Fraser Forster

spyinthesky

I was reminiscing over the 2015-16 season the other day and noticed Forster was named Premier League Player of the Month in February.  We of course also remember the Stekelenburg horror show from the following season, but it’s crazy how much worse Forster got.

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

I was reminiscing over the 2015-16 season the other day and noticed Forster was named Premier League Player of the Month in February.  We of course also remember the Stekelenburg horror show from the following season, but it’s crazy how much worse Forster got.

Stekelenburg played for Saints in the 2015-16 season. He played 17 league games, kept 4 clean sheets and conceded 19. Maybe not brilliant. But far from a horror show.

26 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Stekelenburg played for Saints in the 2015-16 season. He played 17 league games, kept 4 clean sheets and conceded 19. Maybe not brilliant. But far from a horror show.

Steklenburg also had a good season under Koeman at Everton after he left Saints. 

Another GK that appeared to underperform with us. 

Is Forster eligable to play for us this season?

If he is maybe Ralph will give him a few games and put him in the shop window, see if a PL club is tempted to buy our top earner.

Celtic can't afford his wages even if we gave Forster to them for free and he won't take a significant wage cut even though it would guarantee him legendary status among the Cetic supporters. At £90,000 a week Forster can just sit it out and neither Celtic or Saints gets his services. I don't think he is bothered either way.

18 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Forster is a greedy git. I still resent the additional unwarranted contract extension as it stank it the time and still does now. 

18 hours ago, Badger said:

Can't blame him for accepting it, the anger should be reserved for the stupid bald twat who offered it to him. Step forward, Les Bunsen. 

My memory is possibly playing tricks on me but wasn't there two factors in play around the time his contract was extended? Firstly, hadn't he been in good form leading up to the extension? Secondly, I seem to recall around that period that fans were often agitated at how long we typically waited to tie players down to a contract extension. I'm not saying the scale of the extension (both in terms of value and duration) wasn't taking things too far towards the opposite end of the scale, but I don't think the backdrop and context to the extension was as "what the f***?" as people are making out retrospectively? As I say, I could be mis-remembering events but there again.... (I guess digging out the forum thread at the time will be informative)

Edited by trousers

2 hours ago, Markyruk said:

Rumour going round that the Club are circulating that Gunn is available for transfer and that our 2 first choice keepers will be McCarthy and Forster.

Hope not. I just cant see Forster reestablishing himself here. Yes hes done well at Celtic, but hes rarely troubled in that league and he seems buoyed there because hes a fan favourite. His confidence was shot at us and he just isnt that good a keeper for PL level. Gunn is young and can still prove himself. Bit harsh that some have pinned the 9-0 on him, he couldnt have done anything for most of the goals and had a shambolic defence in front of him

I'd be tempted to get rid of FF and AMc, get a new clear no.1 and a younger keeper, up and coming from the Championship perhaps, and send Gunn out on loan. Completely freshen up that department of the team. There will hopefully, likely be at least 1 if not 2 new CBs plus RB and even CM, so they'll need to gel as a unit anyway!!

17 hours ago, Markyruk said:

Rumour going round that the Club are circulating that Gunn is available for transfer and that our 2 first choice keepers will be McCarthy and Forster.

I’m sure that’s just tactics to inflate Forster’s sale price. Ralph clearly favours younger players. I can’t see him being happy having our 1st and 2nd choice goalkeepers over 30.

1 hour ago, the saint in winchester said:

Insert Loan

Loan deal was agreed between the clubs. Forster is the one hanging out for a perm deal, according to that. Then he'll need to revise his wage expectation. Or Celtic will have to shop elsewhere, within their budget.

He won’t get a better chance of a permanent move after that last loan spell. Whether anyone wants to stump up the cash is another question. 

I don't really see how Forster moves to Celtic any way other than on loan.

No way they will get near his wages and no way he will walk away from his contract at Saints, and why should he - Reed was stupid enough to offer it.

So its seems odd that the breakdown in talks was supposedly Forster not agreeing to the move because he wants it to be a permanent one.

Maybe he feels like he wants another crack at the PL...and all the talk after RH came in was that in training he was the best keeper.

• 2 weeks later...

“It’s kind of bizarre the way it’s panned out. The impression we got at the end was that he wanted to stay at Southampton and fight for his place, which, again, is the player’s prerogative"

He can obviously sense a chance for himself to make amends with McCarthy and Gunn being less than impressive. If Forster came out for crosses he would instantly be twice the keeper we know him to be, with his height and build he should be dominating the box to the extent we almost never concede a headed goal. 

Interesting piece in The Athletic comparing McCarthy , Gunn and Forster.  Subscribers can access - https://theathletic.com/1926950/2020/07/20/mccarthy-gunn-and-a-6ft-7in-elephant-in-the-room-southampton-keepers-analysed?source=user-shared-article

Basically saying McCarthy good with hands and commanding on crosses but less effective with the ball. Gunn good with ball but shot save percentage one of the poorest in league. Forster had technique issue before being dropped. Taking off from wrong leg and too tall when one on one leaving big gaps inside legs and outside. 

