Saints Vs Brighton Thread

magnet

Well you aren't going to get direct quotes saying "yeah he needs to win or we're sacking him", are you?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

why not? I assume if its true MoPe would have been told that is the case so it would hardly be news to him. But regardless if it was leaked by the club it wouldn't have been leaked to the mirror. Also the buying of Guido points to MoPe not getting the sack. I can't see Les "we plan for the future" Reed sanctioning the buying in a player so clearly the manger's choice (especially at the price paid) just to fire the manager a week later.

why not? I assume if its true MoPe would have been told that is the case so it would hardly be news to him. But regardless if it was leaked by the club it wouldn't have been leaked to the mirror. Also the buying of Guido points to MoPe not getting the sack. I can't see Les "we plan for the future" Reed sanctioning the buying in a player so clearly the manger's choice (especially at the price paid) just to fire the manager a week later.

The thing is, I just cannot see the board standing by and doing nothing if we come out of the next two games with zero points or just one point. How could they? There is way too much at stake for them to believe that we still have time to improve under MP if we get next to nothing from two crucial games. It doesn’t make football sense to persist with him in such circumstances, and it certainly doesn’t make business sense to stick with him and watch 9 years of hard work go down the tubes. Whatever we may surmise about Reed, Krueger and Gao, they simply cannot be that stupid or blinkered. It would make no sense. It’s not logical.

The thing is, I just cannot see the board standing by and doing nothing if we come out of the next two games with zero points or just one point. How could they? There is way too much at stake for them to believe that we still have time to improve under MP if we get next to nothing from two crucial games. It doesn’t make football sense to persist with him in such circumstances, and it certainly doesn’t make business sense to stick with him and watch 9 years of hard work go down the tubes. Whatever we may surmise about Reed, Krueger and Gao, they simply cannot be that stupid or blinkered. It would make no sense. It’s not logical.

The board would still have to have someone lined up, to come in and hit the ground running.........

Should we be able to get the alleged 4 points the board see as a minimum requirement of the next 2 games???...hell yes with the squad we have.

Will we however???...I'm afraid we will not!

I watched the whole of the Chelsea v Brighton game last week and the 4-0 scoreline flattered Chelsea. Brighton were well organised and very determined...and incredibly unlucky not to have scored 2/3 goals themselves.

They were very dangerous from set pieces and high balls being played in from the wings.

Last season we had the dominant VVD that won everything in the air....now we have no dominant figure at the back and are easily out muscled when balls are played into the box.

Given that we struggle to score goals, we defend way too deep and have a manager that shuts up shop the minute we do score, I can see Brighton winning this 2-1 and then losing 2-0 on Saturday to a JROD brace!

I honestly cannot understand what our board thinks will change under this manager....he is a total coward and refuses to go for the oppositions throat.

He’s so mentally weak I think as a crowd our reactions en masses can actually have an influence.

Is he though? He's had nothing but abuse and criticism from his own fans and he's stuck with how HE wants to do things. I wouldn't call that mentally weak. Bowing to every average joe who thinks they know better would be weak.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Should we be able to get the alleged 4 points the board see as a minimum requirement of the next 2 games???...hell yes with the squad we have.

Will we however???...I'm afraid we will not!

I watched the whole of the Chelsea v Brighton game last week and the 4-0 scoreline flattered Chelsea. Brighton were well organised and very determined...and incredibly unlucky not to have scored 2/3 goals themselves.

They were very dangerous from set pieces and high balls being played in from the wings.

Last season we had the dominant VVD that won everything in the air....now we have no dominant figure at the back and are easily out muscled when balls are played into the box.

Given that we struggle to score goals, we defend way too deep and have a manager that shuts up shop the minute we do score, I can see Brighton winning this 2-1 and then losing 2-0 on Saturday to a JROD brace!

I honestly cannot understand what our board thinks will change under this manager....he is a total coward and refuses to go for the oppositions throat.

People keep saying that despite it clearly not being true. This is a team with a 11% conversion rate, who have won less than half their aerial duels, and are completing only 79% of their passes a lot of that isn't down to the manager (I'm not saying the manager is blameless) but players not doing their jobs properly the players are not as good as people think they are.

