Euro 2016

Batman

The problem lies firmly with the loathsome FA.

All they want as England manager is an insipid yes man. Do as he's told, don't make waves blah blah. Hence Harry Redknapp would have been the popular choice, but he didn't fit the FA model for manager, so Hodgson got it.

Don't expect an exciting new manager appointment, it'll be another yes man ☹️

Nothing will change, same old faces will be in, the new manager won't have the balls to drop the Rooney's etc (or won't be allowed - poor for the huge Nike deal you see). It's all about money, even with National team. Nike are welcome to sponsor England, I won't be buying their insipid design, overpriced tat anyway. Poke it, just like England can poke it if they think I want to travel to London to watch World Cup qualifiers. No thanks!

End of the day I think blaming the manager is too easy

The manager defines the way he wants his teams to play. The manager studies the opposition and identifies their strengths and weaknesses and works out how to deal with it. The manager then selects the team who can deliver the plans he has formulated. There was no real evidence of any of that. As a Northern Irishman I can be a bit more objective and say that I don't believe that there was a lack of heart in the players but there was a definite lack of leadership and lack of clarity in what it was they were trying to do. No - Woy carries the can - along with Hart who has failed dismally as a tournament keeper.

The problem lies firmly with the loathsome FA.

All they want as England manager is an insipid yes man. Do as he's told, don't make waves blah blah. Hence Harry Redknapp would have been the popular choice, but he didn't fit the FA model for manager, so Hodgson got it.

Don't expect an exciting new manager appointment, it'll be another yes man ☹️

Nothing will change, same old faces will be in, the new manager won't have the balls to drop the Rooney's etc (or won't be allowed - poor for the huge Nike deal you see). It's all about money, even with National team. Nike are welcome to sponsor England, I won't be buying their insipid design, overpriced tat anyway. Poke it, just like England can poke it if they think I want to travel to London to watch World Cup qualifiers. No thanks!

They seem to be going along the ''promote from within'' line. Have managers coaching the U21's, then they move up to the senior team etc. It may have worked in other nations, but let's be honest, the pool of 'English' managers we have is pretty pitiful. I don't know why they don't try and appoint the best manager they can get. Foreigner, English - whatever, just the best man for the job.

We need a 'coach', someone who will get his hands dirty on the training pitch and drill the players constantly. I still can't quite get over at what a non-team we were last night, it was literately just a rabble of blokes put together with a football, there didn't seem to be any thought, idea or philosophy of how we were going to play (over the entire tournament to be honest).

So the first thought if i was in the FA would be to get a proper 'training ground' coach, let him develop a system, a style and then include the players best suited to that style. We need someone who is allowed to think outside the box, go down to the NPC, or 'smaller' PL clubs to look for players who 'fit' the style that he wants to play. All this shoehorning of the likes of Rooney and Sturridge into positions they don't play is wrong, there are players available to pick from who would allow us to create a far better team shape tactically. I doubt the FA will be letting that happen though.

Maybe it's time to get radical with England, they just can't keep on going as they are.

How about sending the champions and their manager to the tournament as England, we should have given the Leicester players England shirts and made Claudio Ranieri the manager. The slots vacated by non English players replaced by the in form players regardless of the team they play for, friendlies ended. They are a waste of time and qualification games played by whoever the form team in the prem is, non English players again replaced by the form players in the league.

I think Leicester would have beaten Iceland last night, Saints would have too.

Maybe it's time to get radical with England, they just can't keep on going as they are.

How about sending the champions and their manager to the tournament as England, we should have given the Leicester players England shirts and made Claudio Ranieri the manager. The slots vacated by non English players replaced by the in form players regardless of the team they play for, friendlies ended. They are a waste of time and qualification games played by whoever the form team in the prem is, non English players again replaced by the form players in the league.

I think Leicester would have beaten Iceland last night, Saints would have too.

How about have no manager ...just a pool of coaches who all meet up when the players are at St.Georges prior to matches ?

Use the U21 Coaches and maybe Gary Neville , Dave Watson and then a young one like Howe....pay MoPo 1m quid a year part time to coach some structure and fitness in to them .

I wonder...