Just now, LeG said:

McCarthy kicked the ball into touch about 5000 times on sunday. It was ridiculous.

No idea about Gunn really. Club expected him to be no.1 but seems pretty average.

Fraser Forster...no. 

We need a new signing to be a clear no.1 with McCarthy as back up. 

Do you know if the club are actively looking at goal keeping options? There has been talk that Fraser is coming back and is going to fight for his place here.

We should just loan/sell him to Celtic and subsidise his wages best for both the player and the club get as much of the cost off our books as possible and chalk it up to experience.  It's a shame as initially for us he looked really good, was playing for England and probably earned his contract extension even if his form had started to tail off at that point.

10 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

We should just loan/sell him to Celtic and subsidise his wages best for both the player and the club get as much of the cost off our books as possible and chalk it up to experience.  It's a shame as initially for us he looked really good, was playing for England and probably earned his contract extension even if his form had started to tail off at that point.

He's stock is at the highest it's been for years, we should absolutely be trying to sell him now when we don't need him.

If we could get his wages off the books and bring in £5-10M, we absolutely should.

12 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Well he has seemingly regained his confidence and form, so isn''t it worth seeing if we can use him again? He isn't great with his feet, but we don't really play out from the back anymore in the same way.

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Well he has seemingly regained his confidence and form, so isn''t it worth seeing if we can use him again? He isn't great with his feet, but we don't really play out from the back anymore in the same way.

Hmm - we do. You're wrong.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

You overlooked this part...

"In the same way"

Saints are now more willing to go longer and then counterpress with the opposition disorganised high up the pitch.

You're making the point that the keeper doesn't have to be good with his feet, IMO he absolutely does. Look at yesterday, pretty much all their chances came from us giving the ball to them from the keeper.

On 27/07/2020 at 10:27, Saint Garrett said:

You're making the point that the keeper doesn't have to be good with his feet, IMO he absolutely does. Look at yesterday, pretty much all their chances came from us giving the ball to them from the keeper.

Forster wasn't able to kick it long either, his kicks seemed always to go into touch, maybe a result of his early rugby playing. He is (or was) terrible with his feet, whether it is short or long. Not that Macca is that good either.

48 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Forster wasn't able to kick it long either, his kicks seemed always to go into touch, maybe a result of his early rugby playing. He is (or was) terrible with his feet, whether it is short or long. Not that Macca is that good either.

Oh absolutely, all of our keepers are pretty terrible on the ground.

28 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Oh absolutely, all of our keepers are pretty terrible on the ground.

Best keeper we've had in recent times for distribution was Gazzaniga, who was also a decent shot-stopper. Really lacked the presence in the area though and very prone to mistakes/lapses in confidence.

15 minutes ago, igsey said:

Joe Hart being linked with Celtic, if that happens then we're definitely stuck with Forster.

Celtic are spending £4.5m on goalkeeper Vasilis Barkas from AEK Athens. He flew into Scotland yesterday.

Neil Lennon has already said that Forster's intention is to win his place back at Saints, so it isn't a surprise Celtic are signing the Greek international keeper.

“We’re disappointed with the Fraser issue. It’s kind of bizarre the way it’s panned out. The impression we got was that he wanted to stay at Southampton and fight for his place, which is the player’s prerogative. But we had been led to believe something else.” - Neil Lennon

Edited by Matthew Le God

37 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Celtic are spending £4.5m on goalkeeper Vasilis Barkas from AEK Athens. He flew into Scotland yesterday.

Neil Lennon has already said that Forster's intention is to win his place back at Saints, so it isn't a surprise Celtic are signing the Greek international keeper.

“We’re disappointed with the Fraser issue. It’s kind of bizarre the way it’s panned out. The impression we got was that he wanted to stay at Southampton and fight for his place, which is the player’s prerogative. But we had been led to believe something else.” - Neil Lennon

More likely that he just didn’t fancy a pay cut. 

43 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Something not quite right here.

”The impression we got” followed by “we had been led to believe something else”

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

Something not quite right here.

”The impression we got” followed by “we had been led to believe something else”

Chelsea were sniffing as well  at the time, not sure if they still are. Their priority at the mo seems to be a new number 1 and Forster is certainly not going to be that!

6 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

We knew it already, but Celtic is a no go with them spending £4.5m on a new keeper...

As per your post earlier in this thread and before that someone else pointing it out also. Poor posting.

I can't believe the Club is going to be lumbered with Forster - that stinking contract extension FF has at SFC seems to be the attraction for him to "fight for his place".      So many crap performances from him, and the prospect of him returning is truly abject.

31 minutes ago, austsaint said:

I can't believe the Club is going to be lumbered with Forster - that stinking contract extension FF has at SFC seems to be the attraction for him to "fight for his place".      So many crap performances from him, and the prospect of him returning is truly abject.

Does his return to form and confidence after a very positive loan spell not make it any better?

Edited by Matthew Le God