may be of interest:

* Three Premier League teams have four players still at the Euros: Man Utd, Arsenal and Palace.

* Four EPL teams have three players still there: Saints, Liverpool, Swansea and West Ham.

* Three EPL teams still have two players still at the Euros: Man City, Spurs and Leicester City.

* Two EPL teams have just one player still at the tournament: Burnley and West Brom.

Meanwhile, Chelsea, Everton, Stoke, Watford, Sunderland, Bournemouth and Hull players have all seen the international teams that they play for eliminated from the tournament. That just leaves Middlesbrough who did not send any players to the Euros.

Subject to injuries and bookings, there is now every likelihood that we will see a player associated with Saints (either a current player or a former player) in the final. We would expect to either see Bale or Fonte and Cedric in the final.

Not only that, but if Italy beat Germany and France beat Iceland, each of the semi-finalists will feature a current or past Saints player.

Incidentally and on another related point, I thought the following stats may be of interest:

* Three Premier League teams have four players still at the Euros: Man Utd, Arsenal and Palace.

* Four EPL teams have three players still there: Saints, Liverpool, Swansea and West Ham.

* Three EPL teams still have two players still at the Euros: Man City, Spurs and Leicester City.

* Two EPL teams have just one player still at the tournament: Burnley and West Brom.

Meanwhile, Chelsea, Everton, Stoke, Watford, Sunderland, Bournemouth and Hull players have all seen the international teams that they play for eliminated from the tournament. That just leaves Middlesbrough who did not send any players to the Euros.

Aren't two or three of the Welsh team from crystal palace?

Edited by Saint-Fred

England have been wetting their pants over 2 semi final appearances the past 40 years . We even wet our knickers over '96 when we were at home and there were some pretty poor sides involved . Wales have matched that with premiership reserves and championship players , puts it all in perspective

England have been wetting their pants over 2 semi final appearances the past 40 years . We even wet our knickers over '96 when we were at home and there were some pretty poor sides involved . Wales have matched that with premiership reserves and championship players , puts it all in perspective

As evidenced by Wednesday night's special "Euro '96 - When Football Came Home". Jesus Christ. (And it's actually 2 semi final appearances in 50 years now)

Proper lesson in how having superstar count for nothing it's a team sport

We need a manager that builds a team over the next 4-8 years like the Spanish Germans and the Welsh

Let's go young give Howe a chance or shearer

We have tried overseas managers, and half decent old club managers

Why not build for the future

It's even more pathetic if you go back 50 years . Belgium & Cameroon in '90 , there was 1 in '86 but cant remember who , Spain '96 but that was on pens . Off the top of my head I can't remember any more

A 3-0 win over Paraguay apparently.

Belgium and Cameroon were both a.e.t. If my memory serves me right. I'm lying, I had to look it up. Add Spain and that leaves 3 knockout games we've won in 90 minutes in 50 years.

A 3-0 win over Paraguay apparently.

Belgium and Cameroon were both a.e.t. If my memory serves me right. I'm lying, I had to look it up. Add Spain and that leaves 3 knockout games we've won in 90 minutes in 50 years.

I've never understand why Venables & Robson are revered as England managers . '90 was nothing special , poor in group , Belgium beaten in last minute and the Cameroon , Cameroon FFS . '96 , forget about Sweatys and Holland ( I think Holland qualified anyway ) We were home against a poor bunch , we should have won that. We're a joke , Robson and Venables failed as much as Sven , but the media and ex players love them. Because we we played well in semis it seems to make them great campaigns , the truth is we were **** poor before that stage and played well, but lost , in the semis . Germany & Italy would look back on both as failure

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

I've never understand why Venables & Robson are revered as England managers . '90 was nothing special , poor in group , Belgium beaten in last minute and the Cameroon , Cameroon FFS . '96 , forget about Sweatys and Holland ( I think Holland qualified anyway ) We were home against a poor bunch , we should have won that. We're a joke , Robson and Venables failed as much as Sven , but the media and ex players love them. Because we we played well in semis it seems to make them great campaigns , the truth is we were **** poor before that stage and played well, but lost , in the semis . Germany & Italy would look back on both as failure

You think the media always loved Robson? Everyone knows England are sh it but fill your boots running down even the little glimmers of enjoyment from past tournaments.

Revelation that we aren't as good as Germany and Italy. Wow!

Bet you didn't enjoy our JPT win cos like it would mean little to Chelsea or Utd?

What I don't understand is how Wales perform like that with no winter break? Truly baffling how their players still seem to have energy when clearly England players are too fatigued to control and pass the ball.

Anyway so good to have a team to feel excited about now. And so good that their success can show what boll ocks people roll out as to what England's problem is. Not that I know although my latest theory is Hodgson is a useless fck er. 'I don't know why I am here?'

Glad to see Saunders on motd give some credit to John Toshack & Brian Flynn . Not taking anything away from Coleman and the present bunch , but the FAW had a plan , Toshack & Flynn were instrumental in starting it. In comparison our FA have been all over the place for years

Fifty, to be precise.

What I don't understand is how Wales perform like that with no winter break? Truly baffling how their players still seem to have energy when clearly England players are too fatigued to control and pass the ball.

Anyway so good to have a team to feel excited about now. And so good that their success can show what boll ocks people roll out as to what England's problem is. Not that I know although my latest theory is Hodgson is a useless fck er. 'I don't know why I am here?'

It's about motivation. And the complete lack of it from the England players or the coaching staff.

Also add in no confidence and you have a poisonous mix as we saw in the last game where players just simply didn't know what to do.

I was always taught that you move, you give the player with the ball options. Standing still is death to any attack because it gives the defence time to cover you and shut out the pass. So you make the little runs, looking as if you are going in behind, you pull the defence out of shape so that another player can use the space. And you actually move with the ball rather than look to pass first.

None of that happened in the games I watched and it has not been happening for some time now with England.

for me, the new manager needs to do the following:

1) take the captaincy from Rooney. He doesn't lead by example, doesn't have natural authority and isn't a visible enough presence to lead.

2) tell the players that no one has a guaranteed place in the squad. If they want to play in an England shirt they need to clearly demonstrate it and make the most of each opportunity they are given

3) drop Wilshere so that he can rest and sort out his body. Then refuse to select him until he has managed most of a season on the pitch

4) get rid of the ridiculous idea that you can only be considered for England if you play in the top 6 of the PL - if a player is in form then they are good enough for consideration for the national side

5) Pay attention to the youth sides.

In addition, the FA need to select a manager to do the job rather than be a 'safe pair of hands'. I've always found this policy to be really stupid and it goes right back to when they didn't select Brian Clough because they thought he would be too much trouble. If you appoint a 'safe pair of hands' it's to protect a position and keep things as they are - what position have they been protecting all these years? Waste of time.

The FA need to understand that their job for the national side is to appoint a manager who is going to deliver the best possible performance from the players available. Nothing more.

Not only that, the FA need to get on to the media and get them to tone down the ridiculous levels of expectation that get pushed down our throats every time England play. We all want England to win but the pressure put on the team by this (don't tell me they never see it) is too much.

It's a lack op team building, nothing else. Wales got past every team that hat better individual than them, because being a time.

Nobody struck how well "superstar" Wales and all those Championship or lower players get along ?

It's about motivation. And the complete lack of it from the England players or the coaching staff.

Also add in no confidence and you have a poisonous mix as we saw in the last game where players just simply didn't know what to do.

I was always taught that you move, you give the player with the ball options. Standing still is death to any attack because it gives the defence time to cover you and shut out the pass. So you make the little runs, looking as if you are going in behind, you pull the defence out of shape so that another player can use the space. And you actually move with the ball rather than look to pass first.

None of that happened in the games I watched and it has not been happening for some time now with England.

1) take the captaincy from Rooney. He doesn't lead by example, doesn't have natural authority and isn't a visible enough presence to lead.

2) tell the players that no one has a guaranteed place in the squad. If they want to play in an England shirt they need to clearly demonstrate it and make the most of each opportunity they are given

3) drop Wilshere so that he can rest and sort out his body. Then refuse to select him until he has managed most of a season on the pitch

4) get rid of the ridiculous idea that you can only be considered for England if you play in the top 6 of the PL - if a player is in form then they are good enough for consideration for the national side

In addition, the FA need to select a manager to do the job rather than be a 'safe pair of hands'. I've always found this policy to be really stupid and it goes right back to when they didn't select Brian Clough because they thought he would be too much trouble. If you appoint a 'safe pair of hands' it's to protect a position and keep things as they are - what position have they been protecting all these years? Waste of time.

The FA need to understand that their job for the national side is to appoint a manager who is going to deliver the best possible performance from the players available. Nothing more.

Not only that, the FA need to get on to the media and get them to tone down the ridiculous levels of expectation that get pushed down our throats every time England play. We all want England to win but the pressure put on the team by this (don't tell me they never see it) is too much.

That works for me.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Compare Wales to England and for me the biggest difference is how the Welsh players appear to relish the opportunity to express themselves at the highest level while our lot looked like they were playing under a weight of expectation that was almost literaly stiffeling them.

It's not really about a lack of lack of technical abilty, poor coaching or even too many games being played. They're all paid far too much money of course but there again so are most of the top players in Europe. No, we just need to find a way to get England players to perform with a smile on their face and we might get somewhere for once. The FA abandoning their perennial 'safe pair of hands' policy and appointing a manager who knows what he is doing wouldn't hurt either.

Easier said than done I know.

How bad is Lukaku now ? who would buy him , he seemed to be off the pace and didn't look like connecting with the ball let alone scoring !

It has taken Colman 4 years to get the Welsh team playing this well , he was slated at the begining even offered to resign after a bad run of results at the begining , would any England manager be given that amount of time by the media/ex players ?

How bad is Lukaku now ? who would buy him , he seemed to be off the pace and didn't look like connecting with the ball let alone scoring !

It has taken Colman 4 years to get the Welsh team playing this well , he was slated at the begining even offered to resign after a bad run of results at the begining , would any England manager be given that amount of time by the media/ex players ?

roy just has

Revelation that we aren't as good as Germany and Italy. Wow!

Bet you didn't enjoy our JPT win cos like it would mean little to Chelsea or Utd?

You don't think we should be winning things ,and be competing with Italy , Germany , the past 50 years ? There's a fundamental difference between Chelsea & Saints, there shouldn't be between England & Italy . We have the most money , the richest league and club sides have won countless European cups . You're making out we're some sort of under dog , it's nonsense. We're as big a football nation as anyone, we're just shiete at it.

As I posted around 2 years ago, the problems they need to sort out go deeper than just a change of manager

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?50744-Have-England-really-moved-on-from-2010&p=1975488#post1975488

No, we haven't.

The moment the fourth German goal went in we should have come together and sorted ourselves out. The players who had had their chances with the side should have been discarded, meaning most of the "golden generation".

We should have totally revamped our coaching and youth development practices like Germany and Spain did before them. The coaching and qualifications should have been made more accessible and affordable to aspiring coaches for starters.

Secondly, the Premier League and the FA should have came together for the good of our national game and developed a proper blueprint for the future of English football - not just floating ridiculous B-team ideas and giving out wishy-washy academy statuses. No, we should have asked ourselves - what is English football? What is our style? How can we embrace it and develop it? How can we improve our national team? We should have consented and agreed with all the clubs in the 4 top divisions and identified a style and vision with which to go forward. Instead, we had Trevor Brooking murmuring on for a few more years and important roles for big-hitting dunces like Rio Ferdinand and Danny Mills.