McCarthy

Cedric - Stephens - Hoedt - A.Fit Left-Back

Lemina - Hojbjerg

JWP - Boufal - Tadic

Carrillo

Subs: Forster, Yoshida, Davis, Romeu, Sims, Long, Gabbi

JWP to whip in some pinpoint crosses for Carrillo please.

Saints 2 Brighton 0

Sure they won’t just be moaning entitled cnts who will slate Boufal? The sort that give up on their STs if not suitably entertained,

Possibly but that's none of yours , Then again they could be happy clappers who just moan about other posters !

People keep saying that despite it clearly not being true. This is a team with a 11% conversion rate, who have won less than half their aerial duels, and are completing only 79% of their passes a lot of that isn't down to the manager (I'm not saying the manager is blameless) but players not doing their jobs properly the players are not as good as people think they are.

Can't agree with you there (which is fine as different people have different opinions). MoPe is on record time and again that defense is his first and only thought and that is how he instructs the team to play - pretty sure some of the players ignore this at times and why they are the benched or out of the squad. If you expect the negative, it will most likely happen. MoPe would be better suited as an insurance assessor or safety officer.

Anyway 79% pass completion seems good to me.

Can't agree with you there (which is fine as different people have different opinions). MoPe is on record time and again that defense is his first and only thought and that is how he instructs the team to play - pretty sure some of the players ignore this at times and why they are the benched or out of the squad. If you expect the negative, it will most likely happen. MoPe would be better suited as an insurance assessor or safety officer.

Anyway 79% pass completion seems good to me.

The point is regardless of the Manager (and the current one is doing plenty wrong) the players are letting us down you can't hold MoPe (or Puel before him) responsible for an 11% conversion rate that is on the players on the pitch. Wining only 46% of aerial duels is an issue which can't be laid at the managers door, it's either, the players not doing their job properly or our recruitment has given us a team of midgets who can't head a ball. That's not a get out for the manager (who is making plenty of bad decisions) but until we get a player(or players) that can convert more of the chances we do create and player (or players) that can counter the oppositions big **** off CF in the air we are going to struggle to score goals and keep them out of our own net.

Dear god, while I think Pellegrino has been terrible (although signs of improvement from a very low base in recent weeks) I would not want Hughes within a 100 miles of our club. Absolute c**t who destroyed QPR and did a very, very poor job at Stoke after being heavily backed by the chairman.

Would be an absolutely terrible appointment.

Dear god, while I think Pellegrino has been terrible (although signs of improvement from a very low base in recent weeks) I would not want Hughes within a 100 miles of our club. Absolute c**t who destroyed QPR and did a very, very poor job at Stoke after being heavily backed by the chairman.

Poor job at Stoke? They finished 9th three years in a row. That's not too bad.

Clearly didn't do a "very, very poor" job at Stoke. 9th three seasons in a row (their highest position since the early 70s) is not "very very poor" under any measure, anywhere.

He's simply been there too long and unlucky with injuries this season. Ran out of ideas.

He failed at QPR, but that was a chaotic time at that club. He has been successful at every other club He's been at. In some cases very successful.

If he took over tomorrow my confidence of staying up would increase twenty-fold.

Not sexy, not exciting but neither were Hodgson, Allardyce or Puel and they ain't going down either.

You could use that to justify any poor management. The fans did not turn up and abuse him from day 1. Far from it. They've remained behind the team but people are frustrated and bored.

Sticking with something that hasn't shown any signs of working isn't to be commended. For every successful person saying they got where they were because they stuck to their guns, ignored all the naysayers etc., there are millions who did exactly the same and failed miserably. They just don't write books about them.

On the plus side he has got points against Arsenal, Spurs and Utd. Very nearly against City. We are underwhelming for sure but everyone making out he is a clown is ridiculous. Same were banging on similarly about Puel. Basically win with flair - not too much to ask is it. Everyone else does it easily.