Forster

Clyne Chambers Bertrand Shaw

JWP Ox-C Lallana

Walcott Austin Redmond

Subs: Rodriguez, K Davis, Stephens, Targett, Cork, Crouch, Puncheon

Manager: Pardew/Adkins

The all Southampton/ex-Southampton English XI would beat the current England team I reckon. (Based on players still playing and ignoring the fact Kelvin just retired...)

How about have no manager ...just a pool of coaches who all meet up when the players are at St.Georges prior to matches ?

Use the U21 Coaches and maybe Gary Neville , Dave Watson and then a young one like Howe....pay MoPo 1m quid a year part time to coach some structure and fitness in to them .

Neville is a coaching leper now, a bit of a Phil 'yes boss' Neal.

How do people explain 50 years of continuous systematic failure of the England football set-up then? Surely it cannot all be down to the recently departed coaching set-up and current players or indeed having an English coaching set-up at all as opposed to a foreign one such as Capelli or Erikson?

We have accused generation after generation of being over-hyped, over-paid, over-egged and frivolous and yet come the next generation with so-called clean starts and no baggage (or WAGS in tow) the results remain the same.

There is something rotten in the State of English Football and the finger can only point at the FA - which is exactly what this over-bloated, self-grandiosing organisation has achieved in 50 years.

It is they who should be ashamed but there is not a hint of any of those faceless bureaucrats resigning this morning.

Give the job to the Premier League and leave to FA to run Sunday morning league football which apparently they are quite good at.

Spot on. FA stands for what they are good at. F**k All.

Since 1966 we've managed to win just six knockout games - Paraguay, Belgium, Cameroon, Spain (on penalties), Denmark and Ecuador. :scared:

SIX ****ing games in 50 years. Barely one ****ing knockout game won per decade.

we are not as good as we want to believe we are, it's that simple, we need to identify kids from a young age and then have the FA nuture their career regardless of the club they play at, and not force kids to go to team where they won't get a game, or be bit part players..... we have a a great "international league" but we shouldn't have have to pick a team from only players at "big" clubs, if your good enough, your good enough, stay where your happy, England will come come calling.......if only.......

Here's the DE's take on England's future. Not that I really care cause I am not English.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/14584688.Ward_Prowse_and_Redmond_for_England_/?ref=rss

But it's hard not to laugh at the description of Walker and Rose as reasonably entrenched in the fullback positions.

Walker proved again that he doesn't know how to defend. And Rose is just flat out useless both ways.

Edited by GarrettIvo

If the FA run to form then they will probably replace Woy with Gareth Southgate I expect. He will fullfill the principle job requirements in being respectable to the big Premier League clubs and is unlikley to do or say anything that will ever land the FA in trouble. He will also fail to win anything significant.

So no change there then.

Ok, my take on a possible way forward, although I'm no expert so polite [please] disagreement is acceptable ;)

I've gone for a fairly 'different' 2-3-2-3 formation - some might say it's 2-5-3, but I've gone for a defensive midfield option rather than 'attacking fullbacks', so they see themselves as more mobile midfielders - 2 wingers on each side, if you will, although they can 'squash in' if needed. The main thing is pace. They'll be like midges all over the opposition!

I've chosen players to [vaguely] fit the system, with some 'impact' players as options (Carroll, Sterling). Limited choices, of course, as well as my very limited knowledge.

No single playmaker, just a bunch of fellas who can play the ball and work as a team. Some positions/players interchangeable, before you start saying "he shouldn't be playing there." Total football.

No automatic starters. Everyone earns their place in the system.

They will leave their posh cars at home and take the train/Easyjet or cycle to training! No hotels, they'll stay in cheap accommodation/B&Bs with strict landladies - so they'll actually look forward to training as a relief.

No stupid haircuts or goal 'celebrations'. They'll work hard, feel the passion and earn their places. No squad captain: instead, team captain for each match depending on starting 11. There are enough senior players & characters here to lead the rest.

Probable starting 11:

-----------------Forster-----------------

---------Smalling-----Shawcross------

Clyne-------------Dier------------Shaw

-----------Alli------------Barkley-------

Vardy------------Kane--------Sturridge

Reserves:

Hart (GK)

Bertrand (D)

Walker (D)

Stones (D)

Drinkwater (M)

Albrighton (M)

Noble (M)

Sterling (F)

Rashford (F)

Welbeck (F)

Carroll (F)

Narrowly missing out/on call:

Jagielka, Baines, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner, Walcott

Boom!