That was never going to happen though with the sometimes well intentioned jobs-for-the-boys FA and as for the money-driven Premier League, they couldn't really care less as long as the cash cow can continue to be milked.

The man who should be overseeing a revolution in our game is Glenn Hoddle - the perfect man for restructuring this countries footballing problem.

What a load of guff. Yet again losing in a tournament apparently means a complete overhaul of our game despite continually producing good young players, England youth teams performing well and the England manager having plenty of options to choose from. Yet apparently a dinosaur who slags off the disabled is the answer.

Perhaps criticising our entire national game and talk of overhaul isn't helping in itself? England players perform very well in a tough league and in Europe, we all see it. We've had better groups in the past but that goes in cycles, same for any nation. Italy have a far weaker group than in the past few generations yet they get a decent manager and produce a solid team. Most nations manage it.

Three problems for me:

1. A series of appalling managers putting individuals before team

2. Huge psychological block in tournaments

3. Arrogance, of players and fans. We achieve nothing and talk as if we deserve it anyway. If we lose, it needs a national inquest because such a thing should never happen! Overhaul everything!

Roy stumbled on what looked like a successful setup when we played Germany and France

trouble is, he ripped that up, brought in Wilshere, Rooney, Sterling etc and that was that

Rooney was alright, good in one game but desperately poor against Iceland. But he is not a CM.

Fair play to the Welsh, deserved it last night. That turn & goal by Robson-Kanu mugging those three defenders is fantastic in slow motion. Great header by Vokes too at the end. They're in dreamland at the minute.

It's because we are desperate for anything positive about England. If Robson and Venables were Italian or German they'd have been thought of as fairly mediocre managers but English fans have had so little to cheer about that they are put up on a pedestal. I personally don't rate Venables - he snubbed Matty when he was at the peak of his powers, something that still rankles with me to this day.

Supporting England is like having an abusive girlfriend, you take endless **** but you hang on in there because deep down you still love her. Eventually after years of abuse you either go down the 'don't give a ****' route or end up having a love\hate relationship - you love her but you hate her at the same time.

I think this is why so many English fans are genuinely delighted for Wales, they are a conduit for our long supressed need for some joy and good news when it comes to international footie plus they are showing England up for the pathetic rabble they are.

What a load of guff. Yet again losing in a tournament apparently means a complete overhaul of our game despite continually producing good young players, England youth teams performing well and the England manager having plenty of options to choose from. Yet apparently a dinosaur who slags off the disabled is the answer.

Perhaps criticising our entire national game and talk of overhaul isn't helping in itself? England players perform very well in a tough league and in Europe, we all see it. We've had better groups in the past but that goes in cycles, same for any nation. Italy have a far weaker group than in the past few generations yet they get a decent manager and produce a solid team. Most nations manage it.

Three problems for me:

1. A series of appalling managers putting individuals before team

2. Huge psychological block in tournaments

3. Arrogance, of players and fans. We achieve nothing and talk as if we deserve it anyway. If we lose, it needs a national inquest because such a thing should never happen! Overhaul everything!

So you think we're producing enough good managers and coaches in this country, do you? Despite the fact even Iceland, Holland etc - far smaller countries have got swathes more certified coaches. So there's not a problem there?

Call it guff all you want mush, but until the FA and Premier League can find common ground then we'll continue to produce dirge bottle job players and tournament performances. Changing the manager will do absolutely nothing. We had a superb manager in Capello, succeeded pretty much everywhere he went... Until England.

We're also still behind technically as footballers too. If you've ever played a foreign team yourself you'd know that though.

Joe Allen has been magnificent. would love him here

Joe Allen has been bloody AWFUL with the ball, comfortably Wales' worst player, keeps passing the ball to the opposition, and his lack of movement when the back 4 has the ball has narrowed their options loads when in possession. He's also been lucky to stay on the pitch in a couple of games with some useless tackles. Having said all that, they're all pretty much exempt from criticism for the miracle that's currently occurring.

I mean, Hal Robson-Kanu has never done anything remotely like that in his life before.

Joe Allen has been bloody AWFUL with the ball, comfortably Wales' worst player, keeps passing the ball to the opposition, and his lack of movement when the back 4 has the ball has narrowed their options loads when in possession. He's also been lucky to stay on the pitch in a couple of games with some useless tackles. Having said all that, they're all pretty much exempt from criticism for the miracle that's currently occurring.

I mean, Hal Robson-Kanu has never done anything remotely like that in his life before.

your opinions on players has fallen flat on its arse since being sure antonio would never make it in the prem

:lol::D:smug:;)

your opinions on players has fallen flat on its arse since being sure antonio would never make it in the prem

Robson Kanu scoring against Belgium was pretty special, imagine if he scored against another top team like, let's say for example, Spain. That would make him one heck of a player.

He's still only had half a decent season so far..! Stick to my Billy Sharp boosting for that one. ;)

I suspect (especially given that two of Wales' games happened at the same time as England's) that I've seen more Wales games than you. Allen's been below average but he knows he won't get dropped.

Wales have got where they have precisely because they have limited resources but as a result everyone knows precisely what is expected of them and with Bale being basically ego-free as a world class player they've got a wild card if they need something magical (eg v Slovakia, England and N Ireland) and his leadership brings average players up to a particular standard. FWIW Joe Ledley was garbage against Russia as well. They're confident because they know they have nothing to lose, and because they aren't scared to make mistakes because the chances are they won't get dropped. But it's the limited resources and the joint commitment to getting the most out of it that's making the difference. And they still lost to England... :D

Robson Kanu scoring against Belgium was pretty special, imagine if he scored against another top team like, let's say for example, Spain. That would make him one heck of a player.

Neil Taylor's overlap in 10 yards of space gave Robson-Kanu the opportunity to do it, all the defenders assumed he was going to lay it off to Taylor and defended that. I was celebrating the goal before he even hit it, absolutely gobsmacked.

So you think we're producing enough good managers and coaches in this country, do you? Despite the fact even Iceland, Holland etc - far smaller countries have got swathes more certified coaches. So there's not a problem there?

Call it guff all you want mush, but until the FA and Premier League can find common ground then we'll continue to produce dirge bottle job players and tournament performances. Changing the manager will do absolutely nothing. We had a superb manager in Capello, succeeded pretty much everywhere he went... Until England.

We're also still behind technically as footballers too. If you've ever played a foreign team yourself you'd know that though.

Thing is, Wales players are succeeding with the same backgrounds and academy training, they've just got a better attitude and understand what it is to represent their country, which I'm not sure half the England players get.

Also, what happened to Joe Hart to turn him into the nervous mess he was against Wales and Iceland?

Wright and Dixon were convinced the problem with outfielders was over coaching and a lack of organic decision makers, but that doesn't explain Hart.

Thing is, Wales players are succeeding with the same backgrounds and academy training, they've just got a better attitude and understand what it is to represent their country, which I'm not sure half the England players get.

Also, what happened to Joe Hart to turn him into the nervous mess he was against Wales and Iceland?

Wright and Dixon were convinced the problem with outfielders was over coaching and a lack of organic decision makers, but that doesn't explain Hart.

Hart is just not as good as he is built up to be. Good keeper, certainly not one of the best in the world as he us regularly hyped up to be.

Since he has been at city, every manager has dropped him and/or heavily linked with bringing in a new keeper to replace him. Pep doing the same already.

Lots of talk about Ronaldo (who I don't think is fit and/or motivated) against the Welsh defence, but I think Cedric could be in for a torrid time against Bale.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Hazard and De Bruyne couldn't break them down between them. If they play as well as this again, Portugal have no chance. (But hitting same level again will be tough for them)

Too many England players get picked through the top 6, and take it for granted. For many of them it's probably an inconvienience. The Wales players are all proud to represent their nation, but with that they have the belief and spirit to win through. Can't ever see it happening with England

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Hazard and De Bruyne couldn't break them down between them. If they play as well as this again, Portugal have no chance. (But hitting same level again will be tough for them)

Difficult without Ramsey. IMO yellows should be expunged from the group stages.