On the plus side he has got points against Arsenal, Spurs and Utd. Very nearly against City. We are underwhelming for sure but everyone making out he is a clown is ridiculous. Same were banging on similarly about Puel. Basically win with flair - not too much to ask is it. Everyone else does it easily.
we are 18th in the league.

and you are telling me he is not a clown?

each to their own

we are 18th in the league.

and you are telling me he is not a clown?

each to their own

Well clearly he is not a clown he is managing a team which lacks goal scoring attacking players which has been apparent for the last two seasons

Puel had the same problem last season but seems to be doing OK at Leicester.

Puel did better last season with VVD playing well we had a better defence and Fraser was not such a liability.

Now that McCarthy is fully fit he has been replaced and things are getting better

Well clearly he is not a clown he is managing a team which lacks goal scoring attacking players which has been apparent for the last two seasons

Puel had the same problem last season but seems to be doing OK at Leicester.

Puel did better last season with VVD playing well we had a better defence and Fraser was not such a liability.

Now that McCarthy is fully fit he has been replaced and things are getting better

Good. look forward to a comfortable win on weds then

Our play is generally too ponderous and predictable this season. Whenever Saints take to the field these days you see the same few patterns of play being repeated over and over. There is no spark of imagination or innovation to excite us or confuse opponents. Any team that faces us will have watched a few videos of Saints in recent matches and seen just how repetitive, limited and one dimensional our patterns of play are. By and large we are a team of non-athletic, slow running players that move the ball around sideways and backwards before speculatively launching hopeful balls down the traditional channels for slow runners to chase.

Setting up to counter this is child's paly as most teams have found out and Brighton will be no different. they will set up defensive tactics from the outset knowing that if they can absorb the initial 5 or 10 mins of enthusiasm of our front runners, their task of doing enough to earn a 0-0 draw will more or less have been completed. I honestly doubt they'll be too adventurous for much of the first half maybe a couple of quick breaks now and then to launch long balls into the box onto Murray's head. After the break we will become increasingly desperate and more ragged, gaps will appear, attacks will break down quickly and panic substitutions such as Yoshida on for Tadic will be made as we battle to hold onto a point and Brighton gradually exploit our lack of discipline and pressure for a possible late winner.

It's hard to see past a 0-0 stalemate and I for one will be praying that Stephens and Hoedt don't nod off in the later stages to let them have too many free headers.

Sdaly it is unlikely to be the result that we are all hoping for as Saints do what they always do best when must win games come along, disappoint.

Despite this Pellegrino will be encouraged by what he alone sees as the steady improvement of his squad towards some unwritten utopian vision of a great team, Les will swallow this bull**** once again as he bottles the now too late grasping of the nettle.

As he would say, there's always West Brom at the weekend to turn our season around....

Our play is generally too ponderous and predictable this season. Whenever Saints take to the field these days you see the same few patterns of play being repeated over and over. There is no spark of imagination or innovation to excite us or confuse opponents. Any team that faces us will have watched a few videos of Saints in recent matches and seen just how repetitive, limited and one dimensional our patterns of play are. By and large we are a team of non-athletic, slow running players that move the ball around sideways and backwards before speculatively launching hopeful balls down the traditional channels for slow runners to chase.

Setting up to counter this is child's paly as most teams have found out and Brighton will be no different. they will set up defensive tactics from the outset knowing that if they can absorb the initial 5 or 10 mins of enthusiasm of our front runners, their task of doing enough to earn a 0-0 draw will more or less have been completed. I honestly doubt they'll be too adventurous for much of the first half maybe a couple of quick breaks now and then to launch long balls into the box onto Murray's head. After the break we will become increasingly desperate and more ragged, gaps will appear, attacks will break down quickly and panic substitutions such as Yoshida on for Tadic will be made as we battle to hold onto a point and Brighton gradually exploit our lack of discipline and pressure for a possible late winner.

It's hard to see past a 0-0 stalemate and I for one will be praying that Stephens and Hoedt don't nod off in the later stages to let them have too many free headers.

Sdaly it is unlikely to be the result that we are all hoping for as Saints do what they always do best when must win games come along, disappoint.

Despite this Pellegrino will be encouraged by what he alone sees as the steady improvement of his squad towards some unwritten utopian vision of a great team, Les will swallow this bull**** once again as he bottles the now too late grasping of the nettle.

