Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice

Heisenberg

I think he could be a decent CM, I've seen evidence of it on the pitch.  If there's a manager out there that can get his mind right and get some consistency out of him, he could prove very useful.  Big if though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Weird, isn’t it? What do they know that we don’t?

Potentially low-risk, high-reward if they can get the best out of him. If not, no great loss at a few million.

July 22

Southampton are holding out for a fee in the region of £8 million to sanction Mario Lemina’s move away from the club, report Dan Sheldon and Chris Waugh.

The St Mary’s side are ready to strike a deal with potential buyers if the overall figure, inclusive of add-ons, hits around the £8 million mark.

Lemina has less than a year remaining on his contract and spent last season on loan at Fulham.

And the 27-year-old isn’t short of suitors, with both Newcastle and Watford showing an interest in the central midfielder.

Newcastle’s head of recruitment, Steve Nickson, watched Lemina last season as the club regularly scouted the Gabon international. It is understood that Steve Bruce is keen to sign a defensive midfielder this summer and Lemina features high on his list of targets.

Lemina also has suitors in France’s Ligue 1, where it’s understood Nice are viewed as a potential destination.

Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl has been impressed by the midfielder’s work ethic since reporting for pre-season at the start of July.

But he wasn’t handed a squad number and the plan has always been for him to depart the club.

Had Fulham avoided relegation, they would have been obliged to buy the former Juventus midfielder as part of initial loan deal.

Lemina joined Southampton in 2017 for just over £15 million and has gone on to play 52 times for the Premier League side.

Since Hasenhuttl took charge in December 2018, the midfielder has struggled to force his way into the Austrian’s plans.

He spent the 2019-20 season on loan at Galatasaray before departing Southampton for the capital last summer.

Edited by SuperSAINT

It’s actually really frustrating as Lemina is the sort of player we’re crying out for and I think would suit Ralph’s system. He has a bit of Naby Keita at RB about him. 

However, his time is clearly up here. His attitude is / was a disgrace and in a team that’s inevitably gonna struggle next season, he’s not the type we need around. 

£8m would be a great result for the club. 

12 minutes ago, SKD said:

It’s actually really frustrating as Lemina is the sort of player we’re crying out for and I think would suit Ralph’s system. He has a bit of Naby Keita at RB about him. 

However, his time is clearly up here. His attitude is / was a disgrace and in a team that’s inevitably gonna struggle next season, he’s not the type we need around. 

£8m would be a great result for the club. 

No doubt we’re a bit short in central midfield.  I know Armstrong can cover but never sure that’s ideal when he’s probably the best wide 10 that we have.

6 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-mario-lemina-southampton-transfer-5684041.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I really hope Mario stays as he gives us another strong option in midfield. Ralph only said the other day that he had being impressed with him since he returned for pre season training :)

I think Ralph said a similar thing about Boufal when he came back from a loan. He was shipped out shortly afterwards.

7 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-mario-lemina-southampton-transfer-5684041.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I really hope Mario stays as he gives us another strong option in midfield. Ralph only said the other day that he had being impressed with him since he returned for pre season training :)

Encouraging that all our returning loanees are putting in maximum effort and looking utterly superb in training. TBH though Ralph's hardly going to say that they're all shit and he can't wait to get rid of them.

image.thumb.jpeg.f5d1119801c927f784c2e0e20c4545b7.jpeg

Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina is edging closer to sealing a move to Nice after he arrived in France this evening.

It’s understood that the two clubs are extremely close to agreeing a fee for the 27-year-old.

Was there interest from elsewhere?

Lemina had attracted Premier League interest from both Watford and Newcastle but looks set to end his spell at St Mary’s with a switch to Ligue 1.

The Athletic previously reported that Southampton were holding out for a deal, including add-ons, that totals around £8 million.

Why are Southampton letting him go?

Even though it was always expected he’d leave this summer, Lemina has impressed Ralph Hasenhuttl with his work ethic and commitment during the first two weeks of pre-season.

However, he has less than a year remaining on his Southampton contract after joining for over £15m in August 2017.

The central midfielder spent last season on loan at Fulham and would have signed for them permanently had they avoided relegation to the Championship.

Since joining Southampton from Juventus, Lemina has made 52 appearances for the Premier League club.

Nobody is going to be giving us £8m for a player that has one year on his contract and we have no desire to keep. We would have ended up loaning him out if we had to.

Any fee is a bonus but no chance it will be £8m, as proven by Crook reporting it.

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Nobody is going to be giving us £8m for a player that has one year on his contract and we have no desire to keep. We would have ended up loaning him out if we had to.

Any fee is a bonus but no chance it will be £8m, as proven by Crook reporting it.

It's probably a package which 'could', but is incredibly unlikely to reach those levels. 

4-5m is prob what we can expect staged over two payments I reckon. And that alone is a bonus as I thought we'd end up loaning him.

So...#unsellables wise....we have sold Hoedt (kind of), Lemina (almost), Carillo (Given away), Boufal (given away). Not sure if I've missed any, but that's some decent wedge off the wage bill over the last year or so - just a shame about the £50m+ loss we've had to make in the process. Cheers Les.

Just Elyonoussi from that group....but I think he's going to be given a first team chance.

Just now, Sir Ralph said:

Not bad at all considering he only has a year left on his contract. Pleasantly surprised.....

It's all in the detail. £8m package, not £8m fee. Could be anything - £2m towards his final year wages which we pay and £2m fee + £4m in unachievable add ons, for example. 

Regardless, I'll be glad to see the back of him. One of the biggest ego's we've ever signed. 

6 minutes ago, egg said:

It's all in the detail. £8m package, not £8m fee. Could be anything - £2m towards his final year wages which we pay and £2m fee + £4m in unachievable add ons, for example. 

Regardless, I'll be glad to see the back of him. One of the biggest ego's we've ever signed. 

Yes I’m aware the £8m isn’t up front but still if we have the chance of “recouping” £8m I still think that’s pretty decent business considering the flop he has been for us. I think his season at Fulham has helped us get a much better overall deal.

Alternatively lemina could have dug his heals in and said he would run his contract down. We might have got £1.5 million (plus wage cover) for one year loan before the end of his contract. considering we think Williams is too expensive at £2m the £1.5m may even have been optimistic.

hence the conclusion that the overall deal doesn’t sound bad on the face of it

also a massive ego and pleased to say goodbye to him and his Instagram account

Edited by Sir Ralph

Great player when he can be bothered but always got the impression he liked the footballer lifestyle much more than being a footballer. Best off we get rid, good move for him, he’ll loving living in nice and being able to go down to Monaco at weekend, good we got a fee for him too. Another one down. If we can get shot of one of our two crap keepers that’s a pretty good window in terms of shifting the deadwood.

• Like 1

Jeez, if he’s not part of the plans, get rid. Did we not turn down a bid years ago because we thought he was worth more? Ended up costing us a shed load more if so. Are we going to do the same thing again? Hopefully Crocker and Steele can match football and finance needs. 

1 minute ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Jeez, if he’s not part of the plans, get rid. Did we not turn down a bid years ago because we thought he was worth more? Ended up costing us a shed load more if so. Are we going to do the same thing again? Hopefully Crocker and Steele can match football and finance needs. 

It's amazing that the club does some good, hard-nosed negotiating to get a bigger fee and people think that's a bad thing

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Mario Lemina - Official: Signs for Nice