You don't think we should be winning things ,and be competing with Italy , Germany , the past 50 years ? There's a fundamental difference between Chelsea & Saints, there shouldn't be between England & Italy . We have the most money , the richest league and club sides have won countless European cups . You're making out we're some sort of under dog , it's nonsense. We're as big a football nation as anyone, we're just shiete at it.

There is a fundamental difference between us and Italy and Germany. They are good at playing football and we are not. We are not even close, the sooner we accept that and stop this 'England expects' nonsense the better.

We have won one trophy, donkeys years ago last century when we had home advantage. Despite having way more professional clubs than anyone, the best facilities and the most money - even with all these advantages we havn't been anywhere near the best footballing nations. It doesn't matter what manager, setup or whatever, we are just not good at it.

There is a fundamental difference between us and Italy and Germany. They are good at playing football and we are not. We are not even close, the sooner we accept that and stop this 'England expects' nonsense the better.

We have won one trophy, donkeys years ago last century when we had home advantage. Despite having way more professional clubs than anyone, the best facilities and the most money - even with all these advantages we havn't been anywhere near the best footballing nations. It doesn't matter what manager, setup or whatever, we are just not good at it.

Galling thing is how our players, and managers simply expect to be at the top table, time after time.

Yet time after time our team simply doesn't turn up.

The krauts went away after was it 2002 , or a poor Euros/WC and put a strategy in place to build from. Result was WC winners 2014. The bunch of C^nts who run our game have done what in the last twenty years, given us Liileshall or whatever. Net result ? Winners of **** all.

So, what's the solution?

have your no.1 system, pick players to play it in their proper positions and pick players who are on form and who play regularly.

it is fairly simple but something we seem to never ever do.

not saying we would win anything but doing that, we would be a damn sight better than we have been

Shearer talking up the Pelle / Eder partnership on the Beeb. Can we swoop for Eder then?

Just thinking the same. When Shearer flagged up how Pelle & Eder have played close to each other it shows how we never really got anyone to do that job with Graziano like Eder has. He seems to be on a long term loan at Inter.

Unlikely I suppose but would be interesting.

Mind you, Conte as manager probably has something to do with it !

have your no.1 system, pick players to play it in their proper positions and pick players who are on form and who play regularly.

it is fairly simple but something we seem to never ever do.

not saying we would win anything but doing that, we would be a damn sight better than we have been

Agreed. And with all that in mind, I think there's one outstanding candidate: Marcelo Bielsa. Would give the team a clear, non-negotiable sense of identity. Would be really exciting and issues over burn-out in his system would perhaps be less significant in tournament football. Given his nationality, our filthy tabloids would obviously be unbearable if there were difficult moments, given his nationality... But weighing up all that is wrong with the England team, I honestly can't think of a better available coach with top class pedigree.

Wondering about the refereeing in this competition with defenders grappling with and holding attacking players during corner kicks without being penalised. Now we've just had the Italy penalty with the German goalkeeper jumping up and down as the kick was being taken. The Laws of the game say that during a penalty kick, the defending goalkeeper must remain on his goal line. Jumping off the ground is not staying on the goal line. Perhaps the ref would have required the kick to be taken again if Italy hadn't scored but that could have caused a lot of anger among the Germany players. Just surprised he didn't warn the Keeper about his antics, before the kick was taken.

The Laws of the game say that during a penalty kick, the defending goalkeeper must remain on his goal line. Jumping off the ground is not staying on the goal line. Perhaps the ref would have required the kick to be taken again if Italy hadn't scored but that could have caused a lot of anger among the Germany players. Just surprised he didn't warn the Keeper about his antics, before the kick was taken.

What are you on about?