As he would say, there's always West Brom at the weekend to turn our season around....

There's a dispiriting truth in what you write. I see some hope for more zip and intensity if the following players start (excluding the back 4 or 5).....Boufal, Tadic, Lemina, Hojbjerg, Romeu, Gabbiadini and Carillo....(LOng an impact sub as a wide runner).

It's crazy we have let ourselves get into this situation, I really think it's win or were ****ed Wednesday. What happens if we lose our next two - sack the manager after he has just spent £19mill on one of his mates and get a manager in just after the transfer window has ended.

The list of managers who would want the job is going down by the day and the chance they have to do much about it ends this Wednesday night - cheers Les.

Mccarthy

Cedric Stephens Hoedt Mcqueen

Hojberg Romeu Lemina

Boufal Long Tadic

Subs: Forster, Pied, Yoshida, JWP, Davis, Carrillo, Gabbi, Hesketh

Not sure going aerially against a team strong in that department is the way to go, so i wouldn't start Carrillo.

Long's qualities will be wasted against a team that will sit deep with men behind the ball. I reckon we will do most of the attacking so might as well throw in Gudio and see if he can bury some of the many crosses I expect us to put in.

We shouldn't need three DMs against Brighton so play Boufal in the hole behind Gudio with Gabbi and Tadic out wide and ****ing attack them.

Clearly didn't do a "very, very poor" job at Stoke. 9th three seasons in a row (their highest position since the early 70s) is not "very very poor" under any measure, anywhere.

He's simply been there too long and unlucky with injuries this season. Ran out of ideas.

He failed at QPR, but that was a chaotic time at that club. He has been successful at every other club He's been at. In some cases very successful.

If he took over tomorrow my confidence of staying up would increase twenty-fold.

Not sexy, not exciting but neither were Hodgson, Allardyce or Puel and they ain't going down either.

Yep, agree with this. He'll be brought in to do a job and that's what he'll do. Probably have us top half of PL on a consistent basis.

He actually done a very good job at Stoke. He has completely changed the way they play and as you have said finished 9th 3 seasons in a row.

There is certainly better out there but he is competent enough to keep us up.

It's crazy we have let ourselves get into this situation, I really think it's win or were ****ed Wednesday. What happens if we lose our next two - sack the manager after he has just spent £19mill on one of his mates and get a manager in just after the transfer window has ended.

The list of managers who would want the job is going down by the day and the chance they have to do much about it ends this Wednesday night - cheers Les.

Jesus mate we haven't lost yet, grow a pair!

We simply must win, a draw at this stage of the season will not be enough.

On paper would should beat Brighton, but Ulloa against Stephens / Yoshida is worrying.

I imagine they will sit deep so it will be key to play Carrillo.

I work with someone who is a Brighton fan and he thinks they are down if they don't win this as we would leapfrog them (as well as a few other teams) and their last 5 games are pretty harsh.

I think we'll win but it could be a case of again going one up and defending on our goal line for 30 mins but due to the fact that Brighton are a lot more useless than us at scoring we'll scrape it 1-0.

I work with someone who is a Brighton fan and he thinks they are down if they don't win this as we would leapfrog them (as well as a few other teams) and their last 5 games are pretty harsh.

I think we'll win but it could be a case of again going one up and defending on our goal line for 30 mins but due to the fact that Brighton are a lot more useless than us at scoring we'll scrape it 1-0.

Relegation is going to be down to the wire this season I reckon. No one from Everton down is really safe yet and no one is really been cut adrift at the bottom. The whole bottom half of the league are bang average.

Relegation is going to be down to the wire this season I reckon. No one from Everton down is really safe yet and no one is really been cut adrift at the bottom. The whole bottom half of the league are bang average.

We were just discussing that, usually with 10 games or so to go there is one definite team down and likely suspects from about 5 others. I think the whole bottom half of the table will be in the shake up until 6-7 to go and there could be 5-6 teams that could go down on the last day. Going to be tense and, as long as we stay up, exciting. We already know who has won the league, it's all about the wrong half of the table for me.