Wigan 0 Saints 2 - Post Match Thread

Secret Site Agent

First half was horrendous, no confidence scared to pass the ball forward. Giving the ball away to easily. Amount of times I say screaming at the telly pass the ducking ball forwards.....

Second half looked better actually had the ball on the ground passing.... More composure I still don't rate that 19 million striker the amount we paid seems a bit excessive... Gabba had good movement.The subs were good romeu and Long to see out the game.

Good, battling win which will help morale. Was kinda 424 which meant we had no playmaker in an advanced central midfield position to spray wide or keep up with runs, although Gabbi did try (good game from him irrespective of penalty miss. With the state of the pitch, the weather and Wigan chasing hard, Romeu could have come in a bit earlier to free up Hoj but the Manager got the win so can't complain. Now can we do this vs WH? I think the whole team did OK, certainly better than last few weeks.

Semi and off to Wembley,... happy days?

COYS

Pity the keeper made such a great save from the penalty, would have done Gabbiadini the world of good.

If he carries on with two strikers I would play Long with Gabbiadini if only cos he can win the ball in the air and he will create space. As a lone striker Long is awful, they all are. As part of a two it’s a different story.

Still trying to get used to this winning feeling. Really worried for first half hour but we gradually started to get into it and dominated the second half. Penalty should have wrapped up the game. Gabbi hit it well enough but to a place the keeper could reach sadly. Won't help his confidence.

I definitely think Paul Cook said what he said to wind the morons up down the road. :lol:

Much better second half, more purposeful going forwards and a bit of fluidity back. We won’t stay up on having a miserly defence though - we’re bad back there. I think Stephens with a dominant CB partner would be useful, Hoedt does him no favours at all. Half he time, he’s he wrong side of his man or marking Stephens. Yoshida please.

As for Carrillo... absolutely ineffective. It says something when your forward play becomes infinitely more heartening when Shane Long is brought on ... and he’s pretty down on is luck himself.

Well done Wigan and good luck for the rest of the season.

It’s great to win and by more than one game. I hope that Hughes learns much from this game and the players take courage, fight and confidence from it.

I want Guido to do well, really do...but I’m not seeing enough from him and I think this is largely down to his movement and positioning which is quite poor. Whether that’s due to others not finding him at the right time is arguable - I don’t think so...he just isn’t in the right place at the right time...ever.

I thought Cedrics goal was World class - in the move he looked Henry-like than Redmond...way way better, although admittedly Redmond created the opportunity. Gabbi made the pen too easy to call...left footed player will generally most times hit to left of the keepers down guess what the keeper pulled what looks like Worldy!

Jekyll and Hyde.

First half utterly horrible.

2nd so much more composed.

Got to give Hughes credit for actually causing an effect with his ht team talk and reasonable tactical moves.

On the negative side, can we please have someone on penalties able to confidently place it right in the corner. Don’t care how hard gabbi hit it bbc it was a perfect height for a goalkeeper.

Ohh and Carrillo is still garbage. Long was much better in his cameo imo.

Yes, we must have a regular penalty taker who can actually score, Bertrand has scored and he is captain, JWP has scored but doesn't always play, Gabbi has taken two and not scored either. So who should it be?

It’s great to win and by more than one game. I hope that Hughes learns much from this game and the players take courage, fight and confidence from it.

I want Guido to do well, really do...but I’m not seeing enough from him and I think this is largely down to his movement and positioning which is quite poor. Whether that’s due to others not finding him at the right time is arguable - I don’t think so...he just isn’t in the right place at the right time...ever.

I thought Cedrics goal was World class - in the move he looked Henry-like than Redmond...way way better, although admittedly Redmond created the opportunity. Gabbi made the pen too easy to call...left footed player will generally most times hit to left of the keepers down guess what the keeper pulled what looks like Worldy!

I don't think he's great. I don't think he was ever going to get any change from their 2 lumps at the back.

He put a shift in though. If he's going to be our next Mickey Evans, he needs to score in the next game.

