Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice

Heisenberg

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't really want him back, his mentality stinks.

Which is why I added the caveat about Hasenhuttl turning him around and getting him motivated. Probably very unlikely I know. But when on form he is a very good player and an ideal partner for Ward-Prowse when Hojbjerg leaves and wouldn't cost a penny out of the transfer budget as he is already here.

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Which is why I added the caveat about Hasenhuttl turning him around and getting him motivated. Probably very unlikely I know. But when on form he is a very good player and an ideal partner for Ward-Prowse when Hojbjerg leaves and wouldn't cost a penny out of the transfer budget as he is already here.

On form is a pretty big statement, he's never really been what I call on form. He just has moments in games every now and then! No doubting at all that he has technical ability, but his makeup as a professional his flawed IMO. I don't see that ever changing and he'll just become a journeyman from club to club for his career. Such a waste of ability, but he's on a lot of money here so hopefully we can shift that in the summer.

Edited by S-Clarke

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

On form is a pretty big statement, he's never really been what I call on form. He just has moments in games every now and then! No doubting at all that he has technical ability, but his makeup as a professional his flawed IMO. I don't see that ever changing and he'll just become a journeyman from club to club for his career. Such a waste of ability, but he's on a lot of money here so hopefully we can shift that in the summer.

@LeG mentioned Bertrand is a nightmare when we've had shit managers but fine with good managers, well Lemina might be the same and we now have a good manager for him to play under for the first time at Saints.

I doubt we will turn things round with him, but I think there are big upsides if they did manage to pull it off. Probably will head out on loan again.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Not much in his skills video to get you out of your seat. He is a very lazy player who only does it on the few occasions he can be bothered. I remember the first half in our league cup final against Man Utd he could barely be bothered to jog slowly around a small area of the pitch. Not someone I'd welcome back as he would detract from the team spirit that has been built.

4 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Not much in his skills video to get you out of your seat. 

The video shows him doing well what a player in his position should do. Win the ball back, make interceptions and pass it on. It isn't his role to do mazy dribbles down the wing or score goals.

24 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Not much in his skills video to get you out of your seat. He is a very lazy player who only does it on the few occasions he can be bothered. I remember the first half in our league cup final against Man Utd he could barely be bothered to jog slowly around a small area of the pitch. Not someone I'd welcome back as he would detract from the team spirit that has been built.

Wasn't with us that season, think he joined the summer after. Do you mean the SF v Chelsea?

Will always remember MOTD highlighting and analysing one of his early performances for us (WBA away i think). He was everywhere - breaking up play, great workrate, constantly pressuring opposition players, finding great passes. Thought we were onto something great but sadly it didnt transpire that way. People have blamed his attitude, others the managers he worked under. Either way its best we move him on (hopefully permanently) and find a replacement for him and Hojbjerg (probably just one player). Can see him going to France where he started his career

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2020 at 21:51, Katalinic said:

On his day, such as Palace and WBA away he is superb. Sadly his "days" are few and far between.

Will always remember that Palace match! It was like watching VVD at his best - simply much better than anyone else on the pitch. Shame about the attitude and the injuries meaning he never really replicated that. 

• Like 1

Maybe Ralph could work wonders with him - and what an absolute bonus that would be. Get him into the closing down, harrying, chasing down mindset.......but I really can't see him buying into that. Unfortunately my abiding memory of watching him play was "lazy - with a half-arsed, can't be bothered" attitude. I accept he may have had some good days (unfortunately I missed those) but when I watched him, it's sad to say, I really couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

24 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Maybe Ralph could work wonders with him - and what an absolute bonus that would be. Get him into the closing down, harrying, chasing down mindset.......but I really can't see him buying into that. Unfortunately my abiding memory of watching him play was "lazy - with a half-arsed, can't be bothered" attitude. I accept he may have had some good days (unfortunately I missed those) but when I watched him, it's sad to say, I really couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

Hopefully Ralph can get Mario onboard :)

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Galatasaray President Mustafa Cengiz  - "Lemina, as far as we know, the technical team is not in their plans."