Do I get the job? :D

Edited by 5string
2 x Shawcross. Eek!

Probable starting 11:

-----------------Forster-----------------

---------Smalling-----Shawcross------

Clyne-------------Dier------------Shaw

-----------Alli------------Barkley-------

Vardy------------Kane--------Sturridge

Reserves:

Hart (GK)

Bertrand (D)

Walker (D)

Stones (D)

Shawcross (D)

Drinkwater (M)

Albrighton (M)

Noble (M)

Sterling (F)

Rashford (F)

Welbeck (F)

Carroll (F)

Narrowly missing out/on call:

Jagielka, Baines, Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner, Walcott

Boom!

Do I get the job? :D

Well no because that's a crap side and Shawcross is in the first XI and in the reserves simultaneously.

Dier needs to be slung out as far as you can send him from midfield, he adds nothing there, needs to be a defender or nothing. He's passable at Spurs because Alderweireld and Vertonghen can both move the ball forward nicely, as we've seen with England when you have oafs like Smalling and Cahill it becomes more complicated.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Could have learned from Koeman this tournament. If your defence is lacking and you don't really have any wingers, AND you're looking for a way to play 2 up front, why not 3 at the back? We had time to practice it, but never did.

------Stones Smalling Bertrand-----

Clyne-----Dier----Alli------------Rose

-------------Lallana-------------------

---------Vardy----Kane---------------

I'd rather not play Milner, Henderson or Wilshere but we accidentally didn't take any central midfielders.

This would of been ideal, Clyne and Rose pretty much wingers, when Dier would drop in and cover, having both played at fullback many times Stones and Bertrand would simply move to the right and left. So it could fluidly turn into a 4-1-2-1-2 (wide) at times.

Instead we give Roy another 2 years after Brazil failure.

Edited by Saint IQ

Well no because that's a crap side and Shawcross is in the first XI and in the reserves simultaneously.

Dier needs to be slung out as far as you can send him from midfield, he adds nothing there, needs to be a defender or nothing. He's passable at Spurs because Alderweireld and Vertonghen can both move the ball forward nicely, as we've seen with England when you have oafs like Smalling and Cahill it becomes more complicated.

Apart from he (Dier) adds a lot more than Wilshere. Strongly believe if Roy had not made that change at half time we would of got back into the game or at least made more of a go of it, Dier was key in breaking up play and moving the ball quickly throughout the tournament, one of the only players who can hold his head high along with Lallana and Vardy.

Apart from he (Dier) adds a lot more than Wilshere. Strongly believe if Roy had not made that change at half time we would of got back into the game or at least made more of a go of it, Dier was key in breaking up play and moving the ball quickly throughout the tournament, one of the only players who can hold his head high along with Lallana and Vardy.

Adding a lot more than Wilshere is neither here nor there, Wilshere shouldn't have been in the squad, he was just the token Arsenal player in the lot.

It's got to be an English man for the England job, for me.

As much as I don't like the bloke, I believe Hoddle is made for the international game.

Bad points, (forgetting how he sh*t on SFC from a great height), he's proven in the past to have a screw loose and the side would probably be full of spurs players.

Good points, I'd say he's tactically astute, we saw when he was down here how he'd quickly change the shape of the team mid-game if it wasn't working, and we wouldn't have to suffer his match co-commentaries any longer - we could just switch off when it came to the after-match interviews.

And I also agree with those who suggest Allardyce, he has his way of dealing with over-paid-spoilt-brat-footballers, something this country needs right now. Whether there's another side to Long-Ball-Sam when he's got the best talent in the country at his disposal, he's a horses-for-courses type manager, but I would imagine even he could get that bunch performing better than the latest England failure. Whether the FA would fancy him?

Besides being a vile man, Hoddle is irrelevant in the modern game. I don't understand how he even gets pundit work after all his failures. The man failed with Wolves in the Championship more than a decade ago! Why does time somehow erode that failure? He was appalling. Is he managerial career built on a very short spell of Saints being alright?

His England team were alright, better than many because we went out with a bit of pride against a good side, but he still managed to ignore Le Tissier in his prime too.

Also, if his ridiculous comments had been about race rather than disability, the cock would have never worked again.

:thumbup:

It's got to be an English man for the England job, for me.

As much as I don't like the bloke, I believe Hoddle is made for the international game.

Bad points, (forgetting how he sh*t on SFC from a great height), he's proven in the past to have a screw loose and the side would probably be full of spurs players.

Good points, I'd say he's tactically astute, we saw when he was down here how he'd quickly change the shape of the team mid-game if it wasn't working, and we wouldn't have to suffer his match co-commentaries any longer - we could just switch off when it came to the after-match interviews.

And I also agree with those who suggest Allardyce, he has his way of dealing with over-paid-spoilt-brat-footballers, something this country needs right now. Whether there's another side to Long-Ball-Sam when he's got the best talent in the country at his disposal, he's a horses-for-courses type manager, but I would imagine even he could get that bunch performing better than the latest England failure. Whether the FA would fancy him?

Hoddle- Not for me out of the game too long and they just won't do it

Big Sam-Yes

No one cares about the quality of football in tournaments for England as long as they win.

Would be interesting to see how he'd work with a higher quality of players than he's ever had before as well.

Hoddle had some very good players to choose from for England.

Seaman, Campbell, Adams, Neville, Beckham, Scholes, Sheringham, McManaman, Owen, Rio Ferdinand.

All much, much better than their modern day equivalents. In fact, the squad we had in 98 is probably better than any of the squads in this tournament.

Yikes, Shawcross twice, missed that! Thanks for spotting. Edited. I even wondered about including him once!

Cahill is nowhere near my team - he is an oaf, as you say. So is Smalling, but he has time on his side and could reduce his oafishness. Dier in defence? Well, he's kind of 'hanging back' defensive midfield in this formation.

Well, it is a relatively crap side (I appreciate your attempts at politeness haha!), but I realised the limitations of choice when I was trying to put it together.

"Bobby Charlton was asked how he thought the England team of '66 would have fared against Iceland. " I think we'd have won 1-0 " he replied. "Only 1-0?" Said the reporter. "Yes," said Bobby. "Most of us are in our 70's now!""

( From FaceBook )

"Bobby Charlton was asked how he thought the England team of '66 would have fared against Iceland. " I think we'd have won 1-0 " he replied. "Only 1-0?" Said the reporter. "Yes," said Bobby. "Most of us are in our 70's now!""

( From FaceBook )

If you're going to tell one, tell an old one.

Maybe you should not go for an English manager on "all costs", but the best one available...

I'd love to see Guardiola or Klinsmann coach England, e.g.

England has got some great players and for the first time in ages a pretty young but still very useful squad. Now they need a great manager making them play to their full potential and they should have a great future.

Whoever we pick won't really matter as the FA just seem England as a Premier League All-Stars 11. Until someone is allowed to come in, drop the likes of Rooney and pick a player from the bottom half or Championship, because he happens to fit their system, nothing will change.

all these names being banded about in the news, hoddle or Redknapp... seriously? Surely the minimum criteria needs to be: 'Would they be able to manage a Premiership team this season?'. If there was any, and I mean a single shred of, doubt in that answer then it needs to be a flat out no. If the FA cant pick a manager for a national team equal to the quality Saints FC, Everton etc can shortlist and pick then we need to throw the towel in now.

Hodgson seemed to lose it whenever we got to the tournament proper , OK during qualifying then totally changing the way of playing at the last minute plus making strange team selections which played people out of position.

Although Big Sam is not the best manager ever he would , I think , have a plan and stick to it ! He's worth a try plus the media may eventually have to lower their expecations afterthis debacle .

Pelegrini? He wants to stay in England apparently, we'd pay him a decent wedge and it's a nice part time job for someone his age.

I don't see the fixation with having an English manager. Most of them are terrible.

Originally opted for Pards but I wouldn't be adverse to Wenger or Pellegrini or Big Sam. Would like a bit of passion on the side lines not some pathetic animal that looks like he might be run over with his resignation letter in his pocket.

Interested why you think Klinsman from what I have read he has been a terrible for USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because he know England, his way of letting teams plays suits England and he does speak English... ;)

His records with the US is quite OK, he took them quite far in tournaments and won some big games, before he came there, they were pretty awful.

But that's just one idea...