Terrible first half better second. Still a lot of issues for Hughes to work on a PL side would have field day in the first half.

Even second half I felt we dropped deep after the first goal but a good second put some gloss on the result.

Still no sign of strikers scoring which is a worry (though was that Guido's third assist with a near post flick on for Hoj's goal?)

Defence still looks very shaky but not sure their is much the manager can do with the current squad.

Nice to see Redmond putting in a couple of good balls for the penalty and Cedric's goal.

and a shout out for McCarthy who looks so much better than Forster in goal.

I just feel relieved after that. A game of 2 halves, but encouraging that Hughes gets them going after a team talk.

What were the odds on those 2 scoring before the game?! (Lovely take from Cedric BTW).

Fullbacks put in a shift. Hoedt/Stephens looked good. Thought Redmond was good when he came on.

I will enjoy this feel-good feeling while I can!

Yes, we must have a regular penalty taker who can actually score, Bertrand has scored and he is captain, JWP has scored but doesn't always play, Gabbi has taken two and not scored either. So who should it be?

I would give them to Bertrand as strikes a good ball and seems to have a bit more bottle than the others.

And there's the evidence of having a competent manager. Positive team selection, effective half time team talk and the right subs at the right time. Well done Sparky, looking forward to the rest of the season now. I think we'll be OK.

And there's the evidence of having a competent manager. Positive team selection, effective half time team talk and the right subs at the right time. Well done Sparky, looking forward to the rest of the season now. I think we'll be OK.

This basically. We weren't very good first half but we were still better than we were under Pellegrino and we looked like a different side second half like, you know, the manager actually influenced things.

Carillo is a total non entity. Most expensive non scoring striker we have ever bought. He needs time which he hasn't got. Drop him and put him with the U23 lot to learn how to score. Maybe with time he could come good.

Have to say he looks utter utter crap.

Terrible first half better second. Still a lot of issues for Hughes to work on a PL side would have field day in the first half.

Even second half I felt we dropped deep after the first goal but a good second put some gloss on the result.

Still no sign of strikers scoring which is a worry (though was that Guido's third assist with a near post flick on for Hoj's goal?)

Defence still looks very shaky but not sure their is much the manager can do with the current squad.

Nice to see Redmond putting in a couple of good balls for the penalty and Cedric's goal.

Agree with this.

Carillo getting all the stick. But he didn't miss a one on one and a penalty. Also motd showing his running in the corner routine giving Hoj the space to score.

Gabbiadini is likely to be rusty and lacking on confidence after so much time on the bench. We know he can score, give him time to get back into it. Cedric's goal was bizarrely brilliant, 100 yards covered from RB to upfront on the left, no way he'd have done that if MoPe had still been here

Carillo is a total non entity. Most expensive non scoring striker we have ever bought. He needs time which he hasn't got. Drop him and put him with the U23 lot to learn how to score. Maybe with time he could come good.

I missed the start of the game and the team sheets etc.

I didn't know Carillo was playing until he was substituted off!

Worrying first half but better 2nd and seemed to play with more freedom and confidence. Still early days but a win should give everyone a bit of a lift. My concern is corillo, just doesn’t look like he’s gonna score but pele was the same at first. I’d go long and gabbiadini for West Ham.

Disagree on the point about dropping too deep after first goal, I felt that we were continuing to try to push forward and go for a second goal, which ultimately we got. Wigan were bound to try and attack us in last few minutes but I thought we coped alright in general and our approach after going in front was certainly better than what we saw with MP in charge!

Of course, there are loads more areas for improvement, but sure Hughes is well aware of that!

Worrying first half but better 2nd and seemed to play with more freedom and confidence. Still early days but a win should give everyone a bit of a lift. My concern is corillo, just doesn’t look like he’s gonna score but pele was the same at first. I’d go long and gabbiadini for West Ham.

I agree about starting Long in the next game. Think he is at least more of a nuisance to the opposition defence.