Lemina will give it the big: “I only want a permanent transfer” etc only to limp off on loan somewhere.

If Ralph can't get a tune out of Boufal, getting one out of Lemina is going to be like pushing water up hill. Ralph wants engines prepared to go and go again, Lemina's record everywhere he has been is yet to see him play a full season - I was going to say his engine is like a 2CV but that is maligning what was a proper workhorse of a car, maybe an engine of  Lada.

He didn't really rip up any trees there either did he? He may have in 1 or 2 games, but generally he lacks application to be consistent. That's why he's a lost cause and there is no hope for him in a Ralph team. I'd be surprised if clubs are willing to spend cash on him because of this, so it will probably be a loan at the back end of September to a random lower European league.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He didn't really rip up any trees there either did he? He may have in 1 or 2 games, but generally he lacks application to be consistent. That's why he's a lost cause and there is no hope for him in a Ralph team. I'd be surprised if clubs are willing to spend cash on him because of this, so it will probably be a loan at the back end of September to a random lower European league.

Somewhere with nice scenery and good shops probably.

On 25/07/2020 at 19:48, Teddeer said:

Agree he was pretty anonymous in the final vs Man Utd. 😉

On 25/07/2020 at 19:44, Matthew Le God said:

@LeG mentioned Bertrand is a nightmare when we've had shit managers but fine with good managers, well Lemina might be the same and we now have a good manager for him to play under for the first time at Saints.

Lemina has already trained under and played in the league for Ralph Hasenhüttl, so it wouldn’t be the first time.

Edited by The Kraken

WERDER TRANSFERS: SOUTHAMPTON'S MARIO LEMINA A CANDIDATE IN BREMEN?

Bremen - Werder Bremen is currently playing a game that kicked off after last season and that will end on October 5th with the transfer closing. It's a game in which Frank Baumann is currently 2: 3 behind.

SV Werder Bremen gave up three central defensive midfielders (Vogt, Bargfrede, Sahin) after they had managed to stay in the league and replaced them with two new ones (Erras, Mbom). So there is still one missing until compensation. However, when asked by the DeichStube , sports director Frank Baumann neither confirms nor denies that it could possibly be made by loaning Mario Lemina from Southampton FC . He holds it like most of the times and doesn't comment on transfer rumors .

WERDER BREMEN: BROTHER OF MARIO LEMINA IS SAID TO HAVE BEEN IN BREMEN
The personality of Mario Lemina is still one such . The 26-year-old's name appeared on the “Wasum”, a Werder fan page. And it was said that Lemina's brother had even been to Bremen for talks. Baumann leaves it like that, just says: “I noticed that the name was making the rounds, but basically didn't say anything about it. It is well known that we still want to do something for the central defensive midfield. "

Mario Lemina would be a player for this position, a box-to-box player. One who works on the pitch. When the international from Gabon was sold by Juventus Turin to Southampton FC in 2017 , the English paid 17.25 million euros. Two years later, Lemina was awarded to Galatasaray Istanbul for the past season and is now back on the market despite good performances there - and now a candidate at SV Werder Bremen ? 

MARIO LEMINA COULD HELP WERDER BREMEN WELL
According to reports, Galatasaray cannot pay the required 16 million euros transfer fee, which is why another loan deal is possible - not necessarily again to Turkey, where Besiktas should also be interested, but to the Bundesliga . At Werder Bremen there is a need, and Mario Lemina has a fundamental quality. After becoming world champion with France's U20s in 2013, his professional career initially took off at Olympique Marseille . Juventus was the next stop, then Southampton and finally Galatasaray. (csa)

-------------------------------------------------------

Source: https://www.deichstube.de/news/werder-bremen-mario-lemina-transfer-fc-southampton-wechsel-bundesliga-leihe-england-13858550.html

Just now, stevy777_x said:

Just lower the asking price and be done with it.

what is the point of pricing him out. We ll just end up losing money by just picking up a loan fee plus subsizing Part of his wages

Agreed, should be accepting something like 9 or 8m for him. Something is better than nothing. I know we probably want our money back, but that is simply never, ever going to happen.

51 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

what is the point of pricing him out. We ll just end up losing money by just picking up a loan fee plus subsizing Part of his wages

Agreed. Cut price sale on our deadwood;

Lemina £10million

Boufal £5million

Forster £5million

Carrillo £3million (he really is that bad, might even struggle to get that)

Elyounoussi £5million

Hoedt £3million

Gunn £5million

Reed £10million

£46million brought in and anywhere between £350,000-450,000 a week saved in wages. We wouldn't miss them at all so they wouldn't need replacing (besides Gunn) and it would allow us to sign a Hojberg replacement and a new goalkeeper. 

You can even chuck Vestergard in there and suddenly you've got over £60million to spend on a keeper, centreback and midfielder.

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

Lemina £10million

Boufal £5million

Forster £5million

Elyounoussi £5million

Hoedt £3million

Gunn £5million

Reed £10million

£46million brought in and anywhere between £350,000-450,000 a week saved in wages. We wouldn't miss them at all so they wouldn't need replacing (besides Gunn) and it would allow us to sign a Hojberg replacement and a new goalkeeper. 

It doesn't save their entire wage as they'd need to be subsidised. No club for example would sign Carrillo even at £1p if they had to match or get remotely close to his current wage. Same applies to lots of the others.

51 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Completely agree. Whilst it’s not as easy as simply saying sell them all, we aren’t in a strong bargaining position with most of them so really should take what we can. Keeping them whilst loaning them out subsidizing wages and losing for nothing is no good to us at all. 

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It doesn't save their entire wage as they'd need to be subsidised. No club for example would sign Carrillo even at £1p if they had to match or get remotely close to his current wage. Same applies to lots of the others.

Hence why I gave a low end estimate. 

Whatever it is, it'll be more than enough to bring in the 3 players we'd need to be in a really good position going into next season.

Edited by Saint_clark

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Lemina £10million

Boufal £5million

Forster £5million

Elyounoussi £5million

Hoedt £3million

Gunn £5million

Reed £10million

You can even chuck Vestergard in there and suddenly you've got over £60million to spend on a keeper, centreback and midfielder.

Other clubs will just wait till late in the window and grab a season long loan bargain from us, subsided wages and smaller fee. Not much money flowing around this transfer window so far.

9 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Lemina £10million

Boufal £5million

Forster £5million

Elyounoussi £5million

Hoedt £3million

Gunn £5million

Reed £10million

These players have signed contracts with the club playing football is their job .

How would you like it if it happened to you 

1 hour ago, John B said:

These players have signed contracts with the club playing football is their job .

2 of them hardly play and the rest are being sent out on loan for a year at a time. If it were me i'd want to do my job and also have a bit of stability knowing where i'd be playing for at least a couple of years. Wouldn't you?

1 hour ago, John B said:

Which is why we should sell them, so they can do their job. 

If a player leaves without submitting a transfer request, I understood you have to pay the entirety of players contract up. I read this in the Secret Footballer and I swear Crouchie has also confirmed this. There are also 'loyalty bonuses' that have to be paid, so the situation is not as simple as 'sell them for whatever price and get them off the books', as this could represent a massive and irresponsible loss.

This must be a big factor in us running these contracts down and accepting loan fees and small contributions on wages, so at least we reducing our losses rather than having one much bigger loss. It's not ideal from a squad perspective, but it helps the financial position. If we did as suggested above, we could be hamstrung from offering new contracts or signing anyone for year. So we just have to limp along a bit and be grateful we've got a manager that can get the best out of a small group!

Edited by Saint Mikey

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice